True Blood Season 4 (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Faqa
Jedi Master

Re: True Blood Season 4 (spoilers)

Post by Faqa »

Me, last year wrote: "Having just been exposed to a vampire half my age cleaning my clock with technological superiority, I will challenge a vampire twice my age to a duel with.... no advantage whatsoever". I mean, does he want to be around to protect Sookie or not? Especially now that he has Eric to deal with again? Idiot.
It would appear I owe Mr. Compton an apology - he has something resembling a brain. :P

Beyond that, we need British Punk Bill in every episode. Immediately, please. Stephen Moyer seems to enjoy making caricatures of his white-knight, wet-blanket character. Not to mention his background makes at least a modicum of sense - more than most backstories written after the fact do.

Are they going to continue to waste Nelson Ellis on such a terrible plotline? From the simplistic shit magic system (hint - "Black magic", "Evil witches"? Old, chewed over and simplistic back in the 90's, let alone today) to the uncompelling circle scene to neutering Eric.... well, Fairy Sookie should keep her eye on her "Shittiest Plot" title. On that note, I think Lafayette and Tara have more convincing chemistry (of camaraderie, not romance) with each other than any of the couples on the show, including the real-world one of Bill and Sookie, and DEFINITELY including Lafayette and Jesus, who I really had better hopes for.

Jessica and Hoyt are sweet, as always. She seems to be feeling the pain of being tied down - she's a fresh vampire, she's young, she has the world at her feet.... and she's tied to a provincial young man who only recently graduated from boyhood and seems to want that entire world to just go away and for them to be a normal human couple. A meal on the table, toughing out injuries.... but she wants Fangtasia and instant cures.

There is good shit here if the writers aren't too busy making Jesus and Sookie mouth awful cliches.

The amnesia plotline has one redeeming factor - Aleksander Skaarsgrad is a ridiculously good actor, and he's been spending too much time as a deadly, aloof snarker. If anyone can make something of that crap, it's him.
Where did Eric's friends in high places come from, he didn't seem to call on them when he had a powerful king wanting him dead.
I thought that was obvious - Eric can bring down Bill whenever he wants to. He knows Bill knew about Sookie's blood, and I'd guess he knows how well Nan Flanigan reacts to being lied to. I'm guessing it would be unpleasant for him as well - but if Bill pushes him too hard, he will talk.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Amnesiac Eric means more shirtless Eric, apparently. Tommy be back to his usual ways, and I believe this was the most disturbing Jason sex scene yet. Anyone else catch that Sookie was reading a Charlaine Harris novel?

"God grant me the serenity - Fuck it!"
"You just killed my fairy godmother!" "...Sorry."
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Is it just me, or did Eric manage to look ADORABLE when he was appologizing for eating Sookie's faerie godmother?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The ending made the episode. Classic scene.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Ah, that was a hilarious way to end the episode. The bloody, sheepish grin after he said, "...Sorry" was perfect. Amnesia Eric is all sorts of awesome.

Though Pam had the best line of them all: "If you don't bring me the witch in 24 hours, I will eat, fuck, and kill all three of you."
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Any guesses as to who the spirit in the mirror was hat the head witch was appealing to? Someone from Eric's past?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Oh also, what the fuck is up with the evil doll in Hoyt and Jessica's house? It was there when they moved in.
ImageImage
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Oh also, what the fuck is up with the evil doll in Hoyt and Jessica's house? It was there when they moved in.
Not sure if his mom or his proposed girlfriend liked dolls, this season the mom is buying dolls up but not sure why they are evil.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Damn it, we were so close to a nude Eric/Alcide mud-wrestling match. So close.

Nice to see Jason go survival-mode though, and that all shifters are absolutely horribly dysfunctional.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I really, really hate the witches, just because they seem to have vampire cheat codes and that old lady needs to get hit.

Also, the baby is REALLY starting to freak me out, which is sad cuz I wish the PTSD guy was my dad. And we had the creepy old doll make a cameo again.
ImageImage
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Yeah, Terry is the nicest guy on the show. How could he not be when he has an armadillo named Felix?
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Also wondering why Sookie hasn't tried her hand beam of doom, or at least try to learn more about her powers. Even her fairy godmother tries it way too late just seems like they are de-powering fairies and letting the witches take over. Draining a fairy seemed to give Eric daytime protection for a day and a half maybe, seemed not as impressive as last year. Also not liking how Pam is afraid of a single human with a gun, seems they de-powered her conveniently or certain vamps in general, might not be able to dodge a bullet but she can pro-actively disarm and kill the humans, or hell super speed away then come back from behind, just not liking the plot dictating the power of the characters. Last thing I question is Lafayette and Jesus powers, I thought it was them or Lafayette that turned the coven into a real power but Marnie seems to be fine on her own now.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I just saw Terry in a Rite-Aid commercial where he was being normal. It was weird.
ImageImage
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

"Smells kind of like pot." "Not really." So now we know how Terry can be so nice and sweet all the time in the middle of all this craziness, eh?

Also, pure gold:

"Hoyt's my best friend!... Oh, hold on. Is this a dream?" "Yes." "Oh, okay!"
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

that episode was the best in this season and the last, I thought it was brilliant.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I really enjoyed this episode, too. Rotting Pam is as good as Amnesia Eric, and almost all of the characters were well-utilized. I like that we now know what exactly happened in the past that has the vampires all freaked out about the witches. I'd certainly be shitting bricks.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

I will note approvingly that Sookie actually has a brain. And is using it, if only to help her pwecious Eric. Instances of this are sufficiently rare that they deserve commendation.

On the flip side, pwecious Eric. Ick.

We also learn that Bill Compton SUCKS at kinging, what with all the rushing off in the middle of meetings to go settle personal scores.

Also pleased to see that they managed to pull off the "Tommy kills a member of his family" bit without a long, boring, predictable storyline involving Sam. There might be something new here.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I didn't see it as Bill rushing off to settle a personal score. He's genuinely CONCERNED about Eric, at least thats the sense I got. Eric is one of (if not the most) powerful vampires in Louisiana and seemed like he had actually had experience dealing with witches. He needs Eric to deal with the threat.

Also thought it was cool to see the other sherrifs. BTW, Tommy is probably going to freak out the first time he accidentally turns into his own mother.
ImageImage
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Well, Jessica is right about one thing.

Jason's specialll.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I thought women had an almost-supernatural attraction to Jason because of his faerie blood.
ImageImage
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I hate Amnesia Eric. Can't wait till this bullshit spell goes away. Same with rotting Pam.

One minor thing that annoyed me - isn't it convenient that Sookie elected not to read TommySam's mind when he was cursing her out and clearly not acting normal? :banghead:

I enjoyed this episode, but seriously - fuck Tara. She's such a nothing character, I don't care about anything to do with her, she's just a big annoying sucking hole of waaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

I think Amnesia Eric is an interesting glimpse. It shows that by nature, Eric isn't blood thirsty and heartless. Rather it seems the murder of his family, and a thousand years of experience with humanity drove him to it.

Sam's been known to get in "moods" through out the series, so his behavior wasn't all that unusual. Quite honestly, she never even knew Sam was a shifter until he revealed it himself so its not like its impossible to keep a secret from her.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Not to mention, I think I would fire her too. Aside from being gone for over a YEAR, the first three seasons have her taking off of work whenever she wants because she wants to go play detective, and only gets away with it because Sam wanted to fuck her. It was about time that she got shown that in the real world, you have to do things in order to get money.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

FaxModem1 wrote:Not to mention, I think I would fire her too. Aside from being gone for over a YEAR, the first three seasons have her taking off of work whenever she wants because she wants to go play detective, and only gets away with it because Sam wanted to fuck her. It was about time that she got shown that in the real world, you have to do things in order to get money.
LOL I remember thinking "Well its about time" when SamTom said she was fired.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Hah! Paquin boob-shot!

NOW this show is back. It really isn't True Blood without that particular supporting-yet-unsupported character.

Well, at least Bill has a new excuse to mope and be all broody. It's what he does best anyway.

Jason drama-queening over his werepanther thing was hilarious. Please tell me this means we're done with the Hotshot plot. The whole thing with him and Jessica - which, remember, is not entirely natural on his part and if he shares any of Sookie's blood, not her's either - could be interesting if it was allowed time. If Jessica learns through this that the world is too large to make it small enough to tie to a single man, if it helps her come into her "own" as a vamp... well, that could be interesting. Both for her and Hoyt.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE STUPID LAFAYETTE WITCH PLOT. Nobody cared in the 3rd season, nobody cares now, really, really, NOBODY CARES. Scrubs' Dr. Cox will be glad to furnish a list of the things he and everyone in the universe care about more than this plot.

Aaaaaaaaand we viewers get two little continuity presents - first of all, Tommy-as-Sam FINALLY saying to Sookie what the viewership must surely have been thinking. Secondly, we got to see Felix, Terry's armadillo! The evil doll plot line is worth it for that alone. Three, actually, if we count Holly offering to buy Andy a cheeseburger - Sookie yelled at him back in the first season that that's all he ever orders at Merlotte's.

Also, the Petunia-Dursley-is-a-witch storyline got a boost in the last few minutes - as usual, from acting rather than writing. This actress can play CREEPY astoundingly well. Her staring down the video camera was as close as this show gets to scary.

And finally, Tara's plot is.... doing something unexpected. I thought we'd seen the last of her GF. Although if she gets killed to give Tara ANOTHER thing to angst over.... ugh.

Good actors continue to make the best of trashy writing. That is really the bottom line.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry: