Changes to EU

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Changes to EU

Post by Battlegrinder »

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary- ... -page.html

Not sure if anyone else has seen this yet, but apparently Disney is having the EU be fully canon as they start the new franchise (which puts a few of the more persistent Trekkie arguments to rest, finally). Thoughts?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: Changes to EU

Post by Dalton »

It's already being discussed in the sticky thread, but no, that doesn't make the EU fully canon.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

In fact, it's pretty much the exact opposite. The old EU is essentially de-canonized. They might incorporate elements of it down the road, but as of now, at this moment in time, it is non-canon.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Post by Battlegrinder »

RogueIce wrote:In fact, it's pretty much the exact opposite. The old EU is essentially de-canonized. They might incorporate elements of it down the road, but as of now, at this moment in time, it is non-canon.
Oh. Well that sucks. On the plus side, at least I'll be able to deflate a few of the more obsessive Mando-wankers I know, now that all the books they base that stuff on don't exist.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given how much of the EU majorly sucked...
And there's nothing keeping Disney from recanonizing the parts of the EU they like.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Chewbacca's in the movie, and the movie is in 34ABY. So the NJO is out, since in that Chewie died in 25 ABY. On one hand, they do need to start fresh and do their own thing, but there are elements worth saving.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I won't be surprised if some EU stuff is used in the films. Abrams is a Star Wars fan and his Star Trek movies were full of references to old stuff, sometimes to the detriment of the films.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Honestly I have to say that I have no mixed feelings about this issue. As a kid, I was newer much of a SW fan. I loved the movies with a passion to be sure but I have newer read and probably will not ever read a single piece of EU material. It's always been that stuff I know is there but don't give dam about. Thus quite naturally this entire situation has me feeling angry, betrayed and basically hating disney.

Does it make sense? Hell no. But that's how it is.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

One argument I've read about this change in EU status is that it might really negatively affect the sales of the new tie-in novels (if any). The old tie-in novels sold a ton because they were sold to fans as being the official continuation of Star Wars, but now that's gone and it's all non-canon, and if Disney decides to re-boot Star Wars yet again in a decade or so this one will get pushed aside as well. Will the new books sell as well, or will they be like the old Star Trek novels where they sell in reasonable numbers and nobody really cares?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Guardsman Bass wrote:One argument I've read about this change in EU status is that it might really negatively affect the sales of the new tie-in novels (if any). The old tie-in novels sold a ton because they were sold to fans as being the official continuation of Star Wars, but now that's gone and it's all non-canon, and if Disney decides to re-boot Star Wars yet again in a decade or so this one will get pushed aside as well. Will the new books sell as well, or will they be like the old Star Trek novels where they sell in reasonable numbers and nobody really cares?
I think they will sell average numbers to low. There was a lot of crap in EU, but I really don't see what Disney can do for it to not sound repetitive with something that's already out there, unless they do grab some big names to do it. I guess we'll just wait and see.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Irbis wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:One argument I've read about this change in EU status is that it might really negatively affect the sales of the new tie-in novels (if any). The old tie-in novels sold a ton because they were sold to fans as being the official continuation of Star Wars, but now that's gone and it's all non-canon, and if Disney decides to re-boot Star Wars yet again in a decade or so this one will get pushed aside as well. Will the new books sell as well, or will they be like the old Star Trek novels where they sell in reasonable numbers and nobody really cares?
I think they will sell average numbers to low. There was a lot of crap in EU, but I really don't see what Disney can do for it to not sound repetitive with something that's already out there, unless they do grab some big names to do it. I guess we'll just wait and see.
Yeah, it's kind of the same problem with Trek. Every story that can be told has been told and you're running the risk of recycling old plots.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah, it's kind of the same problem with Trek. Every story that can be told has been told and you're running the risk of recycling old plots.
That's probably why they went with the plot they did in the reboot. Nobody ever destroyed Vulcan before. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Borgholio wrote:
That's probably why they went with the plot they did in the reboot. Nobody ever destroyed Vulcan before. :)
That's precisely why Vulcan-A went kaboom -- and Amanda Grayson with it.

Kurtzman and Orci wrote the destruction to demonstrate shake things up and demonstrate that nobody was safe.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

JME2 wrote:

Kurtzman and Orci wrote the destruction to demonstrate shake things up and demonstrate that nobody was safe.
Frankly, if they really had wanted to shake things up they would have blown up Earth. Vulcan played so little a role in the old continuity, it's disappearance would have made little difference there either.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's a big "wow" event because Vulcans play a prominent role in the Star Trek canon by way of the major Vulcan characters. Having a major Federation world actually be permanently destroyed, rather than losing an irrelevant colony or having a core world enter "endangered until we save it with time travel" status, is new as a Star Trek plot.

On the other hand losing Vulcan does not change the history of the Federation all that much in and of itself, you're right. Unless we posit a lot of Vulcan cultural influence behind the scenes, and I'm not sure that was ever a thing. Although it would tend to explain the relatively pacifist and 'rationalized' culture of the TNG era.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Metahive wrote:
JME2 wrote:

Frankly, if they really had wanted to shake things up they would have blown up Earth. Vulcan played so little a role in the old continuity, it's disappearance would have made little difference there either.
It would have almost made sense as it would have made Spock more unique in Starfleet. Following from the rarity of Vulcans, Into Darkness was interesting in that underestimating Spock was Kahn's one major mistake which was caused by their near absence in the galaxy at that point.

As a side note this is the third thread where this was discussed.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Will they finally be allowing the X Wing Ebooks to be published in the UK again? Whilst I'm sure German is a useful language to know, I'm not planning on learning it anytime soon.....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0