First picture of Tom Hardy as Bane

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Magellan
Youngling

First picture of Tom Hardy as Bane

Post by Magellan »

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: First picture of Tom Hardy as Bane

Post by JME2 »

I was wondering how Banes' visual look was going to work; Nolan certainly wouldn't try to go for the Mexican wrestler.

Not too bad.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

What is up with his back? Does it look odd to anyone else?
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No, not really. The guy's supposed to be massive. Doesn't look all that different from what I've seen in Pro Wrestling promos :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Looks okay, I guess. I preferred Ras, Joker, and Two Faces' looks.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Looks okay, I guess. I preferred Ras, Joker, and Two Faces' looks.
Again, the Mexican Wrestler look wouldn't translate to screen or the realism of the Nolanverse.

It's only the first shot, so we'll see more soon.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

JME2 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Looks okay, I guess. I preferred Ras, Joker, and Two Faces' looks.
Again, the Mexican Wrestler look wouldn't translate to screen or the realism of the Nolanverse.
Indeed. I'm not saying I wanted comics Bane. I'm honestly not sure what I expected.
It's only the first shot, so we'll see more soon.
True.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It does exactly what a teaser image is supposed to do -- it piques our interest.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And I like it. That's a bad sign. I mean look back over my Nolanverse comments-every time I said 'this aspect of the movie is going to suck' it worked out beautifully. The suits, the Tumbler, their take on the Joker or Harvey, I said it couldn't possibly work, and it did.
Now I think it could work.
I'm officially terrified.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:I'm officially terrified.
I though Gotham's criminals were supposed to be cowardly and superstitious, not you. :wink: 8)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Are you telling me you're not the tiniest bit worried? So far, I have a 100 percent failure rate with regards to judging whether or not things in the Nolanverse will actually work. Now I think their implementation of Bane doesn't look so bad and that doesn't bother you in the least? :D
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I'm not exactly thrilled. He's muscular enough, but I'm worried about the S&M mask.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:Are you telling me you're not the tiniest bit worried? So far, I have a 100 percent failure rate with regards to judging whether or not things in the Nolanverse will actually work. Now I think their implementation of Bane doesn't look so bad and that doesn't bother you in the least? :D
Eh, a little.

But I'm worried too.

Bane would not have been my first choice for a Bat-Villain and I still have questions about how he'll fit into the Nolanverse.

And the specter of Shinzon still hangs above Hardy (no, I still not have seen Inception and I know he's supposed to be better.)

But, I had concerns about Scarecrow being in the first film and Ledger's casting. Nolan proved me wrong on both counts, so we'll see if he goes for the hat trick.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I still don't understand why they went with Bane to begin with. Both Edward and Dr Isley would have worked perfectly well (better, I think, for the quasirealistic approach they're taking with the Nolanverse) but I very much suspect we've been over that too.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I suspect Riddler would have been too similar to the Nolanverse Joker.

Bane has potential if done properly. It'll probably be akin to Knightfall, with Bane taking advantage of the deaths of Maroni, Gambol, and the Chechen to seize control of Gotham's underworld.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Batman wrote:No, not really. The guy's supposed to be massive. Doesn't look all that different from what I've seen in Pro Wrestling promos :D
I was referring to the odd glowing along his spine in the second picture. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Batman wrote:Are you telling me you're not the tiniest bit worried? So far, I have a 100 percent failure rate with regards to judging whether or not things in the Nolanverse will actually work. Now I think their implementation of Bane doesn't look so bad and that doesn't bother you in the least? :D
I'd prefer to call it a 100% rate of underestimating. So that bodes well for Bane!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Batman wrote:No, not really. The guy's supposed to be massive. Doesn't look all that different from what I've seen in Pro Wrestling promos :D
I was referring to the odd glowing along his spine in the second picture. Sorry I wasn't clear.
The term you're looking for is ambient lighting?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Batman wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:
The term you're looking for is ambient lighting?
A cropped picture is worth a thousand words of explanation.

That really doesn't look like ambient lighting to me. Maybe I'm just being stupid here.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

It's just how the light reflects off his back. Not a light or anything like that.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

JME2 wrote:And the specter of Shinzon still hangs above Hardy (no, I still not have seen Inception and I know he's supposed to be better.)
Oh come on, man. You're basing your perceptions on a lame Star Trek movie. You could probably go on about how the specter of Picard hangs above Patrick Stewart and making you uneasy about his role in the X-Men movies. :P

TBH, I don't know about Shinzon. He was broody and evilly and I guess lame, but everything in Nemesis was lame. But I can't really say Shinzon was a character at all and I can't really differentiate him from, say, Nero in the new Star Trek. Except everything else in the new Star Trek was less lame, so nobody's really pooh poohing Eric Bana because of his role in that movie - even if Nero wasn't really any better or worse than Shinzon as a character. One-dimensional angry broody characters, in their dark gloomy space ships of doom, with a major hard on for the protagonist (Spock for Nero, Picard for Shinzon).

Seriously, Nero did nothing in Star Trek except growl at the screen, and nobody's doubting Eric Bana's chops. Then again, he did go toe to toe with Brad Pitt on the shores of Troy.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Magellan
Youngling

Post by Magellan »

JME2 wrote:
Eh, a little.

But I'm worried too.

Bane would not have been my first choice for a Bat-Villain and I still have questions about how he'll fit into the Nolanverse.

And the specter of Shinzon still hangs above Hardy (no, I still not have seen Inception and I know he's supposed to be better.)

But, I had concerns about Scarecrow being in the first film and Ledger's casting. Nolan proved me wrong on both counts, so we'll see if he goes for the hat trick.
Um, Hardy has had other parts in between Star Trek and Inception. He's kind of already proven he can act. So did Ledger before The Joker.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Hardy looks pretty good as Bane, but I dislike the mask. The way it projects outward and the silvery bits look like teeth give him this weird insect mouth feel to me rather than a skeleton's teeth/death mask look. Maybe it's just the angle, but I don't know it just keeps drawing my eye and I don't like it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Magellan wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Eh, a little.

But I'm worried too.

Um, Hardy has had other parts in between Star Trek and Inception. He's kind of already proven he can act. So did Ledger before The Joker.
Again, I haven't seen Inception or any of Hardy's films since then. And given how Ledger turned out as the Joker, I'm giving Hardy a chance as Bane.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Am I the only person who sees the mask as something like a Hannibal thing?
All I hope for is that they portray Bane as smart. For God's sake, anything but another dumb-ass big idiot Bane! We need the man who broke the Bat!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.