is it just me or are original trilogy lightsabers cooler

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Re: is it just me or are original trilogy lightsabers cooler

Post by Gunhead »

Havok wrote:Waah waah waah!! Gunhead is mean and intentionally lies to smear my precious prequels that are my life and I must defend them at all cost
Okay I'll rephrase: I'm not extensively familiar with EU and I aim to keep it that way. By that I mean I'm not interested in it and by and large I will not go out of my way to learn more about it.
But I feel for you Havok. If my bestest movie ever was on the level of SW EU I might get pissy too. Keep railing though, your impotent fanboy rage will keep me entertained for a long time.

I'm willing to bet that most people on this board with a more than a few posts have at least a passing knowledge of SW EU which you already knew and just impotently tried to paint me as a liar.
Keep rubbing that "lightsaber" of yours, it might react.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gunhead wrote:
Havok wrote: Prequel fanboy needs everyone to like his new favorite movie and gets pissy if someone doesn't oh the noes.
Since you're fucking stupid, I'll make this real clear to you. I don't care if you like the prequels, or if anyone else does. A thread about relative coolness of X what I like or don't like is perfectly valid and I pretty much explained why I think the originals are cooler.
Hey, look the dishonest poster strikes again, changing posts so he doesn't have to address them.
Havok wrote:There are interpretations that are more correct than others, that is for sure. But of course, you miss the point, that being that you can't even comprehend or acknowledge what you are reading in this thread or the ideas and thoughts the posters here are presenting, so why should anyone think you could do so appropriately with the movies themselves. Answer: We shouldn't.
You stupid fucker. I'm putting out how I see the scenes and my take on them, if someone disagrees with this they are free to do so and if I make an error that can be shown, I'll correct my stance.
Yes, and your stance and take are retarded and uniformed, clearly.
Havok wrote: OHHHHH so you do know who Red is is? I guess that just makes you a liar.
No it makes you a hand waving fuck who can't put up a quote and point out which part was even remotely relevant to what I was saying. I now know who Red is as I skimmed the thread to see what he had to say. Man has a point, more so than you ever will.
So first you don't know who he is, then you do, now you only skimmed the thread (obvious by the way). So you lie, back peddle and jump into arguments and threads you only skimmed. Awesome.
But since you can't remember...
Havok wrote:
Gunhead wrote:I think the problem is that when the fights erupt the solution of the heroes is to lightsaber / force magic themselves out of it. Which leads to a series of snore inducing fights because they are never really forced to think themselves out of a tight spot. The other big point is that for the most part in the OT lightsabers are used to cut people or block lightsabers which is a sound use for a close combat weapon. Standing in the open and let people take shots at you is a fundamentally stupid fucking idea as demonstrated by the battle of Geonosis. Lightsabers are used to block blasters in the OT four times or something like that, with Luke getting shot to the hand once too.

-Gunhead
The Jedi for whatever badly written reason were forced into Geonosis. Other than that, and from what we know, Jedi haven't had to fight large standing armies for ages. Their jobs entail them getting out of tight jams and mostly deflecting bolts back at a handful of people that have the sac to fire on them in the first place.

It is clear by how they travel in groups of two that they just don't come across large threats that they can't handle often, if at all.
Gunhead wrote:I don't see how or why the Jedi ended up on geonosis is relevant to the ass kicking they received there. I think it just basically shows how having some magic kung fu and a sword doesn't make you immune to being shot at when you lack character shields. Not to mention the end of RoTS.
I also don't see how Luke is a padawan unless you count EU, which I'm not familiar with and I aim to keep it that way. On a similar note, lucky or not, all hits count and while Havok might think the shooter was lucky, I say Luke was lucky he didn't block it with his forehead.
I also firmly believe that the reason for Jedi working in pairs is that it reduces the chance of getting shot in the back greatly which is a perfectly viable tactic for killing a Jedi like RoTS aptly demonstrates. I mean it's not like it's unprecedented, Han got the drop on Vader, twice if you count him taking pot shots at him in Bespin.

-Gunhead
RedImperator wrote:I actually think the Geonosis debacle fits the themes of the PT pretty well. The Jedi walk in to the arena waving their lightsabers, symbol of legal and religious authority etc., expecting to win because they're Jedi and when Jedi flash the lightsaber (this sounds like a thinly veiled sexual innuendo), people back down or else.

And then they get slaughtered, because the legal authority of the Republic doesn't intimidate the separatists and the spiritual authority of the Jedi doesn't intimidate the Sith, and it turns out, even Jedi can't deflect massed blaster fire. That they have to be rescued by the clones just drives the message even further home: the days of the Jedi keeping peace and order are over. The magic is gone.
Havok wrote:
Gunhead wrote: I think it just basically shows how having some magic kung fu and a sword doesn't make you immune to being shot at when you lack character shields. Not to mention the end of RoTS.
See Red's insight on this for a proper analysis and the correct answer.
Gunhead wrote:
Havok wrote:See Red's insight on this for a proper analysis and the correct answer.
Who is that and why should I care?
-Gunhead
So... not relevant... let's see.
You: The Jedi use Force and lightsabers in the big fight on Geonosis. Never have to get out of tight spots.
Me: The Jedi are only used to getting out of tight spots and not used to large scale combat anymore.
You: The Jedi were dumb and obviously have no character shields and their kung fu is dumb too.
Red: Breaks down the fight thematically and shows properly how it fits well in the movie and for what it is trying to portray.
Me: Points to Red's post as to how to correctly break it down instead of "hur hur character shields".
You: Who is that? Why should I care?
Me: You should care because your analysis is stupid and his is correct.
You: Oh well yeah, I did read it.
Me: So you lied then, or are lying now.
You: You can't even point to anything said that was relevant!

And here we are.
Havok wrote:First, you can't even say that without adding a caveat of "even if technically". :lol: But YES, before you are a JEDI, when you are being trained by a JEDI or JEDI MASTER that does indeed make you a PADAWAN. Sorry you feel so violated by Lucas, but you are 100% wrong. You may not like the PT, but that doesn't mean you can ignore them. Especially in a thread where comparisons of the two are mandatory.
If you want to be the only retard in existence that wants to pretend that knowing the difference between a Padawan and a Jedi comes from reading EU, well then be my guest dumbfuck. :lol:
I was referencing EU as to the level of training Luke had since all we know about the extent of his training is Yoda felt he could take on the sith duo. I know the term padawan is in the prequels and I assumed anyone with a half a brain could figure out on their own I was talking about relative amounts of skill not arbitrary titles. I see I was wrong. So yes, while TECHNICALLY still a padawan Luke has all the skills he needs to be a full Jedi, or at least so Yoda implies. Is that clear enough for you or do I start drawing small pictures?
Technically? Arbitrary? Man you are really fucking reaching aren't you.
Luke: Then I am a Jedi.
Yoda: No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.

So boys and girls... if you are training to be a Jedi and aren't one yet... then what are you? That's right.
A Jedi isn't just about the "skills". Apparently you are the one who needs the picture drawings. Or maybe even three more movie made to help you understand. Six obviously weren't enough.
Aside from the fact that no, Yoda did not feel Luke had the training required. You know, how he says that before he runs off to confront Vader and get his hand chopped off.
Yoda: No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him... that incomplete was your training. That... not ready for the burden were you.
I mean, but why let facts get in the way of your stupidity.

Havok wrote:Nudging? Are you for real? :lol: Yes, Yoda and Obi-Wan, were just nudging Luke to kill Vader and the Emperor. :lol:
Nudge, push, shove, what's the difference?
Uh... like the meaning of the word. :lol:
You said Yoda was "nudging" Luke to kill Vader and the Emperor. He wasn't nudging him, moron, he was out right training him specifically for it. Backpeddle faster.

Havok wrote:Holy shit you are stupid.
Luke had to face HIMSELF. That was his last hurdle in becoming a Jedi. Are you this dumb that you miss shit that was blatantly put in your face?
But OOPS! Obi-Wan killed a Sith Lord as a Padawan, while his master, who was a full fledged Jedi, got killed by him. What does that tell us boys and girls? That Gunhead is pulling irrelevant shit out of his ass to try to make arguments no one else are involved in. :lol:
Hey lolface, try not to huff and puff so much. Keep typing faster maybe some oxygen will flow to your brain so you can actually understand what I'm saying. I know Obi-Wan killed a Sith lord and nearly got wiped out in the process. BUT IT WAS NOT EXPECTED OF HIM TO REACH FULL JEDI STATUS! Yoda wanted Luke to confront the sith and thus denied him full Jedi status until he had done so. He just used the jedi status as an additional reason for Luke to go and fight. This is again something you could have figured out on your own.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! What?!
Are you honestly saying that Yoda was merely using the carrot and stick approach with Luke? That Yoda, was using the achievement of status to drive Luke? This is why I, and pretty much anyone else, should disregard you "opinions". Oh man.
Oh, and P.S. Luke had already confronted the Sith and yet, Yoda still said he wasn't a Jedi. Oops there goes that theory of yours. Go ahead an backpeddle from that now.

What you so sadly fail to understand was that in Luke's case, becoming a Jedi wasn't about DEFEATING Vader and Palpatine. It was about confronting them and facing the decisions of his father, the darkness in himself and not succumbing to them as he almost did. It was about choosing the proper path... the path a true Jedi would take.

That is what makes the final throne room scene so powerful, not that you would notice. It was ultimately Palpatine that confirmed Luke's Jedi status and then before he was about to have his final victory over the Jedi.
Havok wrote: Uh... you were the one that said "Luke was lucky he didn't block the blaster bolt with his forehead." When I was talking about luck, it is pretty clear what I meant... lets recap since you don't like quoting what you are arguing about.
As for Luke in the OT, the only time he has a lightsaber against someone not named Vader is on the sail barge and when he is thrown from the speeder bike. Keep in mind that he blocked the shit out of the far faster and more powerful bolts of the speeder with relative ease. The guy on the deck had snuck up behind and got a lucky shot on what was essentially a Padawan when it came to training. When I say "lucky shot" I'm not talking about his skill or that his aim was lucky, I'm talking about the fact that he was able to get behind Luke at almost point blank range and have the time to take the shot before Luke was able to chop his head off. I thought that would be pretty obvious. :roll:
If that's your view, you're welcome to it. In a fight "luck" is something you have if you're left standing. I disagree on Luke being a padawan in terms of skill as to my view he didn't receive all that much additional training when he saw Yoda the last time. Above doesn't change how I see it in anyway otherwise.
Which is why you are a moron. Luke in terms of skill could defeat Vader, but was still a padawan. Obi-Wan, in terms of skill, could defeat Maul. Neither one was a Jedi whether you "view' it that way or not. To further this, Anakin was in terms of skill able the equal to or exceeded just about every Jedi in existence, yet he was kept a regular Jedi because he wasn't ready to be a Master.

It's like saying Kirk had the skills to be a Captain when he was Lt., it doesn't change the fact that he was still a Lt., no matter what your small mind thinks.
Havok wrote: No, Geonosis DOES NOT disagree with me. It is the exception. It AS I SAID, is not what the Jedi are used to dealing with.
I mean, I love how in your retarded rebuttals you can say "The evidence disagrees with you, even though it shows what you said is pretty much the case." :lol: You should have your mom edit your posts before you submit them. For real.
And you should stop sucking the tit of yours and read what I said. I said I misread your post the first time and even said as far as PT goes you're correct. Geonosis STILL is an event that required way more than two and even if it's the exception I can quite freely use it to tell an idiot like you that your over simplification is blatantly WRONG! So what they're not used to dealing with shit like that? I'm sure you can come up with a whiny fanboy excuse to make me give a shit.

Havok wrote: Wow. I mean... WOW.
You really believe this stuff?
What I am saying is, and it is fucking amazing that you can't figure this out at all considering what you THINK I have been saying, is that The Force is not a be all end all for Jedi or Sith.
My point about Han, was that any schmuck in a his position could have done what he did in the trench as I illustrated with my comment about a spitball.
And how on EARTH do you figure Han was faster than Vader when Vader was able to stand up and block every bolt Han fired before they got within arms reach of him? :lol:
Really, please... elaborate on this some more.
Let me rephrase that
Havok wrote: "blaa blaa blaa blaa I don't like how you view the events"
Han was looking away and was turning to face Vader when Han saw him, pulled his weapon, and shot at him. Vader blocked it with the force and yanked the weapon away. I saw it as Vader thinking he can disarm / intimidate people coming in, Han blasting Vader on reflex, Vader blocks and yanks the gun away. I gather it takes more time to draw and fire a blaster than it takes from a Sith to use the force to block it. All Vader really did was raise his hand since he was pretty much up when Han spotted him. More over Vader knew he was coming so he had time to be ready, and STILL Han managed to take a shot at him.
Do you know what "get the drop on" means? Han would have had to surprise Vader, and actually, you know, win the encounter. As you keep pointing out, Vader was in no way surprised by Han. That he was able to shoot at Vader means Han has quick reflexes and pretty much nothing else.

I mean, don't you feel completely fucking stupid being the only person on the planet that thinks Han got the drop on Vader on Bespin, instead of Vader, quite obviously, not being worried about Han or whatever he could do in any way, shape or form?
Havok wrote:Holy fuck sticks you are dumb.
The Force: Unexplained mysterious energy field (a term from the OT by the way ) that has no explanation for how it works, why it works. What we know about it from the OT is that life creates it, makes it grow.
Midichlorians: Sybiotic blood parasites that allow living creatures to sense and manipulate the Force. What we know about them from the PT is that they can tell living creatures the "will" of the Force and that without them there is no life.

What we know: Midichlorians help facilitate life and give a small measure of one's potential in using the Force.
What we DON'T know: What is the Force? Why does life create it? How does it have a will? Why does it have a dark and light side? Why does it want balance? How does it allow people to see the future? How is it that it can effect inanimate objects?

OH NO IT ISN'T MYSTERIOUS AND MYSTICAL ANYMORE!!!! MY ASS AND CHILDHOOD!!! :lol:
And fanboy again misses the obvious and comes back with a shitty quote about.. something only a fanboy will give a shit about. Force = Energy field in the galaxy and it is what gives a Jedi his power. At the same time, it affects others see for example Han flying his ship through the asteroid field. What we don't know about the force might be a mystery to some but not to ME. I for the most part don't give a fuck about those. Certainly not when everything new about the force is dreary Jedi shit making it even less interesting. So take off the bath.. I mean "your Jedi robe" stop swinging a stick around before you pass out from lack of oxygen to your brain. I guess lack of oxygen would explain your obsession with asses and childhood.

-Gunhead
Wait wait wait dumbass... did you just say Han used the Force to get through the asteroid field in TESB?
So I'm the fanboy for showing that the Force is still as mysterious as ever and bringing up points that involve the biggest argument about Star Wars that even casual fans of the saga recognize, while you are the what for claiming it is NOT a mystery to you, even though you whine about the "mysticism" of the Force being gone, and that Han used the Force to get through the asteroid field. Man, do you fucking listen to yourself?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gunhead wrote:
Havok wrote:Waah waah waah!! Gunhead is mean and intentionally lies to smear my precious prequels that are my life and I must defend them at all cost
Okay I'll rephrase: I'm not extensively familiar with EU and I aim to keep it that way. By that I mean I'm not interested in it and by and large I will not go out of my way to learn more about it.
But I feel for you Havok. If my bestest movie ever was on the level of SW EU I might get pissy too. Keep railing though, your impotent fanboy rage will keep me entertained for a long time.

I'm willing to bet that most people on this board with a more than a few posts have at least a passing knowledge of SW EU which you already knew and just impotently tried to paint me as a liar.
Keep rubbing that "lightsaber" of yours, it might react.

-Gunhead
In other words, you are going to backpeddle some more. Shocking.
Uh and no, you did a good job painting yourself as a liar:
I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE EU AND AIM TO KEEP IT THAT WAY!

I DON'T KNOW WHO RED IS AND WHY SHOULD I CARE WHAT HE WROTE!

Oh wait... what I meant to say... now that you pointed out how completely dishonest I am.... :lol:

Even still, if you don't know anything... oh sorry, aren't extensively familiar with... is that what we are going with now? the EU, then shut the fuck up about it.

And just keep on rewriting quotes from people. That makes you look soooo honest.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Havok wrote: Hey, look the dishonest poster strikes again, changing posts so he doesn't have to address them.
Adress what? Your empty winded shit about you whining about me not liking the prequels?
Havok wrote:Yes, and your stance and take are retarded and uniformed, clearly.
Whiny fanboy doesn't like how I interpret scenes in a movie. Clearly you're an idiot.
Havok wrote: So... not relevant... let's see.
You: The Jedi use Force and lightsabers in the big fight on Geonosis. Never have to get out of tight spots.
Me: The Jedi are only used to getting out of tight spots and not used to large scale combat anymore.
You: The Jedi were dumb and obviously have no character shields and their kung fu is dumb too.
Red: Breaks down the fight thematically and shows properly how it fits well in the movie and for what it is trying to portray.
Me: Points to Red's post as to how to correctly break it down instead of "hur hur character shields".
You: Who is that? Why should I care?
Me: You should care because your analysis is stupid and his is correct.
You: Oh well yeah, I did read it.
Me: So you lied then, or are lying now.
You: You can't even point to anything said that was relevant!

*condensed this a bit

And here we are.
Wow, in that whole long winded shit you hit one thing I was going for when I made my opening post. Character shields prevent a character from dying and if you want to establish that the character is in any type of danger you need to show the opposition can actually threaten him. Oh say.. like the battle of Geonosis. I still don't give a fuck how or why what stupid writing caused the Jedi to go on Geonosis, since my stance was about establishing threat. Red's post is thematically correct but I don't CARE about the theme here. In a nutshell: People with blasters can threaten a Jedi and shooting them in the back is a totally valid way of doing them in. As per Geonosis and end of RoTS. If this was established at the beginning of the PT the fights might have actually held some tension in them. All of that long winded BS doesn't invalidate my initial argument where said, very clearly I might add. That standing in the open letting people shoot at you is fundamentally a stupid idea, no matter how much Havok whines about the jedi not being prepared for this or that or what the scene thematically was about. I am not arguing the theme of the scene just using it to demonstrate what will happen if you act like a fucking moron.
Havok wrote: Technically? Arbitrary? Man you are really fucking reaching aren't you.
Luke: Then I am a Jedi.
Yoda: No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.

So boys and girls... if you are training to be a Jedi and aren't one yet... then what are you? That's right.
A Jedi isn't just about the "skills". Apparently you are the one who needs the picture drawings. Or maybe even three more movie made to help you understand. Six obviously weren't enough.
Aside from the fact that no, Yoda did not feel Luke had the training required. You know, how he says that before he runs off to confront Vader and get his hand chopped off.
Yoda: No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him... that incomplete was your training. That... not ready for the burden were you.
I mean, but why let facts get in the way of your stupidity.
Oh now I'm supposed to believe that titles somehow matter in relation to skill or ability? I'm not a fanboy idiot like you. You think Luke got force power + 1 as soon as the sith were defeated? You harp about a title when I'm talking about how good Luke really was and what we have to gauge it. Not to mention I'm talking about RoTJ and he fought Vader the first time in ESB. In ESB his training was incomplete, the movies don't say when/how/if he got more training from Yoda when he went to face Jabba. I personally think he got additional training BEFORE he went to see Jabba and after that he thought could learn more and returned to Yoda. Feel free to disagree, I won't care if you do.
Havok wrote:Nudging? Are you for real? :lol: Yes, Yoda and Obi-Wan, were just nudging Luke to kill Vader and the Emperor. :lol:
Uh... like the meaning of the word. :lol:
You said Yoda was "nudging" Luke to kill Vader and the Emperor. He wasn't nudging him, moron, he was out right training him specifically for it. Backpeddle faster.
Try harder blowhard. You're just nitpicking on my choice of words because you're a rabid fanboy crusading boldly for the honor of George Lucas. Again: Yoda was using the Jedi title as an additional way of nudging Luke into fighting Vader and Emperor. I might have said push, shove or coax and it would haven't made a lick of difference. Becoming a jedi a major thing for Luke being the driving idea here.
Havok wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! What?!
Are you honestly saying that Yoda was merely using the carrot and stick approach with Luke? That Yoda, was using the achievement of status to drive Luke? This is why I, and pretty much anyone else, should disregard you "opinions". Oh man.
Oh, and P.S. Luke had already confronted the Sith and yet, Yoda still said he wasn't a Jedi. Oops there goes that theory of yours. Go ahead an backpeddle from that now.

Not merely you dumb fuck. In addition to training him otherwise. Becoming a Jedi was a pivotal goal to Luke as we can plainly see from RoTJ so Yoda used that as a further incentive.
And what theory might that be? You're not even making any sense now. I never claimed it takes defeating a sith to become a jedi actually the opposite. In this specific instance, Yoda told Luke to confront Vader & Palpatine to become a Jedi, in a very specific final test kind of way.
Havok wrote: What you so sadly fail to understand was that in Luke's case, becoming a Jedi wasn't about DEFEATING Vader and Palpatine. It was about confronting them and facing the decisions of his father, the darkness in himself and not succumbing to them as he almost did. It was about choosing the proper path... the path a true Jedi would take.

That is what makes the final throne room scene so powerful, not that you would notice. It was ultimately Palpatine that confirmed Luke's Jedi status and then before he was about to have his final victory over the Jedi.
So says you. He did directly defeat Vader. He defeated Palpatine in essence by not fighting. But I guess subtle things like this elude you. Luke was going there ready to die and in essence you could say he would have been truly the last of the Jedi if he had died there when the DS exploded. Which was pretty much his original plan. Defeating someone doesn't mean you have to directly engage them in combat you fucking idiot.
Havok wrote: Which is why you are a moron. Luke in terms of skill could defeat Vader, but was still a padawan. Obi-Wan, in terms of skill, could defeat Maul. Neither one was a Jedi whether you "view' it that way or not. To further this, Anakin was in terms of skill able the equal to or exceeded just about every Jedi in existence, yet he was kept a regular Jedi because he wasn't ready to be a Master.

It's like saying Kirk had the skills to be a Captain when he was Lt., it doesn't change the fact that he was still a Lt., no matter what your small mind thinks.
So I should care about your opinion... because? For the umpteenth time arbitrary titles don't mean shit to me. If Kirk Lt. is put in the captains chair and performs well. He has the skills to do it. I care about skill, not titles.
Havok wrote: Do you know what "get the drop on" means? Han would have had to surprise Vader, and actually, you know, win the encounter. As you keep pointing out, Vader was in no way surprised by Han. That he was able to shoot at Vader means Han has quick reflexes and pretty much nothing else.

I mean, don't you feel completely fucking stupid being the only person on the planet that thinks Han got the drop on Vader on Bespin, instead of Vader, quite obviously, not being worried about Han or whatever he could do in any way, shape or form?
Getting the drop just means you can surprise the opponent, it's not an autowin button. I know what getting the drop on someone means. You obviously don't. You claim Vader wasn't at all surprised and I'm saying if he wasn't a bit surprised he would have disarmed Han before he came into the hall instead of letting him take shots at himself. This is not a popularity contest you idiot. If you feel so confident you can positively prove Vader wasn't at all surprised, I'm all ears.
Havok wrote: Wait wait wait dumbass... did you just say Han used the Force to get through the asteroid field in TESB?
So I'm the fanboy for showing that the Force is still as mysterious as ever and bringing up points that involve the biggest argument about Star Wars that even casual fans of the saga recognize, while you are the what for claiming it is NOT a mystery to you, even though you whine about the "mysticism" of the Force being gone, and that Han used the Force to get through the asteroid field. Man, do you fucking listen to yourself?
It's one way to interpret the scene and I wouldn't say used in an active sense, more he got.. help from it. And since this is about which is cooler, I don't have to give rats ass about fanboy arguments involving an aspect of a movie. Since the point eludes you, what I'm saying the OT gave TO ME all that I need to know about the force. PT then took it to shitty Jesus territory and implied they can just blood test for force potential, makes the force more like a flu than a mystical energy field.

-Gunhead

Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Havok wrote: Whiny bitch handwaving
Look crybaby, In case you didn't know, not being familiar with something is not the same as knowing nothing at all about it.
So go watch Phantom Menace in 3D again, I'm sure you'll feel better after that. It's a dark theater, no one will notice you jacking off there.
I still don't know this Red person. I did read a post by RedImperator and assumed you meant him. Next time idiot, you might consider putting up the full name of the poster.
It's only polite, not that a prequel loving little shit like you knows anything about that.

-Gunhead

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Ladies, ladies. Please.

Now, let's all hold hands and agree the PT is shit.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:Ladies, ladies. Please.

Now, let's all hold hands and agree the PT is shit.
Shut the fuck up, idiot.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Getting the drop just means you can surprise the opponent, it's not an autowin button. I know what getting the drop on someone means. You obviously don't. You claim Vader wasn't at all surprised and I'm saying if he wasn't a bit surprised he would have disarmed Han before he came into the hall instead of letting him take shots at himself. This is not a popularity contest you idiot. If you feel so confident you can positively prove Vader wasn't at all surprised, I'm all ears.
What...what?

You aren't honestly arguing that Vader didn't know that Han was on the other side of the door, did you? Even though Vader went to Bespin for the sole purpose of trapping Han, Leia and Chewie, and had Lando lead the trio to him? :roll:

And even if Vader was just going to Cloud City for a vacation, being a Force user, he can easily detect whether or not there are lifeforms in his immediate vicinity; ie, through a door. It's kind of one of the most basic Force skills that your average mook Jedi does regularly, all the time. And Vader's helmet possesses infrared and ultraviolet vision.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

TPM touches the concept of the Jedi Trials. The council didn't think Obi Wan was ready for them yet, but days later he was able to defeat the Sith. So it's clear it's not a purely skill think, at least not a combat skill thing. It is shown in the movie as a dramatic event that Obi Wan was able to both call Qui Jin's lightsaber and force leap up the pit. You could make an argument that Obi Wan as also pumping out massive amounts of Jedi Force jamming to confused Maul while all this was going on. It's possible one of the key indicators of the Jedi Trials is to see if a Jedi can do multiple Force feats at the same time, to concentrate on multiple things at once. Also, you can't escape the notion that Obi Wan faced evil and survived, Jedi ethics and morals intact.

Anyway, short version, I agree with Havok, difference between Padawan and Jedi is a bit more complex than "Look Master, I can swing my lightsaber in a really cool way."
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red