Naboo Ships

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Naboo Ships

Post by WhiteLion »

I don't know you love me Naboo's ships have always liked very much, they have a clean and elegant design, it's a shame that they don't even have a military use.
Were no ships ever made in the history of the planet?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Naboo Ships

Post by FaxModem1 »

FIrst, I think this should go into the Pure Star Wars forum.

That said, Naboo, from what I remember, their planet has primarily been a place of peace, aside from the war on the ground between the Naboo humans and the Gungans, and so they've never needed a military. This is why most of their ships are fighters or transports.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-09-04 08:03pm FIrst, I think this should go into the Pure Star Wars forum.

That said, Naboo, from what I remember, their planet has primarily been a place of peace, aside from the war on the ground between the Naboo humans and the Gungans, and so they've never needed a military. This is why most of their ships are fighters or transports.
In the old EU (aka legends) Naboo was a sectorial capital for a Mid Rim sector with no real enemies to speak of pre TPM (even conflict with the gungans seemed to me to be more like a cold war then a active conflict). Post TPM the only true enemy the Naboo would have would be the Trade Federation and it was implied that they couldn't really move against the Naboo without bringing the wrath of the Republic on them.

In fact to me it seems that planets with little to no military forces to speak of were the norm for Core to Midrim system.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

however, it is strange, inasmuch as for how peaceful a planet can be, it has an army anyway, it would have been nice if they had even made some warships. Basically "si vis pacem para bellum", the empire was not unknown to them, common sense would advise I do not say to create an army from galactic conquest but at least planetary defense forces.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-05 01:28am however, it is strange, inasmuch as for how peaceful a planet can be, it has an army anyway, it would have been nice if they had even made some warships. Basically "si vis pacem para bellum", the empire was not unknown to them, common sense would advise I do not say to create an army from galactic conquest but at least planetary defense forces.
A bit nitpicky but they were an Imperial world from the founding so they probably couldn't be allowed anything aside from the Imperial sector fleet.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

ok now the reasoning ranks. However, even as a world I really like, a clear example of the wonderful variety of settings in the Star Wars universe, unlike many other scifi series, it offers very different planets, from real heavenly planets like Naboo to real hells or frozen planets. I've always loved this aspect of Star Wars, it never gets boring. Even in Stargate, for example, even if there are many planets, the settings do not differ as much as in Star Wars.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-05 01:28am however, it is strange, inasmuch as for how peaceful a planet can be, it has an army anyway, it would have been nice if they had even made some warships. Basically "si vis pacem para bellum", the empire was not unknown to them, common sense would advise I do not say to create an army from galactic conquest but at least planetary defense forces.
Well Naboo was part of the Galactic Empire so they didn't any defense from it (in fact emperor Palpatine was from Naboo) and The Galactic Empire was the only empire worth considering in this.

We got to remember that 99% of the systems we visit in the orginal three movies of the Skywalker saga are imperial (Yavin IV and Hoth are really the only true exception). indeed pretty much all republic and CIS systems would be imperial systems during the galactic civil war (even systems in open rebellion like Alderaan or Mon Cal).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

First, Naboo is not really heavily populated. While important in that it is the birthplace of the Emperor and the place he got his political start (was he really born there?) it is not a really important system even in the Republic before the Empire. Sure, it's the capital of a sector in the Republic but not an overall important sector. It did not appear to have a big industrial or economic presence.

So...what would there be to defend?

It had a volunteer defense force on the ground. That pretty much gives you the situation. The main hanger had a dozen or so fighters in the capital city. That's the sum total of it's space force. That's either the strategic needs the government thinks it needs or can afford.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Knife wrote: 2019-10-27 07:03pm First, Naboo is not really heavily populated. While important in that it is the birthplace of the Emperor and the place he got his political start (was he really born there?) it is not a really important system even in the Republic before the Empire. Sure, it's the capital of a sector in the Republic but not an overall important sector. It did not appear to have a big industrial or economic presence.

So...what would there be to defend?

It had a volunteer defense force on the ground. That pretty much gives you the situation. The main hanger had a dozen or so fighters in the capital city. That's the sum total of it's space force. That's either the strategic needs the government thinks it needs or can afford.
Unless it's retconned Palpatine is a native of Naboo (as in he was born there to a family that lives there permanently) and Naboo seemed to have decent enough wealth so it probably means they don't need (much) more then it's shown in the movies.

When you think about it from the point of view of the Trade Federation they wouldn't want to strongarm the Republic by blockading a system that could fight back, since those could in theory deal with the Trade Federation by themselves. Sure Corellia is of way more economic worth but TF would have to deal with those "big corellian ships" Han was bragging about 30 years later (or the equilevants from the Republic era). Naboo is ideal for the Trade Fedration it's important enough to be noticed but not so powerful that it could give them a decent fight.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If we hadn't seen Canto Bight in TLJ, I'd call Naboo Space Monaco. Space Lichtenstein might be more accurate. It's small, but apparently very wealthy with a lot of old money, and normally doesn't have to worry about any hostilities because nobody really cares about it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I thought they chose Naboo because Darth Sidious told them to as part of Palpatine's larger gambit to become Chancellor? It didn't have to be a good target for the Trade Federation, Sidious merely had to convince them it was.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Even in Stargate, for example, even if there are many planets, the settings do not differ as much as in Star Wars.
I think this was because of budgetary limitations. This is why many planets look like either a soundstage or the Canadian wilderness (where many of the outdoor scenes were filmed).
Were no ships ever made in the history of the planet?
In other sources, it's stated that while the frames of the ships were produced in the Nabooan city of Theed, the hyperdrives were produced by Nubian Star Drives, Inc. on the planet Nubia.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

^That's why the more unique look of the Naboo craft-- they're an indigenous designed, boutique line that was crafted one piece at a time basically by hand (well, as far as Star Wars manufacturing is 'by hand' anyway), using engines and hardware imported from elsewhere. If they'd been more interested in a military security force, they'd have gone more in for a quicker, less handmade aesthetic and likely brought some manufacturing facilities on-planet.

As for Stargate... you have to give it some props, its outdoor environments aren't just some variety of soundstage or California woods, which was pretty much what you got with television SF for decades. Having the Vallejo Rocks in the background of every shot gets old. Granted given that there's something like almost twenty seasons total of various Stargate shows, it's getting to where you can recognize half of Vancouver Island. That said, budget is ALWAYS an issue for TV SF. Same reason B5's graphics are so incredibly dated.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Formless wrote: 2019-10-28 02:12pm I thought they chose Naboo because Darth Sidious told them to as part of Palpatine's larger gambit to become Chancellor? It didn't have to be a good target for the Trade Federation, Sidious merely had to convince them it was.
True but The Trade Federation leaders are greedy and not quite smart as they think, but they're not utterly mormonic, so Naboo would have to be at least close to a good target for TF leaders to accept it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-10-28 12:49pm If we hadn't seen Canto Bight in TLJ, I'd call Naboo Space Monaco. Space Lichtenstein might be more accurate. It's small, but apparently very wealthy with a lot of old money, and normally doesn't have to worry about any hostilities because nobody really cares about it.
In a galaxy the size of the one in SW, it would make sense that there's lots of little cash haven spots for rich people to do shitty rich people things.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Naboo didn't have a military because they didn't need a military. They had the Galactic Republic and the Jedi. The Trade Federation blockade was something of an OCP for the then-peaceful Republic, as I recall. Prior to that disputes were handled in the Senate and Jedi intervention. There were also the Judicials, though in Disney Canon we don't know much about them beyond the two who got blasted in the Trade Federation hanger at the start of TPM. In Legends though they still had capital ships and fighters they could bring to bear, if the situation called for it.

So a security force and some space fighters to (probably) chase off random pirates was all the Naboo needed. Anything more would be handled by the Senate, Jedi or Republic.

And obviously, the Empire when the time came.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-10-29 12:20pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-10-28 12:49pm If we hadn't seen Canto Bight in TLJ, I'd call Naboo Space Monaco. Space Lichtenstein might be more accurate. It's small, but apparently very wealthy with a lot of old money, and normally doesn't have to worry about any hostilities because nobody really cares about it.
In a galaxy the size of the one in SW, it would make sense that there's lots of little cash haven spots for rich people to do shitty rich people things.
It's interesting though, Naboo doesn't seem as outright evil as the galactic wealthy did on Canto Bight. While they marginalized the Gungans, which is a pretty lousy thing in its own right, they weren't enslaving or exploiting them. When Amidala found out about their situation, she attempted to correct it by making a treaty with the Gungan people. She had been somewhat insulated hitherto, and that suggests (to me at least) that the human population didn't regularly encounter them either. Perhaps the human population of Naboo originally went there like billionaires are flocking to New Zealand?

That said we don't really see much of Naboo at all. Just like... a palace and bits of the city, forests/swamps, that big battlefield and then what appeared to be sort of a luxury vacation cottage where Anakin and Padme hung out. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the great majority of their workforce are droids, say 95%, and the other 5% of the workforce are people who fix the droids.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Naboo's depiction as little more than a vacation resort still makes me hazy on why the Trade Federation chose to blockade and then occupy it, but that's an old debate that pisses a lot of people off...
Galvatron wrote: 2011-01-27 07:47pm Yes, it is vague, which also means unclear. That's my point.

Did Naboo support or oppose the taxes? Palpatine said that the tragedy started with the taxation, which implies the latter, so why would the Trade Federation blame their political allies?

Yes, I need it spelled out for me. Kinda like in how ANH when we're actually told why Alderaan is being destroyed.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If the Trade Federation targeted a world that was rich enough, they risk having to deal with any friends that world might have. Maybe someone who has a fleet large enough to drive them away, or maybe someone with influence in the Senate that is unhappy about some luxury of his being disrupted.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-10-29 11:01pm If the Trade Federation targeted a world that was rich enough, they risk having to deal with any friends that world might have. Maybe someone who has a fleet large enough to drive them away, or maybe someone with influence in the Senate that is unhappy about some luxury of his being disrupted.
:?:

Naboo -was- rich, well off enough to have the Jedi show up, an act that almost intimidated the Trade Federation into just giving up until Sidious told them to put on their big girl panties. I think it was more it being a fringe world that didn't actually supply anything important to anybody that gave the TF the idea they could take it without too much trouble. An (imaginary) real-world example might be, say, the East India Tea Company quietly taking over some Indonesian island. I mean, Naboo has a Senator of its own, which indicates that politically at least it was significant enough to be part of the Galactic Senate, and not just part of a consortium of worlds represented by a single Senator. Of course, that Senator was Palpatine, so basically Sidious was setting up the Trade Federation...
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Trade Federation blockaded Naboo because Sidious told them to blockade Naboo. Sidious told them to blockade Naboo because Palpatine could use it as a cause to gain the Supreme Chancellorship by taking down Valorum for being weak and indecisive, while having a sympathy vote to boost his prospects. The Trade Federation went along with it because Sidious promised them doing so would eliminate the tax problem, and they were scared shitless of him anyway so didn't dare question it.

I didn't think this was very complicated but I guess it was.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

None of that explains the TF's pretext for punishing a political ally.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-30 05:50pm None of that explains the TF's pretext for punishing a political ally.
It's your assumption they were a political ally, based off your interpretation of a single sentence that doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does. And can very easily not be read that way, since "the tragedy" Palpatine is talking about is more than likely the blockade and invasion, not the taxation.

For all we know, he supported it and voted for it. And at least in Legends: he did.

Which is, y'know, pretty likely considering the game he was playing.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-30 05:50pm None of that explains the TF's pretext for punishing a political ally.
Was the political ally Naboo, or the Republic itself?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Presumably Naboo. I'll quote myself from that old thread again...
Galvatron wrote: 2011-01-26 02:05pm Does the EU suddenly matter?

In the movie, Palpatine said this: "Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the senate, a tragedy has occurred which started right here with the taxation of trade routes and has now engulfed our entire planet in the oppression of the Trade Federation."

Why would he say that if the taxation was his idea? It sounds to me like he didn't even support it.

So why was Naboo was singled out by the Trade Federation? The movie is clear as mud on this point.
To me, it sounds like the "tragedy" was the entire sequence of events from A to Z, including the taxation itself.