Force Technology?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Force Technology?

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Is there any examples in Star Wars where technology is used to replicate Force powers? If not, why not? The Force is by far among the most potent / strongest power in the Star Wars galaxy. How come after thousands of years of being wielded by organic sentient beings no one had actually attempted to replicate Force powers and abilities via technology e.g. Bio-mechanical technology? Think of the potential applications and implications!
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Re: Force Technology?

Post by cadbrowser »

Based on Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace, Midi-chlorians, which are a symbiot microorganisms in all living things and communicate with the force.

So, in order for a driod or other piece of bio-mechanicals; they would have to study this microorganism, figure out how to "train it" to become symbiotic with a piece of machinery. In my mind that would be akin to implanting a mitocondrial DNA inside a nanite and the build a robot to be able to use it.

Was General Grevious able to use the force? I am unable to find any references authough he was attributed with killing hundreds (?) of Jedi. So, either this cyborg (?) doesn't need midi-chlorians because of his mechanical reflexes are superior to a Jedi using the force, or this is the only example of a mechanical (possibly bio-mech) being utilizing the force powers.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Grievous isn't a force user and there's been attempts to artificially infuse people with the force how ever those attempts have failed (only exception being the reborn and the cult of ragnos members from the Jedi knight game series).

even then it was trying to give force powers to living creatures not machines
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Ok, I wasn't sure...just wanted to point out that if Grievous wasn't a force user, then it would be safe to assume that it was not a requirement as the Jedi can be outmatched with technology NOT requiring the force.

Therefore one could possibly conclude that midi-chlorians are not compatable with technology and that is why it was not done...simply just not possible.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the relationship between the Midiclorians and the force is complex to say the least, but to make a long story short you cannot give someone the force simply by injecting them with Midiclorians.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

:wtf: Yes, I gathered that from your earlier post. Which is also a clue as to why it hasn't been tried outside of a non-living entity as the OP was questioning.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I think an easier task wouldn't be Force technology but anti-Force technology. Knowing that every ysalimir possesses the capacity to negate Force powers, it should be possible for a sufficiently amoral biologist to work out which bits are necessary to create the effect.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Grumman wrote:I think an easier task wouldn't be Force technology but anti-Force technology. Knowing that every ysalimir possesses the capacity to negate Force powers, it should be possible for a sufficiently amoral biologist to work out which bits are necessary to create the effect.
What? Like some kind of battle armor with a Ysalaimir Force-nullifying organ grafted to a miniature life-support system on its backpack? Or specialized cloning facilities that allows efficient splicing of Ysalaimir DNA into genes of clone soldiers allowing them to be able to naturally resistant to Force powers?
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Pfffft, splice the Force-nullifying genes with some fast-growing biochemical resistant weed, and seed entire biospheres with it.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

KlavoHunter wrote:Pfffft, splice the Force-nullifying genes with some fast-growing biochemical resistant weed, and seed entire biospheres with it.
You intend to wipe out Force-users?

Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Jedi Outcast?
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

I'd just like to point out that Grevious is not a droid. He is a highly enhanced cyborg, so he has biological bits left.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Grumman wrote:I think an easier task wouldn't be Force technology but anti-Force technology. Knowing that every ysalimir possesses the capacity to negate Force powers, it should be possible for a sufficiently amoral biologist to work out which bits are necessary to create the effect.
Like a bio-weapon virus that destroys the midichlorians? Would need to be air-borne.
Lord Relvenous wrote:I'd just like to point out that Grevious is not a droid. He is a highly enhanced cyborg, so he has biological bits left.
Yes, thank you Captain obvious :lol:

We have covered that.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

cadbrowser wrote:
Like a bio-weapon virus that destroys the midichlorians? Would need to be air-borne.
How did you get that from what I said? Bioweapons that kill midichlorians are no better than bioweapons that kill people directly. I was talking about taking something that actually works (the ysalimir's ability to negate force powers) and reverse engineering it to develop a mechanical or biomechanical device with the same ability.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Not hardly...If said bio-weapon is engineered to ONLY target and neutralize the midichlorians then you've effectively negated ANY lifeform from being able to use the force.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Except it will also kill everything, as Qui Gon says in TPM:

"Without them, life could not exist and we would have no knowledge of the Force." Emphasis mine.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

1) Force-based technology was made by the Rakata. It ended badly, and it seems likely to always go that route. Apparently, powerful force-tech become alive... with a mind of its own.

2) Force users aren't necessarily organic, nor are all lifeforms in SW organic. Ref: Iron Knights.

3) There's plenty of Force users with an obvious interest that no Force tech sees the day, unless it happens to be under their strict control. This goes times x1000000 for anti-Force tech.

There's plenty of material to read up on, but that's the general conclusion I make.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Except it will also kill everything, as Qui Gon says in TPM:

"Without them, life could not exist and we would have no knowledge of the Force." Emphasis mine.
Oh hell. That's right.

Unless that is more of a philosophy than a fact. But I conceed the point nonetheless.

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

What kind of Force-tech do the Rakatan have besides the Star Forge?

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:What kind of Force-tech do the Rakatan have besides the Star Forge?
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't pretty much all of Rakatan tech at least powered by the Force, thus explaining why they lost the ability to use it once they lost their Force abilities.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:What kind of Force-tech do the Rakatan have besides the Star Forge?
Pretty much everything they used was force powered, except for the most basic technologies. The hyperdrives that the Rakata used were even force powered and controlled.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Imperial528 wrote:
Pretty much everything they used was force powered, except for the most basic technologies. The hyperdrives that the Rakata used were even force powered and controlled.
Also, read Riptide. A Spoiler
sentient, dark side space station.
Jedi Commisar
Youngling

Post by Jedi Commisar »

Doesn't Proxy imitate force powers when it uses hologram technology to mimic Jedi?
"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome."

From the novel Greater than the Sum
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jedi Commisar wrote:Doesn't Proxy imitate force powers when it uses hologram technology to mimic Jedi?
To a degree yes, but tbh it's not that hard to imitate the effects of certain force powers, after all PROXY is an aid for combat training so the powers he's suppose to "use" would be those used in combat, the telekinectic ones, high reaction speed, force lightning and such.

a low power repulsor or something similar could be used to mimic the telekicnetic abilities, high movement and reaction speeds isn't that hard for a droid, force lightning could be mimiced with an actual electric discarge.