First canon LGBT coming soon

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

dragon
Sith Marauder

First canon LGBT coming soon

Post by dragon »

Star Wars is about to get its first official gay person. Moff Mors, a character in Paul S. Kemp's upcoming Star Wars: Lords of the Sith novel, will become the first LGBT character in official Star Wars canon when the book is released in late April. Shelly Shapiro, editor at Star Wars book publisher Del Rey, confirmed the addition of the character during an interview on Big Shiny Robot's "Full of Sith" podcast. Mors, who is a lesbian, is described as an "incredibly capable" Imperial leader who spends much of the book working to prevent "absolute failure."

"Moff Mors is a lesbian"

Shapiro said that Mors will become the first officially recognized LGBT character in Star Wars canon, but noted that gay characters have been referenced in other media set in the galaxy far far away. Two male Mandalorians, Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur, were married in Karen Traviss' Legacy of the Force books, and BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic video game, released in 2003, allowed for the possibility of same-sex relationships between the player and their AI companions.

Despite these nods, Star Wars has generally done a poor job of recognizing the existence of LGBT people — no openly gay characters appear in the movies, and the references to homosexual relationships that are present in the games and books can be skipped by the player or misinterpreted by the reader. The message was inconsistent, too: while BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic made same-sex relationships possible, spiritual successor The Old Republic only allowed for heterosexual relationships between players and AI characters at launch. On the game's official forums, BioWare censored the words "homosexual," "lesbian," and "gay," and community managers shut down topics discussing the issue of same-sex relationships, saying in 2009 that "these are terms that do not exist in Star Wars."

"Game developer BioWare previously said "gay" was not a term that existed in Star Wars"

BioWare went some way to making amends in 2013 with the release of The Old Republic's first expansion pack, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which introduced Makeb — a new planet that offered the possibility for the player to pursue same-sex relationships. The developer was criticized for apparently shepherding all of the galaxy's gay people onto one planet, but the move at least countermanded the directive that LGBT people simply don't exist in a universe alongside pig-people, magic mountains, and genetically engineered talking Ewok pilots.

Mors' introduction and official recognition comes shortly after the entire Star Wars expanded universe was blown up. The hard reboot may have wiped away some 30 years of stories, but thankfully it also seems to be clearing Star Wars' strange blind spot for LGBT characters, and ushering in a new, more inclusive take on sci-fi's biggest series.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: First canon LGBT coming soon

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think its strange that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Empire more diverse since a lot of the Empire's traditional characterization could be summarized as "space Nazis". Still, nice to see gay people are welcome in Star Wars now.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's nice... not really sure why it mattered though. I guess there wasn't much diversity before, but romantic subplots have always been less of a focus than the overall plot and the pew-pews (and generally not done as well, either). I can see why it would matter more in games and other interactive material as there's more character building and interaction with the universe, but from a literary standpoint I see it as being somewhat filling a need that wasn't really there. But it's not a big deal and doesn't hurt anybody, so whatever, I guess... good for 'em.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

My mind couldn't help wandering into how Lucas might have treated a same sex relationship given his inability to write the heterosexual ones in the prequels he is more familiar with. I shuddered.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

C-3PO doesn't count?

This is all silly because SW is more or less asexual to begin with.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think its strange that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Empire more diverse since a lot of the Empire's traditional characterization could be summarized as "space Nazis". Still, nice to see gay people are welcome in Star Wars now.
Well they could be setting her up to defect...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Elfdart wrote:This is all silly because SW is more or less asexual to begin with.
I agree, I suppose they're now able to check an item off their diversity list, but I would've preferred if they just introduced the character without fanfair. I believe we're past the point about making a big deal about fictional characters' sexuality, which was important at first to highlight the issue and raise awareness. Now it's more important to start treating them as no different than any other character so that eventually the audience will too.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Star Wars isn't asexual. Saying it is is utter bullshit. No, the films at least don't contain graphic sexuality (I'm not sure if the same can be said for all of the EU), but their are very clearly heterosexual couples and Episode III shows Anakin and Padme in bed together.

