New Pic From The Hobbit

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: New Pic From The Hobbit

Post by Ahriman238 »

Okay, what's up with the mini-polearm the far right one is sporting? One thing I liked greatly about the LotR trilogy was that the arms and armor had all the distinctive flourishes of different cultures without sacrificing practicality.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Ahriman238 wrote:Okay, what's up with the mini-polearm the far right one is sporting? One thing I liked greatly about the LotR trilogy was that the arms and armor had all the distinctive flourishes of different cultures without sacrificing practicality.
It looks like a short glaive (a fairly effective polearm with a number of relatives and analogs including the japanese naginata), with a boar spear type crosspiece added which would be handy against charging wargs and warg riders.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Bombur looks very impressively fat. That's how Volstagg should have looked like in Thor.

Also, Bofur might just be the coolest beard so far.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok theres just somehting I noticed. In The Hobbit, unless I'm forgetting something, the repetition of names comes from the Dwarfs often having twins and triplets.

Dori, Nori, Ori, all brothers and triplets. Kili and Fili, twins. Bifur and Bofur, etc.
So.. shouldn't the movie had tried to make them look the same age?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

the repetition of names comes from the Dwarfs often having twins and triplets
No. Siblings have similar names, for the most part, but Kili and Fili are the only twins. They were also the youngest by far, if I recall.

Of course, the real reason they all have similar names is because aside from Thorin, Balin, and Bombur, they're basically named extras.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Flame of Udûn
Redshirt

Post by Flame of Udûn »

Fíli and Kíli are not twins, they were born five years apart. Bombur isn't married either, or at least, there's no evidence that he is. It must be a Jackson addition. Bofur and Bombur are brothers, Bifur is their cousin.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

After Balin and Dwalin, there's only one left:

Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I wonder if they'll have Balin mention his dream of restoring Moria in the movie. That might be a cruel little bit of continuity.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Yeah, dwarf twins is so rare as to be a part of prophecy in lore occasionally. They're just brothers or cousins.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ah I must have got Kili and Fili mixed up with the others then and thought they Where ALL Twins or triplets.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bright wrote:I wonder if they'll have Balin mention his dream of restoring Moria in the movie. That might be a cruel little bit of continuity.
And it would also help tie the trilogy closer to the duology.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Here's Thorin:

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Huh, is that Orcrist? I can definitely see a design resemblance to Sting. Interesting that they went with a single-edged design as opposed to Glamdring's double-edged blade... not too bad looking, I imagined him being older and a little more bearded but it works. Better than Kili and Fili, anyway!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Thorin looks really intense, and a little angry. But quite bad ass. Agreed that I would have expected someone older, though.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I seem to remember Thorin not being the oldest because he was actually the dwarf equivalent of a 'Young Turk' who was ambitious and out-of-the-mainstream enough to think that he COULD retake Erebor. An older dwarf would've considered it lost, but Thorin is young enough to have hope. Remember, he's the GRANDSON of the last Mountain King.
ImageImage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

If that is the case, then I guess this Thorin is fine. I also like that the dwarves as a whole have a variety of weapons, rather than going with the "all dwarves use axes" cliche.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If that is the case, then I guess this Thorin is fine. I also like that the dwarves as a whole have a variety of weapons, rather than going with the "all dwarves use axes" cliche.
Indeed. The only one with an Axe is Gloin and he's Gimli's father. Looks like Gimli's 'walking axe' from the trilogy as well.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

If it is, then it's a nice continuity nod.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Theonering.net has closeups. Curiously, Bifur appears to have an axe head embedded in his skull.

On the topic of Thorin's age, in his early fifties he fought at the Battle of Azanulbizar about 140 years before The Hobbit. He's seven years older than Balin, the next oldest. He appears to have aged very well.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2011-07-29 03:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Raxmei wrote:[urlhttp://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07/17/461 ... more-46145]Theonering.net has closeups.[/url] Curiously, Bifur appears to have an axe head embedded in his skull.

On the topic of Thorin's age, in his early fifties he fought at the Battle of Azanulbizar about 140 years before The Hobbit. He's seven years older than Balin, the next oldest. He appears to have aged very well.
Balin was the only one described as looking old in the book, and it was probably just due to his going entirely white-haired. He wasn't much older than his brother Dwalin.

All the dwarves in the party except Fili and Kili were around dwarf middle age, IIRC... rather like Bilbo himself, who was fifty!

I like the dwarves' looks, though Thorin in particular gives off a Klingonish vibe.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

It looks like Thorin has a 'Gowron' look to him!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Thorin looks appropriatly badass for a man who's pulled this group together through sheer force of character, to march most of the way across the known world throguh unknown dangers and confront a mighty dragon at the end without planning how to do that in advance.

Plus, he's the only one besides Bilbo and Gandalf to ever get anything done.

I also love the design for Orcist, it really screams 'Elven' at me for some reason.

My only real problem is I can't see him as the same Thorin who was very much in love with the sound of his own voice, and could spend hours going on about the particulars of their contract with Bilbo, or the exposition on their quest, in a very grandoise and self-important manner.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If that is the case, then I guess this Thorin is fine. I also like that the dwarves as a whole have a variety of weapons, rather than going with the "all dwarves use axes" cliche.
Been a while since I reread the book, but I'm pretty sure they all used swords originally; the dwaves = axes and/or hammers cliche evolved much later.
Ahriman238 wrote:My only real problem is I can't see him as the same Thorin who was very much in love with the sound of his own voice, and could spend hours going on about the particulars of their contract with Bilbo, or the exposition on their quest, in a very grandoise and self-important manner.
That would probably have to be downplayed a bit on film anyway, especially for a character we're supposed to like.

And has anyone managed to figure out which dwarf is James Nesbitt under all that makeup and hair?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Zaune wrote: And has anyone managed to figure out which dwarf is James Nesbitt under all that makeup and hair?
Bofur, the dwarf in the middle:
Elfdart wrote: And here are three more: Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/ho ... ves-guide/
A guide to each of the dwarfs and their actors, it does have some minor spoilers for The Hobbit, but I'm guessing that on this forum it's not much of a problem.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

They definitely did a good job of making Gloin LOOK like Gimli (or at least JRD's Gimli). I wonder if he tried to sound like him at all.
ImageImage