Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shannon
Padawan Learner

Re: Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

Post by Shannon »

The after credits scene:

Spoiler
[Reveal] Spoiler:
It's Erik Selvig, the same guy who was with Jane Foster the whole movie. Earlier in the film, he mentioned working with a scientist involved in "gamma radiation" (I'm guess it's a Bruce Banner reference), and he seemed to be clued in to what SHIELD was. At the end of the movie, Nick Fury invites him into SHIELD to work on some artifact that could potentially release "unlimited power." Selvig accepts the offer, however he did it under Loki's possession which implies lots of bad things that will probably come up in the Avengers movie. I was confused about whether that artifact was the Frost Giants' casket. I've also heard that it's the Cosmic Cube, which will appear in Captain America.

This is the artifact you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Cube

See in particular the 'Films' references at the end of the article: Spoiler
Films
The Cosmic Cube appears in several films set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe:

A hypercube is seen in Howard Stark's notes (flipped through by Tony Stark) in Iron Man 2.
The Cosmic Cube is seen briefly in the film Thor in a post-credits scene. Nick Fury shows the box to Erik Selvig who, under the control of Loki, asks what it is, to which Fury replies "Power".
A Cosmic Cube—known in the film as the seemingly magical "Tesseract"—will be involved in Red Skull's plan for world domination in the upcoming film Captain America: The First Avenger.[26]
What the Frost Giants were after was The Casket of Ancient Winters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casket_of_ ... nters#CoAW

You might also be interested in Mjolnir, Thor's hammer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_(Marvel_Comics)

Also, the Destroyer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer_(Thor)
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Post subject: Re: Just saw Thor (Some Spoilers)

Mr Bean wrote:
So Spoil me, who's left for the Avengers Initiative since I never really followed comic book plots we've seen Hulk's movie, we've seen two Iron Man movies now Thor and soon we will be seeing Captain America's movie, who's left of the big Avengers (Since I know they have had like 1000 members during their run) if I'm guessing right it's Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor with possible add on Hawkeye?

Mr Bean wrote:
[Obscure] Spoiler:
And someone explain to me the after credits thing which aside from the fact that Loki was talking to the head of Shield by posing some human I totally did not get

Dr Selvig is the older male scientist, the one who went drinking with Thor. The thing Nick shows him is called the Cosmic Cube, and whoever holds it may as well be God. Anyone touching the Cube can reshape reality and alter time on a whim, without apparent effort, they wish for a thing, and it happens, even if they wish for dear 'ol Ma to come back from the grave or for gravity to switch off on Tuesday afternoons.

The only saving grace is that the sort of people who make or use the Cubes are generally idiots. Also, the Cubes always eventually devlop sentience and start becoming selective in what wishes they grant, many are quite considerate about fixing any damage done. Unfortunatly, their personality is heavily influenced by those who used them in their pre-sentience days.
I enjoyed it a lot and am really looking forward to the next lot.
My biggest question is from the beginning may have a bearing on the future. How the hell did Odin fit his army into that tiny dome?

This is Odin we're talking about. He could have expanded the dome for the beginning battle. Or he could have sent every able-bodied male Asgardian shooting down the rainbow bridge at hypersonic speeds.
I’ll admit that I had some trouble keeping up with the names of things in the movie. The Bifrost, whatever the hammer was called, and where it was that Frost Giants lived. At one point the Bifrost was mentioned and I thought to myself “so that’s where the Frost Giants live?”. I’ll be sure to keep a notepad handy next time I watch this movie. The reason I’m pointing this out as a flaw is because it made it hard for me to keep track of the villain’s intentions since he was the type to say one thing and do another.
Asgard- home of the Gods.
Valhalla- the afterlife of heroes.
Jotun-Frost Giant.
Jotunheim- realm of the Jotuns. Ask me what lives in Elfheim.
Bifrost- the rainbow bridge connecting midgard and asgard.
Midgard- earth.
Mjoliner- Thor's hammer.
Anything else?

I can really see this Thor and Iron Man working together, and I can see Tony going nuts trying to figure out Thor's "magic." I also think it's great that Loki escaped and is at large. The first Avenger's story was about Loki manipulating Thor into fighting the Hulk, the one mortal who might beat him up. Then Tony and the Pym's get involved, there's the usual "super-heroes fight over stupid misunderstanding" then everybody gangs up on Loki and they have so much fun they agree to start a club, then and there.

Obviously not quite where they're going with this. But I think it would be really cool to have Loki involved, and he's such a great villain I can really see him carrying the movie as the sole threat, not that that's likely either. Am I the only one who noticed that while the other Asgadians stick out like a sore thumb (Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood,) Loki is always wearing an expensive suit on earth even though he's invisible? NO fish-out-of-water there.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

AniThyng wrote:What I really want to know is thls:
Spoiler
Is there any particular reason the Asgardians themselves could not rebuild the bifrost?
Spoiler
Can't you see it's a Mass Relay? They don't know how to build them! :wink:
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bland acting, bland special effects, bland music, weak dialog. The most memorable bits were pretty much Loki, Thor's near death scene, and the after-credits scene.

It wasn't a bad movie, so much as average. I'd rate it as maybe on par with Iron Man II. The X-men films are still the best Marvel films I've seen.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Great movie.
Not quite as good as the first Iron Man, which set the bar fairly high, but far better than Iron Man 2, Punisher:War Zone and The Incredible Hulk.

Chris Hemsworth's portrayal of Thor, makes his casting a decision that rivals RDJ as Tony Stark. It is about perfect. He carries just the right amount of arrogance, compassion, 'for glory!', humor, knowledge and ignorance that my favorite renditions of Thor have had.

I liked Portman in this and whoever complained that her character was only smitten with Thor because he was 'hunky' hasn't met a whole lot of women. Or men for that matter. I also like the change of vocation, as it was a necessity to having her meet Thor if he was not going to assume the life of Donald Blake.

The Warriors Three were done magnificently, given the time they had on screen. All their character traits were succinctly shown and distributed to the audience without having to sidetrack the story. Whoever complained that they reminded them of generic mmorpg characters should take note that they and their character traits predate PENCIL AND PAPER rpgs by almost 10 years. Young fucking whippersnappers. Sif was badass, hot and an equal to Thor, as she should be.

Loki was another excellent cast, and hopefully, Tom Hiddleston will really get to chew some scenery as the main bad in The Avengers.

The Frost Giants were well done, if a little unfleshed out. They refer to Odin as the All Father but never explain exactly why they battle with Asgard or humanity.

Heimdall was another great cast and had some of the coolest scenes for a guy that spends the entire movie standing in one spot or frozen in ice in one spot. :lol:

The doctor that disappeared that Selvig is referring to isn't (or at least shouldn't be) Banner, as his accident happened far before SHIELD was an entity. He should be referring to Dr. Samuel "Mr. Blue" Sterns. Although, as an agency, SHIELD is even absent in that part of the movie as all the operations are shown to be carried out by Ross's Army only unit, and at his direction.

Hawkeye forgoing the M-16 for the bow, elicited quite the loud 'FUCK YEAH!" from myself to the surprise of a few movie goers. :lol: And was I the only one thinking Power Man/Luke Cage when that ginormus black guys forearm layed Thor out? Here's hoping. :D

Boy I sure do hope they work The Enchantress into The Avengers movie. They just need to get the most smoking hot Scandinavian blonde on the planet and get her to act slutty and that should do it. :lol: It would be great fun to see Thor deal with it and one of the few ways I can think of to get him out of some of the action in the movie so he can't just wreck shop on everyone, as they clearly have shown him capable of doing.

Cosmic cube was a nice touch and it opens up the actual Thor sequel to some cool areas to explore. Beta Ray Fucking Bill?!? Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

The few things I didn't like.
While I thought the design and execution of the Destroyer were well done, the actual handling was bad. It should have given Thor more of a run for his money. It has always been the be all end all of ultimate Asgardian weapons and I wish it would have stayed that way. It should have been a drag out brawl and could have gone on 3 or 4 minutes longer. Thor could have 'discovered' Mjolnir's teleportation properties on accident and defeated it by sending it away to somewhere to be a menace again, which a proper comic book would have done, :wink: AND they could have had him trying to figure out the trick again at the end, establishing that he will eventually be able to get back to Earth without the rainbow bridge.

The implication that Bifrost is too hard to, or can't be rebuilt. I'm fairly sick of the 'technology of our past that can no longer be duplicated' crap. Learn to write shit down.

A little more time on Earth would have been nice. I'm not on the bandwagon about Thor not having enough time to learn his lesson. He is a fucking immortal with hundreds, if not thousands of years of life under his belt, he should figure it out pretty quickly, I just would have liked to have seen a few more connection scenes like we had with Selvig in the bar or Foster on the roof. Maybe one with Darcy to round it out or possibly even some towns folk. Maybe showing a little more time passing as well, before his triumphant return.

As I said though, great film and I am now even more satisfied with the direction Marvel is going in (with the exception of the licensed X-Men and Spider Man which seem to be slipping hard) and am about sold on The Avengers and Captain America if they can maintain this quality.

On the flip side, this just makes DC look even worse. Here's hoping The Green Lantern can do something about it.

OK, so 3D.

This was my first 3D movie. I can say that I liked it and was pretty impressed considering the last 3D movie I saw was Jaws 3D. :D Unfortunately though, the preview for Immortals seemed to make better use of the technology than Thor did. Was this one of those movies that wasn't really done in 3D, but had some specific effects added?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Mr Bean wrote: So Spoil me, who's left for the Avengers Initiative since I never really followed comic book plots we've seen Hulk's movie, we've seen two Iron Man movies now Thor and soon we will be seeing Captain America's movie, who's left of the big Avengers (Since I know they have had like 1000 members during their run) if I'm guessing right it's Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor with possible add on Hawkeye?
From the announcements, it currently stands as thus in the opening:

Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and The Black Widow on the team proper. With Nick Fury and Maria Hill as a part of Shield.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

So...was I the only one who thought that using the Death Star set to 'flashlight' as a mode of interstellar transport was...dubious? I dunno, the whole Bifrost = Death Star thing felt forced to me. And for pity's sake, people, it's a spoiler thread, you don't need to run around spoiler-tagging everything.
How many weapons of mass destruction did they show in theis movie? Four, if we're counting things used, the Destroyer, the Cask of Ancient Winters, Mjoliner and Gungir. Probably twice as many just sitting in the Incredibly Insecure Hall of Doomsday Weapons.

The Asgardians really don't need another way of destroying worlds, they have that most thoroughly covered. The Bifrost isn't supposed to be a weapon, it's a way of getting around that can be very destructive if carelessly or maliciously operated. Kind of like a stove: not dangerous in normal operations, dangerous if you turn it on and walk away for a couple of hours, which doesn't stop us from using an arson machine set to broil to cook out food.

None of this would be an issue, since before the film (and Odin's enfeeblement) the only ones who could operate the thing were Odin and Heimdall, both of whom know better.
I didn't really see it like that. I mean, even though he was a pompous, combative jerk to begin with, I never didn't think he was a noble guy underneath it all. I'm sure he would have sacrificed himself for innocent people if the situation called for it even before he was humbled by not being able to pick up Mjolnir. Nothing in his experiences on Earth over those few days seemed to deal with learning to respect life.
Drinking some NM rotgut will surely give you a new perspective on life. :)

Seriously, I may be reading too much from the comics into this, but think about it for a moment. Compared to any Asgardian, humans are primitive, puny, frail (one good hug from Volstagg would end you!) and extremely short-lived. Many of the more arrogant of them view humans as slightly above insects. Whilst I can't see the begining-of-the-film Thor pulling our arms off or something, he didn't really strike me as the self-sacrificing type, least of all for some creatures that would all die in a few short decades anyway.

Surely, you can see his high regard for us in the way he's already familiar with our language and customs.

Then he starts to connect with Jane and Darcy and Selvig, seeing them as people rather than mortals, or abstractions. He willingly sacrifices himself, and yes, I'm sure he was always a noble person, but that act was completly counter to his earlier vainglory. He's not giving himself up for him, but for people who's existence and worth he would have brushed off at the start. True, it's a slight leap from 'human life has value' to 'maybe Frost Giant's lives have meaning too' but it's a small leap.

When Thor and Loki were children, they dreamed of one day hunting the Frost Giant's into extinction, finishing what their father had begun. When Thor was a man, he proposed marching an army into Jotunheim and slaughtering so many that they would never dare mess with Asgard again. Cut to the climax, and Loki is about to realize their childhood dream of genocide, but after a few days on earth, the thought of it sickens Thor. Clearly, something signifigant happned during his stay on earth.

Actually kind of suprising Odin didn't nip that thought in the bud when they first voiced it to him. "No greater father" my ass.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Havok wrote:Hawkeye forgoing the M-16 for the bow, elicited quite the loud 'FUCK YEAH!" from myself to the surprise of a few movie goers. :lol: And was I the only one thinking Power Man/Luke Cage when that ginormus black guys forearm layed Thor out? Here's hoping. :D
Oh, hell yes. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who felt that way.
Cage's backstory needs an update from the 70s anyway; why not make him a SHIELD agent from the get-go?
Cosmic cube was a nice touch and it opens up the actual Thor sequel to some cool areas to explore. Beta Ray Fucking Bill?!? Keeping my fingers crossed. :D
I doubt we'll ever get to see him, but I certainly hope so...especially with the Skrulls rumored to show up somewhere around Avengers 2.
The few things I didn't like.
While I thought the design and execution of the Destroyer were well done, the actual handling was bad. It should have given Thor more of a run for his money. It has always been the be all end all of ultimate Asgardian weapons and I wish it would have stayed that way. It should have been a drag out brawl and could have gone on 3 or 4 minutes longer. Thor could have 'discovered' Mjolnir's teleportation properties on accident and defeated it by sending it away to somewhere to be a menace again, which a proper comic book would have done, :wink: AND they could have had him trying to figure out the trick again at the end, establishing that he will eventually be able to get back to Earth without the rainbow bridge.
Agreed; it really never felt like we got to see Thor go all-out in this film. Compare that with the ending fight of Iron Man, where we see him digging deep into his bag of tricks as power runs out, and we really don't get the same sense of accomplishment when the fight's over.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Granted, he is the God of fucking Thunder, but exactly. :)
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

OK:

I agree with pretty much everything said here. Good movie, great characters, better than Iron Man 2 and Hulk, about on a par with Iron Man IMO. And who the hell thought the X-Men movies were better than this has to put down the crack pipe. X-Men 2, maybe, but not the others.

Havok, I gotta disagree though, I'm pretty positive the gamma-ray scientist guy is supposed to be Banner, given that in Incredible Hulk he ran into Samuel Stearns, who was a perfectly normal fellow with (IIRC) no relation to SHIELD at that point. It's obvious enough that they're changing up some things for the Marvel films; why not a bit of backstory in the process. Such as Mjolnir not having all the powers that it normally has in the comics...

Doubt we'll ever see Beta Ray Bill, he's just too different a character and everybody will be like "uh, this is Thor in a horse outfit".

Looking forward to X-Men First Class now, if it keeps up the standard... Captain America is looking freakin' awesome, too.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

You know, it occurs to me that if (when) Thor ever returns to earth, his human friends already went to all the trouble of making him a fake id and documented history as Dr. Donald Blake...

Bit weird to have his civilian identity named for Foster's ex-bf, but whatever works for her I guess.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Elheru Aran wrote:OK:

I agree with pretty much everything said here. Good movie, great characters, better than Iron Man 2 and Hulk, about on a par with Iron Man IMO. And who the hell thought the X-Men movies were better than this has to put down the crack pipe. X-Men 2, maybe, but not the others.

Havok, I gotta disagree though, I'm pretty positive the gamma-ray scientist guy is supposed to be Banner, given that in Incredible Hulk he ran into Samuel Stearns, who was a perfectly normal fellow with (IIRC) no relation to SHIELD at that point. It's obvious enough that they're changing up some things for the Marvel films; why not a bit of backstory in the process. Such as Mjolnir not having all the powers that it normally has in the comics...

Doubt we'll ever see Beta Ray Bill, he's just too different a character and everybody will be like "uh, this is Thor in a horse outfit".

Looking forward to X-Men First Class now, if it keeps up the standard... Captain America is looking freakin' awesome, too.
I quite liked X-Men 1. 2 was superior, though, especially the opening scene.
Also: wouldn't Beta Ray Bill be a horse in a Thor outfit, not the other way around? :lol:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Molyneux wrote:Also: wouldn't Beta Ray Bill be a horse in a Thor outfit, not the other way around? :lol:
The technical term is Thorse.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Why not go all the way and have Thorog from the animal avengers turn up as well.

Hell, I'd pay for an animal avengers movie :lol:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Just the trailer for First Class has already put ALL the other X-Men movies to shame.

Beta Ray Bill is gonna smite all you shit talkers.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

It's not the fact that he's an alien cyborg who looks either like a horse or a blank-faced orange man that bugs me. It's the fact that the hammer Odin made him looks like a giant toy hammer.

Ah, well. In spite of it all BRB is awesome.
Why not go all the way and have Thorog from the animal avengers turn up as well.

