Challenge: Rebuild the New Republic fleet.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Challenge: Rebuild the New Republic fleet.

Post by Elheru Aran »

From what I vaguely recall the story with the Republic military during the Clone Wars was that Sifo-Dyas was manipulated into ordering their materiel as well as the clone battalions. Once the Wars started, the Republic placed their own orders-- Sifo-Dyas' orders had mainly been for the initial production run of Acclamators, walkers, and so forth. Some may also have been produced on Kamino as well, though I'm not 100% on that.

None of this is stated in the films, of course, they just magically appear when needed. But the obvious conclusion is that they had been ordered under the radar. After all, they managed to keep Kamino and all that quiet for years. Palpatine might even have been planning on having the Clones as a third party to the war between the Separatists and the Republic until Obi-Wan blew the whole thing open.

Anyway. Rebuilding the Republic navy.

Either you do it from scratch-- in which time you're going to be terribly vulnerable unless you can legitimize the Resistance and whatever resources they have on hand-- or un-mothball old Galactic Civil War resources, whatever those are, if you have any laying about. It might even cost less to scavenge entire ships off Jakku.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Strangely, it seems that Kuat is supplying the First Order with their new warships. One would think that they would sooner make ships for the New Republic than a splinter faction of the former Empire.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Galvatron wrote:Strangely, it seems that Kuat is supplying the First Order with their new warships. One would think that they would sooner make ships for the New Republic than a splinter faction of the former Empire.
Wait, is "Kuat-Entralla" the same as "Kuat Drive Yards"? Is it possible they're an offshoot, (who, similarly, kind of lost their biggest buyer when the Empire fell)?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Given that the article on the Resurgent class ships notes that they are built at new, secret shipyard facilities on the galactic frontier, I doubt that Kuat itself is building them.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
evillejedi
Padawan Learner

Post by evillejedi »

Here are some ships to choose from (Bluray screen captures and special features)

Looks like some standard sized mon cals, maybe some smaller mon cals and Nebulon B's

and one interesting large ship that looks like a Nebula class or MC 90 style semi dagger
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

biostem wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Strangely, it seems that Kuat is supplying the First Order with their new warships. One would think that they would sooner make ships for the New Republic than a splinter faction of the former Empire.
Wait, is "Kuat-Entralla" the same as "Kuat Drive Yards"? Is it possible they're an offshoot, (who, similarly, kind of lost their biggest buyer when the Empire fell)?
Yeah I suspect it'll be something like what Incom did. Whole design team takes prototype and defects to the Rebellion, company continues in Imperial hands with a notional Incom producing X-Wings for the Rebels.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It'd be interesting if KDY proper winds up producing new ships for the Republic. I never really liked that the old EU made the Mon Cals the primary supplier of warships for the New Republic.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

In fairness the old EU did have a moderately reasonable explanation for that: right up until near the end of the civil war Kuat stayed in either Imperial hands or was independent, and the last boss destroyed the shipyards rather than let them fall into the NR's hands.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:In fairness the old EU did have a moderately reasonable explanation for that: right up until near the end of the civil war Kuat stayed in either Imperial hands or was independent, and the last boss destroyed the shipyards rather than let them fall into the NR's hands.
Are you talking about Kuat of Kuat?
Later, in fear of losing control of the Kuat Drive Yards, Kuat wired the entire construction docks with explosives. Boba Fett flew the Hound's Tooth into the exploding construction area, where he found Kuat inside one of the larger ships waiting for his imminent death.

After a series of questions about the bombing raid of the Dune Sea, Boba Fett made Kuat leave the ship. Fett managed to pilot the ship into the vacuum of space. In the aftermath, Kuat was killed by the explosions, but the ship that Fett flew into space was a key part of the explosives, and the removal of the ship disrupted the process; 80% of the docks survived, thanks to Fett.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thats who I was thinking of yes. I hadn't realised so much survived. Though IIRC KDY stopped existing as a company and Kuat dropped from shipbuilding prominence anyway. Probably people in the NR Senate not wanting to award contracts to the builders of the Empire's tools of oppression etc.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It'll be interesting if it turns out that the New Republic's constituent worlds have standing military forces of their own that can be brought into the fight against the First Order. I'd like to see KDY ships in use by them if not the New Republic's fleet.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:It'll be interesting if it turns out that the New Republic's constituent worlds have standing military forces of their own that can be brought into the fight against the First Order. I'd like to see KDY ships in use by them if not the New Republic's fleet.
Well we already saw that at least Naboo has a 'security force' with starfighters, and that was a small though economically prosperous world. It would go without saying that a larger world or system such as Corellia, Sullust, Chandrila and so forth would have stronger 'security forces' which could be consolidated into a larger military. The question is whether those member worlds would be comfortable enough permitting their security forces to venture abroad and leave them vulnerable...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It'd be cool if that is a Nebula; wonder if there's a higher-res pic anywhere.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth