My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Here's something appropriate to today I ran across:
Greetings to all of my faithful subjects!

Hello everypony,

I hope you are all finding your day to be absolutely marvelous and filled with endless amounts of friendship! As you know, it is my royal duty to ensure the well being of all ponies across Equestria, and seeing the smiles on the faces of fillies and colts alike makes the tireless work I do raising and lowering the sun even more worthwhile!

Now some of you may have heard of a certain...event today. Unfortunately, the return of Princess Luna has gotten in the way of some extremely important preparations, and to top that off, my four avatars of death, famine, plague, and war are nowhere to be found. Sadly, without their assistance, I will be unable to burn every single one of you to a crisp and rip the world asunder until at least next year, probably some time around August.

I hope this doesn't inconvenience anypony! Maybe next time I won't be such a klutz :D

Your Glorious, totally non-tyrannical leader
Princess Celestia

P.S. Luna says hi
P.S.S. Would someone PLEASE send a new mailmare?
P.S.S.S. I'm bumping the New Rapture up to October, this idiot is driving me INSANE!
P.S.S.S.S. The GREAT and PO...Queen Celestia can add as many S's and P's as she damn well pleases!
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/e ... girls.html

This is, frankly, mind-blowing. :D

The Hub is openly acknowledging the brony-fandom with an on-air advert.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Hey, it's an easy way to get more ratings.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Found THIS PICTURE on thew site recently... REALLY makes me wish we could do Image macros here, but don't want to spam up the thread. Ill have to say is that when you think about the "Nephew" of Princess Celestia things get REALLY complicated,
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Lauren Faust has previously stated that "nephew" is a gross overstatement. It's more like "Great great 80x removed nephew".
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

My friend Rogue and I's best guess is that Celestia and Luna came to Equestria like Superman did, and this "Prince Blueblood" is a descendant of their version of Ma and Pa Kent - Thus, they are related, but not by blood, thus why we don't have any other Pegacorn Princess ponies around.

Bloody worthless nobles...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

So I'm looking around SB and I find this. Now for those of you who haven't heard of 'Cupcakes' it's pretty much a snuff fanfic where Rainbow Dash gets tortured to death by Pinky Pie for ingrediants, don't read it. For those of you who may know what I'm talking about and checked my explanation before clicking it, it's perfectly SFW with no scenes from the fanfic depicted.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Some guy created some pretty damn detailed statistics about pony screen times:

http://bronyman.blogspot.com/2011/06/po ... -time.html

I have to admit, I'm surprised Rainbow Dash it at the bottom - though I suppose the time spent on the five main characters aside from Twilight Sparkle is actually pretty evenly split, so the difference isn't big. However, I still think Applejack's characterization is comparatively neglected and that we need more of her in particular in season 2.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well you know, Rainbow Dash moves so fast that it's hard to keep her on-screen for very long :D
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

General Schatten wrote:So I'm looking around SB and I find this. Now for those of you who haven't heard of 'Cupcakes' it's pretty much a snuff fanfic where Rainbow Dash gets tortured to death by Pinky Pie for ingrediants, don't read it. For those of you who may know what I'm talking about and checked my explanation before clicking it, it's perfectly SFW with no scenes from the fanfic depicted.
Well, Pinkie Pie does do that "always there, no matter how fast you run away" thing that all good slasher villains and movie monsters do.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

OooOo, a My Little Pony thread. By Celestia, I love this show.
NecronLord wrote: severe lack of pro-Celestia material out there
Alfalfa Monster
D'aaaw
B'aaaw
BRRRRRRRRRM
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Thanks for that (the image). I don't like how the article starts off with UNEMPLOYED NERD LOL, but its actually pretty balanced. The comments are great, though: first its like OMG IS THIS FROM THE ONION YOU GUYS ARE GAY!, then the bronies arrive and its all love and tolerance.

Speaking of comments; this is one of the only things on youtube with comments that are largely positive. This show has defeated youtube.

Also, Rise up, comrade ponies! You have nothing to lose but your bridles!
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Dear god reading that was Awesome, the amount of detail, not just in that article but some of the comments seem as if they were done by real Economic or Social professors. this comment about half way day could have been plucked from a scoial journal.. If there were for MLP
The thing that you need to remember out Twilight Sparkle’s magic powers is that her talent (and all ponies have talents, reflected by their cutie marks) is her skill at magic. We see this when casts a spell on Rarity that gives her wings, which despite being a unicorn, Rarity is incapable of doing. I think that the extent of a unicorn’s magical powers is tied to the talent their cutie mark reflects. So while Twilight Sparkle can cast almost any spell or perform any task with her magic because her cutie mark signifies “talented at magic”, Rarity’s powers seem to be more limited to things that help her with her talent of “fashion designer” like fine control over tools like needles and scissors and the creation of light shows.

I think this is why unicorns can’t simply take over the businesses earth ponies run with manual labor, because their magic has limited abilities outside of their cutie-mark talent. In reference to the apple harvest, while Twilight Sparkle is able to harvest a large amount of apples using magic I imagine most unicorns would be incapable of that feat, and would probably become fatigued quickly. Also, even if a unicorn was able to harvest apples faster than an earth pony, their magic would probably not give them greater knowledge or skill at maintaining the apple orchards. All of the apple orchards of Equsteria seem to be run by one family whose cutie marks are all of apples, reflecting their special talent at cultivating them. Even if a magically superior unicorn would try to go into business against the earth pony Apple family, she would probably fail without the proper cutie mark.

Also, it is possible that cutie marks are hereditary within families, as shown in the Apple family and their apple-based cutie marks. It would also explain why the ponies’ names frequently match their cutie marks, because their parents were able to make an educated guess based on family history what their child’s cutie mark and special talent would ultimately be. So if the cutie mark that signifies “good at cultivating apples” is restricted to earth pony families, a unicorn would be unlikely to have one and create a magically superior apple cultivation business. In that way the inequality that would seem to arise between earth ponies and pegasi and unicorns would be dampened, because while unicorns control magic and pegasi can fly and control the weather, earth ponies would have a wider variety of cutie marks that unicorn/pegasus families don’t have, and thus would be much more talented and capable at those tasks.

So in short, even though only unicorns posses magic, they cannot control all aspects of society with that magic because their magical abilities are only powerful in the areas their cutie mark-talents require it to be. Because earth ponies have a different set of cutie marks and thus a different set of talents than unicorns (and pegasi) they all work together on equal footing because Equastrian society could not function without the talents of all of the different types of ponies working together.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Thought some of you might enjoy this:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

OK so Was rather surprised at this... Three awesome things..

NPR: "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me"
Bill Clinton:
My Little Ponies:

TOGETHER IN THE SAME PLACE!!!

05, President Clinton founded the Clinton Global Initiative to address "the world's most pressing challenges." Next week in Chicago, Clinton is hosting the CGI America meeting, with a focus on job creation and economic growth in the U.S.

And because there's no possible segue from such important work to a show as silly as ours, we'll just come right out and say it: We decided to quiz the former president and Rhodes scholar about the My Little Pony show. The famously well-informed leader answers three questions about Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle.

Copyright © 2011 National Public Radio®. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

PETER SAGAL, host:

And now, the game where we ask knowledgeable people about things they know nothing about, it's called Not My Job. In 2005, President Bill Clinton founded the Clinton Global Initiative, which has gone on to help more than 300 million people around the world. He's coming to Chicago next week for the CGI America conference to help spur job creation in the U.S. And he joins us now in advance of his trip to Chicago so we can give him some tourism tips. President Clinton, welcome to WAIT WAIT...DON'T TELL ME!

President BILL CLINTON: Thank you.

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: Very excited to have you, sir. I have to ask, first of all, have you ever actually heard our show?

President CLINTON: No.

SAGAL: Good.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: That is so totally the answer I wanted.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: I have to be honest.

SAGAL: No, that's fine. I just want you to know that we've treated you with the utmost respect.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Really.

President CLINTON: So you hope I enjoyed it while it lasted.

SAGAL: I do, I do. Trust me on that. So we're very excited to have you come to Chicago next week. What exactly are you going to be doing here?

President CLINTON: Well, actually we're having an experiment. We're trying to see whether if we had one of these CGI, Clinton Global Initiative meetings where people all make commitments to do something, and we focused it exclusively on creating jobs and preparing people for the workforce whether we could actually get enough commitments to make a difference. And even more importantly, whether the act of doing it would receive enough attention that other people would say, well I could do those things in our community.

SAGAL: Now, I understand the way it works is in the Clinton Global Initiative in general you get people to make commitments in terms of something they're going to do for the cause at hand.

President CLINTON: Yes.

SAGAL: How do you enforce these commitments? If they don't come through on whatever the promise is, do they get, like, stern phone calls from you in the middle of the night?

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: Well, we haven't had to enforce them so much now. We just tell people if you come to our meeting and you don't make a commitment or you make it and you don't make any attempt to keep it, unless there's some third force preventing, if people don't make the commitments or don't try to keep them, then we just don't invite them back.

SAGAL: Oh wow.

President CLINTON: I mean...

SAGAL: You snub them.

President CLINTON: And the whole purpose of the meeting is to get beyond talking to doing. Once you actually have to put yourself on the line and then you know somebody's going to know whether you did it or not, it clarifies things quickly and you really just talk about what will work.

SAGAL: Well, actually I'm curious about your life these days. Can I ask you in general, what is more fun: being president or being ex-president?

President CLINTON: I guess in terms of raw fun, I've never had any more fun in my life, I love this. But I loved being president too. Even the bad days were good. When you're president, you have more power to help more people, but you also are the prisoner of circumstances as well, and countervailing political forces more.

SAGAL: Right.

President CLINTON: When you're a former president, you have much less power, but you have a lifetime of experience and contacts and if you've got the energy, you can bring influence to bear on a small but still fairly substantial number of things where you can concentrate on it because you don't have to change the subject when you wake up in the morning and there's something else in the newspaper.

SAGAL: I've noticed you haven't mentioned the advantages of having an army though.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: I mean you see some problem...

President CLINTON: Well, an army?

SAGAL: Yeah, an army.

President CLINTON: An army, a movie theater, a weekend retreat.

SAGAL: Yeah.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: A helicopter, a jet airplane and they always play a song when you walk in the room.

SAGAL: Yeah.

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of applause)

President CLINTON: The worst thing about not being president anymore is I was disoriented for three weeks because nobody every played a song when I walked in.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Really.

President CLINTON: I never knew where I was.

SAGAL: Mrs. Clinton didn't like just hum something for you just to ease the transition.

President CLINTON: Well, you know, by the time I left office, she was a senator.

President CLINTON: And then...

SAGAL: So you had to get an appointment to see her.

President CLINTON: My major political identity has been as her spouse for the last decade and I like it that way too.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Did she have to give you a little lesson as you made that transition in standing to the side and gazing adoringly?

President CLINTON: No, actually I sort of knew how to do that because...

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: Because I had observed it in other pictures.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: I understand. I mean you're flying all over the world with the Clinton Global Initiative. She's flying all over the world as the secretary of state. I only imagine when you guys want to have a date night it must involve a week of staff work just to...

President CLINTON: No, that's not so bad. But what we try to do is to be home on the weekends. So for example, she went to Montego Bay in Jamaica to meet with the Caribbean nations on their problems with Narco trafficking...

SAGAL: That's what she told you. I just want to establish...

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: Yeah, yeah.

SAGAL: That was her story, but go on.

President CLINTON: That's her story and she's sticking to it.

President CLINTON: Then, she testified before the Congress on Libya and Afghanistan. But she's coming home, so we'll get to spend the weekend together?

Mr. MOZ JOBRANI (Founder, Axis of Evil): Do you guys Skype?

President CLINTON: Do we what? No.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. JOBRANI: Skype.

SAGAL: You don't like text to each other.

President CLINTON: No. Well that's not quite true. We send texts when she's overseas or I'm overseas.

SAGAL: That's so cute to imagine you like...

Mr. TOM BODETT (Author, Humorist): BBMing each other.

SAGAL: Yeah, lol.

President CLINTON: Now that I said that, I can't wait for somebody to pull them up.

SAGAL: Yeah, I know.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: They'll be boring but endearing I hope.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: What do you think of all the comedians? Because you were the butt of some humor back during your presidency. Did you ever pay any attention? Did it ever bother you? Did you enjoy it or did you just not care?

President CLINTON: Oh yeah, no I thought a lot of the "Saturday Night Live" guys were great.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Oh, you enjoyed that.

President CLINTON: Oh yeah. Actually, a time or two, Phil Hartman came to Washington and did one of those press dinners with me once and we, you know, pretended. We took turns being me.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Who was a better you, him or you?

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: That night, I think he was a better me than I was. I was a little off my feed that night.

SAGAL: Well, Mr. President, we are delighted to have you with us, but we do want to play a game with you and today we're calling...

President CLINTON: This is the part where you make me look like a fool, right?

SAGAL: No, sir.

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: The farthest thing from our minds. This is the part where you...

President CLINTON: I'm going to create a job at my CGI America; somebody will volunteer to be my tutor for a year after this is over.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: All right, we have invited you here to play a game we're calling?

CARL KASELL, host:

Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle.

SAGAL: So you're a former president, you're a Rhodes scholar, you're famously well informed. What could we be sure that an accomplished person like you would know nothing about? And then the answer came to us: the TV show "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Answer three questions, or answer two out of three questions about the wonderful world of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and you win our prize for one of our listeners, Carl's voice on their home answering machine. Carl, who is President Clinton playing for?

