Superboy-Prime. What. The. Fuck?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

Superboy-Prime. What. The. Fuck?

Post by Havok »

So some one said something about SBP being in our universe in another thread.

I did some quick reading and...

What the flying fuck were the DC writers thinking? Our universe is "real" in the DCU 52. Black Lanterns have been there. The writers there are like the cartoon drawers from old Buggs Bunny cartoons? :lol:

Not to mention Legion of Superheroes, Sinestro Corps, Red Lanterns, Lovey Lanterns, Anti-Monitor, Monarch... fucking christ. Do writers really have a hard on for this guy or what?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: Superboy-Prime. What. The. Fuck?

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:So some one said something about SBP being in our universe in another thread.

What the flying fuck were the DC writers thinking? Our universe is "real" in the DCU 52. Black Lanterns have been there. The writers there are like the cartoon drawers from old Buggs Bunny cartoons? :lol:

Not to mention Legion of Superheroes, Sinestro Corps, Red Lanterns, Lovey Lanterns, Anti-Monitor, Monarch... fucking christ. Do writers really have a hard on for this guy or what?
Prime's like gangrene; he just won't go away. And I wish Legion of 3 Worlds had been the end; at least Johns has said he's done with Prime for now.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

He's the writers' "take that!" at the "they changed it, now it sucks" type of fan. They're not going to give him up. I feel slightly bad for the kid, though, despite the whole murderer of Earths thing.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:He's the writers' "take that!" at the "they changed it, now it sucks" type of fan. They're not going to give him up. I feel slightly bad for the kid, though, despite the whole murderer of Earths thing.
You know in a fun way, the Reverse-Flash has become Prime's spiritual counterpart.

Prime is a mouthpiece for the petulant, unpleasant fanbase while Professor Zoom is a mouthpiece for wide-scale retcons with no concerns for consequences.

Anyway, if I want meta commentary in comics, I'll read Morrison.

The thing that still bugs me about LO3W was that Supes made a big deal about trying to redeem Prime -- then it didn't go anywhere.

At least the Blackest Night tie-ins showed he did regret what he had become.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Havok wrote:So some one said something about SBP being in our universe in another thread.

For what I've read, Earth Prime is not our Earth. It is also a fictional Earth created during Silver Age to justify some Superboy and Flash stories where they get to meet DC Comics writers. When the fan boys asked "how can Superboy get to meet these writers?" they said "it is an alternate earth where all of the DC comics are fictional, yet they have their own version of Superboy". Silly, I know... but remember this was the Silver Age.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, it was amusing to see Prime threaten the DC editorial offices during Blackest Night. 8)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

ANGELUS wrote:For what I've read, Earth Prime is not our Earth. It is also a fictional Earth created during Silver Age to justify some Superboy and Flash stories where they get to meet DC Comics writers. When the fan boys asked "how can Superboy get to meet these writers?" they said "it is an alternate earth where all of the DC comics are fictional, yet they have their own version of Superboy". Silly, I know... but remember this was the Silver Age.
Yeah calling it 'our Earth' was a gross oversimplification on my part (as LotW showed). It's very very similar to our Earth in that there are no superpowered beings on Earth (other than Prime).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Why does everything have to fit into one continuity ? Why can't Superboy Prime be in a seperate series that does parody/commentary on mainstream DC Comics ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

To make a much longer story just long: a long time ago they created the 'multiple earths' shtick, so they could do crossovers with present and Golden Age characters, starting with "Flash of two worlds." this became a yearly event in the Justice League comics the "Crisis on Multiple Earths." which in addition to Earth 1 (main continuity) and Earth 2 (Golden Age) added Earth 3 (mirror universe) Earth C (cartoon animals universe) Earth X (nazi's won universe) and many more, including Earths featuring tie-ins with earlier Western and WWII titles.

Earth Prime, the real world where superheroes exist only in the comic books was created so the writers of the time could create a bad self-insertion fanfic. Seriously, read it sometime, it's so horrible it's hilarious. But eventually, it was revealed that Earth Prime is just behind the curve, they got themselves a Superboy.

Anyway, when they ran out of stories for "Crisis on Multiple Earths" (two issues every summer) they decided to do a mega-mega story featuring all their comics and continuity: "Crisis on Infinite Earths" which ended with the Anti-Monitor eating all the multiverse but five earths, the Flash dying to buy buy his friends some time, and everyone time-traveling to the beginning of the multiple realities to stop him there. This somehow resulted in the fusion of the remaining realities into a single continuity, allowing a blanket ret-con of everything unpopular and leaving everyone living in the same world where the Silver Age heroes were heirs to the traditions of the Golden Age.

Four outcasts, Superman-2, Lois Lane-2. Superboy-Prime and Earth 3 Luthor's son Alex willing exiled themselves outside the new universe to watch and see how it all turned out. This lasted about, what, twenty years until Crisis?

Then comes Crisis, the exiles return wanting to destroy the DC heroes Earth and create a perfect world. the multiverse returns and I honestly don't think the Writers quite knew what to do with Prime. Do keep in mind, I've never seen Lo3W. In Crisis he sort of just flips out and attacks Connor, then starts killing things.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Ahriman238 wrote:Then comes Crisis, the exiles return wanting to destroy the DC heroes Earth and create a perfect world. the multiverse returns and I honestly don't think the Writers quite knew what to do with Prime. Do keep in mind, I've never seen Lo3W. In Crisis he sort of just flips out and attacks Connor, then starts killing things.
The Multiverse was brought back with Infinite Crisis, while Legion of Three Worlds (LoTW or Lo3W) was a Final Crisis tie-in. Between the two he spends some time in the New Earth'verse (the primary DC Continuity).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Superboy
Padawan Learner

Post by Superboy »

He's actually a pretty disappointing character that they could have done a lot more with. He had good reason to be pissed off and a backstory that would make a hero becoming twisted and evil believable. The guy saw his entire universe destroyed, everyone he knew killed, he sacrificed himself and exiled himself for the betterment of the rest of the mulitverse. He's then forced to spend years trapped, watching the heroes he sacrificed everything for fail to live up to his standard of a hero. And since he kept his original silver age power levels, he's a huge threat that could have made some great stories.

Instead, they made him a whiny little brat with zero likability who it's impossible to feel sympathy for. If they just didn't play him like a petulant teenager having a non-stop temper tantrum, he could have been awesome.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Superboy wrote: Instead, they made him a whiny little brat with zero likability who it's impossible to feel sympathy for. If they just didn't play him like a petulant teenager having a non-stop temper tantrum, he could have been awesome.
And that is another thing that bothers me... why is he still a teenager in present day if he was a teenager in the middle eighties? I mean... Jason Todd got older, Wally West got older, The titans...
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

ANGELUS wrote:
Superboy wrote: Instead, they made him a whiny little brat with zero likability who it's impossible to feel sympathy for. If they just didn't play him like a petulant teenager having a non-stop temper tantrum, he could have been awesome.
And that is another thing that bothers me... why is he still a teenager in present day if he was a teenager in the middle eighties? I mean... Jason Todd got older, Wally West got older, The titans...
The Time Stream! No, I'm not joking.

Oh and of the four people in the bubble universe (Lois-2, Supes-2, Alex Luthor, and Prime), Lois was the only one who seemed to age in the bubble universe, so I'm guessing he didn't age between CoIE and IC.