Does anybody remember this from Star Wars Legends or Canon?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Does anybody remember this from Star Wars Legends or Canon?

Post by Maximum7 »

Does anybody remember from Legends or Canon in a situation where a character downright stated or implied that something couldn’t be done scientifically? Here is a list of stuff I’ve gathered.

1.) Cybernetic liver- In Lost Stars, it was said Ciena’s liver could not be replaced as it was one of the few organs that couldn’t have a substitute. [Canon]

2.) Pill or injection to replace the need for water- This was mentioned in Tatooine Ghost by Han Solo [Legends]

3.) Wormholes- Said in the Han Solo comic that scientists couldn’t figure it out [Canon]

4.) Telescopes that can see people (beings) on exoplanets- This was mentioned by Prince Isolder in Tyrants Test [Legends]

5.) Matter transporter- Finn mentioned this didn’t exist when they need to escape in the Force Awakens novelization. [Canon]

6.) The Infinite Empire- Motti referred to it as (believe it or not) Science fiction [Legends]

7. Food assembler- This is from MedStar as part of a future fic holodrama about a device that could assemble a meal from basic ingredients. Really weird since they have Food synthesizers [Legends]

Time travel is possible- just rare.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Does anybody remember this from Star Wars Legends or Canon?

Post by Jub »

Do you exclusively use this forum as a sounding board for your, always oddly specific, questions about theoretical technology in fictional universes? I mean, it's far from the worst thing you can do but I cold browse the forum posts with user names and icons turned off and spot a Max7 post from a mile off.

As for your list:

How is anybody supposed to make a pill that can allow somebody to survive without water? How is that even supposed to work?

The telescopes thing is odd as it should be physically possible to build a lens that large (though it might literally require moving stars to make gravitational lenses) it's just not something you'd ever have a practical need for.

My final question is what's you purpose for even gathering this list?
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Have to agree. It's rather weird.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-02-26 11:38pm Have to agree. It's rather weird.
Very interested in speculative science or tech and boredom since I still haven’t found a new job yet :(
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Maximum7 wrote: 2020-02-26 11:40pmVery interested in speculative science or tech and boredom since I still haven’t found a new job yet :(
So why not go over to the SLAM section and ask for some links to articles about theoretical physics or some such?

Your current posts are literally asking nearly impossible questions because we don't have literal archives worth of papers on the latest breakthroughs in Star Wars materials science. The best we can say on that front is if something is broadly within demonstrated capabilities or not and that won't get you very far.

Your last list asking about lasers that don't effect biological targets also suggests that you might be lacking some knowledge needed to ask better questions, there's no shame in that but maybe check out a science channel on YouTube or try a free trial of Brilliant rather than asking way too broad questions here.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

How ironic would it be if he actually works for the Lucasfilm Story Group and this is part of his job?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-02-27 01:18am How ironic would it be if he actually works for the Lucasfilm Story Group and this is part of his job?
It would certainly explain some things...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

After all, who better to fact-check this sort of trivia and minutiae with than the very same fans who actually discuss it as a recreational activity? I've seen him do it on other forums too.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Maximum7 wrote: 2020-02-26 11:40pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-02-26 11:38pm Have to agree. It's rather weird.
Very interested in speculative science or tech and boredom since I still haven’t found a new job yet :(
We can’t answer these questions. We’ve told you this and yet you persist
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Dude, just get the books, comics, etc, and fucking read them, and take notes.

Or, go to Wookiepedia and look around.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I think we mostly have to assume that the authors and/or characters mentioned above don't know what they're talking about. We're testing artificial livers now, electrolyte tablets you can buy at your local CVS substantially reduce how much water you need, wormholes are implied by relativity equations, the barrier to making a stupid-high-resolution telescope is that it would be stupid rather than impossible, there were transporters in Legends and presumably will be again, Motti is explicitly wrong about the Rakatans, and OP mentions that food synthesizers do exist.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb