Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Irbis »

RogueIce wrote:That assumes it can fire while the blade is activated.
With the writing quality in the show, I bet you soon he will not only firing it while deflecting, but the trailer of Ep 7 will "inspire" them to make him hold a trigger to create hilt :lol:
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Just got done watching the broadcast. They've done worse. They were trying for a psychological drama with the trial, but of course it's a kid's show; it was pretty dark but nothing spectacularly so.

In other news, next week's episode is called "Idiot's Array," as in the sabaac hand. And the preview shows Zeb sitting across a sabaac table from a black guy. All we see is the back of his head, but Billy Dee Williams is on the cast list. You figure it out. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's called 'Sabacc'. Double c at the end, only one a after the b in the middle.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Whatever, hadn't looked at the word in years.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

EhBoy...

An "Idiot's Array", if I recall, is how Han won the Falcon....
OH, I hope not
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

My coming attraction last night was about the droid. Nothing about playing sabacc. Plus it's in 2 weeks. Gotham is off next week too, what's going on next week that I don't know about?
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AniThyng wrote:That does strike me as a remarkably dark and disturbing concept to put in what is basically a kid's show...
It also sounds extraordinarily stupid, but that is par the course for this show as well.

Probably one of those stupid concepts out of the Old Republic...
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Rogue 9 wrote:In other news, next week's episode is called "Idiot's Array," as in the sabaac hand.
*sigh*

Is it just me who finds this stupid? Or at least unoriginal? Wasn't "Idiot's Array" basically royal flush in poker - unbeatable, rare hand? Yet, it seems everyone ever only wins sabacc with this. I know math is hard for writers, but you'd expect people to grasp how hard it is to get a hand better than one or two pairs :?
Thanas wrote:Probably one of those stupid concepts out of the Old Republic...
The irony being, up to KotOR 2 every single description of OR Jedi made them better working and less dysfunctional version of organisation shown in the prequels. Death trials is something more reserved for the Sith, not Jedi, what with their focus on individual strength and brute-forcing challenges...
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I assumed it was hyperbole/myth to contribute to the fear of the test of facing and defeating your fear.

The idea that masters or pupils would be killed during training of such sort in the Jedi Order is pretty stupid... especially if it truly was Yoda giving them open advice to pass the test.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Irbis wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:In other news, next week's episode is called "Idiot's Array," as in the sabaac hand.
*sigh*

Is it just me who finds this stupid? Or at least unoriginal? Wasn't "Idiot's Array" basically royal flush in poker - unbeatable, rare hand? Yet, it seems everyone ever only wins sabacc with this. I know math is hard for writers, but you'd expect people to grasp how hard it is to get a hand better than one or two pairs :?
Worse than that; as I recall it's actually a hand of the lowest cards in the deck (and the eponymous Idiot card normally means you just lose) and the only thing it beats is the royal flush equivalent. :P

As for the preview, here.
Spoiler
If I were to take my bets, that's exactly what's about to happen, Lando has the Idiot's Array, and losing Chopper is going to be the source of drama for the episode. :P
Edit: Looking it up, the game is more like blackjack than poker (with 23 being the break point rather than 21) and the Idiot's Array is having the Idiot (0), a 2, and a 3, literally read as 23.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Darth Tanner wrote:I assumed it was hyperbole/myth to contribute to the fear of the test of facing and defeating your fear.

The idea that masters or pupils would be killed during training of such sort in the Jedi Order is pretty stupid... especially if it truly was Yoda giving them open advice to pass the test.
Which I suspect it was. What do you think he spent 20 years hanging around on Dagobah having warm velvety muppet sex with himself? No.

As for the corpses, they seemed symbolic to me. They were basically mummified and there is no telling how long they have been in there. Seriously, bodies dont last long in that condition if ANYTHING can get at them. They were in flanking positions, all nice and symmetrical. Had life been on the line, there would be more of them and not so evenly arranged.

Maybe at some point a couple masters committed ritual suicide when their apprentices failed to pass and the order used their bodies for symbolic purposes.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Or those corpses were a "force Illusion" like Darth Vader in the Dagobah cave, a first test in a sence, to see if you can keep your cool when seeing a pair of dead bodies.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So I have just one question, and it's Lando's own from about ten years later: "Only the fighters are attacking, I wonder what those Star Destroyers are waiting for."
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So. Spoiler
The good Senator was clearly a plant from basically the beginning of the chase, when the rebels commented on how surely he must have had to flee the Empire before, and it only got more and more ham-fistedly obvious as it went on and he started openly asking about their operational capabilities and contacts. To their credit, Hera cottoned on fairly quickly, but an experienced double agent, which he surely must be if he's been doing this stunt for years, shouldn't have been so stupidly obvious to begin with.
At least the Empire is making a semi-credible effort to catch them, though, which is an improvement.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spoiler
It's possible that he under estimated the intelligence and experience of the crew of the Ghost and got careless due to arrogance
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Lord Revan wrote:Spoiler
It's possible that he under estimated the intelligence and experience of the crew of the Ghost and got careless due to arrogance
Spoiler
It is also possible that the plan failed, and he was trying to get as much as he could ad hoc
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Spoiler
Spoiler
It is also possible that the plan failed, and he was trying to get as much as he could ad hoc
it's possible as we don't have the whole story here, it's kind of impossible to say for sure though.
Spoiler
as we don't know what the orginal plan of the mole or his imperial handlers was, we can't say for sure was it a case "Plan A failed, Plan B try to get as much info as possible" or "collected as much info as possible on the rebel cell"
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I can't watch the show where I live, but how is it in terms of scale? From what I've read, it seems as if it's only five persons hanging around Lothal. Have I gotten the wrong idea?
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Mange wrote:I can't watch the show where I live, but how is it in terms of scale? From what I've read, it seems as if it's only five persons hanging around Lothal. Have I gotten the wrong idea?
For now. They have not gotten into anything on the galactic scene yet. You are basically following a local resistance cell prior to the formation of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Sure they have some contact with [REDACTED], but that is about it. Mon Calamari wont be free for another few years, the death star is not finished, the Organas are not yet openly defying the empire, Mon Mothma is not in exile yet etc.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Also: Spoiler
Governor Tarkin was in the preview for next week's episode. Things had better get very, very dark, because if they don't they're basically fucking up his entire character.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Mange wrote:I can't watch the show where I live, but how is it in terms of scale? From what I've read, it seems as if it's only five persons hanging around Lothal. Have I gotten the wrong idea?
For now. They have not gotten into anything on the galactic scene yet. You are basically following a local resistance cell prior to the formation of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Sure they have some contact with [REDACTED], but that is about it. Mon Calamari wont be free for another few years, the death star is not finished, the Organas are not yet openly defying the empire, Mon Mothma is not in exile yet etc.
Thanks! :) I've only had the opportunity to watch the pilot and I was unimpressed (particularly by the art which looked cheap). I think it was a pity that the last arcs of TCW couldn't be finished.
Rogue 9 wrote:Also: Spoiler
Governor Tarkin was in the preview for next week's episode. Things had better get very, very dark, because if they don't they're basically fucking up his entire character.
I watched the preview. Spoiler
I thought it was terrible. Tarkin rolling his eyes and with an over-exaggerated body language. It didn't seem like Tarkin to me.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Spoiler
I thought it was terrible. Tarkin rolling his eyes and with an over-exaggerated body language. It didn't seem like Tarkin to me.
Spoiler
Tarkin's actual characterization was very good. From his dialogue to his general bearing. Sure he acts exasperated, but wouldn't you?
The animation... I could take or leave. Like all the star wars cartoons that have come before it, it is heavily stylized for some reason. I would prefer a bit more realism in my animation (imagine a star wars cartoon that uses traditional animation in the style of Gargoyles for example, as opposed to that angular BS from the 2003 series), but I generally make my brain ignore that deficit in favor of other things. Your mileage may vary.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This show has failed to develop its characters (besides the droid) to the point that if you were just to replace one with another generic character there would be little difference. There is no plot arc, not even multiple-episodes arc like the clone wars.

I complained about the Clone wars not being epic. This is even less than that - it is pretty minimalist. It doesn't fill me with wonder at all. So far, this could be just any generic plot without Star Wars. I don't think it even reaches the quality of the dreadful pirate arcs of Clone Wars.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

I finally got caught up with the show, and I have to ask. Is is just me, or did "Path of the Jedi" feel incredibly average to anyone else?
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.