Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Reyvan
Youngling

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Reyvan »

Didn't Thrawn release a bunch of cloaked asteroids in orbit around Coruscant? If the New Republic hadn't kept the shields up, or if they'd failed to destroy the asteroids that could have resulted in massive civilian casualties.

He's not out to cause them, but his tactics have the potential to cause civilian casualties.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

He released those asteroids for the express reason of making them keep the shield up so as to isolate Coruscant. He never intended for them to actually get through.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

And isolating Coruscant does what, exactly? Oh, that's right. Cuts off the supply of food, among other things, to the ecumenopolis. There's no point doing it otherwise; they still have Holonet communications so it's not like he's cutting off the chain of command.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Reyvan wrote:Didn't Thrawn release a bunch of cloaked asteroids in orbit around Coruscant? If the New Republic hadn't kept the shields up, or if they'd failed to destroy the asteroids that could have resulted in massive civilian casualties.

He's not out to cause them, but his tactics have the potential to cause civilian casualties.
True, perhaps, but Reyvan's point, as I understand it, is that they could have, easily, and he was willing to accept that possibility to achieve his objectives.

Granted, its a big leap from that to a deliberate massacre.

Coruscan was basically a low-budget siege.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Thrawn may not have intended to bombard Coruscant with asteroids, but it's far from impossible. If new NR had failed to take out the asteroids eventually they'd have to lower the shields or watch the planet starve.

My point is not that Thrawn released the asteroids with the intent to cause civilian casualties, but that civilian casualties were a very real risk to that tactic.
For all we know the casualties that Kallus mentioned were the result of a tactic that wasn't aimed at causing collateral damage, but the enemy was unable to counter it as effectively as the NR countered the asteroids.

Whatever happened, I'd say we have a good chance of finding out what it was in the Thrawn novel

Edit: Yeah TRR said what I was getting at
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Rogue 9 wrote:And isolating Coruscant does what, exactly? Oh, that's right. Cuts off the supply of food, among other things, to the ecumenopolis. There's no point doing it otherwise; they still have Holonet communications so it's not like he's cutting off the chain of command.
So they surrender. This is how all blockades work, the enemy accepts the pain in furtherance of there cause or it gives up. Its irrelevant if it is asteroids in orbit of ISDs, both are going to fuck you up if you drop the shield while not surrendering. The brilliance of Thrawn's move was not that the asteroids were particularly destructive over other normal options, but rather that he was able to enforce the blockade on the enemy's capital planet far behind enemy lines without using a single fleet asset, his lack of fleet assets being the main driver of most of his actions in that trilogy (the Katana Fleet (as stupid as that was) and the battle of Bilbringi).
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Thanas wrote:Nah it just bothers me because it is flat out of character IMO. Thrawn never goes around slaughtering civilians unless he absolutely cannot help it and I find it hard how putting down an uprising requires the latter. Thrawn never had to do that when dealing with uprisings before and usually treated civilian societies with respect.
To be fair, I do recall a reference in the Thrawn Trilogy to him having exterminated a civilization in the past.

Even old EU Thrawn (who is ultimately a different, if related, character) would do it if he felt it was necessary.
If you read the scene, it's clear that Thrawn regrets that outcome, and considers it something of a failure on his part. That, I believe, is a big part of what sets up the characterization that Thanas refers to.
Not having seen the episode, I can't say weather the circumstances were such that he would be likely to draw that conclusion.
He doesn't seem especially contrite about it (which I think is the source of Thanas' problem with the scene), but then he was in the company of Tarkin and Price (his superiors? At least Tarkin should be), Konstantine, a junior flag officer who doesn't share his confidence like Pellaeon did in TTT, and Kallus who is in another branch and similarly not in Thrawn's confidence.

So I'd say, if Zahn's novel goes over that incident, it's possible we'll see that characterization come to the fore.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Now that you mention it, wasn't that wiping out an enemy thing, the reason he was exiled by his own people?
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's the scene in question:

Note, Thrawn only mentions that he was promoted for the job that he did in response to Konstantine's surprise at his rank. Kallus notes the number of civilians killed outnumbers the insurgents, and Thrawn's aide notes that it resolved the situation, as there are NO insurgents there now.

The way this scene is played, Thrawn might have a twinge of pride at his promotion, or at his cleverness in getting the promotion, but mostly he is focused on this new puzzle in front of him, not really concerned with his reputation or his past. Think Sherlock Holmes when he has a new mystery on his hands.

The point being, Thrawn is not a callous maniacal monster, he's is efficient, intelligent, and calculating, and that includes the ability to be ruthless. We are not seeing his perspective, we're seeing people react to his reputation. It's also vague enough that Thrawn could be playing it cool in front of everyone. Depends on how they show his actions in the future when he's in private. He's also someone that Tarkin actually refers to by name, not by rank, unlike everyone else he addresses. Either showing respect or familiarity.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Burak Gazan wrote:Now that you mention it, wasn't that wiping out an enemy thing, the reason he was exiled by his own people?

