The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mayabird
Storytime!

The OotS Thread II

Post by Mayabird »

Starting a new thread.

Link to old one is here if anyone needs it.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, who are the parade announcers announcing to? They don't have TVs, so what's going on?
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

I...didn't think of that. They're even holding what look like microphones. The Crystal Ball Network?
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Well considering that Xykon and Redcloak used to watch apparently commercial 'TV' on their scrying device (was it a crystal ball? I can't remember) and that they could get a TiVo-analogue from a store, I'd say that there is a TeleVision as in far-seeing) network, maybe using rune-based long-term versions of the clairvoyance spell, even if it is restricted to the wealthy/powerful/magically inclined.

Hell, I bet there's even ways to pirate it, if you know the right spells.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

RecklessPrudence wrote:Hell, I bet there's even ways to pirate it, if you know the right spells.
And OotS being OotS, the folks doing so are actual pirates.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I wonder if that makes it easier or harder for the pro-DRM people? I mean, if you're trying to convince people of how bad payCV* piracy is, and the people doing it are actual pirates, well....

On the one hand, they're frigging pirates! They're going to come and take all your womenfolk (those without levels in combat classes, at least) and worldly possesions, and somehow they have cannons when everybody else only has trebuchets! Plus, they have airships, so they could strike anywhere!
On the other hand, they're frigging pirates! That's so cool! I wonder if they fight proDRM ninjas? And somehow they have cannons when everybody else only has trebuchets! Imagine what other cool gear they've got! And they've got airships, they can go anywhere! No rules, no restrictions, man!

* - yes, I just made CV up as an acronym for ClairVoyance and analogue for TV. No, I don't care that that is an incredibly nerdy thing to do.

Heh, felt like I was channelling Shroomy there for a minute...
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Nah, you didn't write 'man' as 'mang.' But you'd best go see a cleric about possible possession, just to be safe...
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

They probably work for the Crystal Ball Sending News. We already know that gnomes get their news from a talking fox.

Hmm...

The Mentalist Tele(pathic)Vision (specializing in psychedelic visions made by psions)
The Bardic Broadcasting Center (Broadcasts quality programming on a budget with a fair amount of bardic knowledge checks used in their news)
The Sorcerer Fiction channel (programming with lots of flashy special effects and explosions but unfortunately not that many sorcerers invested in intelligence or knowledge checks).
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

RecklessPrudence wrote:Well considering that Xykon and Redcloak used to watch apparently commercial 'TV' on their scrying device (was it a crystal ball? I can't remember) and that they could get a TiVo-analogue from a store, I'd say that there is a TeleVision as in far-seeing) network, maybe using rune-based long-term versions of the clairvoyance spell, even if it is restricted to the wealthy/powerful/magically inclined.

Hell, I bet there's even ways to pirate it, if you know the right spells.
It was a crystal ball, with picture in picture, and in Spanish too:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html

He later upgraded to oval:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html

With TeeVo:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

I can easily imagine the Empire of Blood having big screen projections in every square, too. There's a spell for that, right?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Rossum wrote:The Mentalist Tele(pathic)Vision (specializing in psychedelic visions made by psions)
The Bardic Broadcasting Center (Broadcasts quality programming on a budget with a fair amount of bardic knowledge checks used in their news)
The Sorcerer Fiction channel (programming with lots of flashy special effects and explosions but unfortunately not that many sorcerers invested in intelligence or knowledge checks).
Continuing the theme...

Necromancer's Broadcasting Circle
Magicians, Sorcerer's & Necromancer's Broadcasting Circle
Cabalvision
Crystal Ball Service
Association of Broadcasting Conjurers
Illusionists Transmitting Visuals
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

#756 up!

Elan's reaction next strip should be interesting.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Dang, Elan's Dad sure knows how to be Lawful.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

1000:1 odds that now the Ambassador has to marry Elan's dad to protect the lives of the citizens of her formerly independent city.

Hail Tarquin! Now THAT's Lawful Evil.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ok, come Elan, you'd need pretty epic blinkers for this one...
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

#757 up already; Something Blue.

Tarquin is definitely Evil as well as Lawful, that's for sure.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Godsdamn it Elan! This is beyond stupid. At least he admits it himself but still...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

New OotS up.

Take a look at that last panel. 'Red' If that's Haley's dad, I totally called it.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Crazedwraith wrote:New OotS up.

Take a look at that last panel. 'Red' If that's Haley's dad, I totally called it.
Well, no smiley points for you - it's just too obvious.
Alright, alright, you get ONE smiley :) . Happy now? :wink: (oops, that's two).

I wonder what Elan will do about it, because he obviously got it by now.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Serafina wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:New OotS up.

Well, no smiley points for you - it's just too obvious.
Well of courses it's obvious. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to call it :wink:

Some other cool stuff there; Tarquin thinks Elan's the leader of his group, this coupled with the comments on Elan acting childishly for him makes me think he's highly over estimating Elan here.

Also the the empires of are blood, sweat and tears. Also Tarquin adventures with a catgirl. I didn't know D&D had catgirls...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, D&D has humanoid cats. They're more of a fringe race for players, but they can be PCs.

On the comic, that's just a WWI situation waiting to happen.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

my gods... 11 countries in 8months, and 26 nations to beat him. That alone is badass. Then you get into the sheer evil genius of the 'two man con' Tarq is now running, and all I can do is be awed by the man.

Nale and Elan have nothing on their old man.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

LadyTevar wrote:my gods... 11 countries in 8months, and 26 nations to beat him. That alone is badass. Then you get into the sheer evil genius of the 'two man con' Tarq is now running, and all I can do is be awed by the man.

Nale and Elan have nothing on their old man.
He's quite the Xanatos, I have to admit. The sort of person you lock up and pray never gets out, like Napoleon.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Edit:

According to this comic if they just annexed the Free City of Doom, then that means the Empires of Blood, Sweat, and Tears now dominate about 2/3rds of the nations on the continent.

Edit 2: It occurs to me that Tarquin is a master-planner who can't be a 'man of the people'. Elan, however, is a bright and shiny 'young hero'. What if Tarq decides that Elan could rule the western continent?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Crazedwraith wrote: Some other cool stuff there; Tarquin thinks Elan's the leader of his group, this coupled with the comments on Elan acting childishly for him makes me think he's highly over estimating Elan here.
I suspect that would be "buttering him up" before (as Chewie suggested) encouraging him to go rule a continent. This, of course, would put him exactly where Tarquin would want him: a trusted lieutenant son in charge but easy to set up as the fall guy and remove if Elan gets any ideas.