Hell, I'd pay for an animal avengers movie

No, no, no, no. Down that road lies Peter Porker: the Amazing Spider-Pig.

We are so not going there.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ahriman238 wrote:It's not the fact that he's an alien cyborg who looks either like a horse or a blank-faced orange man that bugs me. It's the fact that the hammer Odin made him looks like a giant toy hammer.
Just a heads up, in the actual Norse Mythology, Thors Hammer WAS made with a ridiculously short handle. The Dwarves made it as a Joke when they were asked to make a magic Hammer. Thor was simply so Bad Ass™ he could wield the Hammer with just one hand despite the short handle.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Finally got out to the theater to see this.

As usual, Marvel is playing fast and loose with the Norse myths, but I expected that. I was pleasently surpised at just how much character development there was with not only Thor but Loki. Loki didn't come across as some devil-figure, but rather as the brother who never quite felt like he fit in, and the Asgardians clearly regarded him as one of them regardless of biological origin.

Casting a black man as Heimdall was, needless to say, extremely untraditional. As previously noted, Elba nailed it. Good example of how the actor is still more important than cosmetics in creating a character, and bravo that his role actually had some importance.
Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye (he’ll be the one holding a cross bow)
That's a compound bow, not a crossbow. [/nitpick]
On another note, I didn’t bother seeing it in 3D so I can’t say if it worked well or not.
We just happened to show up for the 3D showing. Always probablematic with me, as I have very poor depth perception, at least of the stereoscopic kind. The Other Half was enthused, and it did work nicely for the panoramic scenes. I also found myself shifting my head around for more parallax (that's one of the way those of us with shitty stereoscopic vision compensate) but that doesn't work for movie 3D, so on one level I was getting fooled enough to treat it like a genuine 3D scene, but lack of that trick working did break the illusion somewhat. I think that's one of the things that bothers some people about movie 3D but they don't quite know what's off or have the specific vocabulary to express it precisely.
Unfortunately though, the preview for Immortals seemed to make better use of the technology than Thor did. Was this one of those movies that wasn't really done in 3D, but had some specific effects added?
Yes. The 3D in Thor was added post-production as a computer effect. For the true state-of-the-art 3D you want to see something like Avatar, where it was filmed in 3D. Presumably, Immortals is one such, which may be why it worked better there.
In this movie, Jane just seemed to be smitten with Thor because he was studly and hawt.
I don't usually go for men young enough to be my son, nor am I particuarly enthused about blonds.... but trust me, Hemsworth wasn't just “hawt” he was HAWT. That particular eye-candy was NOT for the hetereosexual men in the audience. Now you know how stupid it looks to us women when the male lead in a movie gets inexplicably nuts over some “hawt chick” female lead.

I totally agree there are some very funny bits in the move, starting with Thor getting tasered.

It's got epic scenery, funny lines, pretty actors, fight scenes... it's summer popcorn movie. Not the greatest movie ever made, but definitely an enjoyable ride. Marvel seems to be casting actors, people who can create the characters and carry the role rather than just the names and faces of who is popular these days in Hollywood. Yes, Anthony Hopkins is Big Name, but he can also pull off Odin in a manner fitting into the movie. Some of the other folks are less known, or completely unexpected in the role of what was orginally a Norse god (Elba/Heimdall again) but they make it work. Someone remembered movies are more than just CGI.
Crossroads Inc. wrote:Just a heads up, in the actual Norse Mythology, Thors Hammer WAS made with a ridiculously short handle. The Dwarves made it as a Joke when they were asked to make a magic Hammer. Thor was simply so Bad Ass™ he could wield the Hammer with just one hand despite the short handle.
Uh... no. The Dwarf making the hammer was distracted before he was finished by a shape-shifted Loki in the guise of an insect biting/stinging him in the eye, resulting in a shorter than intended handle for Mjolnir. So... the joke was Loki's (as usual) and not the Dwarf's.

But hey, there are already so many deviations from “actual Norse mythology” that it's pointless to get hung up on that one. Though if anyone is interested I could probably hit a few highlights.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ah thank you Broomstick, I remembered it being doing "on purpose" but forgot that it was Loki behind things.
Having not seen the film yet does anyone know if this is referenced in the movie? Would be awesome to have a moment like: "Why is the handle so small?" "Theres a long story behind that"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just a heads up, in the actual Norse Mythology, Thors Hammer WAS made with a ridiculously short handle. The Dwarves made it as a Joke when they were asked to make a magic Hammer. Thor was simply so Bad Ass™ he could wield the Hammer with just one hand despite the short handle.
I recall the story, but Crossroads, have you ever seen Beta Ray Bill and his hammer? I promise you, the handle is not the issue.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

The issue isn't the hammer. The movie doesn't have to create an exact clone of the hammer, it just has to look different from Mjolnir. It's a sufficiently epic storyline to make into a film, with sufficiently cosmic scope to keep the Thor movies well ahead of their Marvel peers, so IMHO it could work as a movie plot. It gives Thor an equal to go up against, which isn't so easy to find.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

A rival with a cripplingly bad name. I can hear the marketing department howl from across time and space even as I type this.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

White Haven wrote:A rival with a cripplingly bad name. I can hear the marketing department howl from across time and space even as I type this.
They can change it. It was an anglicism of his alien name in the comic, and I can't see why it couldn't be changed for a movie.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

They might be able to change it, but I honestly can't see why they would run with it. I think it stretches most people's SoD to accept movies that aren't based on Earth in some fashion to start with, and the Beta Ray Bill story is largely independent of anything that happens on Earth AFAIK (it's been a good while since I read the comics, mind you). Space horse guy runs into Thor (in space!), they fight, space horse guy becomes Thorse for a while, eventually Odin goes "here's a hammer for you, kiss and make up". Kind of... I don't know? Not the most applicable of stories to most people's interests.

This movie, and the rest of the Marvel movies at least, had the benefit of being based on Earth, and I don't really see them breaking that pattern for a while at least.

An Infinity Gauntlet miniseries on HBO, on the other hand, might be kick-ass... but you'd have to combine a good number of properties that are currently held by different companies to really pull it off, even if you cut down on the number of heroes you throw against Thanos-- Fox has Wolverine, Cyclops, the Hulk, Silver Surfer and Doctor Doom, Paramount has Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and I don't know who else-- probably a bunch of other characters I forgot to name. A big issue with the IG series though is that aside from the more notable figures (the ones I just named), everybody else is basically an unknown. Beside comic-book readers, who really cares about, for example, Nova? The Celestials? Eros and Drax the Destroyer? Heck, even Thanos himself?

Bit of a shame, honestly. It's one of my favorite stories all around.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Elheru Aran wrote:They might be able to change it, but I honestly can't see why they would run with it. I think it stretches most people's SoD to accept movies that aren't based on Earth in some fashion to start with, and the Beta Ray Bill story is largely independent of anything that happens on Earth AFAIK (it's been a good while since I read the comics, mind you). Space horse guy runs into Thor (in space!), they fight, space horse guy becomes Thorse for a while, eventually Odin goes "here's a hammer for you, kiss and make up". Kind of... I don't know? Not the most applicable of stories to most people's interests.
We see these things differently. Hulk, X-Men, Captain America, Iron Man, these are characters which are almost exclusively bound to Earth. I recognize that there are numerous exceptions to this in the canon, but it's a fair general rule. Thor is not only not bound to Earth, but he is quite separate from it, and his adventures often take him far from it; unlike most of his peers in the Avengers, he is a true cosmic entity. The BRB storyline would be another way to deal Thor a little humility (since it's clear that he's not the only one worthy to lift Mjolnir) and let him grow as a character. Naturally, numerous concessions would have to be made to the story in order to make it work on the screen. This is nothing new for the comic book superhero film medium.

I could envision it happening something like this:

- prologue about BRB on his way to Earth, we don't yet know why
- Thor is on Earth by some means, possibly with the help of his new squeeze; they are happy, but the whole "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" issue begins to assert itself
- BRB lands on Earth, tussles with Thor, who loses his hammer (and his power) to the newcomer
- Thor has to do some soul-searching wrt living as a mortal on Earth, or in the heavens with the rest of the "gods", with all that that entails, eventually decides that he needs to be the god of Thunder for various reasons, whatever
- major dust-up between Thor and BRB to determine who gets to have Mjolnir (since BRB really needs it too -- cue the expository dialogue)
- Thor wins, and the two of them (each with their own magic hammer, so BRB can retain his new powers) go to BRB's planet and kick some serious ass
- Thor returns to Earth, yadda yadda yadda

In short: let those superheroes which are bound to spend their lives in Earth's gravity well do so. Their stories are interesting enough. Thor is not so bound, and neither should his stories be.