"War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

"War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

War of the Green Lanterns" ignites with part 1 of the blockbuster event that'll burn into the summer! A malevolent force has usurped control over all the power batteries, leaving the Corps powerless except for a select few members. Now it's up to Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart and Sinestro to regain control – but can these warriors overcome their differences in time to save the universe!

I figured this deserved its own talkback thread as opposed to grouping it in the Brightest Day thread.

Let me begin by saying that my interest in the Lantern-verse has been flagging since the end of TBN. I've increasingly begun to feel that the mythology has been stuck in event-mode and telling the same story since 2007 and the end of SCW. I also think Johns has stretched himself too thin and it's affected his work quality compared to a few years ago.

That having been said, I'll acknowledge that Johns has kicked things off in grand style (and Bedard finally has a handle on GLC, s good for him). I thought it was going to be an ideological war with the Lanterns divided by differing loyalties. I wasn't expecting a mind-controlled GLC, but I have to give props to Krona for his ambition:

* Through his control of the entities, he has control of the Guardians.

* Through Parallax, has taken control of the entire GLC, just as the Fear Entity took control of the Earth Lanterns way back in Rebirth. He's also taken out the Alpha Lanterns, who were the biggest internal threat to his takeover.

* His agent Lyssa Drak has neutralized the New Guardians except for Hal, leaving the other Corps bereft of leadership at this crucial stage.

As I said before, Krona's return is bad news for everyone -- which again begs the question of what he's after this time.

We saw in earlier issues that he's even more of a hardliner than the Guardians about the emotional spectrum, that he's opposed to its expansion and the other 6 Corps. I think Krona's going to launch a war of extermination and sic the GLC on the other Corps, thus bringing the oath from LO3W back into play.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: "War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

So, now that we're halfway through...

The Earth Lanterns using the other rings really was really the logical choice, but I was kinda hoping the emotional spectrum would be left out.

I'm fine with Hal and Guy taking their rings -- and I'd love to see the look on Sinestro's face when he sees Jordan using his ring.

But Kyle taking the Blue Ring is sloppy writing, even though they acknowledged that it would only strengthen the GLC.

John going for Larfleeze's ring was interesting; I hope this gets explored more. But I'm still sick of the JLU marine retcon.

The big problem with the story so far is, despite the ambition of his actions, we still don't know what Krona's after -- though my suspicions remain the same.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

1. Hal looks damn hot in a Sinestro Corps outfit. Evil is sexy! Now if only he was drawn by Ivan Reis. Reis' Hal is the best example to me of "Even the Guys Want Him." Sorry, Bruce.

2. Kyle really should have taken Carol's ring since it'd actually be useful in combat. I'm guessing the outfit would not be as stripperific as the one for most female members, though, which is fine by me. Another thing about the usefulness part, Kyle with a Star Sapphire ring could possibly break Sora out of her Parallax trance through "power of love" and whatnot.

3. Mogo popping up again makes me wonder: Mogo vs the Death Star II. Hmm... Probably the Death Star. Mogo vs Galactus, on the other hand.

4. I'm currently wondering what happens to Nicole Morrison. Does she get a blue ring after this event? I always wonder what happens to minor characters and bystanders caught in the crossfire, like Krystal the temporary Star Sapphire way back in Mystery of the Star Sapphire. I want to know if her death sticks around in the back of Carol's mind. If it did, damn it, she would have been turned into a Black Lantern if only as a cameo, if that's the right word.

5. Back on topic, yes, attempt at fulfilling what is revealed in Legion of 3 Worlds. Probably not successful, if only for reason of massive fan rage.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

1. For me, Reis is the definitive Green Lantern artist. His depictions of Hal and Sinestro especially are pitch-perfect, even over Ethan Van Sciver -- and keep in mind, I love EVS' redesign of Sinestro.

2. Valid point.

3. Yeah, how in the hell are going to stop Mogo without killing the planet? They may not have a choice...

4. Now that you mention it, I'm surprised we didn't see Krystal pop up during TBN, but it's like Inertia not showing up in the Flash tie-in; too many characters to keep track of. I hope we see Nicole Morrison again, too.

5. It needs to be addressed. But I doubt it will be a full massacre. Johns and his crew have put too much energy and time into expanding the Lantern mythology. They're not going to blow it all up, especially with Johns' cache. I certainly don't want to see Larfleeze or Atrocitus killed.

I'm kinda hoping, though, that we get a return to the classic GL foes after this is all over. Johns clearly has plans for Evil Star, given the revelation of his involvement in the Kroloteans' experiments.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

JME2 wrote:5. It needs to be addressed. But I doubt it will be a full massacre. Johns and his crew have put too much energy and time into expanding the Lantern mythology. They're not going to blow it all up, especially with Johns' cache. I certainly don't want to see Larfleeze or Atrocitus killed.
For those who haven't been following the Current LoSH story Spoiler
Saturn Queen has been made mention of the "Blue Flame", and they (Saturn Queen and her team) showed up on/near Oa....
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Addressing #3, I have no clue. Mother Mercy? I haven't seen her in a while. Incidentally, due to the wonders of the search function, I found this thread in HoS. Yeah, Mogo dies if he meets the Death Star. There goes my idea of Brainiac going up against it, too.

I know little about Evil Star or any of his older villains. I only have stuff from Johns' run, some reprints of annuals from the 60's, some 80 page giants from the 90's, and a few issues from the 80's. The one that stuck to my mind was the Man in the Iron Lung because I couldn't stop laughing. I know there was one villain named Malvolio, who I heard of from here. According to the writer of that blog, "it's entirely possible that Malvolio's ring is still in play, as Kyle's current ring."
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ah, the Malvolio debate continues on.

If Johns picks up on it good for him. But I doubt it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Another point that I forgot to address -- we also need to question the wisdom of Hal using a Sinestro Corps ring when that Corps' entity is under Krona's control and inside the GLC Central Battery.

Hal might as well be wearing a shirt that says, "Back door's open, Fearosaurus!"

I suspect, though, that this why Johns set up that confrontation between Hal and the Fear Bug 'o Doom back in "New Guardians": Parallax hates Hal, but he's also afraid of him.

This will likely be a plot point during the second half.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Agreed. Parallax shouldn't be able to actually do the whole possession thing, though, right? He's kind of needed inside the battery, unless the influence is through him affecting yellow rings, too, something like what happened in Emerald Twilight.

On a tangent, it looks like The Gutters was hilariously close on predicting the actual ending for Brightest Day. (That should probably go into the Brightest Day talkback thread.)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Agreed. Parallax shouldn't be able to actually do the whole possession thing, though, right? He's kind of needed inside the battery, unless the influence is through him affecting yellow rings, too, something like what happened in Emerald Twilight.
Yes, he could reach out through the ring. Remember, he was able to control John and Guy even though he was possessing Hal back in Rebirth.

Again, I don't think he'll try it given his fear of Jordan.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Huh. I forgot entirely about that. I really need to get my own copy of Rebirth.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

As for Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #9, still no indication of Krona's plot. Updates on events in that issue. Spoiler
Guy has Krona's old power gauntlet in addition to a Red Lantern ring. Should make the fight against entity-possessed Guardians interesting.

John and Kyle's actions make me want to scream, "Never split the party, damn it!" Also, "Why would you let the guy with the ring that makes Green Lanterns more powerful stand next to the biggest and most powerful Green Lantern?"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:As for Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #9, still no indication of Krona's plot.
Which is not good dramatic pacing. We're at the end of the second act; something should have been revealed.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I just noticed Krona's cloak is in the promotion of Flashpoint, so I'm guessing whatever Krona's plan is, it all isn't going to be tied up in "WotGL "
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Anarchist Bunny wrote:I just noticed Krona's cloak is in the promotion of Flashpoint, so I'm guessing whatever Krona's plan is, it all isn't going to be tied up in "WotGL "
Which wouldn't surprise me; Johns loves to do continuity overlap between his books and projects. Hell, the White Power Ring was in the original promo, too.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Something else just occurred to me.

So, let's assume Krona's goal is indeed to wipe out the other Corps and restore balance to the emotional spectrum.

The question is, would the entities allow it? Does their loyalty to Krona trump their allegiance to their respective groups?

In Ophidian's case, the answer's easily no; he hates Larfleeze as much as Parallax hates Hal.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, this week sees GL# 66, GLC# 60, GGLEW# 10 and my oh my...
Spoiler
...RIP Mogo.

So, LO3W -- or at least elements of it -- are finally in play. And regardless of how the War ends, this will have serious repercussions for the GLC.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Seeing John use the Indigo power to channel Black Lantern energy was interesting. Not only is one pat of LO3W in play but the ateempt by Krona to change humans into Guardians might end up explaining why Sodam Yat ends up being a Guardian.

And the Indigo 1 bit was very interesting.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Seeing John use the Indigo power to channel Black Lantern energy was interesting. Not only is one pat of LO3W in play but the ateempt by Krona to change humans into Guardians might end up explaining why Sodam Yat ends up being a Guardian.
I really feel sorry for John. He's barely made peace with Xanshi and now this happens. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns his commission, thus accounting for the loss of one of the Earth Lanterns.

I also don't envy the GLC taking on the possessed Guardians. Trying to free them may be too difficult; they may have no choice, but to kill them -- thus explaining Sodam's lone Guardian status as you pointed out,
Darth Fanboy wrote:And the Indigo 1 bit was very interesting.
Indigo-1's backstory is something that needs to be tackled in the post-War stories. Johns has built it up for 2 years and now this adds a new wrinkle.

So, it looks like all the Indigo Tribesmen were former criminals and murderers who 'saw the light'. How did Abin discover the Indigo light and Indigo-1?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The other big question from this week is whether or not Sinestro's dead.

In theory, the answer's yes thanks to Krona burning that page of the Book of the Black.

However, Johns has put too much time into building up Sinestro and I doubt they'd kill this close to the movie.

Of course, I thought he was going to die in TBN, so we'll see.

Getting back to the Guardians, I've had a thought. Let's assume that the Guardians and entities are separated next month. The Oans would have all of the entities under their control. They also theoretically also have the generals/leaders of the other Corps as prisoners, either rematerialized or within the Book of the Black. They probably won't let either party go, which might raise tension with the other factions. And with their losses in the War of Light and Mogo dead, the GLC is in no shape to fight all 6 Corps at once.

And speaking of Guardians, where in the hell is Sayd? Or Hammond for that matter.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Lots of unanswered questions thus far, the only answer is a Larfleeze monthly.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Lots of unanswered questions thus far, the only answer is a Larfleeze monthly.
Heh. I second that.

I hope they get answered too. But the absence of Green Lantern in the next few months' solicitations -- combined with Johns' unexpected departure from The Flash in August -- is fueling rumors that Johns will be leaving GL after the War. That would leave a lot dangling, from Sayd to Indigo-1's back-story to Larfleeze's family.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Some of that could easily end up in the Red Lantern book though.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Some of that could easily end up in the Red Lantern book though.
If it's even still happening; that was supposed to come out at the start of the summer and it hasn't even been solicited.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It seems like a bad time to move away from the books with the movie coming out.