new dungeons and dragons movie 11/24 scifi

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

new dungeons and dragons movie 11/24 scifi

Post by dragon »

Book of Vile Darkness, yes it on dvd but this way you can watch it free.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: new dungeons and dragons movie 11/24 scifi

Post by Batman »

Um-no I can't, what with you not actually providing a link?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
dragon
Sith Marauder

Re: new dungeons and dragons movie 11/24 syfy

Post by dragon »

Batman wrote:Um-no I can't, what with you not actually providing a link?
link what do you need a link for it's on a thing called television. But here you go

09:00 PM

Syfy Original Movie

Dungeons & Dragons: The Book Of Vile Darkness
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Because naturally, everybody on this planet not only lives in the US but can watch SyFy.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Batman wrote:Because naturally, everybody on this planet not only lives in the US but can watch SyFy.

Oh yeah true, oops. Sorry my bad
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

You know after spending almost 15 years abroad in various places seems like I would remember that little detail
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

You guys mean this movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpl-xY9KmE

Because if its this one, its also free. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

mr friendly guy wrote:You guys mean this movie?

Yup

Interesting a Knight of Pelor adventuring with thieves and assassins.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

dragon wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:You guys mean this movie?

Yup

Interesting a Knight of Pelor adventuring with thieves and assassins.
There is a reason that Pelor is referred to as the burning god of hate.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

First one was awful, second one was enjoyable, it will be interesting to see what the third one is like.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Grumman wrote:First one was awful, second one was enjoyable, it will be interesting to see what the third one is like.
I think its actually the fourth, there was a third one, wrath of the Dragon god a few years ago, I picked up the blu ray a few days ago, havn't seen it yet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-Wrath of the Dragon God is the second movie? If there was one in between the original one and that, they've managed to hide it pretty well.
It's definitely a lot darker than the first two movies, and it's certainly a different tack from the 'band of heroes fights evil' meme used in them. I also found it harder to slot the party members into the traditional roles (you know, fighter, thief, wizard etc), though that may be because Wrath of the Dragon God all but hit us over the head with it. I'm not sure I'm willing to call it good yet, but it is not bad, and definitely not as bad as the first one (which admittedly takes some doing).
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Batman wrote:Um-Wrath of the Dragon God is the second movie? If there was one in between the original one and that, they've managed to hide it pretty well.
It's definitely a lot darker than the first two movies, and it's certainly a different tack from the 'band of heroes fights evil' meme used in them. I also found it harder to slot the party members into the traditional roles (you know, fighter, thief, wizard etc), though that may be because Wrath of the Dragon God all but hit us over the head with it. I'm not sure I'm willing to call it good yet, but it is not bad, and definitely not as bad as the first one (which admittedly takes some doing).
Very dark almost like a film of... vile darkness. :P

Watching now, can call one class right away. The apparent protagonist simply screams Paladin, and I think he would even if we didn't just see him get inducted into the Super Special Knights of the Shiny Things.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Except the Super Special Shiny Knights of the Shiny Things...weren't, anymore, and the guy'd have been rendered fallen 20 minutes in, but yes, defintely wannabe Paladin at least at the start. For the rest of the movie? Um-no. He did a ton of things a D&D Paladin can't do and remain a Paladin (ot at least was the way it worked last time I checked).
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

You can be an evil Paladin now, but you still have to stick with the code you start with.

The Super Special Shiny Knights of the Shiny Things had terrible saves. I saw casters, standing in the middle of melee fighters no more than 10 feet from any of them, and the Knights still lost.

I haven't seen him do anything terribly un-Paladin-y so far, except lie a few times (to bad people) and scoff at his god. I'm trying to decide whether turning down the Sorceress's offer of sex was paladin duty or self preservation, seeing as he's still wearing his Shiny Thing under that armor.

Serious geek-out moments at the Adventuer's shop and when we're told the baddies are recruiting in a tavern.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Batman wrote:Um-Wrath of the Dragon God is the second movie? If there was one in between the original one and that, they've managed to hide it pretty well.
After a bit of research it turns out you are entirely correct, I'd watched Wrath a year or so again but thought it was a different movie to the one I bought a fer days ago.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Huh, youtube pulled down the video. That was quick.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Not really. 'Quick' is them having pulled the video before I got to watch it.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Ahriman238 wrote: I'm trying to decide whether turning down the Sorceress's offer of sex was paladin duty or self preservation, seeing as he's still wearing his Shiny Thing under that armor..
Did you turn the TV off or something? Literally 30 seconds after he turns her down he ends up banging her anyway.

In any case, I actually found it to be a pretty enjoyable movie. Wrath of the Dragon God and the 1st D&D movie were, as has been pointed out, abjectly terrible. Dragon God was kinda fun to watch in the way that other terrible movies are, but was still just ... bad. This movie definitely had its moments of mediocre writing and acting, but overall I actually really enjoyed it. Enough nods to the D&D universe to be recognizable, yet didn't seem to unnecessarily constrain itself based on game mechanics. (In Dragon God, you half expected HP to appear on the screen during the fights). The climax/ending was a little lame, it was predictably cliche and oddly quite rushed. Maybe not quite an objectively "good" film, but a hell of a lot closer than the other attempts (and most other SyFy movies in general).

EDIT: Also, the special effects were not that bad. The dragon was probably the worst of them, but usually SyFy movies tend to have absolute bottom of the barrel CGI. This actually looked like they made an attempt to integrate the FX with the actors, and it was passable.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The effects weren't bad. Better than some B grade sword and sorcery movies.

I agree though that the ending was rushed, where the good artefact easily defeats the bad guys. Keeping in mind that the Knights of Pelor used to have lots of them, so it seems like the power levels are grossly in favour of the good guys.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-no? 'It's the man that gives the amulet power, not the other way round'. In and of themseves, the amulets were nothing more than trinkets, and they made it pretty damn clear at the beginning of the movie that the Knights had fallen out of favour with Pelor. Whatshisname couldn't defeat the bad guys because of the amulet, the amulet could do it because whatshisname was the first true Knight of whatever they called themselves in centuries.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Batman wrote:Um-no? 'It's the man that gives the amulet power, not the other way round'. In and of themseves, the amulets were nothing more than trinkets, and they made it pretty damn clear at the beginning of the movie that the Knights had fallen out of favour with Pelor. Whatshisname couldn't defeat the bad guys because of the amulet, the amulet could do it because whatshisname was the first true Knight of whatever they called themselves in centuries.
I am aware of that. So I will rephrase it my statement to say the Knights of Pelor used to have plenty of functioning amulets with Knights who knew how to use them. With those numbers the heroes will have overwhelming advantage given one true Knight of Pelor could do so much damage.

It still however gives a sense that
a) The good will win, if they just have faith (ie not fall out of favour with their deity). Reminds me of a particularly boring fantasy story masquerading as religious text.
b) Good when they get their act together h is so grossly superior to evil its not much of a contest.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

'So much damage' being what, half a hundred (if that) guys in his immediate vicinity? Nice for your personal survival to be sure, but moderately useless when you're facing armies on a battlefield, and that's assuming all the olden knights who did have the favour of Pelor could have done that (which is somewhat contraindicated by the land being in the state it is in at the start of the movie-if they could have so easily have gotten rid of evil, you'd think that would have happened by the time of the movie. Curious. It actually seems the other way round).
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Er, the introduction explained why the land is like that. Evil lost and had to bribe some peasants to hide pieces of the book of vile darkness, while the Knights gradually lost the favour of Pelor ie "got lost in the light of their own glory" plus "as memory of Nagrul faded away so did the power of Pelor stones".

I was also under the impression the main villain was a powerful magic user and he gets killed in one blast. I would have thought this gave them quite an advantage.