So who gets the Death Star II?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

So who gets the Death Star II?

Post by NeoGoomba »

Let's say that, for whatever reason, the Death Star II is completed on schedule. Either there is no rebel attack at all, or it is soundly defeated as planned. My question is, without Grand Moff Tarkin around to be the main proponent of the Tarkin Doctrine, who would get the Death Star II command? Was there any indication in the old source material about this? Would Palpatine have moved his seat there, perhaps? Or was it always going to fall to Grand Moff Jerjerrod upon completion?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: So who gets the Death Star II?

Post by Grumman »

NeoGoomba wrote:Would Palpatine have moved his seat there, perhaps?
This was my assumption - he already had a throne there, so making the most powerful starship in the history of ever into his seat of power seemed likely.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

There was a throne room on a lot of command ships iirc. I think he would have stayed at Coruscant because political power always trumps military power.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

I've more than once speculated, that one reason for DSII's massive increase in size in comparison to DSI (160km to 900km) was because Palpatine sooner or later intended to run the Empire from DSII instead of Coruscant and move the top-levels of the bueuracracy there.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

FTeik wrote:I've more than once speculated, that one reason for DSII's massive increase in size in comparison to DSI (160km to 900km) was because Palpatine sooner or later intended to run the Empire from DSII instead of Coruscant and move the top-levels of the bueuracracy there.
What purpose would that serve other than make Palpatine a moving target? He has HoloNet access to much of the Galaxy, and a HoloNet transceiver on his Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers in parts of the Imperial demesene where there is no HoloNet access(TESB). Moreover, the local Moffs have authority to make whatever decisions they need to, with direct oversight only from the Emperor or whoever he delegates to act as his represenative. (ANH)

As to who would command DSII, probably not Jerrejod, not with all the excuses and delays on his part. The Emperor takes as dim a view of incompetence as his apprentice, after all. It may very well be that the second Death Star will be placed under Vader's direct command, in his role as Palpatine's roving troubleshooter, though, that's unlikely, given that treachery is the way of the Sith, and the second Death Star would be a perfect way for Vader to repay his master for all he's done.

(unless, of course, Palpatine already has another apprentice waiting in the wings, as he did when he urged Anakin to kill Dooku)

Piett would seem a good candidate for commanding the DSII. He's a competent officer, and a loyal party man, as it were, unlikely to let that new-found power go to his head, and turn against Emperor and Empire.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:As to who would command DSII, probably not Jerrejod, not with all the excuses and delays on his part. The Emperor takes as dim a view of incompetence as his apprentice, after all.
If you go with the deleted scenes as having any relevance (and we might as well since this is all a "what-if?" anyway) Palpatine did have Jerjerrod cock-block Vader from seeing him at one point. So he can't be too unhappy with him. Especially if his "we shall double our efforts" paid off, which it seems to have done so since the superlaser worked as expected.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

RogueIce wrote: If you go with the deleted scenes as having any relevance (and we might as well since this is all a "what-if?" anyway) Palpatine did have Jerjerrod cock-block Vader from seeing him at one point. So he can't be too unhappy with him. Especially if his "we shall double our efforts" paid off, which it seems to have done so since the superlaser worked as expected.
I forgot about the deleted scenes. I stand corrected on Jerrejod being in line to command the DSII then.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I don't see it as improbable that Palpatine could've treated the DSII as something of a "Summer Palace" and shuttled back and forth periodically between that and Coruscant. Daily command would likely fall to a vague rotation of Moffs and Grand Admirals, depending on who was currently within Palpatine's favour. Vader is too useful as an independent agent to let him sit about cooling his heels on the DSII (not to mention the obvious dangers vis-a-vis Sith succession).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

IG88? :lol:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

We do not speak of that.

Maybe Palpatine would have brought Thrawn back (non-canon now I know, but it is a what-if). He's highly competent and loyal enough to the Empire that he kept fighting for it years after Palpatine's death, rather than setting up his own fiefdom as so many other senior officers did.

Or maybe he'll park the damn thing in Coruscant orbit and live there, he's only a shuttle ride away from the important people on the surface and his continued presence with an "I'll kill you all" button is a good way to keep terrifying the population.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

I would agree with the line of reasoning that Palpatine would stay aboard. A near unassailable fortress which can combat entire fleets on its own and destroy entire worlds with ease. It's such a display of pure, naked power that he wouldn't even need to step back onto Coruscant. He's the Emperor, all others have to come to him.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I wonder if Palpatine or the ISB placed a substantial emergency "back-door" into the DS architecture in case whoever is awarded command decides to go Warlord (or Sith Lord if it's Vader). Some sort of remote self-destruct or other means? I mean, it is a massive show of trust on Palpatine's part to entrust the greatest non-Force tool in the hands of someone else. And I don't see him being that trusting with anyone other than Tarkin.