KASELL: The President is playing for Dave Parks of Chico, California.

President CLINTON: Poor Dave.

SAGAL: Poor Dave, I know.

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: So here we go. You ready to do this? One of the current My Little Ponys is Rarity. That is her name, Rarity. What is her particular enthusiasm? A: she loves her little line of toys called My Even Tinier Ponies.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: B: giving other ponies makeovers. Or C: eating paste.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: Eating what?

SAGAL: Eating past, sir, Mr. President.

President CLINTON: P-A-S-T-E?

SAGAL: P-A-S-T-E, paste, sir.

President CLINTON: B.

SAGAL: Yes, giving other ponies makeovers. Yes, that is in fact Rarity's...

(Soundbite of bell)

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: Big enthusiasm. Very fashion conscious, our Rarity is. All right, when ponies in Equestria discover their true talents in life, they earn something. What? A tattoo on their flank, known as a cutie mark. B: a title, such as Fluttershy the Inventive. Or C: the right to mate.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: A.

SAGAL: A. You're going to go for A, a tattoo known as the cutie mark? Oh, you're right, sir.

(Soundbite of bell)

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of applause)

Ms. JESSI KLEIN (Comedienne): I have to say I think it's probably fair to say this is the highest stake situation President Clinton has ever been in.

SAGAL: I think so.

Ms. KLEIN: In his entire life.

SAGAL: And he's doing so well.

Ms. KLEIN: He's killing it.

SAGAL: That's true.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: All right, well let's see if you can be perfect. The ponies' most powerful enemy is which of these? A: Krastos the Glue Maker.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: If he's not, he ought to be.

SAGAL: Yeah, I know. B: the evil pony Nightmare Moon. Or C: the cynical grownup, Chester.

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: B.

SAGAL: B, you're going to go for the evil pony Nightmare Moon. You're right, Mr. President.

Mr. BODETT: Wow.

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of bell)

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: Nightmare Moon is released in the opening episode from the prison where she's been held for a thousand years, and is only defeated by the ponies working together, and then they have a party.

(Soundbite of laughter)

SAGAL: Carl, how did President Clinton do on our quiz?

KASELL: President Clinton wins again, Peter.

SAGAL: Oh my gosh.

KASELL: He had three correct answers. So the President wins for Dave Parks.

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: Another victory for you, sir. You've done so much. Been elected twice, governor of Arkansas, the youngest governor ever. How does this stack up?

(Soundbite of laughter)

President CLINTON: It's right up there.

SAGAL: All right.

(Soundbite of laughter)

(Soundbite of applause)

SAGAL: President Bill Clinton is hosting the Clinton Global Initiative meeting next week in Chicago, with a focus on job creation right here in the United States. President Clinton, thank you so much for joining us on WAIT WAIT...DON'T TELL ME!

(Soundbite of applause)

Copyright © 2011 National Public Radio®. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to National Public Radio. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

I caught the end of that, and a bit of the next part, where they had on one of their former interns who is now a "Bronie". He admitted that, yes, as a matter of fact he IS unemployed and living in his mother's basement, but blamed it on his being an English major and working on their show.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I skipped over reading this transcript, because I sure as hell want to hear this before I read it. Love the podcast!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Honestly those answers were not very hard to guess.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I am going to do a thread necro on this thread to suggest that any MLP pictures and dicussion should continue here so we avoid any debacle in Testing. While I'd rather not have a ton of brony stuff on the site; I am not an admin or mod and this probably would be a better solution then Thanas making some silly rules in Testing.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Picture spam belongs in testing unless some mods over here would like the forum bandwith to get taken over by 100+ pictures of this stuff.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Except it wouldn't all be pic spam and there has barely been any picspam. I kinda feel dirty posting in this thread but your methods are pretty tasteless (insert a shitty joke here) and you might as well let them do it here than enforce arbitrary rules on a Testing thread. I mean I am surprised they'd even post there after that tryhard RP thread.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The vast majority of that stuff is picturespam. It has no discussion of artistic impression/skill, no message (other than "let's combine random pop culture elements together"). If people want to discuss the show or the fandom then I would agree that this belongs in this thread, but just posting huuuuuuge pictures of images after images without coherence or connections to another is the very definition of picture spam.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

OK, I think we've sorted this out for now, let's just see how it goes.
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

This is my contribution back to the fandom. Never would have guessed a show about colored ponies would be what drives me to start editing videos again and certainly not being able to blend it with Babylon 5 of all things. Enjoy folks. :D
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)