StarDestroyer.Net BBS

Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
Login  FAQ    Search

View unanswered posts | View active topics

It is currently 2014-04-16 09:00pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Fiction » Fantasy

Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)

'Arrow' Series Premiere.

Moderators: Mayabird, Steve

[ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic | Next topic 

FaxModem1
 Post subject: 'Arrow' Series Premiere.
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 08:36pm 

Sith Marauder

Watching now. Thoughts?
   Profile |  

FaxModem1
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 08:58pm 

Sith Marauder

Okay, so Oliver is pretty much a lethal version of Bruce Wayne. Black Canary is a lawyer, Merlyn is his drunk best pal. Speedy is Oliver's little sister, and there was a Deathstroke mask at the beginning of the episode.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, as I'm a huge Green Arrow fan, but I'm a bit hesitant to see where this is going.
   Profile |  

Havok
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 11:32pm 

Miscreant

Oh it is Green Arrow. I saw it on the little advertising thingy on Xbox Live, but I wasn't sure. Thought maybe they were just calling it just Arrow to avoid the infringement.

Is it taking the character they introduced in Smallville (didn't they do that?) or is it a completely knew take?
   Profile |  

Enigma
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 11:36pm 

is a laughing fool.

Completely new take I believe. They don't even use the same actor and the look is different.
   Profile |  

FaxModem1
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 11:41pm 

Sith Marauder

It's a completely new series, with it's own continuity.

Also, of note:

http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/Deathstroke-arrow-cw-1024x575.jpg

Definitely a comics reference there:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-L0zvn0vmelA/T9bwo_6jXEI/AAAAAAAAO6s/StnJWrIxND8/s1600/Green-Arrow-Deathstroke.jpg

So, they are definitely trying to follow the mythos a bit, while at the same time, modifying it however they like.
   Profile |  

Tsyroc
PostPosted: 2012-10-11 12:45am 

Emperor's Hand

I guess Green Arrow doesn't really have his own rogues gallery to pull characters from.

Kind of cool that they got Deathstroke's mask in there. I think DC has been trying to find ways to get that character into TV for awhile but they've always modified him in some way. They just used the name in Lois & Clark and changed his name in the Teen Titans cartoon. I'd even say that Sports Master in the Young Justice cartoon is really a stand-in for who they really wanted to use, Deathstroke.

So the lethal Bruce Wayne sounds promising, as does some of what they've done with the other characters. Is Dina actually Black Canary or is she just a lawyer in this? Otherwise, it concerns me that it's on the CW. The home for romantic teen angsty shows.
   Profile |  

Korgeta
PostPosted: 2012-11-02 03:46pm 

Padawan Learner

Havok wrote:
Oh it is Green Arrow. I saw it on the little advertising thingy on Xbox Live, but I wasn't sure. Thought maybe they were just calling it just Arrow to avoid the infringement.

Is it taking the character they introduced in Smallville (didn't they do that?) or is it a completely knew take?

I think they just took the green out because Arrow just sounds more dramatic and serious then having 'Green' stuck before it and make viewers think it's going to be a camp superhero story. Just as Nolan later names the Batman sequals as the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

It's ok so far, though its nothing different to what I haven't seen.
   Profile |  

Gaidin
PostPosted: 2012-11-04 12:21pm 

Jedi Master

It's nothing to shocking or unique. You're literally getting the feel of cheesy comic book on a tv screen, which I honestly have no problem with. All things being equal, I've wanted a show like this for a long time where they can literally do something like an issue a week instead of sit around waiting for a movie every other year if they're churning them out at their fastest. Only to have to sit there and wonder if they're going to green light another. It's basically a live action comic book melodrama with some action, complete with awkward dialogue and everything, and I think it knows it.

Was hoping it would take the cops longer though. Just sayin'.
   Profile |  

Lusankya
PostPosted: 2012-11-07 11:20am 

ChiCom

The best way to watch Arrow is to watch it and then read the io9 episode reviews, because they are hilarious.
   Profile |  

[ 9 posts ] 

It is currently 2014-04-16 09:00pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Board index » Fiction » Fantasy