Maybe it was built for his true Master, Jar-Jar? :P
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:As to who would command DSII, probably not Jerrejod, not with all the excuses and delays on his part. The Emperor takes as dim a view of incompetence as his apprentice, after all. It may very well be that the second Death Star will be placed under Vader's direct command, in his role as Palpatine's roving troubleshooter, though, that's unlikely, given that treachery is the way of the Sith, and the second Death Star would be a perfect way for Vader to repay his master for all he's done.
Presumably, anyone given command of the Death Star could become an existential threat to Palpatine's regime - I mean what would have prevented Tarkin from just blowing up Coruscant and declaring himself Emperor?

I guess if he showed signs of disloyalty the Emperor could force choke him from a distance or something. It's unclear what the range on that is.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

God knows, 72.

I do know what Vader will do with the Death Star once he has it, though he probably will wait a bit til Palpatine's caught off-guard to annhilate Coruscant. And, no one knows better than Palpatine that treachery is the way of the Sith.

I picked Piett on the same criteria that the Soviet Navy supposedly picked its SSBN skippers: He appears to be a loyal party man, a competent officer, and utterly without initiative. But, who knows what Piett was hiding behind that bland Imperial exterior?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Act least in the (non-canon) "Death Star" novel it was implied that Palpatine had fail-safes put into the Death Star to prevent the commander from getting any ideas about who should rule the galaxy, oh and Tarkin doesn't know exactly what those fail-safes are though he knows they exist.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The exhaust port?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

ray245 wrote:The exhaust port?
possible but not likely as said defect was noticed as dismissed as not important enough by people who would not be privy to Palpatine's plans, also people tend to exagrate the importance of that exhaust port. the Rebel attack wasn't some "impossible to fail" mission like people seem to think it was, it had very low chance of success but the rebels didn't have the time to find a weakness that was easier to exploit so they took what they could.

It's more likely that Palpatine's fail-safe is something like a hidden shutdown code that only he and few others know and that's hardcoded into the DS Computers.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

RogueIce wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:As to who would command DSII, probably not Jerrejod, not with all the excuses and delays on his part. The Emperor takes as dim a view of incompetence as his apprentice, after all.
If you go with the deleted scenes as having any relevance (and we might as well since this is all a "what-if?" anyway) Palpatine did have Jerjerrod cock-block Vader from seeing him at one point. So he can't be too unhappy with him. Especially if his "we shall double our efforts" paid off, which it seems to have done so since the superlaser worked as expected.
Well, if you go with deleted scenes, Jerrejod messed up Palaptine's revenge-from-beynd-the-grave plan because of his conscience, and we are talking about just a few battalions (most likely already decimated by murderous locals), what would happen if he was ordered to destroy a planet full of Imperial citizens?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

eMeM wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
Well, if you go with deleted scenes, Jerrejod messed up Palaptine's revenge-from-beynd-the-grave plan because of his conscience, and we are talking about just a few battalions (most likely already decimated by murderous locals), what would happen if he was ordered to destroy a planet full of Imperial citizens?
"Your Majesty, I can't do this... >urk<" (cue troopers dragging body away as either someone holsters a blaster or the Force settles down)

"[Second-in-command], you are now in charge. You will fire that superlaser now."

"...uh YES SIR RIGHT AWAY"
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think he would have left Jerjerrod in command, but probably surrounded him by ISB loyalty officers. Even then, I'm sure Palpatine would have built in redundant failsafe kill switches that he could use remotely in case whomever was commanding the DS2 had any funny ideas about going rogue.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That's simple enough; just program the DS2's fire-control systems to not accept firing orders for Kuat, Fondor, Coruscant, or any other world the Emperor decrees strategically important, without Palpatine physically inputting the orders via voiceprint and biometrics. Or, without Palpatine inputting the necessary codes via HoloNet comm sent from one designated location(e.g. only from the Imperial Palace).
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Honestly I think that the whole Vader vs Jerjerrod thing wasn't Palpatine trusting the later. It was a classic example of a dictator playing one of his top individuals off against the other to sponsor rivalries which ensure they can not unite against him. It's that simple.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Jerjerrod a rival? I always thought he was terrified of Vader.

In fact, I could have sworn I read somewhere that Jerjerrod was deliberately selected to command the Death Star because he was not only a competent administrator, but also because he lacked the imagination and ambition to be a serious threat to the Emperor.

Or something to that effect. I could be wrong.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:That's simple enough; just program the DS2's fire-control systems to not accept firing orders for Kuat, Fondor, Coruscant, or any other world the Emperor decrees strategically important, without Palpatine physically inputting the orders via voiceprint and biometrics. Or, without Palpatine inputting the necessary codes via HoloNet comm sent from one designated location(e.g. only from the Imperial Palace).
Just have a small army of droid engineers design a force-specific system that only a force user can actually use; then destroy the droids afterwards.

EDIT: I'm sure the Jedi in their thousand generations actually designed something like this; so it's not like Palps would be starting from scratch.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the old EU there were so MANY Dark Side force users (Inquisitors and Prophets of the Dark Side and Imperial Hands and whatnot) that this would be rather unsafe for Palpatine. Since it would be fully in keeping with Sith traditions for one of them to use the Death Star he created to blow up a planet while he was on it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov