My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

NEW EPISODE! NEW EPISODE! GLORY BE TO THE FSM!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:NEW EPISODE! NEW EPISODE! GLORY BE TO THE FSM!!!
THANK YOU, was having difficulty finding a good video quality one.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

So there goes the anti-ponies nuclear weapons as an effective deterrent.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Friendship cannon fully charged... firing!Image, confirmed kill on Twilight Sparkles sanity!
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Cripes, Applejack just can't catch a break, can she? Not only do she and Pinkie Pie not get their own awesome moment/gag in this episode, her role as the strong, hard-working pony is again undermined by Rainbow Dash easily outdoing her with the barn-destruction. I do feel that the way she's depicted is a genuine concern. She is now my third-favorite pony solely based on the pity I feel for her. She needs more episodes, more development and more climactic achievements.

Still, it was a hilarious episode. Lots of great moments. Quite liked some of the interesting ways they played around with the animation in this. I hate how some people are already claiming the new season has sold out (or something) for the flimsiest of reasons.

Something that I think the episode got wrong though: Celestia never properly addressed the problems that led to Twilight screwing up in the first place. I wish we had gotten to see her scolding Twilight for mind-raping her fellow ponies and the general ridiculous day-planning.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Still, it was a hilarious episode. Lots of great moments. Quite liked some of the interesting ways they played around with the animation in this. I hate how some people are already claiming the new season has sold out (or something) for the flimsiest of reasons.

Something that I think the episode got wrong though: Celestia never properly addressed the problems that led to Twilight screwing up in the first place. I wish we had gotten to see her scolding Twilight for mind-raping her fellow ponies and the general ridiculous day-planning.[/quote]
Princess Celestia don't care about the lowly pony's problems. This is the best Twilight ever!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

lordofchange13 wrote:Something that I think the episode got wrong though: Celestia never properly addressed the problems that led to Twilight screwing up in the first place. I wish we had gotten to see her scolding Twilight for mind-raping her fellow ponies and the general ridiculous day-planning.
There are limits to how much a busy monarch is going to micromanage the life of one subject, even if she is a prodigy. Celestia is not Twilight's mother, and given that part of the problem was Twilight's slavish adherence to an imagined dictate I would think she'd be a little reluctant to try and fix the problem with a royal command to 'be less OCD'. Finally in dramatic terms it is more satisfying for characters to overcome their flaws on their own.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Starglider wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Something that I think the episode got wrong though: Celestia never properly addressed the problems that led to Twilight screwing up in the first place. I wish we had gotten to see her scolding Twilight for mind-raping her fellow ponies and the general ridiculous day-planning.
There are limits to how much a busy monarch is going to micromanage the life of one subject, even if she is a prodigy. Celestia is not Twilight's mother, and given that part of the problem was Twilight's slavish adherence to an imagined dictate I would think she'd be a little reluctant to try and fix the problem with a royal command to 'be less OCD'. Finally in dramatic terms it is more satisfying for characters to overcome their flaws on their own.
That wasn't actually me saying that, the
Person wrote: thing at the beginning got deleted when i edited it, was originally said by Bright. Though i do think if mighty Celestia had the time to fly to ponyville she had the time to enact a punishment, even if that wouldn't make a lot of sense in the context of the show; there is a difference between being OCD about controlling your students lives and scolding said student for mind manipulating her friends and being a total creeper.
Psawhn
Youngling

Post by Psawhn »

Bright wrote:Something that I think the episode got wrong though: Celestia never properly addressed the problems that led to Twilight screwing up in the first place. I wish we had gotten to see her scolding Twilight for mind-raping her fellow ponies and the general ridiculous day-planning.
I think that would have undermined the actual lesson - that you consider your friends' feelings and take them seriously, no matter how inane you think the reason is.

Saying "don't mess with other pony's minds" doesn't help - Twilight would just probably have done something else to cause a mess anyway. Telling her not to meticulously plan her day, or not to worry about deadlines and such ("Be less OCD"), doesn't work either for the simple reason that that's who Twilight is - and "don't be you" is poor advice. If, instead, however, at the picnic, Twilight's friends validated her fear of submitting a tardy letter and let her feel heard, rather than brushing it off, she probably would have been more receptive to hearing that no letter at all is acceptable.

The main moral of this episode ("Take your friends' feelings seriously") is actually advice that I've seen in regards to relationships and marriage. It's important that your partner realizes that his/her feelings are heard, and that, no, (s)he's not crazy for having emotions. Even if the thing they're worked up about is something you don't think is important, you should still, first and foremost, let them know that you recognize and understand how they're feeling and that their feelings are real. Then you can work on solving the problem, or reassuring them that it's no problem, or reaching a compromise, or whatever the root cause of the issue is. But validating their feelings comes first.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Or, even if your friend has emotions that are "crazy", they still HAVE THEM, so they still have to deal with them - and you as a friend should help them if you can.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

I have a new goto gif for when bad things happen:
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

:P Saved.

Aw, man, I think this was one of the best episodes yet. Probably my favourite moment was Big Macintosh just walking up to the brawling CMCs and plucking the toy out of there. But we definitely need an Applejack episode (because AJ=best pony).
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Agreed, one of the best episodes yet!!
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Chuck's review of the pilot is out:

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-5658418

He talks a fair bit about the show in general as well. In short, he likes it, thinks it's well-written and fairly nuanced in some respects, but didn't become involved enough with it to call himself a brony. Also, that Watchmen reference made me laugh...
NoDot
Redshirt

Post by NoDot »

Wired Exclusive

Gee, Luna, with an entrance like that, I'm sure you'll change that public image of yours in no time flat!

(Seriously, wonderful Princess of Darkness bit she has. That clip did a better job making me interested in her than all the fan characterization from the part year or so.)

Also, Pipsqueak:

Facebook Link
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

All Hail the God Princess!
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

NoDot wrote:Wired Exclusive

Gee, Luna, with an entrance like that, I'm sure you'll change that public image of yours in no time flat!
Ok now she's clearly just fucking with them.

*swoops down in a monster carriage pulled by vampire pegasi*
*everypony runs like their ass is on fire*

"Problem, Equestria?" /trollface
Kanye West Saves.

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Nope, she's just behaving as was traditional when she was banished a thousand years ago, she hasn't acclimated to the modern customs yet. So it looks like the writers went the 'unshorn fetlocks' direction.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

You mean to say that ponies no longer greet each other with a hearty "I WILL EAT YOU SOUL"?
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok so a few things on the new episode...
One, If this how she behaved 1000 years ago, it is easy to see how she got pissed off enough to become NIghtmare Moon in the first place.
Two, if this is how LUNA behaved 1000 years ago, imagine what CELESTIA was like. Again, easier to imagine the whole Banished to the moon thing.
Three...

While Celestia was not actually in this episode, this may be one of her worst Trolls ever. Why?
Because Luna has been free for Months, Possibly more then a YEAR, and in all that time Celestia never bothered to explain how things have changed a little bit, and instead sends her off in a way sure to freak out the ponies. Wicked Troll.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: While Celestia was not actually in this episode, this may be one of her worst Trolls ever. Why?
Because Luna has been free for Months, Possibly more then a YEAR, and in all that time Celestia never bothered to explain how things have changed a little bit, and instead sends her off in a way sure to freak out the ponies. Wicked Troll.
True, Especially because she come in on vampire ponies, who had to be trained over the last year to be her servants; with celestia over that time never saying that Princess citizen relations have changed over the century's.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Zakera seems really into the whole "scare the children shitless" thing.

*watches some more*

Okay, Luna takes the cup of "scaring the children shitless" category.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

It seems that Rainbow Dash will finally get a pet on nov. 19, hope it's an eagle or something.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Nah, I am guessing that it would be something more tame and complementary to her stlye. Look at Pinky Pie's Gummy: it (I have no idea what gender it is nor how can it be toothless) is a very placid, slow creature in contrast to Pinky Pie's tremendus amount of energy and constant seek of fun. Fluttershy's Angel is bossy and even a little mean. Opalescence is quite aloof.

I'm betting on a bat. Just because I find the mental image of a bat cluchting on to Dash for its dear life adorable.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.