The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Tiriol »

I'm mildly amused that Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is, as has already been noted in this thread, just about the nicest person currently active in the comic; and that his father, despite being a tyrant and apparently a rather feared man, is most in control of himself of all the Sparks and that he has brought some peace to Europa - peace that is now being hurriedly undermined by both the false Heterodyne Girl's followers and by Agatha herself. True, Agatha has some good reasons to be antagonistic towards the Baron, but so does he have good reasons to be antagonistic towards Agatha, as well.

All in all, I usually end up rooting for the Baron and especially for his son. I do wonder, though, if the Baron is still Spoiler
under the influence of the improved slaver wasp, or at least possibly unable to resist the Other's (or Agatha's) commands should either of them say something to him.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

We still don't know where she (Lucrezia) hid him (Klaus) after she poisoned him before marring Bill?

Then again, whose Gils mom?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Then again, whose Gils mom?
The Amazon queen? Why else would Klaus be worried about Zeetha being sent to kill Gil? How would she even know about Gil otherwise? How else would Klaus know about her? (who is she and where she's from, that is. He knows that she's in Europe from Bangladesh Dupree).

Zeetha is probably Gil's half-sister. :D
Lord of the Abyss wrote:Not enough data, I think. But I suspect she's going to blindside Gil, Agatha or both. Clearly they both buy into her imitation of a relatively harmless fool ( unless Gil thinks about how she ruthlessly shot a guy earlier ); but she's actually a casual killer who likes to play stupid. Agatha doesn't know Zola, and Gil is at least partly going on his impressions from the old days, when she was either less dangerous or he never saw her drop the mask. Or maybe she IS a Revenant now or something.
Zola was a grot before, always getting into trouble, and having Gil rescue her. One time he was too late. :D The fact that she disappeared, and her rather drastic personality change and increase in competence shows that she is not the same person anymore.

As to the whole Heterodyne plot, Gil has already deduced that it has been a while in the making. This is also confirmed by the fact that Zola disappeared a while ago. As such, it could not have been the doing of Robo-Other since she was not around to plan it. However, she might have done something to Revenant-Zola since her awakening but before she arrived to Mechanicsburg to improve her chances.

What is Robo-Other doing right now? No idea! But it probably has nothing to do with Mechanicsburg. Might be something as prosaic as making herself a new revenant army while everyone's attention is focused on the Heterodyne plot.

Also, it now looks like Agatha will have to take care of TWO wounded grots! Will she be able to do it? Tune in on Friday to find out! :D

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Yosemite Bear

Isn't that Agatha's old teacher?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Isn't that Agatha's old teacher?
The guy in the mech? Yup, that's Dr. Merlot, formerly of Transylvania Polygnostic University, currently a prisoner of Castle Heterodyne after the events of Volume 1. As you can see, it has done nothing to improve his attitude towards Agatha. :)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I like GG, but the misunderstanding upon misunderstanding between Gil and Agatha is getting annoying. Its not an episode of Three's Company, people!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Yosemite Bear

She's a Hetrodyne, the castle has ways of ensuring an heir....

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I suspect that the mech will be disabled or subverted by the helper mini-clanks.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Starglider wrote:Every few months I try to catch up on it, but somehow the characters are all too annoying and the story seems overcomplicated - or maybe just muddled, I suppose there isn't that much going on. The art style is nice, if busy.

The webcomic that we most need a thread on is Schlock Mercenary, or if you're restricting it to fantasy, Gunnerkrigg Court. :)
A good fantasy one would be Looking for Group
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
The Yosemite Bear

let's not forget:

Goblind
Exiern naughty boy colin
Atland

but then again this is a GG thread, so smack (yes, I collect webcomic links it keeps me from getting truely addicted to WoW or EVE

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:let's not forget:

Goblind
I like Goblins as well. Just to keep anyone from being blindsided though, it starts out as mostly humor and uncolored, and ends up colored and mostly serious ( and often dark, what with torture and such ).
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

I don't know. I've become increasingly annoyed with Goblins. It started out amusing (well, if you like D&D it is) and kind of descended into massive self-importance, especially in the latest arc. It's got it's moments, but the lack of updates and the ridiculous villain is kind of killing it for me.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Huh. I just realized that Merlot appears to be Sparking. Way back in vol. 1, he said he wasn't a Spark. Guess a few months in Castle Heterodyne was enough to force it out of him.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

New one is up. Its been a while since I read the old strips, is Gil an unmodified human ? First beating up a Jaeger and now this . . .
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
The Yosemite Bear

no he's a spark, mad scientists are made of sterner stuff. not to mention he's survived drinking Jaeger Brau without dying or turning into a Jaegarmonster. He now regnerates.

Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

And of course, there's that theory about the probable nationality of his mother.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:New one is up. Its been a while since I read the old strips, is Gil an unmodified human ? First beating up a Jaeger and now this . . .
Knowing his father, it's entirely possible that Gil has had some physical augmentations.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Yosemite Bear

not to mention as I pointed out, it's only been a few hours since he drank a whole "pint"* of Jaegar Bruw.

*guessing by the size of the Jaegar monster beer stine, were talking at least a quart or half gallon pint. It should give him augmented regeneration for a while, along with temporary enhancements to his adrenals. (enhanced strength and reduction of pain)

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Aaaaand we're back to Revenge of the Weasel Queen. With invading aliens!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

fgalkin wrote:Aaaaand we're back to Revenge of the Weasel Queen. With invading aliens!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
No no.. the Aliens are not allowed to Invade, because the Venerable Hive Fish likes the weekly broadcasts of "The Adventures of Agatha Heterodyne -- GIRL GENIUS!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Yes, but what happens when Agatha finally catches them and ends the Foglios' broadcasts? Alien-inspired Armaggedon, that's what :lol:

And this IS supposed to be the last chapter, you know. :wink:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Yosemite Bear

yes, but she was on board when they did Cinderella.

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

And Girl Genius has just won the 2009 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Yosemite Bear

Poor Schlock they beat him again.

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I just finished my archive crawl, and I am sorry I missed out on this for so long. I think my favorite thing is the Jagermonsters. How often do you see happy-go-lucky super soldiers?