SDN in Diskworld...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

SDN in Diskworld...

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

in identical vien to the SDN in Middle Earth, Westereos, etc threads. The SDN community awakens in Diskworld, with some nominal changes, one we all have perfectly healthy bodies, (although Ender, Dalton, and Death look exactly like their avatars but only enough for shakespearian mistaken idenity comedy, someone is not actually the head of the Morpork Guard, a simian wizzard, or the incarnation of death, you just look like them). The mission, find and retrieve sufficant magic to cure Alezhiemers, Diabeties, and Hemocromitosis.
(aka save Prattchett, make the bear and several others lives more manageable, and save Nitram)

yes we know what we know, and have access to the usual amount of stuff we can bring with us. while in diskworld our normal bodies are sleeping in stasis, while we inhabit normal perfect (maybe slightly superhuman (preinnoculated to just about everything) bodies)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN in Diskworld...

Post by Steve »

I give this crowd maybe thirty minutes before we do something to run afoul of the Watch.... :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, given how Discworld works... are we the heros or the villains of this story? That will determine how well we do.

One question: where do we start? Are we in Lancre? Klatch? Uberwald? Ank Morpork? Where?

If we start in Morpork, I head for the gates as fast as possible: no getting mugged for me. :) Then I head to one of the nicer countries with lots of magical folk and try to get them to talk to me about magical cures. Who would be most likely to help us? I'm not sure. Or I suppose we could try the Unseen University. I'm just nervous about being stuck in Ank Morpork.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That's actually an important distinction, given how Discworld runs on Narrative. Wish I'd brought it up.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Yosemite Bear

well we do need to get to the university which is in Ank Mopork, the fact that three denizens look like people in the books may help...

given that the destination is in AM my guess is we shall all be starting in Lancre (keep your female cats safe)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'd try lighting the Ankh river on fire.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

I'd Reread as many of the books as possible before going, and use me new found "prediction" powers start a religion about a god of knowledge. When the god's made'd I'd just ask it the cures to the 3 aliments, of course I would manipulate the people so the young gods personality would be compelled to give me the answers.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Given our trio looks like they look, will the narrative just glom onto them?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Yosemite Bear

what trio?

ok Dalton posts when he has time, and the spam bot looks like the reaper man, but there's a lot more than three of us, just three people who have had diskworld avvys since the beginning...

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

First, find a magic sword if at all possible. Second, try wandering around til I meet some quirky comic-relief characters with crises that need solving. Help out. Not only do I gain some good Karma and hopefully resistance to death by being a hero, by helping others sooner or later I'm bound to stumble onto the object of my own quest, the cures.

That's just how it works in the Disc.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I make sure not to introduce modern inventions/knowledge into the Discworld, considering how rock and roll, motion pictures has both unleashed other dimensional forces in.
Even the printing press/newspaper has had an unworldly aspect involved(feed the press).

Hell, eating Fish and Chips is dangerous enough, given what happened to Mr Hong:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner