Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Post by seanrobertson »

APlayerHater wrote:I recall from some incredible cross sections book or something that Chewie's bowcaster is auto-cocking for some reason.

Me? I had a few beefs with this movie.

A: I agree, the resistance is a stupid idea. What happened to Ackbar's mon calamari fleet? Now they have what looks to be 10 x wings with which to destroy an entire planet. How can you have a resistance when your faction is in control of space politics? Or is the new republic so limp wristed useless and weak after only 20 years that they just let the Knights of Ren walk all over them and kidnap children en masse to form their army?
As I understand it, the New Republic and Imperial Remnant(s?) signed a non-aggression pact of some sort. The First Order was already in violation of that when they built Finalizer-class Star Destroyers but, to keep the peace, the Republic didn't take any official action about that. Instead, they supplied the Resistance with weapons, supplies, etc.
A1: Why is the New Republic, and it's entire fleet, all stationed on some random planet somewhere I've never heard of. Shouldn't their fleet be out, I don't know, patrolling the galaxy or something? Or at least on coruscant? Can Abrams not make a movie without destroying a planet?
That did seem really stupid. Maybe it was just the bulk of their fleet? View the Starkiller attack as a kind of Pearl Harbor (plus several large nukes deployed against the SW equivalent of Washington, D.C. and other big centers of government, naturally :D).
B: Starkiller base: Why do we need another death star? Can starkiller base move? Did they convert an entire planet into a giant gun only to be able to fire like 2 shots? Because it looked like it had totally absorbed the star at that point. So basically, there was no point in destroying it because after it had fired its second shot it would have been rendered useless anyway.
The Starkiller can enter hyperspace, yes.
B1: How did the remnant possibly have the resources to build an entire planet into a deathstar in 20 years without anybody noticing? Is that why they didn't want the rebels finding the plans to the deathstar in ANH? Because now it seems completely rational to think that the rebels in ANH could have used the Deathstar plans to build their own Deathstar to counter the empire's Deathstar. I mean, at this point why not? Makes equal amount of sense.
The OT Rebels didn't have the resources to counter a Death Star with something comparable.

I know what you're going to say: the First Order probably shouldn't have such resources, either. Well, who says they did? Apart from Hux's statement that the FO "built" Starkiller, it's entirely possible -- in my opinion, even probable -- that it was under construction before the Empire fell. That might seem like a contradiction, but it doesn't have to be. I buy scale models that I very much build myself, but all of the necessary components are right there, in the box; all I have to do is glue the pieces together.
B2: How are they main characters able to see the beam shot from starkiller base? Should it take thousands of years for the light to reach them? Or was Maz Kanata's base conveniently in the same solar system as the republic's home planet?
I don't think Takodana was in the same system, so I have no explanation for this. I vaguely recall some talk about how the nature of the Starkiller beams, traveling through hyperspace and what-not, had something to do with their unnatural visibility, but then, we all know it's just lazy writing on JJ's part since he did the same stupid shit in "Star Trek."
B3: Was starkiller base just a lame excuse to destroy the republic in 1 second so the empire can be in control in time for episode 8? How do you destroy the republic by blowing up one planet? Why was the fleet parked on a planet? What is going on?
It took out their capitol and at least a decent portion of their fleet, so yeah ... it was a cheesy device to tighten the focus of the story on the Resistance and First Order.
C: Phasma: Boba Fett, but at least Boba Fett didn't come across as a traitor and a coward. Weren't these people supposed to have some kind of mind control mental conditioning from birth? But between TR8R, Finn and Phasma, it doesn't seem to have worked. Is this whole movie have a stealth scientologist anti-psychology message?
She did come across pretty lame. I don't know that I'd characterize her as a traitor and coward, though: even a brave, loyal soldier is liable to disregard orders when she has a gun pointed at her head. I reckon she assumed lowering the shield wouldn't make much difference anyway -- that the FO would still win.
C1: They threaten to use clones in this movie if the stormtroopers screw up. Pause. Is there any reason they're not using clones? As I recall, the clones in the clone wars worked perfectly. They were perfectly loyal soldiers. They were programmed with secret orders for years and none of them ever spilled the beans about order 66. Sidious trusted them enough to carry out the most important part of his plan to kill the jedi so he could overthrow the republic. But no, kidnapping and brainwashing children seems to be going much better for them.
In the current canon (bleh, I hate saying that), the only cloners we know are on Kamino. If the FO doesn't have access or sway over Kamino, well ... *shrugs* Maybe a cloned army isn't as practical for them as it was for the Old Republic/Empire?
D: Finn: A janitor who remembers the layout of an entire planet. He can walk around with a lightsaber out in a warzone without getting shot. He can go toe-to-toe with a force user in a swordfight and not instantly lose, and yet is shown throughout the entire movie as being totally useless. He is soldier trained from birth, and if every stormtrooper is as much of a socially awkward, poorly trained basket case as he is that would explain a lot. He can't shoot, he can't fight, he can't fix weapons and seems to have no experience with weapons. And yet he was brought on Kylo Ren's secret mission to find this map for some reason, and he is allowed to go out into the field on missions despite having in depth technical data for the KoR's secret planet destroying base.
Calling him a janitor could be a misrepresentation. We know he had sanitation duties at some time or another; that could've been a punishment detail or something many or even all FO Stormtroopers are assigned to during their training.

I also disagree that he's totally ineffectual in combat, and it also might be a stretch to say he has "in-depth technical data" on the Starkiller. What did he really tell us about the thing? I'd have to check the script, but all I remember is that he described its fuel source, maybe something about shield oscillation and/or some vague talk about taking out the weapon's fuel containment mechanisms. That doesn't really strike me as more profound than, "Hey, it drains stars, light can get through the shield* and if you blow up some stuff inside the thing, it will mess it up." :)

*The light through the shield thing's obvious to anyone since, as we see in the film, the surface is nicely lit up when Starkiller orbits a star.
D1: That fight with Finn and TR8R: What is this weapon that TR8R is using? I recall him getting several hits in on Finn and Finn doesn't even notice. Is that shock prod even a weapon? That fight isn't even fair: If TR8R hits Finn, which he does, a lot, Finn isn't even fazed, and if Finn hits TR8R TR8R instantly dies. Wow, what a good fight....... . . . . . . Maybe he should have just shot Finn with a gun.
I don't really remember that part well enough to comment. I think I later murmured something to my fiance about how TR8R should've been Phasma; that way, she could've at least gotten to do something other than get body slammed by Chewie.
D2: Stormtrooper armor is now susceptible to poison gas attack. Um... Aren't these space suits? Why would you ruin stormtrooper armor in a throw away line, especially when using gas against stormtroopers isn't even a plot point, Rey and Finn are just panicking and about to accidentally kill themselves.
Couldn't agree with you more here ... that was just fucking DUMB. Mind you, the novelization does note that Stormtrooper helmets do have filters for toxic agents, but they're not standard issue or the masks' "default" setting. Something silly like that.
E: Kylo Ren: I found him to be potentially interesting, but everything I find interesting about him might have just been a mistake on the writer's part, and they might totally ruin him in the next movie. I assume he touched Darth Vader's helmet, had some kind of vision and assumed he had some great destiny and thought uncle Luke was holding him back or something.
I rather liked him ... the Sith wannabe, the kid who worships his grandfather but doesn't measure up. He strikes me as largely untrained but possessed of enormous potential -- power that Snoke has perhaps let him explore mostly on his own.

As for the helmet, you could be right. Apparently Snoke turned him against Luke, but that could have easily been by introducing him to tales of his granddaddy's power and adventures in the Dark Side.
E1: That whole fight with Finn and Rey made no sense. People say: Well, he'd been shot. But the one who should be shot is the fight choreographer, because at no point during the fight was he moving sluggishly, or barely staying awake, or suffering from debilitating pain or anything. He does a samurai thing and punches his own wound, but otherwise he seems to have no problem moving around. But at the same time he inexplicably barely keeps up with a janitor who has no force powers and whose only experience with a lightsaber is awkwardly hold it and walking around a battlefield like he was lost. Either show him being wounded and losing the fight that way or don't and have him win.

Here's how that fight should have gone down: Kylo Ren walks up to Finn, knocks the lightsaber out of his hand and steps on his face, then maybe picks him up with the force and slams him against a tree. Same outcome, saves you confusion and wasting 10 minutes.

Either that or have him, clearly, barely staying alive and conscious, and moving very awkwardly and sluggishly, to make be believe that Finn could stand a chance. Film is a visual medium, so show me some visuals telling me the story that Kylo Ren has been shot.
No real argument here. I wasn't put off by this at the theatre, but then, I've only seen it once.
F: Rey: Now Rey was a fine character, but she is a Mary Sue. She had secret jedi training as a baby that was conveniently mind wiped, making her the best at everything. She's better at shooting a gun than Finn (trained from birth as a soldier). Given a pistol she misses once, then immediately kills every storm trooper that enters her line of sight, despite the fact I don't think she's ever held a gun before. She mind controls Daniel Craig despite not even knowing the jedi mind trick is a thing that exists. She can fix the millennium falcon and can understand both BB8 and Chewbacca, despite no character ever in the history of the series ever having been able to understand Droid speech, and only Han could ever understand Chewie. She can pilot the millennium falcon well enough to hit a tie-fighter with the main turret just by doing a backflip and having Finn pull the trigger, with the gun unable to turn, and in atmosphere on a planet with gravity. Anakin's lightsaber also literally calls out for her, and seemingly flies into her hand of its own accord despite Kylo Ren's attempts to pull it (how kylo can stop a blaster shot in mid air but can't move a 1 pound piece of metal 5 feet is beyond me. Was he out of force points? Did he need to recharge his batteries?).
Her sheer power in the Force could explain some of those things. Luke was totally untrained and he made a "great kid! That was one in a million" shot that experienced Rebel pilots couldn't. He outshot Stormtroopers on the Death Star, and we don't know if he'd even held a blaster carbine before then. In the next movie, he trained with Yoda for what ... a few months, maybe? Yet, by the time he got to Bespin, he wasn't completely steamrolled by Vader, who'd been training with a lightsaber and using the Force for decades.

Compare the two, and I concede that several of Rey's feats still stick in my craw; e.g., flying the Falcon like she did and the mind trick. But I don't have a major problem with her understanding Wookiee, or droid-talk. She could've easily been exposed to both on Jakku. I touched on the shooting thing. Remember, Force users "see things before they happen," which permitted an untrained Luke to outshoot Stormtroopers, untrained Anakin to win the big pod race and, for that matter, how many times did we see Leia whip up on some Stormies? (SW: Rebels would seem to suggest she had combat training, but I've only seen snippets of this season.)

Bottom line: she is a Mary Sue, I concur, but with a couple of exceptions, it didn't take me out of the story.
You might defend Rey. You might say: Oh, well, she worked as a scrapper. Yeah? Well by that logic Steven Avery should be some kind of renaissance man savant. She has no training, none, nobody (except for bs flashbacks) in flying, shooting, hacking doors, using the force, sword fighting, stealth, and yet it's only the first movie in a trilogy and she can already outpace all the OT characters in their fields of expertise. Just look how many times Luke and Han totally miss in the ANH shootout scenes on foot and in the scene where they are using the turrets to fend off the TIE Fighters tailing them.
Also look at how many times Luke, Han and Leia shot a bunch of Imperials. And I seem to remember that they destroyed all of the TIEs pursuing them ;)

Don't misunderstand me: I'm aware Han had been in scrapes before, so yeah, it's not as if he'd be a bad shot. Leia might've had some training as part of a Rebel cell pre-ANH. But I think you're discounting how much of a Force multiplier the Force actually affords, if you'll pardon the bad pun. Luke simply flying into the Death Star trench when most of their 30 fighter force couldn't even get close has Gary Stu written all over it; that he went on to fire the impossible shot, and in a ship he'd never operated no less, defines him as a Gary ... it's even got his picture next to the term in the nerd's dictionary! :D

Indeed, if it turns out that she had previous training but her memories were suppressed for ... whatever reason(s) *shrugs again*, feats like the mind-control and lightsaber prowess will be akin to an amnesiac riding a bike: once learned, it's easy to pick up again.
And if Rey did have secret training then wow. Looks like Luke trained a 5 year old better than his star pupil Kylo Ren. No wonder Kylo turned to evil.
He was wounded, as you yourself pointed out. And Kylo was not Luke's daughter, as we suspect Rey is. Luke is supposed to be much more powerful than Leia, so perhaps Rey inherited more "Force genes."

I say that partly tongue-in-cheek, but recall what Snoke said about sensing an awakening in the Force. Doubt that was Luke. He sensed someone extraordinarily powerful, much as Palpatine felt a disturbance about Luke in "TESB."
G: Maz Kanata: Yoda, except even older(Unless she's not 'literally' 1000 years old like they say in the movie) and wiser(?) because she doesn't have a speech impediment. Where did she get Anakin's lightsaber? Did she just find it floating around Bespin? How does she have Anakin's podracing flag at her base? Is she a huge Anakin fangirl?
Heh, those are great questions.

I figure some dude working on the lower levels of Cloud City found the lightsaber, pocketed it and sold it later for a bunch of credits.

The podracing flag ... ?! I have no guess about that.
*snip*
Come to think of it, the millennium falcon didn't have a key either. And they left the door wide open while it was just sitting there. You'd think one of these slaves working for bread rations on this planet could just walk in, start it up, and go literally anywhere. Go to Tatooine. Go anywhere. The new republic is so great that being a slave is now worse than ever.
You'd think it would have an inhibitor chip or something, yeah. I suppose most of the people on Jakku A, aren't pilots or B, those who are are scavengers from other systems and already have their own ships.
J: Snoke: Why would you hire Andy Serkis to play a character who doesn't move? Does Serkis have to play your CG character for you to get any street cred?

J1: And here I thought Darth Vader's destiny to bring balance to the force and destroy evil had any meaning whatsoever. Thanks for making the prequels noncanon, JJ. No, really. Thank you.
It depends on what it means by bringing balance to the Force. The Jedi thought that meant destroying the Sith, right?

Anakin did that. Snoke and company are evil, but they strike me as low-rent Dark Siders, a'la the Nightsisters or Ventress. And who knows? Maybe in a roundabout way, Anakin's son or grandkids will take things a step further.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

I know its late but I'm going to say what I thought of the force awakens. I loved it I thought it was great but my favirets still are the empire strikes back and revenge of the Sith. I could tell it was a JJ Abrams film but I liked that it felt new and fresh and I love the new cast and characters. Kylo Ren was a vary interesting villain and BB8 is so CUTE AND AWSOME :D. I do have some critisisms though such as the fact that the story was structured vary much like a new hope and the fact that they could see the destruction of the Hosnian system from Takodana. I don't get why JJ cant get at least a little bit of science right. On the hole though for me the film was awesome and any criticism is outwade by all all the good and awsomness the film had.

By the way I don't think Rey is a Marry Sue. she hase flaws like any other character. She stays on Jakku eaven though she knows deep down inside that her perents are not coming back and she keeps rejecting the call to adventure multiple times. I found a realy good articule wich talks about this subject http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... 59dcbad45b and it give some really good explanations for some of the things we see Rey do.
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Personally I don't see not realizing how superior you are to normal people as a flaw. Her flaws are she's too humble and she can't face the idea that her parents aren't coming back.

Every time someone defends Rey I always just hear them excitedly saying more things that make her awesome. It's like she's so great even her flaws are great. She doesn't have stupid flaws like luke being a whiner or han being a cynical murderer who cares only about money/himself. She has much better flaws, like being too humble and too nice, yet she isn't naive or overly trusting either.

She beats up 2 thugs on jakuu like it's something she's used to having to do but she's not mistrusting or cynical or defensive. She lives alone with no parents in a 3rd world country (planet) but she's sociable, well educated, well fed and healthy. Did she never have to visit the space dentist for a space cavity?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Perhaps Force sensitives are less susceptible to illness/injury?

As I recall, there's some evidence from the films that Force users have greater physical durability.

Edit: As to her personality, some people are just naturally nicer and less cynical than others. Although she did seem to be a bit distrustful/isolated at first (BB-8 had to practically force her to take it with her).
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

I wouldn't wanna take some droid with me. I'd have pawned that thing for my fifty portions or whatever. Then I'd throw my portion packets down in a big pile and sleep on them. I'd make it rain.

And sure, jedi probably have special plot armor forcefields to survive jumping and falling 10 stories onto some lady's cloud car and not being killed by grievous in one punch. And I know that Rey has her "I was a 5 year old darth revan" backstory. It just seems like the force is getting a little out of hand in how powerful it is.

Even Kylo Ren, powers-wise, makes vader look like a joke. Guess he put all his points in force stasis.

I hope Finn and Poe never become jedis
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

How is Kylo more powerful than Vader? Anikin demonstrated far more power than KR ever did in the same age. And even if you just go by the original movies you have to modify every display of force by Vader to account for the fact that he is by that time essentially a quadriplegic in a full body prosthesis.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TRR wrote:Perhaps Force sensitives are less susceptible to illness/injury?
As I recall, there's some evidence from the films that Force users have greater physical durability.
Also, it's third world by Star Wars standards. Their technology is so far beyond the real world that what to us is first-rate medical care and feeding may be completely normal in even the shittiest places in the galaxy for them.

As for Rey being a better shot than Finn, count the number of misses on the few occasions he actually gets to use a blaster.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

All anakin ever seemed to do was beat people at sword fights. Otherwise, he lifted a pear once. He might have moved some debris off of Obi wan but I don't quite recall.

He could have force choked those kids, but I'm pretty sure the hologram showed him cutting them with a lightsaber.

As Vader he choked some people and threw some stuff at Luke. He failed to mind read Leia. He did guess that Luke was thinking about his sister in Jedi, but I dunno if he got any more info. And he briefly telepathy'd luke in Empire. He also deflected a blaster with his hand in Empire, but his gauntlets were supposedly some kind of mandalorian crush gauntlets or something and blaster proof.

Not sure if I forgot anything.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You DO know there's such a thing as the Clone Wars animated series, right?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Batman wrote:You DO know there's such a thing as the Clone Wars animated series, right?
I forgot. Never seen it.

So are the lightside/darkside siblings canon? Or mandalorian lightsabers?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

APlayerHater wrote:I wouldn't wanna take some droid with me. I'd have pawned that thing for my fifty portions or whatever. Then I'd throw my portion packets down in a big pile and sleep on them. I'd make it rain.

And sure, jedi probably have special plot armor forcefields to survive jumping and falling 10 stories onto some lady's cloud car and not being killed by grievous in one punch. And I know that Rey has her "I was a 5 year old darth revan" backstory. It just seems like the force is getting a little out of hand in how powerful it is.

Even Kylo Ren, powers-wise, makes vader look like a joke. Guess he put all his points in force stasis.

I hope Finn and Poe never become jedis
Kylo seems stronger than Vader in the OT, probably because of effects limitations at the time they were made.

RotS Vader and Vader in Rebels pull off comparably impressive feats.

Also, remember that a Force user's effectiveness will vary greatly depending on state of mind. I think that's probably a big part of why Ren lost the final duel in the film. His internal conflict.

Remember "Do, or do not. There is no try."?

And "I don't believe it." "That is why you fail."?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, while we're on the subject, I think Rebels' "The Siege of Lothal" is probably the best representation of Vader at his peak as a Sith Lord. Vader in the OT was, I think, "over the hill" a bit, and conflicted about what to do (at least in the second and third films). While RotS Vader had vast power but was reckless, undisciplined, and comparatively inexperienced.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject, I think Rebels' "The Siege of Lothal" is probably the best representation of Vader at his peak as a Sith Lord. Vader in the OT was, I think, "over the hill" a bit, and conflicted about what to do (at least in the second and third films). While RotS Vader had vast power but was reckless, undisciplined, and comparatively inexperienced.
there's also the matter of image. What Kylo Ren is doing as essentially bragging thru use of Force powers since he needs to project the image of "a powerfull dark side user you should fear!" even to himself, Darth vader doesn't need brag as he is a powerful dark side user that people fear without any use of the Force, so his use of the Force is more understated and sudtle.

basically even saying the name "Darth Vader" strikes fear in people so for the most part Vader restricts himself to sudtle enforsment of that image, while the name Kylo Ren does not strike fear in people so Kylo Ren to has to resort to show offy uses of the Force to cause fear in his enemies.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, Darth Vader is a way cooler sounding name than Kylo Ren. ;)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Apart from that, Kylo Ren didn't seem to strike fear into anybody. Subordinates casually turning around and walking away because' Great. The kid is having another tantrum' doesn't look like people were particularly scared of him.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

What did you expect them to do, run out screaming?

I think that his own men, at least, are intimidated. After all, he may be a conflicted, insecure wanker with pretensions of being the heir to Vader, but he's still a murderer with dark powers in a position of authority over them.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'd expect them to be too scared to abandon their post. The reaction of the Stormtroopers was essentially 'God, not that shit again.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Were they posted their, or just passing through before deciding to take a different route less likely to involve getting hit by a sabre or flying debris?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

They had their weapons in hand. You generally don't do that if you're just on your way from the gym to the galley.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

APlayerHater wrote:
Batman wrote:You DO know there's such a thing as the Clone Wars animated series, right?
I forgot. Never seen it.

So are the lightside/darkside siblings canon? Or mandalorian lightsabers?
Yes they are canon.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Lord Revan wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject, I think Rebels' "The Siege of Lothal" is probably the best representation of Vader at his peak as a Sith Lord. Vader in the OT was, I think, "over the hill" a bit, and conflicted about what to do (at least in the second and third films). While RotS Vader had vast power but was reckless, undisciplined, and comparatively inexperienced.
there's also the matter of image. What Kylo Ren is doing as essentially bragging thru use of Force powers since he needs to project the image of "a powerfull dark side user you should fear!" even to himself, Darth vader doesn't need brag as he is a powerful dark side user that people fear without any use of the Force, so his use of the Force is more understated and sudtle.

basically even saying the name "Darth Vader" strikes fear in people so for the most part Vader restricts himself to sudtle enforsment of that image, while the name Kylo Ren does not strike fear in people so Kylo Ren to has to resort to show offy uses of the Force to cause fear in his enemies.
I do kind of disagree here. Kylo, while he throws temper tantrums, never appears to kill any of his subordinates as far as I've seen. He might not have that kind of authority, but I saw him as a more "good" Vader in that respect.

Vader doesn't really kill his underlings like a crazy person outside of Empire, but he kills 2 or 3 admirals over and honest mistake and lets a Star Destroyer get blown up just to catch one ship. He must have been really pissed at Han Solo for shooting him in the Deathstar battle to go so far out of his way just to catch the Falcon. And at that point I'm not sure what his interest was, because he didn't seem to know Luke was his son or that Han Solo was Luke's friend at that point. I suppose he was able to sense which rebel base was correct by Luke's presence, and I suppose he could have looked at the security camera footage from the DS to see that Luke and Han at least knew each other. I know the cell block cameras were destroyed but I'm sure there were other cameras on the Deathstar.

Maybe Rey and Obi have an "invisible to security cameras" power, but you just kind of have to accept that there are no security cameras, or automated security of any kind, in science fiction. Not even the Star Ship Enterprise seems to have any cameras onboard.

- Uh, anyway. Ren doesn't seem to hold any ill will toward his allies, or at least I don't think so. He is unlike vader in that regard, who tries to kill high up people who question him or make an honest mistake. Sure, he uses flashy powers all the time, but he doesn't create a culture of fear by killing his subordinates willy nilly. I can only assume Phasma will get away scot free despite spilling the beans and letting at least a few thousand stormtroopers die, and their super expensive weapon get blown up, just to save her own skin.

Assuming she didn't just die when the deathstar blew up. If that's the case, good job Phasma. You did it.
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

whoops. Accidental duplicate post.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Batman wrote:Apart from that, Kylo Ren didn't seem to strike fear into anybody. Subordinates casually turning around and walking away because' Great. The kid is having another tantrum' doesn't look like people were particularly scared of him.
There is that maybe, but more probably "I don't want to be the next thing he takes out his anger on." Essentially the recognized him as dangerous.
Batman wrote:They had their weapons in hand. You generally don't do that if you're just on your way from the gym to the galley.
So they are patrolling. So what. Do you think they are forced to follow a line on the floor or something?
APlayerHater wrote: Vader doesn't really kill his underlings like a crazy person outside of Empire, but he kills 2 or 3 admirals over and honest mistake and lets a Star Destroyer get blown up just to catch one ship.
One. He kills one a Admiral. And I see nothing wrong with losing a single destroyer to capture the Empire's most wanted. Its no different than sending cops to raid a building knowing they are armed inside. Some police might die, we do it anyway. And it worked. They did find them.
Last edited by Patroklos on 2016-03-22 03:20am, edited 2 times in total.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

dp
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Well, there's a comical sideplot where he kills all of Firmus Piett's superiors throughout the movie so Piett can work his way up the chain of command to admiral.