The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Oskuro »

Let's keep in mind that it took the castle dying to set her free. But then again, she knew Lucrezia personally, so I suspect her imprisonment has more to do with her, judging by Lucrezia's reaction to hearing the muse.

Regarding the previous discussion about Sparks being durable, I've been reading through the archives, and found interesting tidbits. Appart from the training all main characters have gone through, Gil has been infected with mostly everything to build his resistances, as well as his tolerance to poison, and there are many hints here and there about him being part Jäger or a construct (Mamma Gikka is suprised at how much the Baron knows of their secrets when using one of her devices to heal Gil). Although when the Baron recalls his return to Europa to Punch and Judy, he is carrying a baby on his back, so I guess whatever modification was done to him, he is still the Baron's son.
As for Agatha, when explaining the Dyne, the castle reveals that her ancestors drank from the weird waters and gained Jäger traits, thus it might be possible that she inherited those qualities, particularly since Jägers can smell she is a Heterodyne, implying her biochemistry is different from a regular Spark's.
unsigned
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

So the source of a Spark is biological in nature and thus we have a reason why they are more durable.

Of course, I imagine this would violate stuff like conservation of energy, various things about biology and what else. But hey, it's good fun.

What I wonder is whether the Dyne caused the existence of all other sparks as well, as there is clearly a connection: from what I gather from the hints, the Heterodynes (spelling?) were always considered powerful sparks. So what if by some absurd relation and early days of going around, all sparks essentially come from the Dyne?

Or if simply the Dyne's effects the Spark, amplifying its power?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

To be fair, we don't know that Sparks in general are durable, just that our main characters are. We know Gil, as the son of a very powerful Spark gets the bests treatments and mad-science enhancements, and we know that Agatha is getting to be a very well trained warrior.

I suspect Sparks are, as a general rule, more durable, but its not that having the Spark actually makes them more durable; just that being Sparks, they have ways of making themselves more durable through sufficient application of Mad Science.
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

We've also seen that Othar Tryggvassen (GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!!!) can survive (among other things) taking a spill from a high altitude and survive, though again he is probably far from typical among sparks.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I always wondered what his eye-glass thing is. Any guesses?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

Knowing Othar? Probably an Archetype-Meter. Lets him know who the villain is, who's a potential sidekick, who's an easily duped minion, etc.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Darth Smiley wrote:Knowing Othar? Probably an Archetype-Meter. Lets him know who the villain is, who's a potential sidekick, who's an easily duped minion, etc.
Could be, but I am doubtful. You don't need stuff like that to be that delusional.
Credo!
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

And now we get to see HIGGS SMASH! In a very calm, reluctant, and collected way. This guy needs to show up more often (but not too often, because that would spoil the magic).
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

This is going to be interesting. I got the impression that Higgs was just an ordinary guy...so whatever those Jagers gave him must be REALLY good.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

he can take on clanks, Bang, and the Baron all at the same time, in order to save the Baron from himself....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

Right, but it also broke every limb. He had his limbs broken by a GOOSE for Cthulhu's sake; and then he gets thrown into a Wall by clank and just shrugs it off?

No, he was enhanced by SOMETHING in there.
The Yosemite Bear

well we've already seen what the Dyne river has done to the local goose population Kvak anyone?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Higgs has to be my favorite minor character.

Tvtropes Badass Normal what?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
The Yosemite Bear

I also have been re-reading the muse's dialog, and getting a SHODAN vibe.....

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Enforcer Talen wrote:Higgs has to be my favorite minor character.

You know, i actually suspect he has sparky tendencies - with him being very good at mechanics and also quite tough.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Serafina wrote:
Enforcer Talen wrote:Higgs has to be my favorite minor character.

You know, i actually suspect he has sparky tendencies - with him being very good at mechanics and also quite tough.
Or he could be just on whatever Madam Ghika given him. Gil seems to have survived a lot on it.

He also could be a construct or some other experiment.
Credo!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Higgs does have several levels in "Dodge", until he gets distracted.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

New one up. That's...interesting.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

definitely more to Higgs than we've been led to believe.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

:shock: It all makes sense now. Higgs is BATMAN THOR the Higgs Boson one of the heterodyne boys. Or maybe just very old.

No, there's no logic behind this speculation. In fact he can't possibly be a heterodyne because the castle should have recognized him by now. He's probably related to Storm King.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Or he IS the Storm King.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Or he IS the Storm King.
Thats what I was going to say, that would make Travek one of this decendents wouldn't it?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Supposedly. Though I think being a descendant of the Storm King is like being a descendant of Genghis Khan. Though the Storm King has red hair in flashbacks.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I suspect that he is neither - i think he is merely a powerfull spark who hid from the Baron.
Why?
Well, a Heterodyne would propably do more than just hiding, and a descendant of the Storm King would propably have some allies.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Him being a random powerful spark doesn't explain the Castle knowing him.