"War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: "War of the Green Lanterns" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Ahriman238 »

I think the lanterns at the end of Aftermath said it best. In and of himself, Sinestro is not the problem. The problem is that the crisis in the Corps is bad enough that the Guardians are seriously asking whether Sinestro is the man who can hold the Corps together. This is what they've been reduced to.

As for Hal killing Krona, even if the ring had no safeguards against killing a Guardian, as is apparently the case, a Guardian is (and I'm going by older stuff that's probably outdated/retconned by now, I know the basis for it is) roughly as powerful as one hundred Green Lanterns.

EDIT: Kyle seems a bit busy with his romantic and personal issues to try and lead the Corps right now. He admitted to Natu that their relationship was based on a lie, and has fallen out with John over the death of Mogo.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Absolutely. All I was saying is that from the remaining Earth Lanterns, Kyle is the least unlikely to be able to do it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ok that was a good story can we find Sayd soon?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Ok that was a good story can we find Sayd soon?
Yes. I know Johns likes to string out subplots (ex. The Massacre of Sector 666), but we need a bone thrown our way here.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It's a bit late, but the preview for GL#1 has been posted.

Again, this is going to be good. :twisted: But the Guardians have really gone off the deep end now.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

:facepalm:

I wouldn't call this the Guardians greatest screw-up ever, but it has to be up there. Actually, just the fact that they've previously messed up more than this before raises the question of why the hell they're still in charge.

Aside from a momentary amuesment that the Guardians are using their vast cosmic powers to give themselves Superman's spitcurl, are they actually going to try an mind control Ganthet rather than allow any form of dissent? I'm sure that will go over real well with the other Green Lanterns. And the Bluies. And I'm sure no one will blink at Ganthet suddenly doing a 180 on everything he's ever said or done and toeing the party line. Yep, nothing suspicious at all.

Am I the only one who thinks Ganthets been the only competent Guardian since the Crisis?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Ganthets been the only competent Guardian since the Crisis?
Don't forget Syd.

There's an additional preview image on DC's main site showing Hal in county lockup. Methinks the sheriff from the Aftermath threw him in on account of his spooky teleportation.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Honestly, there's a part of me getting tired of seeing the Guardians shoot themselves in the foot constantly, but I also suspect Johns is building up to something akin to what we saw foretold in Lo3W, with the altered GL oath that was more vicious and anti-spectrum.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah.

I think you're right; the entities' possession of the Oans during WOTGL was probably the last straw for them.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Prview is up for GLC# 1 and by golly, it's good to have Tomasi back.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Hal's MIA status with the Air Force makes me wonder what happened to General Stone. As we know from the early years, Stone was covering for Hal's absences in exchange for Lantern assistance with extraterrestrial research. And Stone's last present-day appearance was just before TBN; he's one of the supporting characters I miss.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

JME2 wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Ganthets been the only competent Guardian since the Crisis?
Don't forget Syd.

There's an additional preview image on DC's main site showing Hal in county lockup. Methinks the sheriff from the Aftermath threw him in on account of his spooky teleportation.
The one who agreed to take the orange and be Larfleeze's Guardian? Aside from that, she seemed a lot more intelligent and reasonable, but I had no idea who she was until she left Oa with Ganthet.

Bullshit. Show me where there's a law against teleporting in the desert. Show me! :)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:
JME2 wrote:
Don't forget Syd.

The one who agreed to take the orange and be Larfleeze's Guardian? Aside from that, she seemed a lot more intelligent and reasonable, but I had no idea who she was until she left Oa with Ganthet.

Bullshit. Show me where there's a law against teleporting in the desert. Show me! :)
Yes, I meant Sayd.

And the real cause of Hal's jailing was even better than I expected. :twisted:

Regarding Stone, it's possible he went into early retirement was forced to; the destruction of the research bunker happened on his watch after all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I wonder how often something like that happened to me :P
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:
I wonder how often something like that happened to me :P
Nah, only if Roxy Rocket staged it. :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Oh I'd never hang around to actually be arrested, that's for sure. But both me and Hal tend to go 'RAR! Crime in progress' and react pretty much on autopilot, the difference being while I still have my gadgets and can leave a 'My bad' note while the smoke clears away, Hal no longer has the ring.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Heh. 8)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

JME2 wrote:Prview is up for GLC# 1 and by golly, it's good to have Tomasi back.
IGN has interviewed Tomasi about his return to GLC.

It's going to be interesting to see him handle John in more detail. He also confirms that the GL books will be isolated again for a while, but hints they'll be another crossover down the road.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

They should give it a couple of years, I think. The gap between TBN and WotGL was only what, eight months or so?

I know Johns has major stuff still to develop, but I think it'd do the book good if he gave about 20 issues of smaller arcs. Build things up a bit slower than WotGL. Remember how long he spent bringing us up to Sinestro Corps War, and just how that buildup effected it when the storyline finally started.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:They should give it a couple of years, I think. The gap between TBN and WotGL was only what, eight months or so?
A year, more or less -- something I wasn't completely happy with.
Steve wrote:I know Johns has major stuff still to develop, but I think it'd do the book good if he gave about 20 issues of smaller arcs. Build things up a bit slower than WotGL. Remember how long he spent bringing us up to Sinestro Corps War, and just how that buildup effected it when the storyline finally started.
Agreed.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The NYCC's GL panel was held yesterday and the summary has been posted.

A lot has already been said, but it's still interesting to see what Johns, Tomasi, Bedard, and Milligan have planned for the next year.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Big developments in GL# 3 last week.
Spoiler
The Guardians have deemed the GLC, like the Manhunters, a failure. They are now setting out to create a 'Third Army'. DC's blog has also confirmed that this will serve as the catalyst for the next GL crossover event down the road.

On one hand, I'm kinda annoyed, since the Alpha Lanterns were a Third Army -- and we're already coming off of WOTGL. Do we really need another crossover?

At the same time, this should bring the simmering discontent in the GLC to a boil. The Lanterns have already lost their trust in the Guardians; if they're forcibly retired, it could land the Corps into the civil war I've been predicting since the end of SCW.