What if people gained superpowers?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

What if people gained superpowers?

Post by Dr Roberts »

If this is in the wrong place then please move it.
What would happen if 1/4 of the world developed superpowers?
What would different governments do?
Would there be discrimination?
How would religions act?
If you had these powers what would you honestly do?
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What if people gained superpowers?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

What powers?

Discrimination? Yes, probably. By the superhumans over regular humans.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Flight, speed strength and durability.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

People would ask what happened to the laws of physics?
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ah, the basic Superman powers. Though I'd still like to know how high, how fast, how strong, and how durable. Can I outfly a jet? Can I shrug off a nuke? If the latter is the case, the worlds' militaries just became obsolete.

In any case, I'd become an advocate for peaceful coexistence and superhuman rights, and if superhuman myself, I would probably hide it to avoid persecution/government attention/etc. I might possibly agree to use my powers to help in disaster relief, if a time came when it was safe to reveal them, but I'm not going to take up crime fighting.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Flight about 600 mph and durable enough to stop a grenade blast.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

If you had kids would they gain the same powers?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

So flight speed of 600 mph max and durable enough to stop a grenade blast. The latter doesn't help much. How does a blast from a frag grenade compared to small arms fire?

How strong would the super be? Be able to lift 500lbs? 1000lbs? 10,000lbs?

What is the max ground speed? Same as flight?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Lift 4 tonnes. Reach mach 1 running.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Now I'm envisioning a super-powered mercenary company willing to do dirty missions for a price...

Can these supers be overwhelmed by, say, sufficient numbers of bullets? Shrapnel from an artillery round landing nearby?

Define 'durable'-- will their skin stop bullets, or is it more a case of being able to shrug off wounds?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

If roughly 1/4th of the world gets those powers, then that 1/4th is going to either enslave the other 3/4ths in short order or be hunted down and destroyed out of fear.

I have at least 8 'bad kids' combined in my classes I teach, and your're telling me that at least two of them can throw a car whenever they want? That's gonna destroy society.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Massive disturbances of the peace flare up as the new supers begin to test their powers. The London riots will look like a fight between 6-year-olds with supersoakers in comparison. Assuming that modern military equipment can kill a super (eventually), most of the First world and much of the Second can probably put down any "rebels" with a combination of technology and supers of their own. The Third World, on the other hand, promptly devolves into yet more brush warfare that culminates in dictators with superpowers, then business as usual.

If supers are able to survive most of the gear modern tech can throw at them... well, then I, for one, welcome our new superdickish overlords. 8)
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Be able to stop small arms fire. Easily
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Dr Roberts wrote:Be able to stop small arms fire. Easily
In that case, unless the numbers of law-abiding supers outnumber non-law-abiding supers, we're boned. Lovely.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

check out my Darth Vader impression
Ack! *Thud*

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Forgothrax wrote:
Dr Roberts wrote:Be able to stop small arms fire. Easily
In that case, unless the numbers of law-abiding supers outnumber non-law-abiding supers, we're boned. Lovely.
There will be a brief period of adjustment... :twisted:
Really though, I don't know about in general, but at the very least, I'd assume that most superpowered individuals would try to protect their (non-powered) families from the depredations of less scrupulous supers.

Are these powers now passed down hereditarily? If a super has sex with a non-super, do the kids always get powers, or never, or somewhere in-between?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

There's going to be a short period (anywhere from 12-24 hours) in which people get used to their powers. Then it'll sink in to people that a quarter of the population are, literally, unbound by any force of law. How many street gangs are going to decide it's time to get even with the cops and send a few supers downtown to rip the police stations and the jails apart? Heck, for that matter, if people can fly at 600 mph, how long will it take for a few of the enemies America's made to come over--

Holy crap. Super-Shroom! :shock: :twisted:
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Forgothrax wrote:There's going to be a short period (anywhere from 12-24 hours) in which people get used to their powers. Then it'll sink in to people that a quarter of the population are, literally, unbound by any force of law. How many street gangs are going to decide it's time to get even with the cops and send a few supers downtown to rip the police stations and the jails apart? Heck, for that matter, if people can fly at 600 mph, how long will it take for a few of the enemies America's made to come over--

Don't worry. Shroom will make the world a better place. He will restore order...by replacing it with insanity. Very glorious insanity.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Forgothrax wrote:There's going to be a short period (anywhere from 12-24 hours) in which people get used to their powers. Then it'll sink in to people that a quarter of the population are, literally, unbound by any force of law. How many street gangs are going to decide it's time to get even with the cops and send a few supers downtown to rip the police stations and the jails apart? Heck, for that matter, if people can fly at 600 mph, how long will it take for a few of the enemies America's made to come over--

Problem is, one quarter of the gang members and terrorists may have superpowers, but so will one quarter of the cops and soldiers. The balance of power is maintained.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The Romulan Republic wrote:

Problem is, one quarter of the gang members and terrorists may have superpowers, but so will one quarter of the cops and soldiers. The balance of power is maintained.
Not necessarily. Just because one quarter of the world's population gets super powers doesn't mean that it is an equal distribution throughout all groups. In other words, it doesn't mean 1/4 terrorists\cops\military\doctors\etc... are super powered.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Enigma wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:

Not necessarily. Just because one quarter of the world's population gets super powers doesn't mean that it is an equal distribution throughout all groups. In other words, it doesn't mean 1/4 terrorists\cops\military\doctors\etc... are super powered.
This is a good point. When it says 1/4, is that "1/4 of the populationin absolute numbers" or "every third person in a given area gains superpowers."

If it's the first one, great, 1.5 billion superpowered humans. I get the feeling they will mostly be Chinese or Indian.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Well the OP wasn't more specific. Just said one quarter of the world's population. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Well cops start carrying weapons others than small arms. Plus there's small arms and then there are SMALL ARMS. Basicly 38 S&W versus 50cal Desert Eagle.
Also how do they handle tasers, pepper spray, metal rebar to the back of the head, sledge hammer to the side of the knee.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes