Palpatine's first name revealed

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: Palpatine's first name revealed

Post by Metahive »

Know what? Let's do a Top-10 of goofy SW names. Here's mine, in no particular order:

1.Salacious B. Crumb
2.Bib Fortuna
3.Sio Bibble
4.Elan Sleazebaggano
5.Daultay Dofine
6.Ludo Kressh
7.Biggs Darklighter
8.Attichitchuk
9.Bollux
10.Borsk Fey'lya
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Screw it, my headcanon has him called Tim now, because that;s just hilarious :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

"I goona fookin' sheev ye' till ya get and palpitate, mate!" :lol:

:wtf:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Havok wrote:I always thought Darth was just short for DARk lord of the siTH as a kid. I think Lucas made up some BS about it being Dark Father, but as the name was around before Vader was actually Luke's dad, I doubt it and I'm probably correct.
I thought that was literally what it means in Dutch?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

IIRC, Vader means "father" in Dutch. Darth is just something he made up that sounds similar to "Dark".
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Screw it, my headcanon has him called Tim now, because that;s just hilarious :D
And he will assist Luke in defeating the Killer Ewok of Caerbannog by giving him the Holy Lightsaber of Antioch.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If you go back through the original treatments and stories and even early drafts, Darth was just a name, and like I said, he wasn't Luke's father originally. Lucas is kinda full of shit when it come to the history of Star Wars. Or maybe he just doesn't remember. Either way, that Darth Vader ever meant "Dark Father" is bullshit in my opinion and more likely than not, and this is reflected in the later movies, Vader was just a play on Invader, not some clever play on father full of foreshadowing.

After reading all the other versions of the history of Star Wars and how it came about and the processes from the other people involved, Lucas's versions seem less and less accurate.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Metahive wrote:Now that I think of it, "Sheev" sounds like "schief" which is German and means "crooked", "askew" or "slanted". It's used with several negative connotations in certain idioms like "Schiefe Bahn" lit. "crooked path" which means "criminal career".

I wonder if it's intentional?

Sheev Bahn Palpatine would work
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

cmdrjones wrote:
Metahive wrote:Now that I think of it, "Sheev" sounds like "schief" which is German and means "crooked", "askew" or "slanted". It's used with several negative connotations in certain idioms like "Schiefe Bahn" lit. "crooked path" which means "criminal career".
Actually, it sounds almost like "Scheel Bahn", meaning "suspicious passenger train" :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

"Sheev" sounds a little . . . inelegant for someone who was Naboo nobility - compare it with "Padme Amidala". I would have preferred something longer that flowed well, or that had a mythological connection IRL. "Tiamat Palpatine" (pronounced "Tie-matt").
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'll take that back. I think Cosinga II would be the best, since it helps re-enforce Palpatine's decision to dump his first name and go only by his surname.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Irbis wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:
Actually, it sounds almost like "Scheel Bahn", meaning "suspicious passenger train" :lol:

LOL I think that's an excellent name for him:
The Emperor's name elicits in me a deep seated feeling of unease about mass transit... I think I shall walk.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"