The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Mr Bean »

Terralthra wrote:[

I'm assuming no such thing. You helpfully deleted the part of my post where I said "somehow related to a black dragon" and substituted "half-dragon", then kindly argued with that strawman by saying that he could just be "somehow related."

Brilliant! Assuming your goal was to look like a fucking idiot, anyway.

At any rate, that doesn't address my other question, which was the odds that everyone else in his band of guards for the gate were all related to him? He hired his own grandson or second cousin's grandnephew as a waiter at his isolated castle? Really?
Did your parents leave this out of your education?

Okay time for a talk Terra, why don't you sit down and I'll tell you a little story about the dragons and the commoners.
You see when a Dragon loves.. well pretty much anything very much and that other thing loves/is raped by the dragon we get what's called a half dragon. This Half dragon is half dragon and the other non dragon part could be anything but the blood tells. However after a generator or two the dragon blood begins to lessen, to become more dilute until something that is "directly related" yet "human" or whatever.

Which is the point you seem to miss but I can understand seeing as how it's obvious your parents never sat you down and gave you the topic of Ancestor Dragons.

*Edit
Let me repeat this again to be clear.

Drakentooth is Human with a capital H meaning he has between eight to fourteen generations where some spawn of a black dragon could have gotten with any of his distant ancestors and done the inter species tango resulting in today where a known paranoid illusionist and his guards which are recruited from among his distant family are all together in the big family temple when the big FU goes down and all die via epic accident.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Your ability to be a patronizing fucktard in no way excuses your blatant dishonesty.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

842 is up.

Well, I guess that answers that.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

New one

So all in the family, eh?

Edit:ninja'd.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

V... I think I love you. The next few pages are gonna be great!

Edit: Considering the number of bugs I've seen slam full speed into walls, I doubt invisibility would stop them. But maybe beetles are more cautious than the average bug.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Spekio wrote:Edit:ninja'd.
"ninja'd"? The board software tells you when someone else has made a post inbetween when you started writing one and actually started to post.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Terralthra wrote:Your ability to be a patronizing fucktard in no way excuses your blatant dishonesty.
As of 842
My Ability to be FUCKING CORRECT is just a bonus on top of my amazing ability to being a patronizing fucktard.
Now the question is will you admit that you were incorrect and eat some crow or are you going to run away and try to forget all about the mean man on the internet who did not agree with everything you said because he was right and you were wrong.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I would not want to be the woman who's the ancestor of them all. Yikes.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

That your theory was right and I was wrong in no way obviates that you were dishonest. Nice that you expect me to acknowledge that I was wrong (and I was) while still not admitting to your own blatant dishonesty. Hypocrisy much?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Oh boy, is V going to be blaming herself again.

Do you think she will tell the others?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

When she flips out over the fact that she's responsible and they try to calm her down, maybe.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Terralthra wrote:That your theory was right and I was wrong in no way obviates that you were dishonest. Nice that you expect me to acknowledge that I was wrong (and I was) while still not admitting to your own blatant dishonesty. Hypocrisy much?
I was dishonest by quoting your own words? Yes that was particularly sneaky of me to take your words and repeat them back at you.

Like I'm about to do now
Terralthra wrote:Assuming Draketooth is somehow related to a black dragon. Is there any evidence of this?

Also, even assuming that fairly astronomical coincidence...what further are the odds that everyone in his entire band is related to him, too?
What were the odds? 100% that I was right in literally every single way and you were wrong... in every single way.

Look at 842, Draketooth's dad was a half dragon and the defenders of the gate were all close family members of his who were also illusionists.
In every single way the theory was correct, admit it. I answered every single one of your questions with an example and you accused me of Straw manning you because I only quoted the second sentence of your post... Never mind it did not change anything.

Concede and move on, or keep pushing the issue and end up in the history books.
OAN, I'd like to take this time to state that this theory was not of my own crafting but came up with first on the OOTS forums and transferred here by Lord of the Abyss. While I can't take credit for inventing the theory I can take some small part in fleshing it out before 842 proved it correct as we got a punch of dead Drakentooths and a no-shit captain obvious level family tree on the wall by the door leading back to a black dragon who we even saw get killed on panel in 639 (Maybe everybody knows all Black Dragons look alike)

*Edit
As far as telling the others it would play more interesting story wise to admit it considering The Liner Guild and everyone's favorite Lich are inbound to the gate. But it might not be next panel that we V admitting the entire thing.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Bean, are you seriously blaming him for not having read the strip before it was published? :wtf: At the time the argument was made, there was no evidence for either position, and you had just cut out half his post and then said he assumed Girard Draketooth had to be a half-dragon for the familicide to work, when he did no such thing.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Rogue 9 wrote:Bean, are you seriously blaming him for not having read the strip before it was published? :wtf: At the time the argument was made, there was no evidence for either position, and you had just cut out half his post and then said he assumed Girard Draketooth had to be a half-dragon for the familicide to work, when he did no such thing.
You misread Rogue, I used half-dragon as an example, this line in that same post is key
The Dragon that was the focus for the Familicide was over seven hundred years old had sisters and brothers of similar ages and who were much more prolific breeders than she was. She had one kid, they had more and those kids had kids and so on. The direct line ancestor can be pretty far back up the Drakentooth lineage.

We found out the direct line ancestor from human to dragon was two generations, Drakentooth had a granddragon in his direct ancestors (Making him a quarter dragon :lol:). My point is and remains and as is proven by Drakentooth's dead family is that once you are talking about Dragons who lives thousands of years shacking up with humans who live less than a hundred all it takes is one half dragon to start making large portions of an area's population having a direct line ancestor. Remember the famous Gengis Khan example? That's one human over nine hundred years ago (Similar time-frame) who has 16 million plus people directly related to him. Over a Dragon's time-frame even a three or four hundred year old dragon can have a few hundred to a few thousand descendants, add twenty more generations and your talking about war sized death counts.

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

If there's anything I take away from the discussions, its that theres no pleasing everyone. "OMG it's too obvious, everything fits!" versus "OMG it's too implausible, it's an ass pull!".
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On some level I'm disappointed because this was, well... predictable. Also because Rich seems to have gone out of his way to go "take that!" to all the alternate explanations, although it's logical that Roy would think through them all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So... What's next? We find out Girard isn't as dead as the rest and just finished looking for who exactly offed his family? That he is just as dead and Team Evil comes waltzing in instead? Tarquin & Co make their move? Cut to Team Azure and their Gate?

Also, I expected Girard to have a dragon in his family, but a copper one. Meh. Pity, wanted to see some of the things epic illusionist can come up with.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Simon_Jester wrote:On some level I'm disappointed because this was, well... predictable. Also because Rich seems to have gone out of his way to go "take that!" to all the alternate explanations, although it's logical that Roy would think through them all.
Lord help us if he didn't do that. Can you imagine the reams of pages we'd get trying to explain the beetles and the smell etc if Rich didn't work the explanation into the story. For every one or two people who figured it out in 841's thread there were many more who didn't consider that there even could be a logical counter-explanation (or dismissed it because it hadn't been explained yet). We'd end up again with that plot hole thread where someone invoked all manner of irrelevant things as plot holes even though there are perfectly reasonable explanations that were simply kept off-screen.

Even now we have people saying "but it might still be an illusion!".
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Irbis wrote:So... What's next? We find out Girard isn't as dead as the rest and just finished looking for who exactly offed his family?
Well, it looks like his picture in the family tree has some kind of halo. Maybe he's been dead for some time. Maybe he's been in some kind of spirit/undead form for years and wasn't personally affected by Familicide since he was already dead, and the Order & everyone else is going to run into an extremely angry dead epic illusionist. To quote V, "My ghost shall be both angry and vengeful, and will retain all my spellcasting powers."
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I've seen people suggest that the statue in the front hall (depicted in #841) is in fact Girard himself, perhaps petrified to survive over a longer period of time and to be able to intervene in case of an emergency like Soon Kim with his ghost martyrs. He might have survived Familicide in that manner. Why can't I ever be able to come up with stuff like that?
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Simon_Jester wrote:On some level I'm disappointed because this was, well... predictable. Also because Rich seems to have gone out of his way to go "take that!" to all the alternate explanations, although it's logical that Roy would think through them all.
I don't think that's particularly fair, though-it didn't become predictable until #840, one strip ago. Nobody saw it coming before that-is it really predictable if it doesn't become predictable until one page before-hand? Before the Draketooths were all dead, nobody was out there suggesting that Familicide had killed them all.

I'm actually really impressed at how well set-up this was, particularly with Penelope's death (not that that kind of quality is surprising at this point).
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I admit, I didn't see that coming at all. Brownie points to everyone who called it.

Unless the whole thing is some sort of illusion designed to expose hidden fears/crimes and test character. I'm not prepared to accept anything at face value until this arc ends.

Next question. If Girard's family is dead and has been since familicide, who precisely was scrying on the site of Girard's trap earlier?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Ahriman238 wrote:I admit, I didn't see that coming at all. Brownie points to everyone who called it.

Unless the whole thing is some sort of illusion designed to expose hidden fears/crimes and test character. I'm not prepared to accept anything at face value until this arc ends.

Next question. If Girard's family is dead and has been since familicide, who precisely was scrying on the site of Girard's trap earlier?
Zzdtri
I do know how to spell
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I must give kudos to those of you with mad predicting skills. You ALMOST had me convinced...but then I said, "nah." Well you nailed it!
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

I am wondering how the rest of the Team, especially Roy, would react to the reality that Vaasuvius had not only screwed their chances at directly finding the other gates, chances of defending this gate from two incredibly dangerous groups of villains trying to claim it, but also having committed an unspeakably horrific atrocity? 1/4 of the black dragon race, the entire Drakentooth family, down to the men, women and children.

Haley and Elan may, and I say may, forgive V. Belkar would be impressed to no end, but Durkon and Roy are definitely not going to forgive Vaarsuvius once they found out. V did this by hir own free will too - the IFCC had clearly stated that the Uber-splice spell thing does not affect hir alignment in any way. This is going to be a major source of conflict in the team all the way to the end of the entire saga. Did I mention already how horrific this actually is?

How can V possibly redeem hirself from that?

By the way, what's the chance that Tiamat the evil five headed dragon goddess herself would come screaming for blood at some point in the story?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.