Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The more people know, the more people Vader can mind read it from.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Plus, compartmentalization of information. If Kenobi doesn't want to play the rebel to the Empire, there is no point in telling people he's alive. He has his own job and its best if people think he's dead.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Honestly I does make sense that such high level information is on need to know basis, for we know Bail Organa didn't anyone the whole deal, IIRC Mon Mothma only refers to Obi-Wan as "your jedi friend" in Rogue One and doesn't mention him at all in Rebels so she could only know that Bail had Jedi friend in Tatooine who is in hiding for some but doesn't say if that jedi is a surviving padawan like Kanan Jarrus or a powerful Jedi Master like Obi-wan Kenobi.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Frankly, telling it to anyone is a huge risk when your enemies' leader and top agents can read minds, though I can see Bail telling one or two trusted allies just in case something happens to him. Mothma is probably not the ideal one, since as a Senator she'd likely be in proximity to Vader and Palpatine (unless she's already in hiding by the time she finds out), but she may have insisted on being kept in the loop as leader of the Rebellion. Leia makes a degree of sense as, while she's likely the last person Bail would want to endanger, she is also someone he can trust, who will eventually have to be filled in anyway.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They don't need to know at all so why telling any of them, even beyond Op Sec reasons (heck even in ROTS we see them memory-wiping C3PO lol). What, Bail's gonna go "OH EM EFF, as in Oh My Force, or Oh Em Em, Oh My Maker, I know this Jeddddiiiiii and like he's totally gone all hermit, like y'know! With these robes, gosh so Pre-66!" [/Alderaan Valley accent] to some random person, or over at dinner at the Rebel Alliance base, Raddus or Cassian just randomly asks "Hey does anyone here know any Jedi?" :P
Lord Revan wrote: Mon Mothma only refers to Obi-Wan as "your jedi friend" in Rogue One and doesn't mention him at all in Rebels so she could only know that Bail had Jedi friend in Tatooine
She wouldn't even have to know where he is. She might just know that he helped with the Jedi Underground Hyperlane thing beforehand...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

As I said, it makes sense to tell someone else just in case someone happens to Bail, and the Rebellion needs to be able to contact Kenobi. Plus their was the possibility that Leia would be trained by him eventually as well.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

True but that can be done with a "in-case something happens to me" recording, that's hidden with the location known to only few trusted associates, it could even be hidden as part of official instructions for Leia when the she succeeds him on the Alderaanian throne (or would have had not Alderaan been destroyed by the Empire).

There's no reason Leia needs to know that jedi master Obi-wan Kenobi is alive and hiding on Tatooine at this point. In the potential maybe not right this moment and the same applies to Mon Mothma. This is an universe where digital recording hardware does exist and is rather small as well.

EDIT:And while said hardware could be captured, one could encrypt and hide the files within seemingly innocent content so that only those who know they're there would know what to look for. It's harder to encrypt ones thoughts.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

But on the flip-side, their are fewer people, probably, who can "de-encrypt" ones' thoughts. Especially during the Imperial era.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

True but those people would have to know there's something hidden in those files to even attempt to decrypt them, It wouldn't be that odd for a public figure like Bail Organa to have set of instructions on what to do when he dies.

Also one doesn't have to be able to read thoughts to be able to "decrypt thoughts" so to speak, while not as relible as mind reading, normal interrigation can achive that as well. While torture is unrelible as a form on extracting intel it's not the only possible way. However you can't reveal what you don't know regardless of what methods are used.

EDIT:even people who aren't public figures can have set of instructions on what to do when they have died for example my materal grandfather wanted to be cremated (same might be true for my materal uncle I didn't ask there) and my family is neither famous nor has any major public figures in it.
Last edited by Lord Revan on 2017-03-20 05:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Yeah. But TWO , for certain who have no moral objections about reducing you to a plant, if needed.
Really, the need for security alone just underlines what a moron Ezra is. The LAST thing Obi-Wan, and the Alliance needs (Bail, especially) is some child, blundering and stumbling around, thinking he "knows everything!!" Jesus. Kid? Die heroic somplace, would ya?
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

:D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

If they don't get their asses SPANKED, even a little, then the entire use of Thrawn will have been a waste
Thrawn Uber Alles!
:twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Are we generally pleased with how this series is panning out? I remember there being a lot of doomsayers who thought it would be awful.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote:But on the flip-side, their are fewer people, probably, who can "de-encrypt" ones' thoughts. Especially during the Imperial era.
Do you forget the existence of Imperial torture droids? Vader even mentioned a "mind probe."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:But on the flip-side, their are fewer people, probably, who can "de-encrypt" ones' thoughts. Especially during the Imperial era.
Do you forget the existence of Imperial torture droids? Vader even mentioned a "mind probe."
Torture is actually a rather lousy way of extracting intel however I suspect that there's ISB experts that can peice together a fairly good picture of what you're hiding from what you say and more importantly what you don't say as I dout the Empire has a "right to remain silent" or due process for that matter.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

"Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable, it'll be some time before we can extract any information from her"
I have no doubt Vader was using the Force plus the IG-droid to augment the interrogation. But the intel they wanted there was time-sensitive, and I suspect Leia was unknowingly using the Force herself to resist. We DID see Maul read Hera like a dime novel, so it comes down to mental discipline I suspect. And the Force wouldn't hurt.

No, the show has gone well, in general. But there a few blights, like Ezra being unnecessary last ep, the flailing-arm retardo-droid stuff, descent into god knows what with singing droids.... But the finale could redeem a lot of that, if they don't blow it
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Mmm not sure how I feel about the finale. Had alot of face palm stuff....but also pretty things, rebels being punched in the face literally and figuratively. Thrawn needs better command staff.

R1/ANH is within spitting distance at the end
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

What a fucking waste of Thrawn as a character. They should never have used him in Rebels.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

I want to see SW vs ST battles now, after the one and only canon established that ISD turbolasers have the destructive power of a hand grenade and Interdictor's shields and armor can't stand pistol fire :D
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

To be fair, they were still trying to take prisoners. So low-powered shots en masse(and aren't those from the anti-fighter batteries shown in "Secret Cargo"?) to strip the shield and not kill the occupants afterwards.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

eMeM wrote:I want to see SW vs ST battles now, after the one and only canon established that ISD turbolasers have the destructive power of a hand grenade and Interdictor's shields and armor can't stand pistol fire :D
I like to imagine one of the ISD gunners was having great fun with Kanan.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

SAMAS wrote:To be fair, they were still trying to take prisoners. So low-powered shots en masse(and aren't those from the anti-fighter batteries shown in "Secret Cargo"?) to strip the shield and not kill the occupants afterwards.
You mean the octuple turbolaser turrets, four per side? Those are main batteries of the ISD-II.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

ray245 wrote:What a fucking waste of Thrawn as a character. They should never have used him in Rebels.
Geez, you make it sound like he died here or something.

Spoiler Alert: No he doesn't.
Spoiler
Actual spoiler: And he beats the pants off the rebels in the process of not dying. What exactly was wasted about him?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

SAMAS wrote:
ray245 wrote:What a fucking waste of Thrawn as a character. They should never have used him in Rebels.
Geez, you make it sound like he died here or something.

Spoiler Alert: No he doesn't.
Spoiler
Actual spoiler: And he beats the pants off the rebels in the process of not dying. What exactly was wasted about him?
He failed all his main objectives? It's not important to wipe out Rebel ships if the leadership survive. The Rebels are an insurgency, capable to rebuilding time and time again as long as the leadership is intact.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

He shouldn't have taken ground command, but his subordinates royally screwed up the blockade both before and after he did, and there was absolutely no way to predict what ultimately wound up saving the day no matter how much art he studied.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician