Justifying the Empire with the War on Terror

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Justifying the Empire with the War on Terror

Post by Galvatron »

Thanas wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Not to my knowledge.
They are no longer canon. On the downside we lose KOTOR and TIE Fighter, on the upside we lose The Force Unleashed. .
Only applies to post RotJ things from my reading of it.
Pretty sure all pre-Disney EU been decanonized and is now considered "Legends." That goes for all EU set before, during and after the movies.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

That was my thought as well. For better or worse, the EU became a house of cards. It was impossible to remove parts without trashing all of it. Thrawn's appearances pre-ROTJ don't make any sense if he isn't a major antagonist in the aftermath era.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, aftermath already has him pretty much in there, so....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Another thing.....Alderaan was an imperial world. Most of the people on it were imperial citizens who if they disliked the empire certainly weren't plotting treason. THAT'S why Alderaan's destruction is wrong. The chances that most of the people were active traitors or would be is ludicrous.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC-- this is all Legendaries but anyway-- Garm Bel Iblis' family was killed in a Rebel bomb attack, before the Alliance became a thing. That suggests that at least before the Alliance was, er, allied, there may have been some extremist groups trying to break the Empire by terrorist attacks. Presumably once the Alliance was formed, they may have directed its members to avoid such tactics. It's a bit murky though, and it's been a long time since I read that corner of the EU...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Thanas wrote:Well, aftermath already has him pretty much in there, so....
Nothing would surprise me at this point. The Empire's anti-alien bias from the old EU was kinda turned on its ear when it was decided that Mas Amedda (not Sate Pestage) would remain the Emperor's Grand Vizier throughout his entire reign in the new canon.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Galvatron wrote: Nothing would surprise me at this point. The Empire's anti-alien bias from the old EU was kinda turned on its ear when it was decided that Mas Amedda (not Sate Pestage) would remain the Emperor's Grand Vizier throughout his entire reign in the new canon.
I feel that the Emperor would use human-first movements, but not personally care about them one bit. Humans do seem to dominate the military, but it may be, "I'll use human supremicists here... this alien race serves my goals and is good at this so I'll use them there... I'll make sure they have a rivalry so neither will threaten me...".
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Q99 wrote:
Galvatron wrote: Nothing would surprise me at this point. The Empire's anti-alien bias from the old EU was kinda turned on its ear when it was decided that Mas Amedda (not Sate Pestage) would remain the Emperor's Grand Vizier throughout his entire reign in the new canon.
I feel that the Emperor would use human-first movements, but not personally care about them one bit. Humans do seem to dominate the military, but it may be, "I'll use human supremicists here... this alien race serves my goals and is good at this so I'll use them there... I'll make sure they have a rivalry so neither will threaten me...".
I suspect it is human for the same reason that the overwhelming majority of the Rebel Alliance is. Humans are the numerical majority in the galaxy and thus it makes sense that if you are tailoring a military for someone, it is them due to budget constraints. It is the same reason that the US military has height limits for fighter pilots. With such a large population it is more efficient to select pilots that fit rather than modifying the vehicles to fit. This isn't a setting like Mass Effect in which humans are one of many species. They are overwhelmingly the majority. It is a universe in which man has domesticated the galaxy.

Back to the original subject, a comment one of those articles made was that Alderaan wasn't genocide because there was more than one human world. By that logic, The Holocaust wasn't genocide either because there were other ethnic groups in Europe at the time.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Re: the Death Stars.

The first death star was just about to blow up Yavin, so you could argue the destruction of the First Death Star was self-defense. The Second Death Star is more shaky, but it was a trap, and crimes can be thrown out of court because of entrapment.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

if one wanted to paint the Rebellion a darker shade..

It was organized by politically displaced aristocracy seeking to reclaim power they believe is their birthright. Their motive is a far cry from "liberty", Mon Mantha and the Organa dynasty simply want the political sway they once held restored.

Wanting to throw in TFA and the run up material for it...just serves to prove the above.

The Empire by contrast was developing the much neglected Outer Rim, correcting a wrong that Core World power plays during the Republic era enabled.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Though the rebels do lot of shitty things that harm civilians - like torping civilian shipping and supporting some terrorist movements - in the end, only one side is blowing up civilian planets.
When do any of these happen? Are you referring to incidents in the old EU?