My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Skgoa wrote:I know its a pic, but I just had to post this here: Image
Posted earlier in the thread but I don't think anyone ever noticed it because it was just a link.

Yeah I wanted to post the full version myself but its just so HUGE.
Still, given the members of SD.net they should get a kick out of the sheer amount of awesome math put into that :D

Also, having watched the new ep a few more times... Have to say a lot of people are saying it felt "rushed" but really I don't know how you could set up everything, and still have enough time to then resolve things in part two. I doubt they want to do a Three parter at this stage.

Also.. Is it just more or did Celestia TOTALLY dodge giving a real reason for why she wanted the mane six to do this instead of her?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Yeah, Trollestia is doing the whole not getting involved thing again.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Just watched the episode. Does anyone else think that Discord just made the Elements of Harmony invisible when they opened the box and the whole "Find the elements back where you began" bit means that they have to double-check the room they were in? The mention of how only Celestia can open that door makes me think that Discord waited for Celestia to open it before magiking them away instead of bypassing the security himself.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have to say that Discord did a fine job of reversing personalities on the ManeSix. The only ones who almost got away were Rarity and Fluttershy, and of them all I think Fluttershy was the most trouble for Discord to warp.

He didn't even need to warp Twilight (possible can't warp magic like that, actually). Without the friendship of the other ponies, Twilight is back to being a bookworm. A leader without followers is useless.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I do wonder, though: some of these supposedly defining character traits seem to not come up that often. Applejack never lies? Yeah, unless when she does. Rarity is generous? Unless she wants something a lot. Rainbow Dash is always loyal? Unless when she is in a race instead or just wants to take a nap.

Bright wrote:
evilsoup wrote:You think it might cause tension amongst the mane cast? It's almost as if the villain is trying to sow 8) discord.
I'm more referring to how they're presented in the narrative. If the others are still able to function on equal ground with AJ and Pinkie even without their horns and wings, then earth ponies really are the loser race. Their "gifts" are already fairly marginalized and vaguely defined, and now Discord's challenge seems to imply they had nothing of significance worth removing.
This is a character driven show. Pinkie and AJ have made substantial contributions before, why should it stop now?

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Also.. Is it just more or did Celestia TOTALLY dodge giving a real reason for why she wanted the mane six to do this instead of her?
I noticed that. I also notice that when she talks about them using the elements to defeat Nightmare Moon, she only refers to them defeating a great evil. Looks like Celestia is editing Luna's part in that out of the official history.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Rossum wrote:Just watched the episode. Does anyone else think that Discord just made the Elements of Harmony invisible when they opened the box and the whole "Find the elements back where you began" bit means that they have to double-check the room they were in? The mention of how only Celestia can open that door makes me think that Discord waited for Celestia to open it before magiking them away instead of bypassing the security himself.
That was my theory. Easier to hide something then to steal it. And if you're truly a trickster, what could be more satisfying then sending someone on a search for something that was never stolen?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

LadyTevar wrote:He didn't even need to warp Twilight (possible can't warp magic like that, actually). Without the friendship of the other ponies, Twilight is back to being a bookworm. A leader without followers is useless.
You need to get out less and spend more time indoors with cheesy anime. :mrgreen:
Seriously, the whole thing is the most classic of all setups for the girl to overcome her self and reunite the others. Now she will have to prove that she is more than a book work etc. I've seen it a million times already. Not that it makes it any less brilliant.

Also, I have a different theory about where they will find the elements. Most likely, it will be where it all really began back in that creepy castle in season 1. But thats just me and a lot of wishful thinking.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

It's most likely either that they're invisible or in the Everfree forest. The latter was my initial thought, but the prior seems like it would be more in character for Discord.

I mean, he resorted to machinations and illusions to warp most of them and really didn't need to.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Oh, did anyone else notice that in the vison applejack got of the groups splitting up that Twilight had her horn while everyone else was missing their horns and wings? So, Discord was obviously not showing the real future (since he gave them all their wings and horns back at the end of the episode) but for some reason singled out Twilight by letting her 'future self' keep her horn in the vision.

I'm guessing that Discord can't simply take away her own element of magic the way he did with the others (or that he's got something else in store for her and needs to truly break up their friendship to really get the element of magic out of way).

And yeah, Celestia should have given the group a bit more support, at the least send some guards with them to keep watch and remind them just how nasty Discord is. At least tell them that he's a trickster god who can't be trusted and he'd cheat if given the chance. Even the cat from Coraline who warned about the Other Mother was more helpful than Celestia was.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Rossum wrote:Oh, did anyone else notice that in the vison applejack got of the groups splitting up that Twilight had her horn while everyone else was missing their horns and wings? So, Discord was obviously not showing the real future (since he gave them all their wings and horns back at the end of the episode) but for some reason singled out Twilight by letting her 'future self' keep her horn in the vision.

I'm guessing that Discord can't simply take away her own element of magic the way he did with the others (or that he's got something else in store for her and needs to truly break up their friendship to really get the element of magic out of way).

And yeah, Celestia should have given the group a bit more support, at the least send some guards with them to keep watch and remind them just how nasty Discord is. At least tell them that he's a trickster god who can't be trusted and he'd cheat if given the chance. Even the cat from Coraline who warned about the Other Mother was more helpful than Celestia was.
The only reason Celestia doesn't solve everything with a clank of her hooves is one reason: that would be boring, and every one knows gods HATE to be bored!
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

52 seconds of the next episode.

Also, it seems there will be a gap of more than a week between the next episode and the episode after.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Oscar Wilde wrote:

52 seconds of the next episode.

Also, it seems there will be a gap of more than a week between the next episode and the episode after.
It would seem that the Elements of Harmony were just made invisible, from what i can tell from the clip.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

That explains why Celestia didn't help them. She had to get the stained glass windows in place.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:I have to say that Discord did a fine job of reversing personalities on the ManeSix. The only ones who almost got away were Rarity and Fluttershy, and of them all I think Fluttershy was the most trouble for Discord to warp.

He didn't even need to warp Twilight (possible can't warp magic like that, actually). Without the friendship of the other ponies, Twilight is back to being a bookworm. A leader without followers is useless.
I was quite liking Discord until Fluttershy. He cheated! All the other ponies, he tempted, and they fell - Fluttershy resisted the bait! What kind of trickster god forces people to do his bidding? :wtf:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

PART TWO IS UP!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cvhGp9t2AU&hd=1

Check it quick before youtube takes it down!
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That was definately a fun episode. I liked the pissed off "roll call" Twilight Sparkle gave:

"Necklace, necklace, necklace, necklace, and big crown thingie!" :D

And poor, poor Spike...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

My favorite parts were Flutterbitch encouraging Angel, Fluttershy getting mad over the prospect of Discord winning, and of course 'I thought we agreed to never talk about that ever again'. Oh and Princess LeiaCelestia giving them their award at the end was pretty neat.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

General Schatten wrote:My favorite parts were Flutterbitch encouraging Angel, Fluttershy getting mad over the prospect of Discord winning, and of course 'I thought we agreed to never talk about that ever again'. Oh and Princess LeiaCelestia giving them their award at the end was pretty neat.
For me the Crowning moment of funny was when twilight makes all the others put on there magic necessaries. Does anyone know when the next episode is out?
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

iirc there is a two week gap.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

well, Celestia did step up this time, sending the letters back to Twilight to remind her what friendship means. Nice StarWars homage at the end. I am surprised Discord didn't recognize that with the ManeSix having their wits back, they would also have their Harmony back. Honestly, a chaos being should have realized it *could* happen. True Chaos never remains stagnant, and reverting back was just one of the possibilities.

Pinkie having one last chocolate milk was giggle-worthy, especially the growl she gave afterwards. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:well, Celestia did step up this time, sending the letters back to Twilight to remind her what friendship means. Nice StarWars homage at the end. I am surprised Discord didn't recognize that with the ManeSix having their wits back, they would also have their Harmony back. Honestly, a chaos being should have realized it *could* happen. True Chaos never remains stagnant, and reverting back was just one of the possibilities.

Pinkie having one last chocolate milk was giggle-worthy, especially the growl she gave afterwards. :)
Indeed so, was glad to see Celestia having some sort of active roll, even if it was just sending the letters back.

Over all I was very pleased with the episode, the Humor and jokes had me rolling and cackling a few times. I think "You are the new Rainbow Dash" was one of the best jokes of the night.
That said... I did feel the resolution was a bit of a let down. After the attempted use of the EoH half way through was a dud, I thought they were setting up some other way of defeating Discord. After Twilight came back it just felt "Too Easy" when they banished him...It would have felt better if he had actually Noticed they were a team again and fought back instead of just taking it :P
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Just to document this forever: Image

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Molyneux wrote:I was quite liking Discord until Fluttershy. He cheated! All the other ponies, he tempted, and they fell - Fluttershy resisted the bait! What kind of trickster god forces people to do his bidding? :wtf:
If it helps, it took the shortest amount of time for Twilight to re-harmonize Fluttershy afterwards, compared to the others.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Skgoa wrote:Just to document this forever: Image

And I thought I was crazy for thinking the scenes looked similar.