The Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Girl Genius Thread

Post by Zixinus »

Probably a construct or a relative to the family. We know who the storm king is. I think.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually, I am rather dissapointed in this development. Can't we have at least one badass normal that comes from a humble family and just learned to do his job?

Odds will be that he is another undercover agent or construct or something.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Perhaps a descendant of van Rijn?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Oh, dear, real life intrudes; the colorist is in the hospital, and this comic is black and white. I hope that Ms. Wright gets better soon.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, it actually doesn't look that bad without the color.
But yes, let's hope ge gets better soon.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well GG started out B&W to begin with :D Though I too prefer it in colour.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They will be colored later, they promise.

I think we'll get to see Zeetha get physical with "the Harpy"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

How did she do that? I mean, seriously? The Harpy was looking at her the whole time!

Oh, and am I the only one that noticed that two women are being fought one after another?
Credo!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Zixinus wrote:How did she do that? I mean, seriously? The Harpy was looking at her the whole time!

Oh, and am I the only one that noticed that two women are being fought one after another?
You have never met a professional stage magician, have you?
Seriously, a focused attention is exactly what they need and want for their tricks.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm not exactly sure what happened. It might be because of the black and white. I don't see anything happening.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm not exactly sure what happened. It might be because of the black and white. I don't see anything happening.
Lucrezia is holding Dumedd and threatening to kill him if they don’t let her walk out. On the 5th panel she still has him when she belittles the Smoke Knights’ skills. But between that panel and the 7th panel, she’s managed to switch Dumedd with a straw dummy without Lucrezia eve noticing until it’s pointed out to her. You can see flesh and blood Dumedd behind the girls in the last panel, being understandably impressed.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Jade Owl wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm not exactly sure what happened. It might be because of the black and white. I don't see anything happening.
Lucrezia is holding Dumedd and threatening to kill him if they don’t let her walk out. On the 5th panel she still has him when she belittles the Smoke Knights’ skills. But between that panel and the 7th panel, she’s managed to switch Dumedd with a straw dummy without Lucrezia eve noticing until it’s pointed out to her. You can see flesh and blood Dumedd behind the girls in the last panel, being understandably impressed.
I had to look over the comic more than once myself to figure out what happened; definitely something that would have benefited from color.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Seriously, a focused attention is exactly what they need and want for their tricks.
I have, but the point of that partly is that it is staged, ergo they have time to prepare and assistants to do some of the work while the audience's attention is away.

She did it without preparation (how could she prepare for this?) and notable accomplices. Hence, wondering how she did it.
Credo!
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Zixinus wrote:

I have, but the point of that partly is that it is staged, ergo they have time to prepare and assistants to do some of the work while the audience's attention is away.

She did it without preparation (how could she prepare for this?) and notable accomplices. Hence, wondering how she did it.
Spark tech teleportation?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

New page is up. Still in black and white.

It seems Gil came to only to get in a little pain.
Spark tech teleportation?
More likely, I would a general-purpose pre-recorded image being projected while she ran up and did the switch. Which makes little sense, since the context of her spoken words are very context-specific and I doubt that she did anything like that just as she seen Lucrezia getting in control.

I draw it up to a plot-hole. Necessary and the author didn't want to drag things on anymore than necessary.
Credo!
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Plot hole? I see it as a humorous bit about how über-ninja the girl is. Girl Genius operates on Cartoon Logictm most of the time, I don't see why this act is so surprising.
unsigned
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Zixinus wrote:I draw it up to a plot-hole. Necessary and the author didn't want to drag things on anymore than necessary.
This entire chapter has felt like its been dragging on and on. The pacing seems to have seriously taken a backseat to large numbers of characters screwing around... and while I love Gil and Tarvek together, Agatha really hasn't done much with them other than muck around in her castle.

I guess they need to give the Baron time to recover.

Also, Othar (Gentleman Adventurer!) is also out there. I can't wait for him to show up.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

And the new one is up and back in color! The older ones haven't been colored yet though; I expect the colorist isn't exactly feeling chipper yet.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

I'm quickly losing my patience with and interest in this comic. It has dragged on for what seems like ages with this Castle Heterodyne plot. And now they've thrown a mad construct out of nowhere and Lucrezia back? I'm just bored, nothing more. A pity, since I liked the idea and previous execution.

And they are quickly spoiling Higgs's character. An everyday man who manages to survive the impossible is a far more interesting character than yet another one with mysterious past and mysterious powers in this case, but it seems to be the direction where the comic is headed right now.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

As far as I can remember, the comic has always moved at this pace.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Yeah, the pace can be a bit tiresome if you follow it on a daily basis. I feel the comic reads better if you come back after a month of two and gobble up a long set of pages. The standard webcomic daily update doesn't suit certain narrative styles well.
unsigned
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

LordOskuro wrote:Yeah, the pace can be a bit tiresome if you follow it on a daily basis. I feel the comic reads better if you come back after a month of two and gobble up a long set of pages. The standard webcomic daily update doesn't suit certain narrative styles well.
True for all webcomics with a storyline.
But Girl Genius is not that bad - i actually dislike it if the plot is cut short just because it takes too long with the update schedule. Because if you are actually reading it in a longer session, you really, really notice that it harms the story if that is done.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Why did the Proffessor swat Moloch? Do I understand correctly that Moloch just saved Gil's life by pulling the plug?
Credo!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Zixinus wrote:Why did the Proffessor swat Moloch? Do I understand correctly that Moloch just saved Gil's life by pulling the plug?
Moloch ruined the drammatic tension. Sparks are, to an extent, driven by narrative logic.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Why did the Proffessor swat Moloch? Do I understand correctly that Moloch just saved Gil's life by pulling the plug?
Moloch ruined the drammatic tension. Sparks are, to an extent, driven by narrative logic.
Plus, doing so by simply pulling a plug isn't cool. Like back here, where the Sparks are peeved at another straightforward solution being proposed instead of some mad-science one.
"No, no. You've already taken all of the joy out of it."