The Dark Knight Rises Teaser

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

The Dark Knight Rises Teaser

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

So there's been about a million fake Dark Knight Rises teaser trailers posted online in the past few days.

Here's the real deal.

Not much to go on, but hey.
Havok
Miscreant

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Teaser

Post by Havok »

Well you have Bane (Tom Hardy) and his mask and he is clearly giving Batman a run for his money.

You can also assume that he, or someone else fucked up Gordon pretty good.

Also if the dialogue isn't horribly cut up and respliced, it seems like Batman has actually been absent for a time, not just evading the Police or whoever is hunting him.

Did this come out with Harry Potter?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Havok wrote:Well you have Bane (Tom Hardy) and his mask and he is clearly giving Batman a run for his money.

You can also assume that he, or someone else fucked up Gordon pretty good.

Also if the dialogue isn't horribly cut up and respliced, it seems like Batman has actually been absent for a time, not just evading the Police or whoever is hunting him.

Did this come out with Harry Potter?
Yeah.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Gordon's dialogue was hard to hear in the theaters; glad to make sense of it here.

This is must-see film of 2012, alongside the first half of The Hobbit.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Liked the Bane mask. Didn't like that half of the trailer is older footage from the first two movies.

Not much more to say. If brevity is the soul of wit, this trailer has more soul than Aretha Franklin.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It also seems that Gordon is talking to Wayne about Batman and not Batman about Batman. A clue that he may have revealed his identity.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:It also seems that Gordon is talking to Wayne about Batman and not Batman about Batman. A clue that he may have revealed his identity.
Or that Gordon guessed.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I theorize that Gordon was onto Bruce Wayne being Batman in TDK when Bruce saved Reese.

Let's face it, as a child Bruce Wayne saw his parents murdered right in front of him (which Gordon would know about firsthand), Batman pretty much shows up right when Bruce Wayne reappears as an adult, Batman's equipped with all sorts of presumably expensive toys, the guy that says he knows who Batman is works for Wayne Enterprises, and Bruce Wayne happens to be the guy that "accidentally" saves Reese.

Seems awfully suspicious.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I misread that at first as him figuring out when Batman saved Rachel, which is another possibility. If Gordon knows that Bruce and Rachel were friends/romantically involved, Batman trying to save her over Dent is suggestive as well.

Really, there are a lot of ways Gordon could guess it.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Or maybe he's in the hospital, and thus incapable, and thinks Bruce Wayne is the only guy with the resources to find Batman, or who can be trusted to do so?

It's hard to make concrete inferences from movie trailers.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:It's hard to make concrete inferences from movie trailers.
We've got a year until the film comes out; this should make for months and months of fun speculation. 8)
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Uh... I got the impression Gordon was talking to Batman in that scene. :?
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Pretty sure he's talking to Wayne and telling him to become Batman again. The voice being used by Bale is his Bruce Wayne voice, not his Batman voice. Also why would he respond "What if he doesn't exist anymore," when prompted by Gordon if he was sitting there in his Batman gear? One way or the other he's exposing his identity right then and there in that scene.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lord Insanity wrote:Uh... I got the impression Gordon was talking to Batman in that scene. :?
You can see Wayne's hand on the chair. Not the gloved hand of Batman.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

avatarxprime wrote:Pretty sure he's talking to Wayne and telling him to become Batman again. The voice being used by Bale is his Bruce Wayne voice, not his Batman voice. Also why would he respond "What if he doesn't exist anymore," when prompted by Gordon if he was sitting there in his Batman gear? One way or the other he's exposing his identity right then and there in that scene.
One thing I liked about "Batman: Year One" was Gordon pretty much figures Bruce Wayne is Batman but never pegs down concrete evidence. He even sees Wayne out of costume when he saves Gordon's kid, but comments "You know, I'm practically blind without my glasses" which read more of as a way of acknowledging he would deny knowing Wayne was Batman.

Considering that is one of the sources that the films have drawn upon, I'd like it if they keep this angle, that Gordon knows, he figured it, but he keeps quiet about it.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

The car crash defense scene from TDK was kind of cool for this. Much like Willem Dafoe versus Christian Bale in American Psycho, it seems like they shot the scene specifically so it's ambiguous if Gordon actually knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. But then, Chris Nolan never likes to give away the game too much.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Love it, looking forward to this one for next year. There is still this small doubt as to whether or not Bane will work with the gritty realism of the films, but I'm putting my faith in Chris Nolan to bring it home.
But I fear the threequel curse will strike again...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Captain Spiro wrote:But I fear the threequel curse will strike again...
The interesting thing about trilogy curses is that it originally was the second film that broke into bad news, while the third was traditionally ok but on the coattails of the seconds bad news. I wonder if it were possible to look back and figure out when the threequel curse replaced the older trilogy curse.

This looks decent and actually makes me think of Batman Beyond, which is no bad thing.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Agent Sorchus wrote:
Captain Spiro wrote:This looks decent and actually makes me think of Batman Beyond, which is no bad thing.
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a live-action Batman Beyond set in the Nolan-verse.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

JME2 wrote:
Agent Sorchus wrote:
Captain Spiro wrote:This looks decent and actually makes me think of Batman Beyond, which is no bad thing.
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a live-action Batman Beyond set in the Nolan-verse.
I've been thinking Live Action Batman Beyond would be a really good choice to follow the Nolan Trilogy. They did plan to do one before the Nolan Trilogy was decided upon.

But BB would be awesome. It could serve as a softer reboot than having a new young Bruce. And I think people are getting bored with the dark and gritty nature of modern films and want lighter funner fair, like Iron Man. Batman Beyond always managed to strike a decent mix of darkness coupled with fun and humour.

Then again TDK kick IM's ass. And The Brave And The Bold cartoon proves you can do a lighter Bruce Wayne Batman. What can I say? I'm a BB fanboy.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

If they could pull it off, it'd be awesome.

On an unrelated note, Christopher Judge AKA Teal'c of Stargate SG-1 has been cast in the film. It'll likely be a small role, but fun to have a SG alum aboard.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm actually of two minds on this issue. TDK was the better movie, no questions asked, but I think Iron Man was the more fun one.
Dramatically I think TDK was the superior movie but entertainment? Iron Man all the way. While a proper Batman movie has to take itself way too seriously, the comparative levity of the IM movies made for a nice change (both of them being damn good movies certainly didn't hurt, though I was somewhat miffed about the palladium poisoning coming out of nowhere in the second one).
And I'm not sure a live action BB movie would work. Nevermind that franchise being pretty obscure outside the comics community, we've just established me having recently taken up Batmaning as per the Nolan movies. Now you want the audience to accept that was decades ago and I'm suddenly an old man. That works in animation because I've been on the job for the better part of 7 decades and I'm not getting any younger. In the Nolanverse, I've been doing it for a few years at best.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Ironically, they were originally planning to do a live-action Batman Beyond movie. With Keannu Reeves as Terry. But it got stuck in development hell and ended up being scrapped in favor of Batman Begins.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Something I'm glad about. Not that I have anything against Batman Beyond, but Nolan's two films have been excellent.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

And I really can't imagine Keannu Reeves as high school age Terry.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer