New Pic From The Hobbit

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Pic From The Hobbit

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Zaune wrote: Been a while since I reread the book, but I'm pretty sure they all used swords originally; the dwaves = axes and/or hammers cliche evolved much later.
Actually, if I recall the book correctly, the dwarfs weren't generally very heavily armed. Except for Thorin, Gandalf, and Bilbo, who picked up swords in the troll den, they didn't use anything but knives and bows for most of the trip.
That would probably have to be downplayed a bit on film anyway, especially for a character we're supposed to like.
Thorin was a bit pompous, but he was still supposed to be a good guy in the book as well. Keeping the arrogant side would arguably make him a more interesting character anyway (certainly a more complex one).
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:They definitely did a good job of making Gloin LOOK like Gimli (or at least JRD's Gimli). I wonder if he tried to sound like him at all.
He's also got the same axe that Gimli carried around before he picked up the double edged one from Moria.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The dwarves weren't well armed in The Hobbit, except at the end, but Tolkien has Aragorn running around armed only with a broken sword until they get to Rivendale. Even as a kid I thought they should pack more sharp-pokey things, considering how dangerous the territory was.

As for dwarves and axes, the army Dane brings from the Iron Hills used axes as their main weapon.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.