Captain America SPOILERS!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Captain America SPOILERS!

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Cooler King wrote:For the record, I agree with Hav 100%. I do think the only Marvel flick better than this is Iron Man. The movie REALLY nails Cap as a character; the scene where I knew this, without reservations, was when Dr. Erskine asks Steve if he wants to go overseas and kill Nazis. Steve humbly responds, "I don't want to kill anyone. I just don't like bullies, no matter where they're from." THAT's Captain America, right there.
Hmmm.

You know, what really cemented that, if not that scene, was the grenade scene. If that hadn't been spoilered for me in the trailer, it would have been kind of a jaw-dropper. Definitely would make the character even if nothing else had.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I knida wish they had left that out as well, but it was a fairly predictable moment and I don't think it would have been as much of a jaw dropper as a "damn right Cap is gonna jump on it!" moment.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

This movie wins for most unexpected, and ironic appearance by a Marvel character (considering who was cast as Cap): the Golden Age Human Torch, encased in glass, at the Stark expo.

I agree with the sentiments here that, this movie is second only to Iron Man. I was a little disappointed in the post-credits scene...guess at this point they are just out of reveals for "Avengers".
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well like I said, it looks like they have been avoiding reminding people of the Hulk and there wasn't a peep out of his green ass in the trailer, so I guessing he is going to be Loki's muscle and a real challenge for ALL the Avengers which if FUCKING AWESOME!! :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Havok wrote:I knida wish they had left that out as well, but it was a fairly predictable moment and I don't think it would have been as much of a jaw dropper as a "damn right Cap is gonna jump on it!" moment.
That's because you already know exactly what kind of man Cap is. Many in the audience don't, or not to anywhere near the same degree you do.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

In that case then it's OK to have it in the trailer as they should have a sense of that going in. Or at the very least as a lure. There are other "Cap" moments that come through in the movie.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Havok wrote:Yeah and it sucks. The Punisher, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and X-Men all are licensed out and I think Disney/Marvel has to honor the previous contracts which have usage stipulations that say the studios with the license rights have to make a movie in X amount of time or the rights revert.
Actually, The Punisher is back with Marvel I believe. Mainly because the movies kept bombing.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

War Zone was fucking GREAT. I don't care what anyone says. It was like watching a comic book.
Maybe that is what hurt it, I don't know, but it is better than the piss poor Jane/Travolta garbage that has the Punisher punish through other people and psychology.

I am glad that Marvel has it back and hope they at least give Ray Stevens the role back. Seeing as they worked with him on Thor already, I can see that happening. Plus his name is getting bigger, so he may be more of a draw when it rolls around next time.

I hope Disney doesn't nerf the movie to a PG-13 like Lionsgate tried to do, although, it does make more sense financially.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Havok wrote:Well like I said, it looks like they have been avoiding reminding people of the Hulk
There was one little bit, remember the vials of Caps blood being pulled out? That was the stuff used to power up Blonksy.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Marikina
Redshirt

Post by Marikina »

neoolong wrote: Actually, The Punisher is back with Marvel I believe.
So is Blade.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Havok wrote:Well like I said, it looks like they have been avoiding reminding people of the Hulk
There was one little bit, remember the vials of Caps blood being pulled out? That was the stuff used to power up Blonksy.
Shit! Good call. I missed that.

But if I missed it, how many other people did?

Marvel is doing a great job of pulling this all together.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Marikina wrote:
neoolong wrote: Actually, The Punisher is back with Marvel I believe.
So is Blade.
Really? I really liked the Blade Trilogy as a whole, even if some of the third one suffered a bit.

I wonder what they are going to do with the casting?

I also wonder if Disney acquiring Marvel has anything to do with people letting the licenses laps and revert back. Afraid of the Mouse's lawyers maybe? :D

I guess we will see if FF goes back. I know Fox isn't going to let go of Spidey and X-Men unless they are forced to.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Havok wrote:In that case then it's OK to have it in the trailer as they should have a sense of that going in. Or at the very least as a lure. There are other "Cap" moments that come through in the movie.
I think in some respects that was the best- I'd be happier if they'd skipped it. But eh, no worries.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Havok wrote:Shit! Good call. I missed that.

But if I missed it, how many other people did?

Marvel is doing a great job of pulling this all together.

I think Marvel has its shit together. DC can only seem to put out Batman and Superman movies; just about everything else they've tried has fallen flat on its face. Geoff Johns at DC has stated that DC is just going to concentrate on individual movies rather than a coherent universe, it seems in spite of how sucessful Marvel's cinematic universe is going. I personally think that no matter what, if you make a good movie, people will see it. Marvel has been making good movies; apart from the last few Batman flicks (and iffy on movies like Watchmen), DC has not.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

For the record, Cap has done half of what Green Lantern has done all tolled, in three days. 8)
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Of course, Harry Potter has made $833 Million dollars in 10 days. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Havok wrote:For the record, Cap has done half of what Green Lantern has done all tolled, in three days. 8)

It's also an almost infinitely better movie. I'm as much a Green Lantern fan as anyone, but that movie was pretty damn boring. I still kind of like it, but compared to Cap, it's pants-on-head retarded.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Keep in mind, Captain America came out during comic-con weekend, arguably the biggest drawndown of nerds on the calendar.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just saw, and wow. I'd call this better than Iron Man. They're very different mvies with very different feels, but they're both excellent.

The Skull's bespectacled minion is Armin Zola, better known to true believers as Modoc. I was kind of suprised, it being a Cap movie they didn't go with Baron Zemo, but the Baron's backstory would have just dragged the movie down.

Peggy Carter is obviously the mother? Grandmother? of Sharon Carter, who I believe was the fake nurse at the end.

I liked very much that the movie began with the discovery of Cap in the Arctic, and ended with him waking up in a new world. That will save some time during the Avengers movie.

Hugo Weaving is just incredible. He really channels that pulp mad scientist feeling: complimenting Cap on his movies, insulting him using larger words than stricly necessary, then ranting about seizing the power of gods. It very much evoked an entire genre of iflm, all without seeming unbelieveable somehow.

Ladies and Gentlemen (if any may be found on this board) It has taking a long time and much sacrifice, the search has been arduous and thorough, but at long last we have found some evil minons with worse peripheral vision than Imperial Stormtroopers: Hydra Goons. Seriously, how do you miss a man wearing red white and blue when he's twenty feet away, directly in front of you?

On a similar note, the suicide fighter-bombs were incredibly stupid, and we're still not entirely sure what their payload is, other than it probably being related to the Cube and derivative energy weapons. And the flying-wing bomber already has two jet engines, what more could the dozen props provide? Aside from looking very dieselpunk.

Did anyone else have to suppress the urge to shout out "My God, it's full of stars" right there in the theater when the Skull was defeated? The special effects there looked very similar to the bifrost in Thor, with even more of a lightning effect. Methinks they're keeping the Skull in the backpocket for more potential sequels.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Oh, and a minor thing. This was the first 3D film I've seen since 1996. The technology has notably improved, but it still felt like a gimmick and a distraction from the plot. I got a headache and some minor visual confusion issues whenever they did an action sequeence with rapid cuts and/or camera movement, and sometimes when the actors moved quickly. I eventually just took off the glasses for the fight scenes and everything was fine beyond some things have fuzzy borders and occasionally seeing double.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Ahriman238 wrote:
On a similar note, the suicide fighter-bombs were incredibly stupid, and we're still not entirely sure what their payload is, other than it probably being related to the Cube and derivative energy weapons. And the flying-wing bomber already has two jet engines, what more could the dozen props provide? Aside from looking very dieselpunk.
I didn't think those fighters were suicide bombers. The fighter-craft and bombs themselves appeared to be two distinct things in the bomb bay.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Ahriman238 wrote:Just saw, and wow. I'd call this better than Iron Man. They're very different mvies with very different feels, but they're both excellent.

The Skull's bespectacled minion is Armin Zola, better known to true believers as Modoc. I was kind of suprised, it being a Cap movie they didn't go with Baron Zemo, but the Baron's backstory would have just dragged the movie down.

Peggy Carter is obviously the mother? Grandmother? of Sharon Carter, who I believe was the fake nurse at the end.

I liked very much that the movie began with the discovery of Cap in the Arctic, and ended with him waking up in a new world. That will save some time during the Avengers movie.

Hugo Weaving is just incredible. He really channels that pulp mad scientist feeling: complimenting Cap on his movies, insulting him using larger words than stricly necessary, then ranting about seizing the power of gods. It very much evoked an entire genre of iflm, all without seeming unbelieveable somehow.

Ladies and Gentlemen (if any may be found on this board) It has taking a long time and much sacrifice, the search has been arduous and thorough, but at long last we have found some evil minons with worse peripheral vision than Imperial Stormtroopers: Hydra Goons. Seriously, how do you miss a man wearing red white and blue when he's twenty feet away, directly in front of you?

Did anyone else have to suppress the urge to shout out "My God, it's full of stars" right there in the theater when the Skull was defeated? The special effects there looked very similar to the bifrost in Thor, with even more of a lightning effect. Methinks they're keeping the Skull in the backpocket for more potential sequels.

I did like that bit with Skull 'disintegrating' in almost the same effect as Bifrost. I agree with you that they're waiting to use the Skull (and Bucky, as well... they practically telegraphed the whole 'Winter Soldier' storyline!) in future movies.

Just a technical fanboy nerd note, though: Arnim Zola and MODOK are two separate characters. Zola had a weird robot body with a Kirbytech head and a giant television face in the stomach, while MODOK was a giant head (with vestigial limbs) who was created from an AIM technician.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just a technical fanboy nerd note, though: Arnim Zola and MODOK are two separate characters. Zola had a weird robot body with a Kirbytech head and a giant television face in the stomach, while MODOK was a giant head (with vestigial limbs) who was created from an AIM technician.
Whoops! Sorry, I must have glanced at a comic with Zola at some point and, well, giant face kind of just screams Modok to me. I looked them both up and you are correct, and Zola's been around since at least Kirby's day.

I will say they seem to have done some major retconning of Modok. Every mention of him I could find spoke of a comparitively recent arc with Modok being a biological supercomputer gone rogue. But I definitly have a couple of Iron Man and a Force Works comic that precedes that arc by a a decade or so.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ahriman238 wrote:Hugo Weaving is just incredible. He really channels that pulp mad scientist feeling: complimenting Cap on his movies, insulting him using larger words than stricly necessary, then ranting about seizing the power of gods. It very much evoked an entire genre of iflm, all without seeming unbelieveable somehow.
Agreed- he did a really good job.
On a similar note, the suicide fighter-bombs were incredibly stupid, and we're still not entirely sure what their payload is, other than it probably being related to the Cube and derivative energy weapons.
That's the way to bet. Hydra has amazingly advanced weapons, but when you think about it, their computer technology is still in the 1940s- the only way to reliably pilot a missile to a target from long range is if it's manned. I would bet on something with energy derived from the Cube and a nuclear-equivalent yield: given the blast we saw even a tiny grain of the power storage cell from a Hydra weapon yield (the one that has Howard Stark going "write that down"), this is not implausible.

On which note I think Howard Stark was done well- you get a sense that he's enough like Tony Stark to be his father, but at the same time he's very much his own character with that (fully appropriate) Howard Hughes vibe.
And the flying-wing bomber already has two jet engines, what more could the dozen props provide? Aside from looking very dieselpunk.
The real-life B-36, the first intercontinental-range bomber, had four jet and six pusher-prop engines. This was actually not unreasonable as a way to design a plane for long range and high top speed, because the jet engines of the period were fuel-hungry and rather unreliable. So for the flying wing to have a similar design feature is not unreasonable- though the flying wing's cruising speed would then be relatively low.

Or perhaps the propellers are in part backup? I don't know.
Skylon wrote:I didn't think those fighters were suicide bombers. The fighter-craft and bombs themselves appeared to be two distinct things in the bomb bay.
A point. They might be parasite fighters (which still has a high risk of losing one's life because it's so hard to 'land' back on the bomber). Then again, they might be manned missiles, equivalent to cruise missiles, so that the bomber can launch long range standoff attacks against some of its bigger targets without having to worry so much about flak and fighters directly defending those cities.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I believe those were manned missiles based on an actual design, many of the Hydra vehicles seemed to be based on those Nazi Secret Weapons you see on History Channel a lot. The plane was reminiscent of the Amerika Bomber, there was a big tank that represented the Maus and/or Ratte, Skull's plane he used to escape the base after seeing cap the first time was a Nazi VTOL design.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.