Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

Post by Galvatron »

Patroklos wrote:ts worth noting that Moff is not a military rank, but rather a civilian rank. It can be held by military personnel, and it doesn't have to be and thus you can have a very high ranking person in general with a lower military rank who can still order around senior military personnel due to his civilian position.
I tried making that very same case to Curtis over a decade ago, but he wouldn't have it. He insisted that moff and grand moff were military ranks and that Tarkin's badge was that of a grand moff.

Of course, this was before the Hand of Thrawn duology was published in which Zahn emphatically stated that moffs were civilians political leaders and not military officers.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:I always assumed the different insignia were for different services personally. Since we only see one scheme in ESB and ROTJ, but (with the exception of Jerjerrod) we only see line officers in the Imperial Starfleet it seems easy enough. And even Jerjerrod can be explained that he's wearing the rank he held before becoming Moff because he's a professional or something.
OR Jerjerrod simultaneously held the military rank of commander and the civilian title of moff.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:Presumably nobody either thought or cared very much about them when they made ANH. They were a bit of military trimming, that was all. Hence the turned-around badges on the ISB guys and what not. Then they made a ridiculous amount of money and went 'oh shit we need to establish some consistency cause sequels' and buckled down. That's the most likely explanation IMO, anyway.
Out of universe, most likely. Which is why ANH is all over the place with it. I think you can make a system out of it though, if one had to.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:I always assumed the different insignia were for different services personally. Since we only see one scheme in ESB and ROTJ, but (with the exception of Jerjerrod) we only see line officers in the Imperial Starfleet it seems easy enough. And even Jerjerrod can be explained that he's wearing the rank he held before becoming Moff because he's a professional or something.
That would be great, if it weren't for General Veers and that one Snowtrooper officer in his AT-AT cockpit wearing insignia of the same style. I mean, I'd love it if there was a good way to tell the difference between the Navy and Army, but from looking at Veers' shipboard uniform...there isn't. :(
Galvatron wrote:I tried making that very same case to Curtis over a decade ago, but he wouldn't have it. He insisted that moff and grand moff were military ranks and that Tarkin's badge was that of a grand moff.

Of course, this was before the Hand of Thrawn duology was published in which Zahn emphatically stated that moffs were civilians political leaders and not military officers.
Eh, that was after a lot of defeats and probably some restructuring of the Empire. I mean we go from Daala holding the cards, to Pellaeon being total control...and then we have Moffs again because why not? But Legends was a fucking mess and there probably were Moffs lurking around even though Darksaber sure as fuck ignored any such beings holding any real power because some other source decided to say so later on.

Anyway, counting something like two decades later after a lot of upheaval as "this is how it was in the movies" probably isn't the best plan anyway. I mean I'm sure it's just coincidence that they pretty much always wore military-style uniforms and military-style insignia, right? And Grand Moff Kaine wearing the same badge as Tarkin, yep total coincidence. Yup. I think it's more likely they were a definite blurring of the lines between civil and military authority because that's how they fucking roll.

In any event, Legends lol

For new Canon, "Tarkin as Moff" has a military uniform and a rank badge clearly inspired by his Grand Moff badge in ANH, though at a 'lower rank' by all appearances. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence too, right?
Eternal_Freedom wrote:OR Jerjerrod simultaneously held the military rank of commander and the civilian title of moff.
Or rank blooper because everyone wore that insignia because reasons.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Curse you edit window! Image

Look, think of "Moff" as a fancy Star Wars word for Governor-general:

"The governor-general was also usually the commander-in-chief of the armed forces in his or her territory and, because of the governor-general's control of the military, the post was as much a military appointment as a civil one. The governors-general are entitled to wear a unique uniform, which are not generally worn today."
(emphases mine)

Also from the Canadian Armed Forces website:
  • As Commander-in-Chief of Canada, the governor general may, in this capacity, wear the uniform at events.

The Canadian Forces Publication (CFP) which regulates the wear of military uniforms for the Governor General is CFP 265, the Canadian Forces Dress Instructions manual.

The governor general wears a flag/general officer uniform with special flag/general sleeve braid, embellished with the governor general’s badge, and a large embroidered governor general’s badge on the shoulder straps or boards.
SOURCE: Wearing the Canadian Forces Uniforms

Moff (and by extension Grand Moff) is basically the blending of a military rank with a civilian position. It is not an either-or situation.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

RogueIce wrote:That would be great, if it weren't for General Veers and that one Snowtrooper officer in his AT-AT cockpit wearing insignia of the same style. I mean, I'd love it if there was a good way to tell the difference between the Navy and Army, but from looking at Veers' shipboard uniform...there isn't. :(
Perhaps there isn't actually a difference and they are all within a unified chain of command, with the different ranks merely a tradition rather than anything real. Based on the films, I would also not assume that there is a separate Imperial army in addition to stormtroopers, with Veers and his army units being a heavy mechanized stormtrooper unit. Does the Battlefront novel have any commentary on this?