No, that was for attacking an enemy first instead of waiting to be shot at as Chiss culture dictates.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

So, new episode. Spoiler
A two-seater A-wing. Interesting. Also, dollars to doughnuts the "he" that Maul referred to at the end with "He's alive!" is Savage Opress.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

"Twin Suns"

I wonder though
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Burak Gazan wrote:"Twin Suns"

I wonder though
That's an obvious reference to Luke Skywalker's eventual destruction of the Sith and his location on Tatooine, though it's only obvious to us, the audience.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

If it is, it's flirting with stuff they , as the writers, should vector well clear of. But, we'll see how it goes. it wouldn't be the first time they pulled something unexpected
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I'm almost certain the "he" that Maul is referring to is Obi-Wan. I expect that the climax of this season will be on Tatooine and Ezra and Kanan will have to help Obi-Wan against Maul, and prevent him from discovering Luke's existence. Basically I think it might be leading up to a situation similar to that one comic where Maul tracked Obi-Wan down to Tatooine, and Obi-Wan finally killed him near the Lars Homestead.

Ezra will probably have to grapple with the fact that its not his destiny to defeat the Sith, and learn to leave that to Luke instead.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Reyvan wrote:I'm almost certain the "he" that Maul is referring to is Obi-Wan. I expect that the climax of this season will be on Tatooine and Ezra and Kanan will have to help Obi-Wan against Maul, and prevent him from discovering Luke's existence. Basically I think it might be leading up to a situation similar to that one comic where Maul tracked Obi-Wan down to Tatooine, and Obi-Wan finally killed him near the Lars Homestead.

Ezra will probably have to grapple with the fact that its not his destiny to defeat the Sith, and learn to leave that to Luke instead.
Maul wouldn't have been ecstatic over learning of Obi-Wan Kenobi's survival, nor would it offer him hope, unless I'm much mistaken. But we'll see.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Reyvan wrote:I'm almost certain the "he" that Maul is referring to is Obi-Wan. I expect that the climax of this season will be on Tatooine and Ezra and Kanan will have to help Obi-Wan against Maul, and prevent him from discovering Luke's existence. Basically I think it might be leading up to a situation similar to that one comic where Maul tracked Obi-Wan down to Tatooine, and Obi-Wan finally killed him near the Lars Homestead.

Maul wouldn't have been ecstatic over learning of Obi-Wan Kenobi's survival, nor would it offer him hope, unless I'm much mistaken. But we'll see.
I don't think he really seemed ecstatic, the final time he says "He lives" he sounds pretty angry, though he's also indulging in a little bit of villainous laughter. I also don't think he saw any Hope, he tried and said he saw only oblivion, at the end I think he was seeing Ezra's vision instead of his own , so he didn't get hope from the holocrons, but he did get a target that he might be able to destroy a little bit more easily than Vader and Sidious.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Well, other than it being somewhat blunt to the face, Ep IV is titled "A New Hope" -- but that seems a bit heavy handed and too simple.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

This could also explain how Obi-Wan knew the details about Anikin becoming Vader.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

SAMAS wrote:This could also explain how Obi-Wan knew the details about Anikin becoming Vader.
Obi Wan knew already. Anakin was Vader already during their duel on Mustafar. He probably didn't immediately know that Anakin survived, but having some guy in an armored suit walking around calling himself Vader was probably the only clue Obi Wan needed to confirm that Anakin didn't die.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Ehh, after countless of episodes featuring Imperial 0-class unarmed parade vessels and an episode in which a single TIE Advanced massacres a frigate and forces the whole fleet to run, we are get another proof that Rebels creators hate anything bigger than a light freighter. Apparently the CR-90 is unarmed and unshielded, three Interceptors could take it down in three passes and it has to run when a single TIE chases it.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

And they went for killing off the token black guy. As cool as it was for them to try and show Wedge and Hobbie's origin stories, they could have done so much better.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Spoiler
I expect Kallus to defect by the end of the season - first showing a conscience mentioning the butcher's bill of Thrawn's victory, and now by helping Sabine to escape. What's next ? Maybe he is a new Fulcrum and knew about the defectors.
Maybe the 181st is back in canon - Skerris' TIE Interceptor has red marks on its wings. Baron Fel ahead ? :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Borgholio wrote:
SAMAS wrote:This could also explain how Obi-Wan knew the details about Anikin becoming Vader.
Obi Wan knew already. Anakin was Vader already during their duel on Mustafar. He probably didn't immediately know that Anakin survived, but having some guy in an armored suit walking around calling himself Vader was probably the only clue Obi Wan needed to confirm that Anakin didn't die.
Details, I said. Besides, he's hiding as a hermit in one of the more remote planets in the galaxy. He most likely didn't have ready access to the Galactic newsfeeds.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Not sure which EU book it was (be Legends now I guess) but there was a bit in it near the end, with Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley trading some stuff for parts to use in his house, and he caught a newsfeed on the new high-level Imperial Enforcer who was rumored to be Palpatine's right -hand man, nothing known about him, etc, but the Black-Clad Armoured figure .... who else could it be? Plus, Obi-Wan instinctively knew from the Force, that it HAD to be Anakin.