Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by tezunegari »

Wasn't the original C'baoth already close to skirting the border to the dark side and the clone just batshit crazy and taking a running leap across it?

So if Yoda was aware of the clone he might have considered him a fallen / Dark Jedi.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

tezunegari wrote:Wasn't the original C'baoth already close to skirting the border to the dark side and the clone just batshit crazy and taking a running leap across it?

So if Yoda was aware of the clone he might have considered him a fallen / Dark Jedi.
I very much doubt Yoda was aware about him, but it goes to show that not everybody who was once a Jedi was known to him.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

It is worth noting that Yoda spent many years hiding in a swamp. I do not think he had up to date information on the number of jedi around.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

True. But the fact that he's a psychic who can see the future, sense things light years away, and communicate telepathically can't hurt.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:True. But the fact that he's a psychic who can see the future, sense things light years away, and communicate telepathically can't hurt.
Yeah but I doubt he can reach the whole galaxy. In fact, his powers of recognition are heavily stunted by the time RTS rolls around - see the whole "dark side clouds" etc. I doubt it got any better when he went into exile on Dagobah. In fact, I doubt he could mask himself succesfully from the Emperor without severely limiting his abilities. (Didn't Dagobah also dampen or mask his presence? Not sure, but I think there was something about this in the old EU).
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Yoda is not omniscient and less than totally forthcoming with what he does know. Luke has to press him hard to get conformation that Vader is his dad and he and Kenobi hide that Leia is his sister for as long as possible. Even if they knew about the survival of several quasi-Jedi, hiding that knowledge would be totally in character.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Thanas wrote: Yeah but I doubt he can reach the whole galaxy. In fact, his powers of recognition are heavily stunted by the time RTS rolls around - see the whole "dark side clouds" etc. I doubt it got any better when he went into exile on Dagobah. In fact, I doubt he could mask himself succesfully from the Emperor without severely limiting his abilities. (Didn't Dagobah also dampen or mask his presence? Not sure, but I think there was something about this in the old EU).
Supposedly Dagobah helped hide him because it was packed with lifeforms so that their combined presence in the Force helped mask his.

After that I think it was the remoteness and the lack of technology on Dagobah that combined to hide him.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Every damned inhabited planet in the galaxy (and those that aren't but have animals aplenty) is packed with lifeforms. I was under the impression that in the old EU Yoda hid on Dagobah because the massive Dark Side presence of the cave would drown out his Light Side signature.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

In any case, the fact that any survivers were no longer associated with the Order, makes Yoda's statement true regardless of who survived.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, finally got caught up and OMG AHSOKA SQUEEEEE :mrgreen:

Also, the Rebels Recon has me feeling good. Pablo Hidalgo flat out says the Ghost crew will be leaving Lothal, and they showed lots of concept art of "Commander Tano and Phoenix Squad" which, in addition to increasing the scope and scale of the show (yay!) also gives hope for some Rebel Mooks to get taken out. Like the ones we already saw, who conveniently have face masks for maximum anonymity. ;)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Thanas wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:The problem is that Yoda specifically says that Luke is the last Jedi and there's no evidence to the contrary.
However, Yoda also is not on top of things and he might just conclude because he hasn't heard anybody nobody exists still.

I mean, in the old EU we still had Callista.
Callista? Old EU had close to whole battalion of unaccounted for Jedi, even if we count only those who had official Old Republic Jedi title, twice that if you count new apprentices, sidekicks and washouts :lol:

It used to be grating, but yeah, you had to accept conclusion Yoda pretty much had to be ignorant of these.
Batman wrote:I was under the impression that in the old EU Yoda hid on Dagobah because the massive Dark Side presence of the cave would drown out his Light Side signature.
Yes, official version was that a very powerful Dark Jedi was killed there tainting the site.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Just wanted to say that ImperialWiki is still in business and would welcome any technical info coming out of Rebels.

http://stardestroyer.net/mrwong/wiki/in ... /Main_Page
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The trailer for series 2 just popped up on the Star Wars Facebook page

It would appear the Empire Strikes Back.
Spoiler
Palpy sends Vader off on a Rebel wackamole mission, crushes everyone, forces Ghost crew to flee the planet, meet up with a Alliance fleet with capital ships and, uh, A Wings. the Ghosties get a B Wing, and, because everyones favorite Togorian is now tagging along, a beardy weirdy oldie Rex is found as well
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

A-wings and B-wings in BBY. Suck it old EU. :razz:

On a more serious note, this looks epic. Vader is going to make shit get real, Rebel mooks there to die, some character conflict for Kanan, REX IS BACK FUCK YES, more Ahsoka which is always great. Man I love this.

