The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Molyneux »

I must say that I find the two of them together to be more and more adorable, the more of it I see. They just work well as a couple.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I'm just waiting for haley's dad to demand compensation from Elan....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Heh. Endless source of self-reference. Indeed.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Tarquin is squared away.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Crazedwraith wrote:0766

Heh. Endless source of self-reference. Indeed.
*We do not have surprise inspections. Ever

I love the employee handbook

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*giggles maniacally* Tarquin has every angle covered, doesn't he?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Looks like Tarquin reads the Evil Overlord List.
The Yosemite Bear

in this universe he probably wrote it, hell he definatly has a copy of the prince....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Of course Elan is too Good to realize that the right answer in an Evil society to "Why are you sneaking around the grounds at night" is "Because I felt like it. If you have a problem with that you can take it up with my father."
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I'm surprised that the guards weren't more sloppy, if they don't have any surprise inspections.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Molyneux wrote:I'm surprised that the guards weren't more sloppy, if they don't have any surprise inspections.
Just because there are no surprise inspections doesn't mean they can't be announced on short notice. It would be hard to cover up weeks of slacking with only 15 minutes warning, depending on the job.

Still, after the palace battle, I'm surprised they didn't just slaughter the guards and move on. I think the OotS characters can pretty much ignore anyone who doesn't have a double digit level at this point.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darmalus wrote:
Molyneux wrote:I'm surprised that the guards weren't more sloppy, if they don't have any surprise inspections.
Just because there are no surprise inspections doesn't mean they can't be announced on short notice. It would be hard to cover up weeks of slacking with only 15 minutes warning, depending on the job.
Or Tarquin just has them spied on for evaluation without any announcement that there's an inspection at all.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Darmalus wrote:
Or Tarquin just has them spied on for evaluation without any announcement that there's an inspection at all.
Sneaky...of course, that leaves the question of what happens to someone who gets caught spying, but then again any spy who gets caught obviously isn't cut out for Tarquin's spy corps anyway.
The Yosemite Bear

suprise inspections were replaced with constant scrying and familiars, etc...

Soldier of Entropy
Padawan Learner

Post by Soldier of Entropy »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Of course Elan is too Good to realize that the right answer in an Evil society to "Why are you sneaking around the grounds at night" is "Because I felt like it. If you have a problem with that you can take it up with my father."
Wouldn't have done any good; that's another cliche. There's probably something like 'If someone tells you to take it up with me if I have a problem with what they're doing, do so. You will not be reprimanded, as any inconvenience this may cause would be far outweighed by the risks of an infiltrator using it to gain access to a restricted area," in there.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Soldier of Entropy wrote:
Scottish Ninja wrote:Of course Elan is too Good to realize that the right answer in an Evil society to "Why are you sneaking around the grounds at night" is "Because I felt like it. If you have a problem with that you can take it up with my father."
Wouldn't have done any good; that's another cliche. There's probably something like 'If someone tells you to take it up with me if I have a problem with what they're doing, do so. You will not be reprimanded, as any inconvenience this may cause would be far outweighed by the risks of an infiltrator using it to gain access to a restricted area," in there.
Better reply: Looking for a place to have kinky sex with my hot red-head girlfriend.

It's not likely to get them in, BUT, it's also not as likely to get them chased.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Yosemite Bear

yeah, can we barrow the dungeon and the torture chamber for the next couple of hours.

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Tarquin seems to have much in the way of genre alertness. :) He's hilarious.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Update

Oddly this most reminds me of a social biased player in an Exalted game, I once took part in. He started off a slave and after a couple of sessions ended up in charge of the entire town, virtually by just walking into the town hall and declaring it was so.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Crazedwraith wrote:Update

Oddly this most reminds me of a social biased player in an Exalted game, I once took part in. He started off a slave and after a couple of sessions ended up in charge of the entire town, virtually by just walking into the town hall and declaring it was so.
Well, that's glibness for you - one of THE most broken spells ever.
Well, unless the GM is strict on the rules - and we all know that's not the case for the OotS :P
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And she gets to outright lie to Elan and not feel guilty about it. :lol:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:And she gets to outright lie to Elan and not feel guilty about it. :lol:
I don't know about the "not feel guilty" part - the potion just makes her better at lying. She's still lying to him even if he'll never realize it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Either way, it's Epic Level Social Engineering :lol:

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Question for those more familiar with D&D specifics what's with the labelling "philter potion of Glibness" Is it some kind of edition joke? Or is the potion not what Elan thinks it is?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Edition joke.

All drinkable liquids are now potions in 3E and later.

Originally, the magic item was a 'Philter of Glibness'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.