The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Well well... Love does conquer all.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

We need to form some spark anthropologists to figure out how leathal these mating rituals get....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The mating rituals can't be TOO lethal... otherwise they'd all die out.

still, good to see the story is moving along.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I wasn't aware that shouting could improve one's medical condition (it does make limited sense though: Gil is getting his adrenaline up, which probably counteracts the disease's deadly symptom).

Oh, and now we see Other again. And it appears that the prisoners know who he is.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Zixinus wrote:I wasn't aware that shouting could improve one's medical condition (it does make limited sense though: Gil is getting his adrenaline up, which probably counteracts the disease's deadly symptom).
At this point the disease is cured - notice his skin tone, it's normal. What he's recovering from is being temporarily dead as part of the cure, and then the resurrection process being interrupted by the Other's sabotage.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Gil never actually had the disease, he was just exhibiting symptoms whilst he was hooked up to Agatha and Tarvek. When they all got disconnected he stopped showing symptoms, but was weak from his immune system having to do the job of three peoples.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My my my... Othar has a SISTER!

Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

It's nice to see Othar's reputation actually being proved by the criminals. Most of his 'good guy' status has come from stories, much like the Heterodyne boys, and we haven't really seen any of his actual work aside from bumbling antics in the presence of both Wulfenbachs and Agatha.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I wonder what his sister did to get sent here. Wulfenbach doesn't normally hand out punishments disproportionate to the crime.
The Yosemite Bear

possibly being his sister..;..

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... she can certainly take care of herself. Since Othar is a Spark, she would be one as well.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Othar is a Spark? And a Spark's siblings are automatically Sparks too? When did that happen? (Note: I'm not saying it DIDN'T, but it's something rather major that I DO think I would remember, my poor recollection of Girl Genius notwithstanding. If I'm wrong, just point me at the appropriate strip and laugh at me looking stupid).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Yosemite Bear

Spark apears to be an inheirented condition.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Inherited doesn't mean every one of your siblings will have it too.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Most of his 'good guy' status has come from stories,
Wait, what? Good gy? Doesn't he mercilessly exterminate sparks wherever he encounters them? I'd had him pegged as an anti-hero at best, an intolerant jerkass who happens to be right much of the time, like Captain Hammer or something.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

Well, that part hasn't really gotten out - Agatha was familiar with the stories, and yet seemed geniunely surprised when he decided she needed to die. And it's (probably) not like Othar goes out of his way to kill Sparks that aren't harming people; he seems to go after bad guys in general, and most of them are sparks, who he kills because of his intolerant ideology.

What this is confirming is more overall competence and skill than 'good guy'-ness; the fact that its not just a bunch of stories but that these guys actually got their asses kicked by Othar makes it clear that he's not just riding on some overestimated old stories.
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darth Smiley wrote:And it's (probably) not like Othar goes out of his way to kill Sparks that aren't harming people; he seems to go after bad guys in general, and most of them are sparks, who he kills because of his intolerant ideology.
Well, it seems logical that given the choice between Joe the ( fairly ) Harmless Tinkerer and Mad Bob, inventer of the Baby Fueled Clank, he'd go for Bob first. But on the other hand, the moment he learned that Agatha was a Spark, he set out to kill her on the spot. So Joe had better be pretty nimble or Othar will kill both of them.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Sinewmire wrote:
Most of his 'good guy' status has come from stories,
Wait, what? Good gy? Doesn't he mercilessly exterminate sparks wherever he encounters them? I'd had him pegged as an anti-hero at best, an intolerant jerkass who happens to be right much of the time, like Captain Hammer or something.
What you're talking about is the truth behind Othar, but the common folk believe that's he's a hero. There's a number of strips that suggest this.

It's why I compared him to the Heterodyne boys. Same kind of reputation.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Batman wrote:Othar is a Spark?
That's been clear from his introduction. That's why Klaus was experimenting on him, waaaay back when he was first seen.

He's a Spark on a one man mission to kill every other Spark in existence, and then himself.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It seems her sister is not free of certain kind of delusions either. Seriously? After all that, she's willing to go along with his big brother?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

What you're talking about is the truth behind Othar, but the common folk believe that's he's a hero. There's a number of strips that suggest this.

It's why I compared him to the Heterodyne boys. Same kind of reputation.
Ah, gotcha. You seemed to be suggesting you were looking for evidence of his goodness that had only been seen in stories. I misunderstood.
It seems her sister is not free of certain kind of delusions either. Seriously? After all that, she's willing to go along with his big brother?
Well... at least she'd have someone to talk to who didn't drool at the thought of delicious human flesh.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Vendetta wrote:
Batman wrote:Othar is a Spark?
That's been clear from his introduction. That's why Klaus was experimenting on him, waaaay back when he was first seen.

He's a Spark on a one man mission to kill every other Spark in existence, and then himself.
Oh, dear. It occurs to me to ask: does his (sparky) sister know that, too?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"... and after Venice sank...."

Ohyeah, she's a Spark.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

And apparently quite handy with a pickaxe.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

LadyTevar wrote:"... and after Venice sank...."

Ohyeah, she's a Spark.
Not really. She might be more Higgs- (or the pirate captain)-like. There is nothing that suggest she is a spark, for example her inability to fix the stuff the spark sold them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs