First canon LGBT coming soon

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Tychu
Jedi Master

Re: First canon LGBT coming soon

Post by Tychu »

I always hated the belief that some people have that it needs to be published that a company hired, a book had one. It's the same thing that the boards were discussing a few months ago about a female Doctor or a black 007. Who cares?!?! I know there are people in massive camps on both sides, but if it's done for shock value that's what gets people mad. Just do it and see what people notice or care.

On the subject of Hutts, Hutts change gender depending on age sooooo…

And in canon, Jabba had a flamboyant uncle, so depending on how you categorize the Hutts, the idea of this Moffs status as the first LGBT character in cannon is put in doubt.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Not that I disagree with you overall, but as for animal cruelty, isn't the fact that the bad guys are the ones doing it a statement against it? We've never had anyone directly express the opinion that the Death Star was morally wrong. Characters are shocked by what it is capable of but they never directly say it is wrong.
Those were just the ones which immediately came to mind, we also have our Plucky Young Hero whom we're meant to identify with admitting he shoots small animals in his free time (clearly a sign he will later develop into a psychopath!) and instances of the good-guy Space Wizards using their mind-control powers (clear violation of an animal's free will!) on innocent bystander animals to put them in danger.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

I'm hoping that this character is better written then the article is implying.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think its strange that they seem to be going out of their way to make the Empire more diverse since a lot of the Empire's traditional characterization could be summarized as "space Nazis". Still, nice to see gay people are welcome in Star Wars now.

Oh, they weren't welcome before? That's new.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Patroklos wrote:
Adamskywalker007 wrote: Though more seriously, Clone Wars is still considered canon and it gave Obi-Wan a love interest, Satine(a Moulin Rouge reference). Oddly enough she was leader of a more peaceful Mandalore. He even mentioned that he would have left the Jedi Order for her if she had asked. But she had her duties to her people.
You know, this crops up time and time again in the newer SW material. From Padme straight from Lucas's story boards to Obi-Wan here. I get that there are some monastic things going on with the Jedi but where did this "I am a leader of a state thus I can't be married or distracted by a love interest!" thing come from? It certainly isn't informed by real life from historical heads of state from 100+BC to today. Other powerful leaders from military officers to CEOs to celebrities of all stripes do just fine being married in the vast majority of examples. There certainly are examples of single powerful heads of states, but in general that is the exception. What gives?
I think its supposed to be they are so dedicated to their job that they can't have time for a love interest. Like Jedi they are to be focused solely on the job. If Padme is any indication they start training them very young like the Jedi, I think it was Episode 2 that mentioned she was part of a political youth training program well before she was Queen (she was queen at 14 so she started training a bit later then Jedi but still probably preteen). So for some like Padme and Satine becoming a politician is akin to joining the Jedi Order, the same full dedication, same monk like lifestyle that eschews a private life, and starting ridiculously early.

Though it is not the same for all politicians. Bail Organa had a wife despite being a head of state (or his wife was) and a Senator.

The giving up possessions thing definitely wasn't part of it considering how wealthy most Senators were said to be and owning shit like that souped up airspeeder stolen by Anakin and Obi in Ep2 (that was a Senators) along with Bails own sweet airspeeder in Ep3 he used to pick up Yoda after he got served.
However, providing heirs and thus stability to the ruling elite WAS a huge part of thier job for 1000s of years. I doubt it would be much much different, even in the old republic.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As far as I know, there's no reason to believe that most worlds' government in the Old Republic are hereditary, and being a Senator explicitly is not.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Mind you, there *are* some worlds with royalty and/or nobility, and there are corporate families such as the Kuat dynasties that have been around for a very long time and would de facto fill that position. There used to be more in the EU, of course...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, even the presence of royalty isn't conclusive since, as I recall, Naboo's queen is elected, however that works (though I don't recall the source for that).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, even the presence of royalty isn't conclusive since, as I recall, Naboo's queen is elected, however that works (though I don't recall the source for that).
Yeah, there are some oddities like Naboo. Some titles at least are probably hereditary although we cannot assume that they actually confer responsibility, such as Leia Organa and her adoptive father (Prince/Princess). I imagine the Republic doesn't care much about what governing system its worlds use as long as they follow a general set of rules (don't oppress the population, don't mess with other systems, etc).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I love how this thread is full of straight people talking about whether there need to be gay people in star wars, and whether they should do a press release about it.

That is just fantastic

</Sarcasm>

No, we dont live in a world where sexuality does not matter. You can tell because gay teenagers in the US are still bullied to death, legislation still gets passed targeting us for discrimination, and the most common LGBT character on television is still a comedic stereotype of a gay man. Dont even get me started on the near complete erasure of bi and trans people from media in general.

Of the major sci-fi franchises, there have only been two with any LGBT characters. Babylon 5, and nBSG. Given the size and cultural influence of both Star Wars and Star Trek, that is a fucking shame. That puts them behind DC comics--the original home of Women in Refrigerators--in that respect.

You People (by which I mean straight people) get to sit around in your Privilege (which you need to check, by the way) and think that having a shitload of heteronormative relationships and imagery is "asexual". It is not. There is nothing asexual about that metal bikini (In fact, Jabba and the Princess' interactions were more than slightly rapetastic), there is nothing asexual about Anakin Skywalker and his fall from grace, there is nothing asexual about Han and Leia's relationship, and nothing asexual about the unconsummated romance between Obi Wan and a certain Mandalorian Dutchess. All of which are major plot and character elements.

Having a literary universe that expansive without a single openly LGBT character constitutes pointed erasure.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

1. Kindly refrain from making generalizations about what straight people think as if we are a homogenous group of oppressors and bigots. I posted something similar to what you said regarding how Star Wars is not asexual and not having gay characters sends a message that gays are not welcome. You may consider that irrelevant when claiming that all straight people hold certain views, but I do not appreciate being branded with opinions I do not possess.

2. I would count Doctor Who under major sci-fi franchises.

Edit: Doesn't invalidate the point that their is a lack of good depictions of gay people, of course. I just find it irritating that Doctor Who isn't considered a major franchise.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Kindly refrain from making generalizations about what straight people think as if we are a homogenous group of oppressors and bigots.
Sorry, I was not directing my comments toward you, but others who I can name. I should have been somewhat more precise in my wording. Some of the comments in this thread hit some rage buttons.
2. I would count Doctor Who under major sci-fi franchises.
I am just not familiar enough with Dr. Who to comment.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It is understandable that you would be angry, of course. I just don't like it when people make unjustified assumptions about others or misrepresent my position.

And seriously, familiarize yourself with Doctor Who. While I'm probably not the best person to judge weather its depiction of LGBT people is intelligent, respectful, or realistic, its featured quite a few gay and bisexual characters since it came back in 2005 (as I recall, the show runner when they first brought the series back was gay, so that might have something to do with it).

And its also just a really fun show, provided you have a high tolerance for camp and absurd plots.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Of the major sci-fi franchises, there have only been two with any LGBT characters. Babylon 5, and nBSG. Given the size and cultural influence of both Star Wars and Star Trek, that is a fucking shame. That puts them behind DC comics--the original home of Women in Refrigerators--in that respect.
The SW films don't exactly have a great track record with female characters either, with only a single major character in each trilogy. Though hopefully the new trilogy will improve things in that respect.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2. I would count Doctor Who under major sci-fi franchises.

Edit: Doesn't invalidate the point that their is a lack of good depictions of gay people, of course. I just find it irritating that Doctor Who isn't considered a major franchise.
There is also the third Mass Effect, which introduced gay and bisexual love interests for Shepard. Though it did take them until the third game(in 2012), with only alien Liara barely counting before that as a bisexual character. But she(as well as all asari) was intended to appeal to the straight male demographic. And even in the third game, there are only two gay love interests for male Shepard in contrast to six straight options. For FemShep it is almost inverted, with more female love intersts than male. So it is clearly based on the straight male gaze, even in the best offering.
The Romulan Republic wrote:And seriously, familiarize yourself with Doctor Who. While I'm probably not the best person to judge weather its depiction of LGBT people is intelligent, respectful, or realistic, its featured quite a few gay and bisexual characters since it came back in 2005 (as I recall, the show runner when they first brought the series back was gay, so that might have something to do with it).
I wonder if the fact that it is British is mostly why. It seems less of an issue there than even liberal circles in America.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well I would say it's more about being (Western) European then British per se, the Nordic countries are as liberal if not more so then the UK. Sure there's some countries in Europe that are more like the US in this matter (especially if you count Russia as part of Europe) but in general the kind of active homophobia that US has is no where as common here.

That said wasn't there a gay couple in the Legendaries, male mandalorians IIRC.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:You People (by which I mean straight people) get to sit around in your Privilege (which you need to check, by the way) and think that having a shitload of heteronormative relationships and imagery is "asexual". It is not. There is nothing asexual about that metal bikini (In fact, Jabba and the Princess' interactions were more than slightly rapetastic), there is nothing asexual about Anakin Skywalker and his fall from grace, there is nothing asexual about Han and Leia's relationship, and nothing asexual about the unconsummated romance between Obi Wan and a certain Mandalorian Dutchess. All of which are major plot and character elements.

Having a literary universe that expansive without a single openly LGBT character constitutes pointed erasure.
Spot on; reading all those responses about how asexual Star Wars was got me pretty riled up as well. The behavior of ignoring blatant straight privilege and the total heteronormativity in the universe is the LGBT version of thinking that racial issues won't exist if we pretend that race doesn't matter at all (It's very much in the vein of that "Racist Flag" South Park episode. They really fucked up there).

I think it's great that they're adding some LGBT characters. Whatever the reasons are for including them, I could not care any less as long as their inclusion is done tastefully.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Well shit, the Tumblrinas have showed up. (not that I'll name names but they know who they are </sarcasm>)

I no more think there should have been a press release about the first SW LGBT character (which technically isn't correct since there were LGBT characters in the old canon) then there should have been one before ESB making a big deal about how Billy Dee was going to play the first major character of color in the Star Wars franchise. It smacks of tokenism, which is even worse than having no minority representation. It's not enough that a minority character is included for any reason if it's a bad reason. But whatever, just call use straight people who don't know what we're talking about, like I haven't heard that one before.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring