Is Sio Bibble an idiot? Jar Jar Binks 2.0, anyone?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Komodo9Joe
Redshirt

Is Sio Bibble an idiot? Jar Jar Binks 2.0, anyone?

Post by Komodo9Joe »

Sio Babble would have been a more appropriate name because all this guy does is babble like a fool. Back when the TF was blockading their planet, this guy is playing Captain Obvious:

"A communication disruption can only mean one thing: invasion."

You don't say? :roll:
He doesn't even seem to take a hint when nobody is giving their time of the day to his obvious conclusions.

Then we have this guy ratting out the the Queen on Tattooine by sending a message to them which allows Maul to "establish a trace." Shouldn't the governor of a state know better than to send out messages when communications are probably being watched? How the heck was this dullard elected as governor anyway?

Even in AOTC, he can't help but make a fool of himself in the one scene he's in: when Padme and Anakin visit Naboo. Apparently, he has so little trust in his capabilities(something that he's shown having little of) that he's deferring to a nineteen year old Jedi Padawan:
"What is your suggestion, Master Jedi?"

Firstly, this guy apparently has a poor memory because it's the same Jedi who was a little kid ten years back so how the heck could he be a Jedi Master already? Does this guy think becoming a Jedi Master is a timeless process? Secondly, why is a 50-ish year old governor deferring to some teenage Jedi on statesmanship? At this point, we must ask ourselves: is this guy really just asking for input or is he just being obsequious and trying to get some sensible ideas to which he can pass off as his own to show a tiny degree of competency on his part?

As if he hasn't already shown that he was shortchanged in the brains department, he also states
"I fear the Senate is powerless to resolve his crisis."

Did he not already learn this lesson 10 years ago with the TF? So he apparently doesn't learn from his mistakes either... :|

Forget Jar Jar, this guy's scenes make him look far more brainless than the hapless Gungan. If this is the governor of Naboo, you can't help but not see how easy Palpatine could play this planet.

So what do you guys think? Was Sio Bibble an incompetent moron who somehow got the position of governor or was he actually a very shrewd, progressive, intelligent, calculative, and insightful governor who simply played dumb to not frighten others with his excellence?

All opinions welcome and please discuss :D.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Is Sio Bibble an idiot? Jar Jar Binks 2.0, anyone?

Post by Lord Revan »

I won't talk about about the TPM part for now how ever 2 things I must comment on first "master jedi" or "master (insert name here)" is a polite form of addressing any jedi who is of knight rank or higher, notice how Yoda called Obi-wan Kenobi "Master Obi-wan" when talking to that younling class Yoda was teaching and most people would probably unaware how the internal ranks of the jedi order work, so they err on the side of caution when adressing jedi of unknown rank.

second Sio Bibble was deferring to Anakin Skywalker on the matter of security, you know the very thing Anakin was in charge of not general politics, it was Amidala who made the blunder in that scene speaking out of turn and undermining Anakin's authority, she should have talked these things over with Anakin before the meeting. In short Sio Bibble did in fact what was reasonble by asking the guy in charge for their next move.

As for the second point from AOTC as with the first when taken in context the meaning changes to less of a statement of the bloody obvious and more of way of saying "don't bother asking the senate can't help us" while still being polite. again when taken in context it seems reasonble enough.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I could be wrong, but I interpreted his transmission to Padme in TPM as either an outright fake, or as the Trade Federation forcing him to send the broadcast. I also assumed that what led Darth Maul to them on Tatooine was that she didn't listen to Qui-Gon and *did* send a reply, which he then tracked; I took his broadcast to be an omni-directional one.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

biostem wrote:I could be wrong, but I interpreted his transmission to Padme in TPM as either an outright fake, or as the Trade Federation forcing him to send the broadcast. I also assumed that what led Darth Maul to them on Tatooine was that she didn't listen to Qui-Gon and *did* send a reply, which he then tracked; I took his broadcast to be an omni-directional one.
It can't possibly be that. Padme never saw the transmission until much later when they were on their way to Coruscant. It must have been a direct transmission from Naboo to her starship, which would make sense given its role as her Air Force One. Though I agree with it probably being either faked or delivered at gunpoint(likely to an innocent).
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tbh alot of the examples from the OP don't seems as stupid as Komodo9Joe implies when viewed in context, that said I'm not accusing him of intentionally taking things out of context, after all he could have done it by mistake, heaven knows that George Lucas' dialogue is so bad that you aren't always able to pay full attention to what is said.

Yeah I assumed that transmition in TPM to be "fake" by either by being a fabrication or more likely gone under duress (aka at gunpoint), to be certain I'd have to rewatch TPM and I don't feel like doing so atm.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

According to Darths and Droids, he's evil because he's got a beard. :)

Sio Bibble is a filler character. Minor and barely helps move the story along.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Komodo9Joe
Redshirt

Post by Komodo9Joe »

Lord Revan wrote:Tbh alot of the examples from the OP don't seems as stupid as Komodo9Joe implies when viewed in context, that said I'm not accusing him of intentionally taking things out of context, after all he could have done it by mistake, heaven knows that George Lucas' dialogue is so bad that you aren't always able to pay full attention to what is said.

Yeah I assumed that transmition in TPM to be "fake" by either by being a fabrication or more likely gone under duress (aka at gunpoint), to be certain I'd have to rewatch TPM and I don't feel like doing so atm.
Well done. I must commend you for your well-written replies and steadfast logic. :D Still, that doesn't mean your responses are infallible. But rather than counter your replies, let's take it up a notch, shall we?
How will you defend against the ever-mounting evidence that Sio Bibble is a fool in part 2?
Here's
"Is Sio Bibble an idiot? Jar Jar Binks 2.0, anyone?" PART 2!

We were thankfully graced with Sio Bibble only having a couple of lines in the movie (yet those few lines shed a lot of light on his level of intelligence). Among his handful of lines, many are unsurprisingly obvious statements:
“A communications disruption can only mean one thing: invasion.”
“I fear the Senate is powerless to resolve this crisis.”

and we must ask ourselves: why? Why does Sio Bibble say so many obvious things?

The answer is that Sio Bibble, due to scarcity of brain cells, simply can’t think of anything better to say and has to resort to stating common sense.
Take a look at this line:
“Negotiation? We’ve already lost all communication! And where are the Chancellor’s ambassadors?

Hello? Who the heck cares where the ambassadors are: they’re obviously not negotiating. With your planet facing invasion, the location of the ambassadors should be the last thing on Bibble’s mind. All one needs to know with regards to ambassadors, is that the Chancellor sent them and they clearly couldn’t work out negotiations. But that’s not enough for governor Sio Bibble: nope, he wants to know useless details such as the location of the ambassadors… :|

For that matter, who is Sio Bibble’s question directed to? Panaka? The Queen? How would they know anymore than Bibble as to where the ambassadors are?

The truth is that no one knows the answers to Bibble’s question. The truth is that no one should care about the answer to Sio Bibble’s question. The truth is(which by now should come as a shock to no one) that Sio Bibble asks an idiotic and ill-timed question.

*Sigh* No surprise there. Again, how did this guy become governor?

And guess what Sio Bibble states to Qui-Gon after he rescues them?
“Your negotiations seem to have failed ambassador.”

And then he has to wait for Qui gon Jinn to explain to him:
"The negotiations never took place."

Really, Sio? I mean, really? You had to have Qui Gon tell you for you to realize the negotiations failed. Notice that Sio says 'seems'. Meaning that he still wasn't sure even by that point if the negotiations had failed. Well, at least he learned the location of the ambassadors that he so desperately wanted to know...

...How does a guy with so few lines and such little screen time make himself look like such a fool? Sio Bibble has apparently somehow found a way. For new or old viewers,read my Original Post if you want even more proof (or if you could use a laugh;) ).

So I again ask the viewers for their opinion on my original question:

Was Sio Bibble an incompetent moron who somehow got the position of governor or was he actually a very shrewd, progressive, intelligent, calculative, and insightful governor who simply played dumb to not frighten others with his excellence?

All opinions welcome and please discuss :D
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...this exact same thread was posted, verbatim, on TFN. Even the same title...

Anyway, I thought Padme did get the transmission on Tatooine? Though it has been quite some time since I watched Phantom Menace.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Oh, for fucks sake ... . :banghead:

Sio Bibble is a politician. Stating the obvious and talking hot air instead of saying something of substance is part of his job.

Aside from that, since the Naboo for some reason seem to believe, that children and adolescents in positions of power and high office are a good thing Bibble might talk that way so his mostly younger and less experienced superiors understand, what is going on. Small sentences and short words and all that. :roll:
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Sio Bibble is such a minor and inconsequential character that someone getting that worked up over him is really more deserving of the title Jar Jar 2.0. And I say that as someone who has little good things to say about the PT.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Kreller1
Youngling

Post by Kreller1 »

When Bibble told Qui-gon that his negotiations failed, I took that as he was curious what happened during the negotiations. e.g., he wanted to know what the TradeFed said to justify themselves, what they thought about the Supreme Chancellor ordering them to settle, etc. He was, after all, a politician.
"Your faith in the permanence of universal laws and the consistent nature of the universe should stand as a glowing example to believers everywhere." ~Sela
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Just to give an example why context is important when discussing dialogue the 3rd person singular pronoun is gender neutral in finnish (unlike in englisht) so you tell the gender of the person only from context so the sentense "Hän vie poika-ystävänsä elokuvateateriin" could be translated either as "she took her boyfriend to the cinema" or "he took his boyfriend to the cinema" and when you know the context do you know if the person is male or female.

Another example just to show it works inside the same language as well, when I was lifting my PC monitor earlier to move it to different location I had some trouble getting it of the table due to the monitor being tightly fixed to the table via suction cups, when I finally got it free I thought to myself "that was tight" (in finnish obviously since I'm a finn but still), now in that context the phrase was perfectly innocent, but put in a different context it could be very dirty.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Um... is this supposed to be some kind of parody of Prequel criticism? I can't even tell. Nothing Sio Bibble says is really particularly stupid or noteworthy - his main function is basically expository. So I assume you're trying to parody certain over-analytical criticisms or something.

Either that or you've really put this much thought into Sio Bibble, which would probably be more hilarious.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Channel72 wrote:Um... is this supposed to be some kind of parody of Prequel criticism? I can't even tell. Nothing Sio Bibble says is really particularly stupid or noteworthy - his main function is basically expository. So I assume you're trying to parody certain over-analytical criticisms or something.

Either that or you've really put this much thought into Sio Bibble, which would probably be more hilarious.
you refering to me or the OP?

If you meant the OP, I kind of agree, though I got a feeling he might be trying to "rep up" with his posts.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I doubt it's 'rep up' in this case. Like I said, exact same thing was posted on TFN. Down to the wording.

In any case, I still have yet to see how anything Bibble did was important enough to even justify worrying about. Let alone doing any sort of analysis. He's as background as they get, even in TPM.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

If we're going to talk about background characters, let's at least focus on Sy Snootles and Max Rebo. They really know how to rock.

Fun Fact: I went to my high-school prom with Sy Snootles. But then I realized I imagined the whole thing, and I was actually passed out behind a K-mart. [/drunk posting]
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Komodo9Joe wrote:Why does Sio Bibble say so many obvious things?
narration. dialog is not GL's strong suite.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Komodo9Joe wrote:And guess what Sio Bibble states to Qui-Gon after he rescues them?
“Your negotiations seem to have failed ambassador.”
Obvious sarcasm is obvious? :|
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician