Pottermore (Harry Potter)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Aniron
Padawan Learner

Pottermore (Harry Potter)

Post by Aniron »

J.K. Rowling has created an online experience called "Pottermore." It allows fans to attend their own Hogwarts, performing the same tasks as Harry and company do in the novels. Examples include getting sorted, getting a wand, making potions, using spells, collecting items, etc. It opens to all in October. Here is the video that was released months ago:

I am currently in the beta testing phase, which I gained by signing up for early entry. While unique, it's not exactly what you call "fun". It's difficult to navigate through, it's cumbersome, there is no sound, brewing potions takes a while to get used to, and casting spells using a keyboard is quite lame. The best thing about the "experience", however, is the new information about the series, which includes background information on characters (McGonagall has quite an extensive one; information detailing the interaction between the Durselys and James potter), the Hogwarts Express, wands, locations, measurements, clothing, etc. While the information is great, it's not in print, which means that many will not consider it canon, even though Rowling's signature appears after some new tidbits. I have currently compiled 25 pages of new information in MS Word from the first 10 chapters of Stone alone. I cannot replicate any of the information here verbatim, however, due to copyright.

An encyclopedia would be better than this.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Re: Pottermore (Harry Potter)

Post by Eframepilot »

I was shocked when I was Sorted into Gryffindor. Stupid goody-two-shoes protagonist house. Well, better than Hufflepuff, I guess. They must balance the four houses with randomization based on the non-personal preference choices or something.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I want to be Sorted into Ravenclaw when Pottermore opens up to the general public in October. They have the best common room.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Aniron
Padawan Learner

Post by Aniron »

I was put into Slytherin, and the welcome letter is excellent as it trashes the other houses.

"For instance, we Slytherins look after our own – which is more than you can say for Ravenclaw. Apart from being the biggest bunch of swots you ever met,"
Spoiler
McGonagall's story is excellent: we find out that she has a Muggle father; received top marks; worked for the ministry but hated it; went to Hogwarts; fell in love with a Muggle and while accepting marriage, eventually called it off because of how her home life was when her father learned about her mother's secret; and she eventually married but it didn't last long due to her husband being killed by a tantacula bite.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Aniron wrote:I was put into Slytherin, and the welcome letter is excellent as it trashes the other houses.

"For instance, we Slytherins look after our own – which is more than you can say for Ravenclaw. Apart from being the biggest bunch of swots you ever met,"
Aw man, all the other houses got much longer and more interesting letters than Gryffindor. We just got a few lines from Percy Weasley bragging about it being Dumbledore's house. Lame.
Hamstray
Padawan Learner

Post by Hamstray »

J.K. Rowling has created an online experience called "Pottermore." It allows fans to attend their own Hogwarts, performing the same tasks as Harry and company do in the novels. Examples include getting sorted, getting a wand, making potions, using spells, collecting items, etc. It opens to all in October.
Sounds like a grind fest waiting to happen, if not already.
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

How long before she starts charging for "extra content"?

Or before hackers start making a mess of the place, in the name of Fred & George of course. (Hackers all but ruined GoldenEye Wii's online features)