If you do that and then have no gay characters whatsoever, it sends a very clear message: one is considered normal/acceptable and the other is not.

I agree that gay characters should be treated the same. That's the fucking point.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

This seems like just introducing a gay character to get press.

Star Wars is all space battles and dudes covered in white being impaled by throbbing, glowing shafts. Usually there isn't many opportunities for ones sexual orientation to come into play save the main characters. How do we know Obi Wan wasn't gay just going by the movies alone? How about Wedge or Tarkin (yes I know both had hetero relations in the EU but that shit is thankfully dead, gone, never existed and Daala is no more and hopefully stays that way), neither had a lady hanging on their arms? Jango Fett had a kid by cloning rather then knocking some proud Mand'oh Klingon warrior lady up, might he be gay?

The fact is unless you are seeing someones relationship or they come right out and announces their orientation for some reason, you would never know someone is gay. Gay people are for the most part not obvious stereotypes. Gay guys can be just like regular dirty action movie loving guys but when they read Playboy they really are reading the articles, lesbian wimmenfolk can be just like regular fashion obsessed gossipy ladies other then the fact when they discuss crushes their crushes ain't Brad but Angelina. Straight people can act what would be considered stereotypical gay. My point is you can't just look at someone and be all like "they're gay" for the most part.

Hopefully Moff Mors orientation is dropped in the book organically if it even comes up. Again, space battles and pink missiles with flared head penetrating holes and causing a massive explosion, most of the time relationship stuff ain't going to come up.........heehee.

I do hope this isn't just a set-up to have a defection, I'd like some more humanization of the Imperials. They might be the bad guys but they are still human beings (mostly) and many probably aren't even bad people, just unfortunately working for a evil space wizard.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Joun_Lord wrote:This seems like just introducing a gay character to get press.
I have to agree. Though in terms of equality it can't hurt, though I doubt the new movie would feature one.
Joun_Lord wrote:Star Wars is all space battles and dudes covered in white being impaled by throbbing, glowing shafts. Usually there isn't many opportunities for ones sexual orientation to come into play save the main characters. How do we know Obi Wan wasn't gay just going by the movies alone? How about Wedge or Tarkin (yes I know both had hetero relations in the EU but that shit is thankfully dead, gone, never existed and Daala is no more and hopefully stays that way), neither had a lady hanging on their arms? Jango Fett had a kid by cloning rather then knocking some proud Mand'oh Klingon warrior lady up, might he be gay?
I could actually buy that Obi-Wan and Jango are gay. Obi-Wan loved Anakin like a brother and in the ROTS novelization mentioned he knew him as intimately as a lover*. As for Jango, if one is going for the Mandalorians = Spartans angle he might actually be gay. It would certainly explain why he had a cloned son rather than a natural one. I wonder if anyone else in the SW galaxy decided to do this? I would presume there would be a taboo against the practice.

Though more seriously, Clone Wars is still considered canon and it gave Obi-Wan a love interest, Satine(a Moulin Rouge reference). Oddly enough she was leader of a more peaceful Mandalore. He even mentioned that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she had asked. But she had her duties to her people.

*In any case I don't think the novelizations are still canon, especially not that one, given the massive inconsistencies with the Clone Wars series. It was also talking about lightsaber combat. Though as you mentioned there is something phallic about it. Is it a coincidence that all lightsaber duels are between men?
Joun_Lord wrote: I do hope this isn't just a set-up to have a defection, I'd like some more humanization of the Imperials. They might be the bad guys but they are still human beings (mostly) and many probably aren't even bad people, just unfortunately working for a evil space wizard.
I'm surprised that such a character is Imperial in the first place. It would have made far more sense for it to be a Rebel character as they are generally said to be much more open minded about who can serve. I wonder if it would be a hidden secret for her character in a commentary on the US military's similar historical policies.

Though I have to say having a lesbian as a ranking Imperial soldier is rather stereotypical in a different sense. That to do that sort of work one has to be masculine in one way or another.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote: I do hope this isn't just a set-up to have a defection, I'd like some more humanization of the Imperials. They might be the bad guys but they are still human beings (mostly) and many probably aren't even bad people, just unfortunately working for a evil space wizard.
I'm surprised that such a character is Imperial in the first place. It would have made far more sense for it to be a Rebel character as they are generally said to be much more open minded about who can serve. I wonder if it would be a hidden secret for her character in a commentary on the US military's similar historical policies.

Though I have to say having a lesbian as a ranking Imperial soldier is rather stereotypical in a different sense. That to do that sort of work one has to be masculine in one way or another.
A lot of rebels are ex-imperials, so there is nothing remarkable about a defecting gay imperial officer...:)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Star Wars isn't asexual. Saying it is is utter bullshit.
Romance and sexuality certainly don't play as big a role in them as pew-pew space battles and Evil Wizards and whatnot. Heck you could remove all instances of romance from the OT and it wouldn't affect the plot. The PT would require only a slight rewrite but you could easily have Anakin going emo over losing his best friend in the whole galaxy or something rather than his wife.
No, the films at least don't contain graphic sexuality (I'm not sure if the same can be said for all of the EU), but their are very clearly heterosexual couples and Episode III shows Anakin and Padme in bed together.

If you do that and then have no gay characters whatsoever, it sends a very clear message: one is considered normal/acceptable and the other is not.
So a movie must contain clearly-designated homosexual characters in addition to heterosexual characters or, what, it's homophobic?
I agree that gay characters should be treated the same. That's the fucking point.
Then don't do press releases about how it's your first gay character, otherwise:
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Adamskywalker007 wrote: Though more seriously, Clone Wars is still considered canon and it gave Obi-Wan a love interest, Satine(a Moulin Rouge reference). Oddly enough she was leader of a more peaceful Mandalore. He even mentioned that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she had asked. But she had her duties to her people.
You know, this crops up time and time again in the newer SW material. From Padme straight from Lucas's story boards to Obi-Wan here. I get that there are some monastic things going on with the Jedi but where did this "I am a leader of a state thus I can't be married or distracted by a love interest!" thing come from? It certainly isn't informed by real life from historical heads of state from 100+BC to today. Other powerful leaders from military officers to CEOs to celebrities of all stripes do just fine being married in the vast majority of examples. There certainly are examples of single powerful heads of states, but in general that is the exception. What gives?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Patroklos wrote:
Adamskywalker007 wrote: Though more seriously, Clone Wars is still considered canon and it gave Obi-Wan a love interest, Satine(a Moulin Rouge reference). Oddly enough she was leader of a more peaceful Mandalore. He even mentioned that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she had asked. But she had her duties to her people.
You know, this crops up time and time again in the newer SW material. From Padme straight from Lucas's story boards to Obi-Wan here. I get that there are some monastic things going on with the Jedi but where did this "I am a leader of a state thus I can't be married or distracted by a love interest!" thing come from? It certainly isn't informed by real life from historical heads of state from 100+BC to today. Other powerful leaders from military officers to CEOs to celebrities of all stripes do just fine being married in the vast majority of examples. There certainly are examples of single powerful heads of states, but in general that is the exception. What gives?
I think its supposed to be they are so dedicated to their job that they can't have time for a love interest. Like Jedi they are to be focused solely on the job. If Padme is any indication they start training them very young like the Jedi, I think it was Episode 2 that mentioned she was part of a political youth training program well before she was Queen (she was queen at 14 so she started training a bit later then Jedi but still probably preteen). So for some like Padme and Satine becoming a politician is akin to joining the Jedi Order, the same full dedication, same monk like lifestyle that eschews a private life, and starting ridiculously early.

Though it is not the same for all politicians. Bail Organa had a wife despite being a head of state (or his wife was) and a Senator.

The giving up possessions thing definitely wasn't part of it considering how wealthy most Senators were said to be and owning shit like that souped up airspeeder stolen by Anakin and Obi in Ep2 (that was a Senators) along with Bails own sweet airspeeder in Ep3 he used to pick up Yoda after he got served.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Balrog wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Star Wars isn't asexual. Saying it is is utter bullshit.
Romance and sexuality certainly don't play as big a role in them as pew-pew space battles and Evil Wizards and whatnot. Heck you could remove all instances of romance from the OT and it wouldn't affect the plot. The PT would require only a slight rewrite but you could easily have Anakin going emo over losing his best friend in the whole galaxy or something rather than his wife.
No, the films at least don't contain graphic sexuality (I'm not sure if the same can be said for all of the EU), but their are very clearly heterosexual couples and Episode III shows Anakin and Padme in bed together.

So a movie must contain clearly-designated homosexual characters in addition to heterosexual characters or, what, it's homophobic?
Then don't do press releases about how it's your first gay character, otherwise:
You can try to downplay it, but romance and sex are present, at least subtly and sometimes not subtly, in both trilogies of films as well as other material (and they do impact the plot).

No, their don't have to be gay characters in every movie. But when a franchise of over half a dozen movies, multiple TV shows, and god knows how many books and games has not one gay character despite the presence of multiple obviously heterosexual characters, it sends a pretty clear message about what is welcome/considered acceptable and what is not.

And why shouldn't their be a press release? It doesn't mean press is the only motivation. This is a noteworthy story, and frankly they're probably going to be asked about it weather they make a press release or not. It shouldn't be a big deal, but sadly we don't live in that world yet.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I think its supposed to be they are so dedicated to their job that they can't have time for a love interest. Like Jedi they are to be focused solely on the job. If Padme is any indication they start training them very young like the Jedi, I think it was Episode 2 that mentioned she was part of a political youth training program well before she was Queen (she was queen at 14 so she started training a bit later then Jedi but still probably preteen). So for some like Padme and Satine becoming a politician is akin to joining the Jedi Order, the same full dedication, same monk like lifestyle that eschews a private life, and starting ridiculously early.

Though it is not the same for all politicians. Bail Organa had a wife despite being a head of state (or his wife was) and a Senator.

The giving up possessions thing definitely wasn't part of it considering how wealthy most Senators were said to be and owning shit like that souped up airspeeder stolen by Anakin and Obi in Ep2 (that was a Senators) along with Bails own sweet airspeeder in Ep3 he used to pick up Yoda after he got served.
I think it has more to do with writers being lazy or not understanding how real people work. "How do show someone is dedicated and serious about their job creatively without beating them over the head? Ah fuck it!"

I was a member of Model UN and Model NATO in high school and college. It didn't require me to be a sexless alien relative to my fellow humans. Does anyone think Obama is unserious about his job because he is married? Sure people might think he is incompetent at it or just bad at it because he wants to go somewhere different than their desires, but unserious? Kublai Khan? Napoleon? FDR? No. Its just hack writing.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Joun_Lord wrote:
Patroklos wrote:

I wouldn't assume that Naboo is typical for the galaxy in the age of its politicians. Different worlds have different systems.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Patroklos wrote:
Adamskywalker007 wrote:Though more seriously, Clone Wars is still considered canon and it gave Obi-Wan a love interest, Satine(a Moulin Rouge reference). Oddly enough she was leader of a more peaceful Mandalore. He even mentioned that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she had asked. But she had her duties to her people.
In at least some such cases, the leader-figure is contemplating taking on a new love interest in the middle of a crisis. Which is actually a time when a normal person might stop and go "uh, wow, is this really a good time for me to be dating someone new?" Just because you're interested in someone doesn't mean it's a good idea to take your relationship with them to the next level in the middle of a shooting war.

It's quite normal for people to say "I like you, but I really don't think I'm ready to date heavily/get married/whatever until AFTER I deal with all this crazy crap."

Another (speculative) possibility is that the Jedi code of 'there is no attachment' has spread and permeated into other cultures in the Star Wars setting- so that this brainbug actually exists in the story and actively gets into people's heads, that they should seek to avoid being 'distracted' by relationships when they have something important to do.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't there a lesbian cat woman in one of the Kotor games?
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Anacronian wrote:I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't there a lesbian cat woman in one of the Kotor games?
Juhani? Yes and no, technically she was intended as a lesbian but it was never stated in-game.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Isn't that the thing though? Should the have to SAY they are a lesbian or gay or anything else? People in real life are not in a habit of doing that if you don't know you in general. We generally assume that one way of the other and are probably often wrong. We are assuming all previous characters were straight. In a world where we were just discussing people making excuses for not having public relationships for dubious reasons, perhaps we shouldn't do that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If the characters are in romantic/sexual relationships, its going to be kind of obvious what kind of person they're involved with, and when Star Wars consistently shows only one kind of romantic/sexual relationship, the implications of that are not pleasant.

And while in the real world someone can be gay without it being apparent, in a story the characters are whatever the writers make them, so if they don't convey it somehow, it isn't there. They don't to make a big deal about it. Just have gay characters living their lives and having relationships like anyone else.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Joun_Lord wrote:This seems like just introducing a gay character to get press.

Star Wars is all space battles and dudes covered in white being impaled by throbbing, glowing shafts. Usually there isn't many opportunities for ones sexual orientation to come into play save the main characters. How do we know Obi Wan wasn't gay just going by the movies alone? How about Wedge or Tarkin (yes I know both had hetero relations in the EU but that shit is thankfully dead, gone, never existed and Daala is no more and hopefully stays that way), neither had a lady hanging on their arms? Jango Fett had a kid by cloning rather then knocking some proud Mand'oh Klingon warrior lady up, might he be gay?

The fact is unless you are seeing someones relationship or they come right out and announces their orientation for some reason, you would never know someone is gay. Gay people are for the most part not obvious stereotypes. Gay guys can be just like regular dirty action movie loving guys but when they read Playboy they really are reading the articles, lesbian wimmenfolk can be just like regular fashion obsessed gossipy ladies other then the fact when they discuss crushes their crushes ain't Brad but Angelina. Straight people can act what would be considered stereotypical gay. My point is you can't just look at someone and be all like "they're gay" for the most part.

Hopefully Moff Mors orientation is dropped in the book organically if it even comes up.
Well said.
AniThyng wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I think its strange that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Empire more diverse since a lot of the Empire's traditional characterization could be summarized as "space Nazis". Still, nice to see gay people are welcome in Star Wars now.
Well they could be setting her up to defect...
That has EXTREMELY unfortunate implications. Other readers may think:

1) Gay people are morally superior than heterosexual people. (Yes, Han is straight, Leia is straight, Luke is straight... but so are Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo, who had the blood of MILLIONS on their hands.) Expect right-wingers to go nuts over this implication.

2) Gay people are inherently untrustworthy, as you cannot trust them to remain loyal to a cause they swore allegiance to. We know the Emperor (and by extension, his Empire) is evil, because as moviegoers, we have an objective view of him and his actions. But the average Imperial citizen, who has no such view, has only Imperial propaganda to go on- propaganda that specifically describes the Rebels as being as bad as the Separatists who killed millions during the Clone Wars. If you simply have this citizen switch sides without putting him (or her) through extensive trials in which he's forced to question himself, his beliefs, and his every action, uncertain what is truly right and what is truly wrong... then he looks like one of those idiot kids who go to the Middle East to fight for the Islamic State.

I'd rather Mors remain loyal, and try using the political and military authority her position grants her, to do good- even good "from a certain point of view." The Empire is building war machines in a factory? Good! The workers in the factory are employed, they can put food on their tables, the local economy is in good condition, the local government finally has enough funds (taxpayers' money) to support an arts program...
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

The Romulan Republic wrote: You can try to downplay it, but romance and sex are present, at least subtly and sometimes not subtly, in both trilogies of films as well as other material (and they do impact the plot).
How do they impact the plot? The only hint of any sort of romance in ANH is a throwaway scene between Han and Luke. In ESB there is clearly a romance between Han and Leia which continues on into RotJ but it is entirely self-contained and, were it removed, would have no effect on the greater story arc of Luke redeeming his father. There's also absolutely zero romance in TPM unless you want to count Anakin's "angel" comment as an attempt at romance. It's only really AotC and RotS where romance and thus sexuality plays a noticeable role and its removal would require some rewriting, but the overarching story of Anakin's misguided desire to prevent people he cares about from dying doesn't necessarily require he be in a relationship with another person.
No, their don't have to be gay characters in every movie. But when a franchise of over half a dozen movies, multiple TV shows, and god knows how many books and games has not one gay character despite the presence of multiple obviously heterosexual characters, it sends a pretty clear message about what is welcome/considered acceptable and what is not.
Oh bullshit. Let's ignore the fact that in the old continuity there were gay characters as the article in the OP indicated, few as they were, and concentrate on the here and now. Art is under no obligation to address any and every social justice issue as though it is created in a vacuum and must present positive stereotypes in a valiant struggle against the forces of ignorance. Nor is its silence on a given matter some sort of implicit endorsement. Or are we to take up idea that the Star Wars franchise condones animal cruelty since, over the course of six movies, two TV shows, and however many books have come out recently, we've never had anyone express opinions like "We need to protest the Geonosians for using animals to conduct executions" or "For shame on Jabba the Hutt for keeping a Rancor in his underground dungeon, doesn't he know these wild animals will die in confinement and need to roam free?!"?
And why shouldn't their be a press release?
Because this isn't twenty years ago where showcasing a gay character anywhere close to a positive light was groundbreaking, because it feels exactly like "Hey we dig diversity too! Give us more monies for being much progressive." If you're going to have a homosexual character and the issue of their sexuality is relevant to the story, then keep the revelation organic to the story. Then if someone reading/watching said story catches onto this fact and makes a news story about it later, you can respond with a simple "Yeah they're gay, so what?" and move on as though it were no big deal. Because it isn't, and the sooner that becomes mainstream the better it will be for people.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Patroklos wrote:You know, this crops up time and time again in the newer SW material. From Padme straight from Lucas's story boards to Obi-Wan here. I get that there are some monastic things going on with the Jedi but where did this "I am a leader of a state thus I can't be married or distracted by a love interest!" thing come from? It certainly isn't informed by real life from historical heads of state from 100+BC to today. Other powerful leaders from military officers to CEOs to celebrities of all stripes do just fine being married in the vast majority of examples. There certainly are examples of single powerful heads of states, but in general that is the exception. What gives?
I think people are reading too much into that statement. It was more the case that it was an issue with a politican having a relationship with a Jedi who left the order for her. Given that both Padme and Satine would have still had to deal with the Jedi in some capacity, it would be rather difficult for them to do so with a lover who was a former Jedi. It would be even worse if Obi-Wan or Anakin had the relationships while Jedi. The Jedi claim to be completely impartial on issues*, it is hard to do this when their members are involved in relationships with political figures.

* Obviously they don't actually do this, it is simply the party line.
Balrog wrote:Oh bullshit. Let's ignore the fact that in the old continuity there were gay characters as the article in the OP indicated, few as they were, and concentrate on the here and now. Art is under no obligation to address any and every social justice issue as though it is created in a vacuum and must present positive stereotypes in a valiant struggle against the forces of ignorance. Nor is its silence on a given matter some sort of implicit endorsement. Or are we to take up idea that the Star Wars franchise condones animal cruelty since, over the course of six movies, two TV shows, and however many books have come out recently, we've never had anyone express opinions like "We need to protest the Geonosians for using animals to conduct executions" or "For shame on Jabba the Hutt for keeping a Rancor in his underground dungeon, doesn't he know these wild animals will die in confinement and need to roam free?!"?
Not that I disagree with you overall, but as for animal cruelty, isn't the fact that the bad guys are the ones doing it a statement against it? We've never had anyone directly express the opinion that the Death Star was morally wrong. Characters are shocked by what it is capable of but they never directly say it is wrong.