Electronic Warfare in Star Wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Re: Electronic Warfare in Star Wars

Post by The_Saint »

I can't find the page for it but I remember there being a (now Legends) Imperial spy ship that could orbit a planet whilst in hyperspace collecting harvesting communications and other EM intel. By being in hyperspace at the time this rendered the ship effectively invisible to any real space sensors.

I got the feeling it was supposed to be a ship where the cost of equipment and technology was prohibitive enough to cause very small production numbers but the intel gained (and ability to obtain intel) was worthy enough that it was a series ship (not a one off).
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I'm not sure that that's possible -- since there are numerous occasions where SW sensors are able to detect a ship in hyperspace (or about to come out of it).
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Abacus wrote:I'm not sure that that's possible -- since there are numerous occasions where SW sensors are able to detect a ship in hyperspace (or about to come out of it).
The old EU seemed to believe that hyperspace meant invisibility, despite what we see in the films that contradicts this(in particular Han's comments in A New Hope). It seemed to go with the alternative dimension hypothesis, in which it was also impossible to use comms or make course corrections most of the time.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Abacus wrote:I'm not sure that that's possible -- since there are numerous occasions where SW sensors are able to detect a ship in hyperspace (or about to come out of it).
The old EU seemed to believe that hyperspace meant invisibility, despite what we see in the films that contradicts this(in particular Han's comments in A New Hope). It seemed to go with the alternative dimension hypothesis, in which it was also impossible to use comms or make course corrections most of the time.
actually old EU was never clear on that (or a lot of other things) sometimes hyperspace=invisible to real space and other times it didn't (or it was implied it didn't).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I think the New Canon has settled some of those issues, seeing as how we often can see the Ghost's crew communicating with others while in hyperspace.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Abacus wrote:I think the New Canon has settled some of those issues, seeing as how we often can see the Ghost's crew communicating with others while in hyperspace.
for now at least we'll see in 30 years or so if that's changed.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Episode VII not only had them communicating in hyperspace, but apparently they were in a "holding pattern" awaiting Han's signal. So take that as you will.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

RogueIce wrote:Episode VII not only had them communicating in hyperspace, but apparently they were in a "holding pattern" awaiting Han's signal. So take that as you will.
Does that then mean that hyperspace is a dimension and no longer simply a state of movement? (Not sure if I'm phrasing that right...)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Inconclusive as usual. All we know is a) they were FTL and b) they could be talked to. For all we know they were flying FTL figure eights in realspace.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Batman wrote:For all we know they were flying FTL figure eights in realspace.
Or were flying figure outs at FTL...the syntax is where the meat of the issue seems to be, and where we lack any syntax, we only have a few images and scenes that hint at but do not confirm...gharrr...