DC Hits the Reset Button -- Again...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: DC Hits the Reset Button -- Again...

Post by Batman »

I agree. That's why I said I hope you're kidding me. If you're referring to the Forbidden, that was referring to the link you posted.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Batman wrote:I agree. That's why I said I hope you're kidding me. If you're referring to the Forbidden, that was referring to the link you posted.
Oh, then here the link to the page. The whole Super family gets ugly costumes.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/09/ ... -superboy/
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think I'm staying in the drawer for another decade or so.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Yeah, looks like BOOM! and the other smaller companies will be getting my money for a while. I really don't like the direction this seems go be going.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm not happy about Barbara becoming Batgirl again. And the Superman costumes -- Connor's especially -- look like shit.
tortieconspiracy
Youngling

Post by tortieconspiracy »

The only plus I can see to those outfits is that Supergirl no longer looks like she has anorexia nervosa. Much as I despise the so skinny she'll break look, that is not a good costume. And Superboy's is hideous.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

tortieconspiracy wrote:The only plus I can see to those outfits is that Supergirl no longer looks like she has anorexia nervosa. Much as I despise the so skinny she'll break look, that is not a good costume. And Superboy's is hideous.
Yeah; I never thought we'd see a Superboy costume worst than his original variant, but wow.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Batman wrote:Forbidden.
Copy and paste the URL. It looks like the server is set up to not allow linking.

Personally I kinda like the new costume, provided she's wearing white tights instead of being pants-less (hard to tell in that picture.)
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Aaaaand Harley now dresses like a slut. Weird, since people were saying there was an editorial mandate saying Super-Heroines should wear more pratical clothing.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Oy...I would love to see the reactions of Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Arleen Sorkin.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Does anyone remember when comics were targetted at kids and teens? Harley's (awful) costume is continuing a trend where I think comics are pandering to the 20 and 30 something comic nerds and forgetting their original core audience. When I grew up reading comics I remember thinking Emma Frosts' Hellfire club costume was the height of risque now look at this. I don't want to sound like a grumpy old man but there is one of my first impressions from looking at that mess.

Also these new costumes all look like someone in marketing said "make it edgier" Why? How about just make it look cool? There is nothing really cool about Superboy's costume or Harley's for that matter. Nothing beats tried and true traditional costumes, whenever a new writer or artist tries to change them they always go back to the original it will be the same for most of these too. The more they try to change the more they stay the same.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

What the hell is up with that version of Harley? Don't they have enough other characters that are more natural to sleaze up? For some reason it makes me wonder what nightmare version of Baby Doll they could come up with if this is the motif they are going for. You know who she's sort of dressed like? She somewhat resembles Deedee from the Joker gang in the JLU where GL and Batman went to the Batman Beyond future. Weren't some girls who dressed like Deedee supposed to be Harlequin's grand daughters in The Joker Returns Batman Beyond movie? Still, I don't see the need to change Harley's look. It does kind of make me wonder what the Joker is going to look like.

I don't mind the costumes for Superman and Supergirl. I too hope that Supergirl has tights on and is not showing that much leg with a goofy cut out in the top of her boots. Other than that the two costumes remind me a bit of Ultimate Cap's costume and some of the artwork I've seen of people doing "Ultimate" versions of DC characters.

I will say, that I am glad that they are getting rid of the "red underpants" look of Superman. I realize that's the classic look but if this is supposed to be modern day reboot then that needed to go. Some of the other tweaks are unnecessary though. Knee pads????

I'm not sure what to say about Superboy's costume. Going by that picture I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

**Incidentally, that site has some links to stories about The Uncanny X-Men coming to and end because of what sounds like a completely asinine story line, but then IMO that's been par for the course for X-books for a very long time. ** So it's not just DC who is screwing up there stuff.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Tsyroc wrote:**Incidentally, that site has some links to stories about The Uncanny X-Men coming to and end because of what sounds like a completely asinine story line, but then IMO that's been par for the course for X-books for a very long time. ** So it's not just DC who is screwing up there stuff.
There's a reason I've been more interested in Vertigo lately. Thankfully, it's being spared from this insanity.

And Stravo, you're not a grumpy old man. You're right that DC's pandering to a smaller base rather than a larger well of fans.

And when you tape Jim 'I drew the '90's X-Men Lee (and Cully Hammer) to provide a unified, redesigned look for your stable of characters...well, look at the results.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm aware we're not exactly a sufficiently large sample base, but from the reactions on SDN (or LA) I think the 20-30 nerd fanbase DC is allegedly catering to isn't all that happy with the new designs either.

And I'm not certain the problem is they aren't targeting teens any more. They aimed for a more mature audience ever since the Modern Age came around, and it worked, at least for me. I got a lot more grimdark, Clark actually had to kill people (and had to see a shrink about it
), heroes died for keeps, and not all the innocent were saved. I think that was a good age.

Do we have any sales figures for DC since the Silver Age Insanity Revival (also known as Infinite Crisis)? Note that this is just idle speculation, but if there has been a notable drop in sales since the Silver Age Revival they might be overcompensating the other way in trying to get things going again.

Also, Stravo is right about the costumes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's a reason they always eventually go back the traditional (in my or Diana's case, one of a very limited set of traditional ones) costumes.

And something I either didn't notice or subconsciously filtered out before-is it me, or is Conner suddenly a cyborg?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Also, Stravo is right about the costumes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's a reason they always eventually go back the traditional (in my or Diana's case, one of a very limited set of traditional ones) costumes.
Am I nut if I actually like Clark's new threads? It just seems at once more practical and more alien.
And something I either didn't notice or subconsciously filtered out before-is it me, or is Conner suddenly a cyborg?
Neither. If I'm making it out correctly he's an android. All mechanical in a human sheath.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:Do we have any sales figures for DC since the Silver Age Insanity Revival (also known as Infinite Crisis)? Note that this is just idle speculation, but if there has been a notable drop in sales since the Silver Age Revival they might be overcompensating the other way in trying to get things going again.
You also need to take into account that the Recession has altered a lot of people's buying habits.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Am I nuts if I actually like Clark's new threads?
I don't think I'm qualified to comment on whether you are, but I very much think so.
It just seems at once more practical and more alien.
He doesn't want to look alien. And until you discover fabric that give Star Trek shields (low end) the finger, for Clark, clothes are entirely a fashion choice.
Neither. If I'm making it out correctly he's an android. All mechanical in a human sheath.
Somehow, that doesn't seem like an improvement.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

JME2 wrote:
Batman wrote:Do we have any sales figures for DC since the Silver Age Insanity Revival (also known as Infinite Crisis)? Note that this is just idle speculation, but if there has been a notable drop in sales since the Silver Age Revival they might be overcompensating the other way in trying to get things going again.
You also need to take into account that the Recession has altered a lot of people's buying habits.
As I said, I'm just speculating. But from what I could tell, the Modern Age slightly more realistic angle seemed to work just fine (and produced some damned interesting storylines, and not just in the Bat books), then comes the Silver Age revival madness, and lo and behold, now they're trying something completely different because apparently the Silver Age Revival didn't pay.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Spekio wrote: Aaaaand Harley now dresses like a slut. Weird, since people were saying there was an editorial mandate saying Super-Heroines should wear more pratical clothing.
I hear Harley Quinn isn't exactly the type of person you would expect "practical" from, nor is she a super heroine. She's a nutcase with the hots for the most insane psychopath there is.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

So mind if I ask how they think a reboot that those outside of the comic community really won't know or hear much about will actually gain them new fans? I would be one thing if these companies went out of the way to start a new line of comic based on successful movies and advertised them in the trailers as part of the overall media blitz. This might get people wanting to find out more about the characters they just saw on screen and give them an easy way to get hooked. On the other hand a reboot doesn't get rid of all the back story that might keep people away from comics and really won't reach the ears and pocket books of the customers they're hoping to find.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Tribun wrote:
Batman wrote:I agree. That's why I said I hope you're kidding me. If you're referring to the Forbidden, that was referring to the link you posted.
Oh, then here the link to the page. The whole Super family gets ugly costumes.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/09/ ... -superboy/
Oh god, he looks like Superboy Prime.
At least Supergirl and Superboy don't look awful.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Molyneux wrote:Oh god, he looks like Superboy Prime.
He'll kill us to death!
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Norade wrote:
Molyneux wrote:Oh god, he looks like Superboy Prime.
He'll kill us to death!
That never gets old; I wonder if Prime will be popping up here.

Now that all 52 titles are confirmed, I have had a mixed reactions over one renewal and one cancellation.

On one hand, Blue Beetle is back and I can't wait to see new adventures of Jaime Reyes.

On the other hand, Gail Simone's wickedly funny Secret Six is not being rebooted and will end in August. :evil: :cry:
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

JME2 wrote:Now that all 52 titles are confirmed, I have had a mixed reactions over one renewal and one cancellation.
Do you have a link to the full list?, I've had a quick flip through the DC site but I cant find anything difinitive.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bedlam wrote:
JME2 wrote:Now that all 52 titles are confirmed, I have had a mixed reactions over one renewal and one cancellation.
Do you have a link to the full list?, I've had a quick flip through the DC site but I cant find anything difinitive.
The list is at the bottom of the page.