The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'd heard rumours to that effect, but not much detail. If true, its a baffling casting choice, as the likely outcome is that her casting simply adds fuel to the ongoing controversy, and Disney ends up backpeddling and firing her for the sake of their image.

Or they don't, and confirm that they care more about the complaints of Alt. Reichists (see minimizing of Rose) than about those of the trans community.

Either way, they've just set themselves up for a PR shit show.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Strangely enough, she starred in the 2005 film version of RENT, which depicts gays and transgender persons in a positive light. Not to mention her work with PFLAG; Dawson did a poster and public service ad campaign for PFLAG where she is featured with her uncle, Frank Jump.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-21 10:27pmI'd heard rumours to that effect, but not much detail. If true, its a baffling casting choice, as the likely outcome is that her casting simply adds fuel to the ongoing controversy, and Disney ends up backpeddling and firing her for the sake of their image.
Or they learned their lesson from the James Gunn fiasco.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2020-03-28 08:57pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-21 10:27pmI'd heard rumours to that effect, but not much detail. If true, its a baffling casting choice, as the likely outcome is that her casting simply adds fuel to the ongoing controversy, and Disney ends up backpeddling and firing her for the sake of their image.
Or they learned their lesson from the James Gunn fiasco.
Rather different cases here, as IIRC the James Gunn firing was over some inappropriate comments he made years ago which the Alt. Reich used as bait, and he was an established part of the MCU who had the support of the stars who worked with him, while Dawson's case involves ongoing litigation and she's a newcomer to the franchise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So, there's a new rumor that they're talking of bringing LiveAction Captain Rex to Mandalorian.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Cool. Nice to see the Clone Wars/Rebels cast making their way more to live action.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-03-31 11:26pm So, there's a new rumor that they're talking of bringing LiveAction Captain Rex to Mandalorian.
If that is the case, cudos to them. Have no idea who they can cast.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Why not go back to the source? He's like 60.

I think it would work with a beard. Though I thinks Dee Bradley Baker deserves a cameo.

Though after I fan girl, ration kicks in. The Mandalorian is like 5 years post ROTJ? That's like 30 years post clone wars. That makes Rex about 35 years or about 70 clone years old.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Knife wrote: 2020-04-02 09:04pm Why not go back to the source? He's like 60.

[img]https://i1.wp.com/splashreport.com/wp-c ... %2C349[img]

I think it would work with a beard. Though I thinks Dee Bradley Baker deserves a cameo.

Though after I fan girl, ration kicks in. The Mandalorian is like 5 years post ROTJ? That's like 30 years post clone wars. That makes Rex about 35 years or about 70 clone years old.
A touch more makeup, and it'd work well. He was my one and only choice as well.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

It would be insanely cool to see Clone Wars vets in-universe.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Season two has started, and "The Marshal" was a fantastic return to action.
So many Easter Eggs! A change of attitude towards Droids! Someone fixed that broken actuator! More Western Vibes, and very familiar armor, very dinged.
My brother and I had a dispute over if it was a "sand shark" or a Krayt Dragon. I won. He was thinking of the Krayt Dragons in the Video Games, which were not as massive and didn't sand-swim like a Graboid. But it explains just WHY Sand People are scared of even HEARING one.
More fun from the vid-games with the "doggies" (Ferrizad Hounds?) and finally we see a WompRat. There was some discussion over whether or not The Child could eat one whole.
"It lives in an empty Sarrlac pit" "There's no such thing!" "Is if they eat the Sarrlac."
Yes, Krayt Dragons are nasty and hard to kill, but their bellies are weaker. Holy fuckin' hell that thing is HUGE!! And it ignored the Bantha for the Sand Person. BTW: Still wondering how Mando knows their sign language/use-words that go with the sign language.
Nice story of how the armor was won, and IMHO he did it better justice than Boba, using to keep the Mos safe. Good thing he got more missiles for it too.

Yes BALLISTAE! And explosives! Great plan! Almost didn't work... ok, it didn't work. Belly wasn't as weak as thought. YAY! Jetpacks work, and again, I'm impressed at the Marshal's knowledge of how to use it. Missile works again. HEY! That's the second time someone hit that jetpack like that!
uhhh.. was he supposed to be swallowed? OH! Yes, electrocute it to get it to spit you out. ooooooo NICE concussion wave as it blew.
Did The Child lick that slab of meat? And Krayt Pearls are THAT BIG? Or just that big when it's that big a monster?
"Tell your people I didn't break it"

And well well well, looks like it wasn't Captain Rex they were bringing to the story. Somehow I doubt we're done on Tattooine

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Where did they get the wood ?

I'm looking forward to hearing how Boba lost his armor.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-we already know? He got eaten by the Sarlacc?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2020-10-31 12:03am Um-we already know? He got eaten by the Sarlacc?
He went into the Sarlacc with his armor on. So I'd expect him to come out also wearing it.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-10-31 12:06am
Batman wrote: 2020-10-31 12:03am Um-we already know? He got eaten by the Sarlacc?
He went into the Sarlacc with his armor on. So I'd expect him to come out also wearing it.
I thought the multi decade old cannon was he goes in wearing it, and comes out wearing it as a acid damaged set of ribbons afterwards
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As someone who never got into the EU or animated series (because life keeps me otherwise occupied) I am VERY glad that the story is still accessible, fun, and enjoyable to someone who isn't in on all the Easter eggs and references. That's a sign of very good writing, that everyone enjoys the ride.

I binged the first season in a day and a half when my sister gave me access to her Disney+ account, and eagerly await the rest of this season.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-10-31 10:07am
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-10-31 12:06am He went into the Sarlacc with his armor on. So I'd expect him to come out also wearing it.
I thought the multi decade old cannon was he goes in wearing it, and comes out wearing it as a acid damaged set of ribbons afterwards
There was a story where Dengar (the other bounty hunter) got him out of the Sarrlac pit, and Fett stripped off the armor and left it laying in the sand. He was then shown in another panel as wrapped in bandages, being treated for the acid burns.
If he'd left the armor behind, the Javas found it, scavenged it, and sold it. Have to admit, Cobb put it to good use, keeping the Mos safe.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FWIW, the flashback in the show doesn't quite match up with the events depicted in Tatooine interlude of the first Aftermath novel:

Spoiler
Jawas stink.

That’s something Adwin Charu didn’t expect. Most of this planet has that hot sand scent to it—like the inside of his mother’s clay oven before she put dough into it. Like everything’s baking. But soon as he stepped inside this sandcrawler, the odor hit him like a fist. A musky, animal smell. And suddenly he’s forced to wonder if each Jawa is just a fraternity of wet rats gathering together under brown robes and a black face veil.

They hiss and jabber at him. And he tells them again, like he’s been telling them for the last half hour: “I don’t want any of this. This—” He sweeps his arms in a broad gesture, indicating the dimly lit heaps of junk all around him. “—is all worthless to me and my company. I need to see the real goods.” He enunciates words like he’s speaking to someone hard of hearing. As if it’s doing any good at all—these stubborn little stink monsters don’t seem to hear him, or understand him, or maybe they just don’t care. But he knows the stories: They sell the dross to the rubes, but every sandcrawler has a real collection, too. Valuable goods to those in the know.

Adwin has a job here. And it’s not to come back to his boss with an armload of malfunctioning garbage.

The Jawas click and whisper.

“I need droids, weapons, mining tools. I know these sandcrawlers are old mining vehicles. You stole them. Least you could do is—”

From behind him, someone clears his throat.

Adwin glances back, sees a man standing there. Angular fellow. Leathery skin. Pinched eyes. Amused smile.

“Ahoy there,” the man says.

“Uh-huh,” Adwin answers. “Fine. If you’ll excuse me?” Irritated, he adds: “I hope to be done here soon, provided these things comply.”

“You’re not from around here, are you?” the man says, still grinning like he knows something. He steps in out of the bright desert sun, brushes some dust off his long jacket. “Not a local.”

“No. How did you know?”

The man chuckles: a rheumy, growly laugh. “You’re too clean, for starters. Spend some time here, you get dust all up in your fingernails and nose hairs. Sand in your boots. But the other thing is, you gotta know how to handle the Jawas. These little scavengers, they work on rapport. You buy something now, something small, then you come back and then you buy bigger. And eventually, after a dozen or so visits, you start to see what they really have on offer. The real goods.”

Adwin scowls. He doesn’t have the patience for this. “I don’t have the luxury of time. My boss won’t allow it.” He sighs. This is worthless, then. “I suppose I’ll have to take my chances in…what’s that town? Behind us?”

“Mos Pelgo,” the man says.

“Yes. Well. There or Espa, I suppose.” Adwin sighs. He begins to push past the man. The man extends the flat of his hand—he doesn’t touch Adwin, but does block his way out.

“Now, hold on, friend. I happen to have the rapport you need with these little fellas. I’d be happy to vouch for you.”

Adwin narrows his eyes. “You would?”

“Sure thing.”

“And why would you do that?” He squints harder, suspicion twisting his face into an uncertain sneer. “What’s the price?”

The man laughs again. “No price, no price. Just hospitality.”

This planet: back-end water-farming bumpkins. Fine. Adwin can use that. He’s comfortable exploiting the naïveté of others. “Yes. Yes. That would be excellent. Thank you—ahh? Your name?”

“Cobb Vanth.”

“Mister Vanth—”

“Cobb, please.”

“Ah. Cobb. Shall we, then?”

The man steps forward, scratching at his stubbled face. He starts talking to the Jawas. They gabble at him in their rat-tongue and he says, “Uh-huh, no, I know, but I come bearing credits and so does he.” Cobb turns to Adwin and gives a wink. The Jawas whisper and babble. “Okay, then.

“Come on,” Cobb says, and they follow a pair of the little hooded weirdos to another door in the back next to an upside-down gonk droid. The door hisses open, then shuts again behind them. Lights click on. Brighter here than in the other room. And sure enough: These are the goods.

A protocol droid. A pair of astromechs. A rack of weapons—Imperial-issue, by the looks of it. Against the far wall: a series of panels from what looks like a Hutt sail barge, plus a few other Huttese artifacts—some charred, others twisted. All of it, wreckage.

“Perfect, perfect, perfect,” Adwin says, clapping his hands. He immediately heads over to a shelf and starts looking through bins, boxes, wire crates. Cobb pokes around, too, though Adwin mostly loses track of him until Cobb says:

“You’re with that new mining company.”

Adwin turns. “Hm? Oh. Yes.”

“The Red Key Company, isn’t it?”

“That’s the one. How’d you know?”

“I have a way of sussing things out. I know that things are changing. Not just in the galaxy, but here at home, too. The Hutts still haven’t shaken out who’s next up to fill Jabba’s throne—if you can call that flat slab of his a throne. Seems like this might be a new day for Tatooine.”

“Yes, we certainly hope so,” Adwin idly responds, mostly ignoring the man’s small-talk prattle. He’s happy Cobb got him in here but now wishes the man would just leave him alone.

Adwin spies a large, long box on the floor. He whips off the ratty cloth that’s covering it and—

Oh, my.

From the box, he withdraws a helmet. Pitted and pocked, as if with some kind of acid. But still—he raps his knuckles on it. The Mandalorians knew how to make armor, didn’t they? “Look at this,” he says, holding it up. “Mandalorian battle armor. Whole box. Complete set, by the looks of it. Been through hell and back. I think my boss will appreciate this.”

“I actually think I might take that home with me,” Cobb says.

“I think not,” Adwin says, turning around, the helmet tucked under his arm. The blaster at his hip suddenly feels heavy, pendulous. Eager to be drawn. A strange sensation, that. Adwin feels like he’s really getting into the spirit of this planet. He’s never had to shoot a man before.

Maybe that day is today. An exhilarating feeling, oddly.

Cobb grins, crosses his arms. “What are you thinking, company man? See, I could really use that armor. I figure being a newly appointed lawman—”

“Self-appointed, I think,” Adwin says.

But Cobb doesn’t take the bait. “Being a lawman, I could use some protection against those corrupt types who might think to seize the opportunity here on my planet. That armor is mine.”

Adwin smirks. He takes his thumb and pulls back his tunic, revealing the blaster. “Cobb—”

“Sheriff Vance, to you.”

“Oh.” Adwin laughs. “Sheriff, I’d hate to have to draw this blaster—”

Cobb Vance’s hand is up in a flash—there’s the shriek from his own blaster, and it punches a cauterized hole clean through Adwin’s shoulder on his right side. His hand goes limp, lifeless. The helmet clatters out of his other hand. He backs against the shelf, terror-struck.

“You, you monster…”

Cobb shrugs. “Oh, now. I’m no monster. No worse than your boss, that Weequay dung-muncher, Lorgan Movellan. I know his scam. I know all the scams. Afraid the Republic is back and gonna put their boot down on all the lowlifes and scum-lickers, the syndicates are trying to find new ways to appear legit. And with the Hutts fighting one another for control, bunch of these little quote-unquote mining companies are swooping in with brutes like your boss at the helm. A new age of mining barons. Won’t fly. I’m here now. Me and others like me. Bringing the law to this lawless place. And that starts with me shooting you and taking that armor out from under you.”

Adwin whimpers. “Please don’t kill me.”

“Oh, I’m not. I’m leaving you alive so you can go tell your boss that he’d best pack up and hit the hyperspace lanes out of this sector, lest he wants me coming for him in my new—well, new to me—suit of armor.”

“I will,” Adwin says, sinking to the floor. He watches Cobb pick up the box of armor before heading to the door.

On his way out, Cobb says: “Next time you wanna pretend to be a gunfighter, best to shoot first, talk later. Bye now.”

Unless one of you can figure out a way to make them both fit.

And while I didn't particularly like Cobb's Firefly-esque manner of speaking (since when do Tatooinians talk like that?), at least it was consistent with his depiction in the novel.

Also, maybe I'm suffering from the Mandela Effect, but wasn't Boba Fett's armor retconned as being plain durasteel recently?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-10-31 06:00pm FWIW, the flashback in the show doesn't quite match up with the events depicted in Tatooine interlude of the first Aftermath novel:
So Cobb lied when telling his story.

Though the armor didn't look acid damaged to me. Just banged up and scratched. Though Sarrlacs are known for their slow digestion, so I doubt there would be much damage if Boba got out before he starved.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

bilateralrope wrote: 2020-10-31 06:10pm So Cobb lied when telling his story.
Is that confirmed by LFL? I wouldn't be surprised if it is since I'm a bit late to the party and more ardent fans than I have probably torn the inconsistencies to shreds before I saw it.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Galvatron wrote: 2020-10-31 08:17pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2020-10-31 06:10pm So Cobb lied when telling his story.
Is that confirmed by LFL? I wouldn't be surprised if it is since I'm a bit late to the party and more ardent fans than I have probably torn the inconsistencies to shreds before I saw it.
I haven't seen anything other than the episode of the Mandalorian and the text you quoted. It's just that a lie is the easiest way to reconcile the two, and it's easier to say that Cobb lied in the episode than to say the narrator lied in the novel. Also, Cobb's story in the episode had him surviving for days in the desert without water, which I found a bit suspicious while watching the episode.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You know what I would really like?
That guy at the end NOT being Boba Fett.
Because Boba Fett was a complete nonentity in the OT. He was a nobody that got killed by a blind man. by accident.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Plus Fett is the one that needed a reminder that "I want them alive" means "no disintergrations".

How would you feel if Fett was recognized for the competence he actually displayed in the OT, instead of the reputation he got from the fans ?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Now that's an interesting story concept. Boba Fett DID survive but is shunned by Mandalorian society because he's the most incompetent Mandalorian that ever was (after his father)