"War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: "War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It seems like a bad time to move away from the books with the movie coming out.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:It seems like a bad time to move away from the books with the movie coming out.
The film owes itself largely to Johns' success with Green Lantern and it would be a sad irony if he leaves just as it comes out.

And I do not envy whoever would take over if he left.

Either way, we'll hopefully know before the end of next month.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

It wouldn't be bad if some of the recently alluded to events were held back and revealed in the future, but the Larfleeze/Sayd thing really should be tied up.

Did Hector Hammond show up in Brightest Day around the time the Star Sapphires took on Hawkworld?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Larfleeze could find his family and make them Orange Lanterns...heheh

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:It wouldn't be bad if some of the recently alluded to events were held back and revealed in the future, but the Larfleeze/Sayd thing really should be tied up.
Johns has wrapped up most of his ongoing threads. The only major ones at present are Larfleeze's family, Indigo-1's backstory, and the whereabouts of Sayd and Hammond. Which leads us into...
Darth Fanboy wrote:Did Hector Hammond show up in Brightest Day around the time the Star Sapphires took on Hawkworld?
We haven't seen him since he blasted off of Earth during "New Guardians" -- and it is strange that Hammond didn't show up on Zamaron in the middle of Hawkworld's attack.

Considering Ophidian was without a host when the crossover began, it makes you wonder if Krona back stabbed his 'ally'. I do doubt, though, that Johns will kill Hammond this close to the movie.

Then again, Greg Rucka killed Ra's al Ghul just before Batman Begins came out, so you never know.
Darth Fanboy wrote:Larfleeze could find his family and make them Orange Lanterns...heheh
Heh, probably.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, even with the reboot of the entire DC line-up, it's confirmed that Johns will remain on GL and that the saga will remain ongoing.

So, these threads will be addressed - we hope -- and the Red Lantern book will likely be solicited for September.

Even with Paul Cornell writing, I'm still not sure if I'll pick it up, though.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

We now have confirmation on the post-Flashpoint lineup for GL in September:

* Green Lantern: Johns and Mahnke will remain on board and the series will still focus on Hal. Not details yet.

* Green Lantern Corps: Tomasi is back on GLC along with his Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors collaborator Fernando Pasarin. The series will star John and Guy as leaders of new a Lantern strike force.

* Green Lantern - The New Guardians: Will take the place of GLEW. Current GLC team Bedard and Kirkham will chronicle Kyle's adventures as leader of a new alliance between the Corps.

* Red Lanterns: Launching as planned with Paul Cornell and Ed Benes.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

We also now have our first look a the lineup for Green Lantern: New Guardians and it's interesting...
Spoiler
Kyle's representing the GLC.

Arkillo is representing the Sinestro Corps.

Walker is representing the Blue Lanterns.

Bleez is representing the Red Lanterns.

Munk's representing the Indigo Tribe.

Golumulus is representing the Orange Lanterns.

??? is representing the Star Sapphires.

So, Kyle and Walker make sense. If Atrocitus is busy running his Corps then a proxy makes sense. This probably explains why Sinestro, Indigo-1, Larfleeze, and Carol aren't present either -- especially if the fallout from Krona's operation is as big as it looks.

Or...it could indicate that only Walker and Atrocitus escape from the Book of the Black. In Carol's case, there's still the little matter of Atrocitus' prophecy from early 2009, so you never know...
Cover's also up for Red Lanterns.

I hate Ed Benes, but it's a nice homage to Ivan Reis' Hal and Sinestro covers from 2007.

Also it's Pete Milligan as the writer, not Paul Cornell. I've loved Milligan's Hellblazer run, so I am curious to see his take on Atrocitus.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Spoiler
As much as I would miss Sinestro, I'm going to go with Atrocitus and Walker being the only other ones to escape from the Book of the Black. It'd fit with the whole "only three will survive" bit, unless my memory is screwed up and that was supposed to refer to something else.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Spoiler
As much as I would miss Sinestro, I'm going to go with Atrocitus and Walker being the only other ones to escape from the Book of the Black. It'd fit with the whole "only three will survive" bit, unless my memory is screwed up and that was supposed to refer to something else.
Spoiler
No, it was referring to one of the Earth Lanterns. Only 3 are supposed to come out of this. Given the relaunch solicitations, and spoilers -- and that the main GL book wasn't solicited for July and August - I'm guessing Hal will temporarily step down, only to return in September
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

OK, never mind. That's just my poor memory, then.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

When we are getting GL #67?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:When we are getting GL #67?
It's been pushed back until the end of July -- which means the solicited Aftermath stories will have to be pushed back too lest they spoil the outcome of the War.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

BAAAAH. :evil:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either.

According to Didio, the delays are due to the creative talent being spread thin on the relaunch.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

STEVE SMASH STUPID EDITOR

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Conclusion's out. I'll post more thoughts later, but...oh my. :twisted:
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh my indeed. :shock:

Oh, you stupid, stupid smurfs...
Spoiler
And my predictions draw closer to fulfillment....

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah.
Spoiler
In a way, Atrocitus' prophecy has come to pass. The Guardians have stripped Hal of his commission; they've 'killed' his greatest love, his outlet for freedom. Now whether he fights back is another matter...

Worse, we know that Sinestro will be keeping the green ring and will be the new Lantern of Sector 2814. What the hell...

Then again, these are the idiots that pulled him out of the power battery to combat a rogue Hal back in '94.

What's going to be interesting is the fallout from this appointment.

1. Lyssa Drak's prophecy back in SCW is coming to pass, that Sinestro would be the greatest GL again. This

2. We know this won't last long; Hal is the perennial GL and we know he'll be in JLA.

Nevertheless, Sinestro's situation will undoubtedly mirror Hal's when the Corps was reformed: distrusted as a mass murdering scumbag. The difference is, Sinestro doesn't have the excuse of a giant yellow fear bug.

3. This might actually be the best thing the Guardians could have done. Consider -- the GLC was divided by the 10 Laws and the Guardians' ineptitude during TBN. They didn't want Hal back in either. But nobody attempted open rebellion.

But letting Sinestro back in -- that might finally break the camel's back. As it is, the Earth Lanterns and JLA are definitely not going to be happy.

4. What will happen to the Sinestro Corps? If Sinestro's a GL again, then it explains why Arkillo's representing the group in GLNG.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

That was the ending? It seemed kind of anti climatic that Hal somehow reached into deeper reserves and managed to seemingly kill Krona.

As for Hal being stripped of being a Green Lantern. Hasn't this sort of happened before in Ron Marz's run and also in the aftermath when Hal tried to get the power ring of Kyle Rayner? And Sinestro is back in the GL corps. Interesting. However what I dearly want to know is what ultimately happens to the other corps, since by Lo3W only Sodam Yat appears to be left.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

mr friendly guy wrote:That was the ending? It seemed kind of anti climatic that Hal somehow reached into deeper reserves and managed to seemingly kill Krona.

As for Hal being stripped of being a Green Lantern. Hasn't this sort of happened before in Ron Marz's run and also in the aftermath when Hal tried to get the power ring of Kyle Rayner? And Sinestro is back in the GL corps. Interesting. However what I dearly want to know is what ultimately happens to the other corps, since by Lo3W only Sodam Yat appears to be left.
Spoiler
Well, Mogo's down, in a way I never expected (I'd anticipated a Black Lantern Ranx killing Mogo during Blackest Night), so the rings no longer have Mogo's guiding intelligence to direct them to new carriers. This is the reason given for Sinestro getting a searching ring.

And given the utter hostility the Guardians showed to Saint Walker and the others, and their willingness to re-embrace Sinestro and cast out Hal (motivated mostly by fear, it seems, as Hal has now demonstrated an ability to override their rings' programming against lethal blows to them), one wonders if their plan - perhaps caused by possession by the Entities - is going to be to eliminate the other Corps. We'll have to see.

I'm also interested in how Atrocitus will be handled. On the one hand, the being responsible for the annihilation of his entire sector is dead. On the other, he didn't get to do the killing. His revenge has been denied him. One wonders if he will hate Hal for that or not. And then there is the prospect of another meeting with the Spectre...

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

GLC writer Tony Bedard's been interviewed and he's confirmed a lot of our suspicions for the next year's worth of stories:
Spoiler
* Despite Hal's standing, his expulsion is not taken well by the other Corpsmen -- and makes them fear they will be next if they step in line.

* The GLC will begin to question the Guardian's fitness to command the Corps -- which leads directly into Kyle's team in GLNG.

* The Guardians' actions have widened the rift with Ganthet.

* The loss of Mogo will have long-reaching consequences.

* Sinestro will be facing opposition from both the Earth Lanterns and other officers like Soranik. Sinestro himself is shocked to have been re-inducted.

* John isn't getting off scot-free; some Lanterns will feel the need for vigilante justice...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This is gonna be good. :twisted:

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'll give Johns credit. My interest in GL was starting to flag and now, I'm dying to see what happens next.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh yes! Just when it seemed his run was starting to tire a bit... BAM!