The Rebel Alliance seems to use the same concept, with both generals and admirals in the same structure.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

This entire discussion was solved on page 7 or 8 of "Tarkin". Besides the numerous amount of ex-EU material, the Tarkin book is actually current cannon.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:This entire discussion was solved on page 7 or 8 of "Tarkin". Besides the numerous amount of ex-EU material, the Tarkin book is actually current cannon.
How was it solved? I read that book and I don't recall that level of granular detail about rank badges.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Page 8, 5th Paragraph, "Tarkin" by James Luceno
"Just below each shoulder were narrow pockets designed to accommodate short cylinders that contained coded information about the wearer. A rank insignia plaque made up of two rows of small colored squares was affixed to the tunic's left breast. Medals and battle ribbons had no places on the uniform, nor in the Imperial military. The Emperor was scornful of commendations for sand or pluck."
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Fair enough. It's interesting that the novel made no correlation between the cylinders and the rank badges though.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:Fair enough. It's interesting that the novel made no correlation between the cylinders and the rank badges though.
Speculatively, if the cylinders are indeed for unlocking classified messages and all that, then perhaps the number of cylinders you have correlates to your level of classified knowledge. Obviously someone like Tarkin at the very top levels of the Imperial military would have, say, Ultra Top Secret or whatever classification, so they get four cylinders to unlock information at that level. Someone in a specific role in the military, though they might not rate as high as another officer, might have more cylinders because of their function (say someone developing new designs of TIE fighter might have three cylinders versus a senior line officer with only two).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Okay, but does that mean that the cylinders are intended as a visible indicator of rank?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
RogueIce wrote:That would be great, if it weren't for General Veers and that one Snowtrooper officer in his AT-AT cockpit wearing insignia of the same style. I mean, I'd love it if there was a good way to tell the difference between the Navy and Army, but from looking at Veers' shipboard uniform...there isn't. :(
Perhaps there isn't actually a difference and they are all within a unified chain of command, with the different ranks merely a tradition rather than anything real. Based on the films, I would also not assume that there is a separate Imperial army in addition to stormtroopers, with Veers and his army units being a heavy mechanized stormtrooper unit. Does the Battlefront novel have any commentary on this?

The Rebel Alliance seems to use the same concept, with both generals and admirals in the same structure.
This was my thinking. The only Imperial ground forces we see are Stormtroopers, or forces supporting Stormtroopers (AT-ATs etc). Perhaps they fall under the Starfleet chain of command the same way the US Marines are technically part of the Navy.

Or, hell, maybe the Imperial Army and Navy decided to use common uniforms and insignia (not an impossible idea, the US military uses common insignia if not uniforms). So the "Regular military" uses the ESB-ROTJ rank badges and uniforms while the ISB/Intelligence/Moffs/Local sector forces/whatever use their own.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Okay, so what do black uniforms signify and why does Admiral Titus wear one? Some black unformed Imperials don't even have rank badges. Are these supposed to be NCOs?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I honestly don't know, I've never seen Rebels or Clone Wars, I'm going just from what I recall from the films.

But at a guess, perhaps he's an Admiral in Regional forces, those under command of the Grand Moffs rather than the central command of the Starfleet.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Perhaps there isn't actually a difference and they are all within a unified chain of command, with the different ranks merely a tradition rather than anything real.
Possibly, though that gets a little messy. Not sure why bother with the separate titles though if there's no way to tell them apart anyway, since people unfamiliar with the individual officers would constantly be getting wrong.

TBH I like the old idea of Veers' plaque having those extra spacers on his badge to be a way to tell the difference. I know Saxton discounted it, but I honestly don't recall anyone else's service uniforms having those gaps. Granted he lacked those spacers on his field armor but in context it's pretty clear he'd be Army anyway.

Of course Tarkin IIRC wore essentially the same thing himself, but nobody's confusing a Grand Moff badge with anything else. Naval officers generally won't be leading ground operations anyway so it should be a nonissue for them.
Based on the films, I would also not assume that there is a separate Imperial army in addition to stormtroopers, with Veers and his army units being a heavy mechanized stormtrooper unit.
"Rebels" is also pretty much running with this, so yeah I'd say stormtroopers = Army at this point. I just find it interesting that the one trooper has a badge when we pretty much never see armored troopers with badges. Maybe the colored pauldrons weren't practical so they had to default to the plaque for that mission. It's an odd outlier though, because why would that officer even need a visible indicator of rank in that scenario?
Galvatron wrote:Okay, but does that mean that the cylinders are intended as a visible indicator of rank?
As previously noted, on the ESB uniforms it almost has to be, unless you go by the old Legends where each badge represents three or four different ranks/titles and you'd have to be psychic to know who is who. Or if they make the jump from Lieutenant -> Captain (in Navy terms) with nothing in between. Otherwise, they pretty much have to be significant because there's no other way to tell the difference.

The ANH style doesn't require it though, and if the Tarkin quote is speaking in that context - I'd assume it's describing Tarkin himself - then in that situation they indeed wouldn't have anything to do with rank.
Galvatron wrote:Okay, so what do black uniforms signify and why does Admiral Titus wear one? Some black unformed Imperials don't even have rank badges. Are these supposed to be NCOs?
That's a tough one, mainly because Titus fucks it up. The SWTC theory of them being stormtrooper officers works well enough in the ANH context, but then why would a Naval officer be wearing one?

I know the black uniforms came back for RotJ (Vader's shuttle arriving in particular), did they also have rank badges or were they badge-less? I can't remember and don't have the DVDs at hand. If no badges, one could assume that's some kind of Senior NCO or Warrant Officer uniform.

But again, Admiral Titus fucks all of that up.

Look, at the end of the day we kind of have to acknowledge that, out of universe, there more than likely is no consistency between different movies, the shows and the comics when it comes to the Imperial uniforms. Whether or not ESB had a plan internally consistent with itself, it obviously had nothing to do with ANH and then RotJ comes along and does something different again.

So the three highest Canon sources for Imperial uniforms and insignia show us three different things which means we're as good as screwed from the outset. Anything we try to bash together is an adhoc justification that pretty much has nothing to do with the (lack of) plan between the costume designers of the three films.

And it just filters out from there. Like, I'm pretty sure the only reason Admiral Titus wears a black uniform is because it's a nod to ANH and little to no thought was given to its significance beyond "officers in ANH wear uniforms like this so here's a nod to that" by the design team.

At the end of the day, in this thread and elsewhere, we're just trying to make sense of a system that was never actually a system to begin with. We'll never answer all the questions or adequately explain all the outliers because it is vanishingly unlikely that the content creators who made said outliers or raised said questions by sticking something into their works ever gave that much thought to it in the first place.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Titus was in command of an experimental prototype interdictor, IIRC. Could he be attached to an Intelligence branch of the Imperial military versus the regular starfleet, thus the black uniform? Could that also be why Vader's men in ANH wore black uniforms as well?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:Titus was in command of an experimental prototype interdictor, IIRC. Could he be attached to an Intelligence branch of the Imperial military versus the regular starfleet, thus the black uniform? Could that also be why Vader's men in ANH wore black uniforms as well?
Maybe? I guess you could stretch things that the detention center officers, since it was Princess Leia's cell block, would be Intel? And those hanger deck officers are a little odd to be Intel, but maybe they just took over from the regular crew when the Millenium Falcon was identified as having blasted from Mos Eisley and suspected to have the plans.

Not sure why this breed of officer vanished after ANH, but I guess they had no real place in the next two movies? Who knows. It's as good a guess as any though.

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

RogueIce wrote:I don't know, maybe if there are decent pictures of the bridge crew of that Venator during the end of RotS? I doubt they changed the rank insignia that quickly; yeah Tarkin's insignia is new but that's easier than a total overhaul of existing rank insignia.
Image One person with 3 blue over 2 red and another with I think 4 red.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Elheru Aran wrote: Presumably nobody either thought or cared very much about them when they made ANH. They were a bit of military trimming, that was all. Hence the turned-around badges on the ISB guys and what not. Then they made a ridiculous amount of money and went 'oh shit we need to establish some consistency cause sequels' and buckled down. That's the most likely explanation IMO, anyway.
If anything, exactly the opposite is true. Only guys audibly addressed on screen in ESB are differentiated by rank insignia (General Veers for instance) while ANH's imperial ranks have a large degree of differentiation between them. ANH gives us:
█ █ █ █
Lieutenant Tanbris

█ █ █ █ █ █
Commander Praji (Vader's assistant/adjutant)

█ █ █ █ █ █
Captain Khurgee (Searches the Milennium Falcon)

█ █ █ █ █ █
Chief Bast (at the conference), General Cass (reports on the expedition to Dantooine)

█ █ █ █ █ █
or
█ █ █ █ █ █
ISB Colonel Yularen and the ISB officers in the corridor.

█ █ █ █ █ █
Admiral Motti.

█ █ █ █ █ █
Tagge.

█ █ █ █ █ █
█ █ █ █ █ █
Tarkin.
Within the system given in ANH, there are clearly many differentiations of rank and grade, the system, even if it makes no logical sense as a strict progression, at least lets you tell one rank from the next; within the ESB system there's no way to give any officer a rank between naval lieutenant and naval captain. When arranged this way, we get the impression that red is of a higher status than the others, while in later films, we get the impression that red is part of every insignia. Within this system you don't need to imply that the cylinders represent rank, because there's enough flexibility to include many ranks.

Aside from Tarkin, rank appears to flow from number of blue, then gold, then red pins, with red being the most valuable - Tarkin's two-layer plaque of course must have a greater total 'value' than Tagge's despite having less red.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

It should also be noted that the Old Republic's rank designation method is different from the Galactic Empire's, but because the GE's military was born out of the Old Republics, there is bound to be some overlap until the newer method of rank designation is fully implemented galaxy-wide.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

NecronLord wrote:Within the system given in ANH, there are clearly many differentiations of rank and grade, the system, even if it makes no logical sense as a strict progression, at least lets you tell one rank from the next; within the ESB system there's no way to give any officer a rank between naval lieutenant and naval captain. When arranged this way, we get the impression that red is of a higher status than the others, while in later films, we get the impression that red is part of every insignia. Within this system you don't need to imply that the cylinders represent rank, because there's enough flexibility to include many ranks.
I'd have to agree. While I like the concept behind the ESB style - the uniformity of matching red over blue just looks better than the various colors of ANH - needing to rely on the code cylinders is a weakness. Plus the apparent way it's done is counterintuitive: why would a senior officer have fewer code cylinders than his subordinates? You'd think it should go the other way.

TBH so much could have been fixed had they just given Piett and the other Captains four columns, while Veers got five columns. At some point you still need something to tell the difference because six grades just won't cut it from Ensign -> Admiral (unless it's pretty bare bones for junior officers), but it would have been a bit better in that regard.

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Exceptions and higher-level categories occur as explanations for senior officers having fewer cylinders; where a Lieutenant might have clearance for basic low-level secrets, MOS-related technical documents, immediate command operations, and broad regional threat assessments (for example), each requiring its own cylinder, a Grand Admiral might have a single cylinder marked 'everything.'
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There also seems to have some merit in the notion that gold might connote some sort of staff rank in the ANH ones, while red and blue represent ordinary command.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Esquire wrote:Exceptions and higher-level categories occur as explanations for senior officers having fewer cylinders; where a Lieutenant might have clearance for basic low-level secrets, MOS-related technical documents, immediate command operations, and broad regional threat assessments (for example), each requiring its own cylinder, a Grand Admiral might have a single cylinder marked 'everything.'
I thought about that, but the way it resets itself makes it weird. A Major General needs only one, but a Lieutenant General needs three? An Admiral goes back down to one but then a Fleet Admiral again needs three?

And anyway a Lieutenant only has one, which makes sense, while a Lieutenant Commander jumps to three...ok. But then it works back down to one for a Captain only to once again jump up for flag ranks, and then again in the middle of those flag ranks as noted above.

It's just an odd way to go about it. To me, it would work better if you inverted that system, and then closed a few of the gaps in the table. That way you're at worst losing maybe one rank cylinder when you go up a "column number" in rank (except Colonel -> High Colonel, but that's an outlier).

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

NecronLord wrote:There also seems to have some merit in the notion that gold might connote some sort of staff rank in the ANH ones, while red and blue represent ordinary command.
So Captain Khurgee is the ultimate staff weenie? :P

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Another sort-of-revelation: Tarkin is the one who created the rank designation for the title of "Grand Moff". Two short little excerpts from "Tarkin".
Page 302, Tarkin wrote:"Considering the Emperor had created the title Grand Moff for Tarkin, he had not been promoted so much as escalated."
We all know that the Emperor created roughly 20 Moffs after the creation of the Empire. Tarkin was the first Grand Moff, once again creating a new level of authority and rank.
page 305, Tarkin wrote:"To compliment his new station, he designed and made a gray-green uniform whose thick-belted, round-collared tunic featured four code cylinders and a rank plaque of twelve multicolored squares, six blue over trios of red and gold. In all dealings with the Emperor he was referred to as Grand Moff, but for ordinary interactions with military personnel he retained the honorific 'Governor'.
It appears that Tarkin was able to create the rank plaque that was to reflect his station.