Oh, and one more thing: Spoiler
I've seen speculation this could be Barriss Offee. If so, she should definitely engage Ahsoka at some point.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Apparently James Earl Jones is doing the Vader voice.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

RogueIce wrote:REX IS BACK FUCK YES
I wonder what he thinks about Order 66.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Wish they kept Asoka out of it, on one end the nostalgia and desire to see a conclusion to her character is great...but they're easily going to box themselves in a corner storywise

Thing is Vader's locked into being Vader so any interaction between the two is going to fall flat and most points are going to be that Asoka must die at somepoint, had that been left to the void between series...we could have that tragedy cement Vader being Vader.

Rex and the other clones...what happened to their chips? Guess the lost episodes are being ignored since the Kaminoans made sure there'd be no more 'malfunctions'
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

...was that 3 AT-AT not being able to hit target larger than a barn? :shock:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FedRebel wrote:Wish they kept Asoka out of it, on one end the nostalgia and desire to see a conclusion to her character is great...but they're easily going to box themselves in a corner storywise

Thing is Vader's locked into being Vader so any interaction between the two is going to fall flat and most points are going to be that Asoka must die at somepoint, had that been left to the void between series...we could have that tragedy cement Vader being Vader.

Rex and the other clones...what happened to their chips? Guess the lost episodes are being ignored since the Kaminoans made sure there'd be no more 'malfunctions'
Ashoka doesn't have to die. Yes, their's Yoda's line about Luke being the last Jedi, but Yoda could be wrong or Ashoka could no longer be considered a Jedi at that point (remember that she left the Jedi Order).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The teaser gives a bit too much away about Rex. I would have left weather he was a friend or an enemy unclear at first.

On the plus side is Palpatine and Vader showing up. I appreciate how Vader seemed to be beating both Kanan and Ezra. Who wants to bet that scene leads to Ashoka showing up to save their asses by duelling Vader (albeit probably just long enough for them to escape- even Ashoka shouldn't be a match for Lord Vader).
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

if she takes on Vader to let the children live and escape, by default she dies; Vader knows who she is, even if she doesn't know it's Anakin. And Vader aint looking all soft and cuddly here. He rightfully was swatting the sainted Kanan and his wannabe around like insects, which he would
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Ashoka doesn't have to die. Yes, their's Yoda's line about Luke being the last Jedi, but Yoda could be wrong or Ashoka could no longer be considered a Jedi at that point (remember that she left the Jedi Order).
The biggest problem with Ashoka, Ezra or Kanan surviving isn't Yoda's line. It's the fact that none of the Rebels make any mention of them to Luke. Which means that all three of them must be in a position where teaching Luke is obviously not going to happen. If they leave the Rebellion, Luke can still go to them and ask for help. So that just leaves them dying or defecting to the Empire.

But he makes no attempt to get any kind of training from them when, at the end of ANH, even Ezra is bound to know a few things that Luke doesn't. Just have a read through the thread on Heir to the Jedi. Luke has to figure out telekinesis on his own.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Burak Gazan wrote:if she takes on Vader to let the children live and escape, by default she dies; Vader knows who she is, even if she doesn't know it's Anakin. And Vader aint looking all soft and cuddly here. He rightfully was swatting the sainted Kanan and his wannabe around like insects, which he would
See, I don't know that Ashoka would die.

Ashoka is a very good duelist. She may not be a match for Vader, but she's good enough that I think she could hold him off for a minute and then escape, at least. She has a long history of surviving against opponents who should be out of her league- she survived duels with both Ventress and Grevious as a young Padawan. That said, I don't recall Ashoka ever duelling a Sith Lord.

She might die, and if they're going to have her die, fighting Vader be an epic way for it to happen. But their are alternatives.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Ashoka doesn't have to die. Yes, their's Yoda's line about Luke being the last Jedi, but Yoda could be wrong or Ashoka could no longer be considered a Jedi at that point (remember that she left the Jedi Order).
The biggest problem with Ashoka, Ezra or Kanan surviving isn't Yoda's line. It's the fact that none of the Rebels make any mention of them to Luke. Which means that all three of them must be in a position where teaching Luke is obviously not going to happen. If they leave the Rebellion, Luke can still go to them and ask for help. So that just leaves them dying or defecting to the Empire.

But he makes no attempt to get any kind of training from them when, at the end of ANH, even Ezra is bound to know a few things that Luke doesn't. Just have a read through the thread on Heir to the Jedi. Luke has to figure out telekinesis on his own.
I very much doubt that Ashoka, Kanan, and Ezra are all going to die or defect. I doubt Rebels will be that dark.

One possibility would be for them to screw up or be framed in some way that makes the Rebellion unwilling to work with them. Or they could suffer some tragedy so great that they give up and quit the fight.

Edit: They shouldn't do the same thing for all of them. It would be repetitive. So maybe they'll use a different option for each character. Logically I might go with Ashoka dies, Ezra is corrupted (followed by either death or redemption followed by exile), and Kanan retires. But since I like Ashoka, I'd kind of rather do it differently.