Cast a Hypothetical OT Remake

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Cast a Hypothetical OT Remake

Post by Metahive »

I brought up the idea of remaking the original trilogy in another thread, now I wonder how you would recast the various roles if the decision was up to you. I myself admit that I am completely stumped at the moment and can't think of any obvious choices, safe maybe keeping Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.
Thank you in advance for your input.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Cast a Hypothetical OT Remake

Post by Knife »

Christian Bale as Han Solo
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Did they have throat cancer a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I do the ENTIRE THING in CGI. Bring in voice actors that sound like the original cast as much as possible.

And since it is a remake/reboot. I tweak a few things and make it a separate continuity, and have the Endor battle actually be on Kashyyk with the Wookiees using hidden salvaged CIS equipment left behind in Ep III. I even go so far as to make mention that this is just one of many different possibilites, the Emperor in this case sees the Battle of Endor in a vision, doesn't like the outcome and in this AU he moves the whole fuckin deal to Kashyykk or maybe there is even a better place for it.

Also, I have one of the characters, probably Yoda or Obi Wan, clearly specifically state that there are no Jedi left except for Obi Wan, Yoda, Luke, Leia*.

(second idea)

I USE MY FANFIC AS THE BASIS AND PAY MYSELF A SHITLOAD OF MONEY.

(third idea, collaborated with SuperShadow)

*the sentient hand of Mace Windu (Mace transfers all of his Force eseence into his severed hand before falling out of the window and then that hand is later attached to Luke Skywalker to amplify his force powers and allows him to defeat Vader even without training, Windu's hand then absorbs the Force lightning from the Emperor to save Luke and in a gesture of defiance it rips itself free and explodes in the Emperor's face which gives Vader time to toss him down the shaft.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh boy...

Clive Owen as Han Solo
Christopher Walken as Tarkin
Denzel Washington as Lando Calrissian
Micheal Cain as Obi-Wan
Megan Fox as Princess Leia
Taylor Lautner as Luke Skywalker
Benicio Del Toro as Vader (voice)
Brad Pitt as Wedge
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I can't imagine Taylor Lautner of all people playing the lovefruit of Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala. That would immediately make me suspicious of Padme having had an affair.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Make it a one-man show starring Robert Pattinson.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

No.

Havok, not sure what I've got instead, but Clive Owen? A lot of of the stuff he's done has been fairly grim, serious, dark and moody- I see where that looks good, but I don't think he's laid- back and cocky enough for Han Solo. Most of his roles are just too intense for that.

What about Michael Chiklis? If Han had stayed in the Starfleet, I think he would have turned out close to Vic Mackey from The Shield anyway. I think he could do it.

Walken, Washington, Brad Pitt- I can see them in those parts, I'll go along with that. Fox, not sure- she might look the part, but can she act? (Does she need to?)

Michael Caine, on the other hand- Obi-Wan would only have been about fifty at most, probably mid- forties, when he confronted Vader. Caine's far too old for the lightsaber fight scene. He could do the acting, probably standing on his head, but I don't think he could manage to stand on his head without breaking at least three bones. Ewan McGregor might be right for it after all.

I have no idea who Taylor Lautner is. (Brief google later)- I don't see that working. You're trying to cast a hollywood emo pretty-boy as a farmboy. Casting him as Cade Skywalker might fit, but not as the kid from Anchorhead.

I think for Luke, you actually need a nerd; someone who can start out naive and eager, and grow in the course of the trilogy. What was his name, District 9, played Wikus? Five, ten years too old, but somebody like that.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Round Two!

Michael Cera as Luke Skywalker
Chevy Chase as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Bradley Cooper as Han Solo

Hey, this thing practically writes itself!

Alternatively, Jeffrey Tambor as Obi-Wan, Will Arnett as Han, Portia de Rossi as Leia - I think you can see where I'm going with this.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote: Alternatively, Jeffrey Tambor as Obi-Wan,
Jeffery Tambor as Wat Tambor
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Round Three:

All the good guys are black.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Round Three:

Even Lando?

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Han Solo = Will Smith
Obi-Wan Kenobi = Morgan Freeman
Leia = Gina Torres

Luke, Hell I don't know, J August Richards?

Lando - doesn't need to be changed. Though the character would need a slight overhaul to accomodate.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Samuel L. Jackson/Jack Nicholson as the Emperor.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Crazedwraith wrote:

Han Solo = Will Smith
Obi-Wan Kenobi = Morgan Freeman
Leia = Gina Torres

Luke, Hell I don't know, J August Richards?

Lando - doesn't need to be changed. Though the character would need a slight overhaul to accomodate.
I was thinking Michael K. Williams (or Chiwetel Ejiofor?) as Han, Don Cheadle as Lando, maybe Tristan Wilds or Michael B. Jordan as Luke.

Round Four:

Betty White as Chewbacca. Go from there.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I think Terrance Howard is infinetly more suited to the role of Lando than Denzil Washington or Don Cheadle. He has more of that smooth ladies man mixed with scoundrel vibe to him that was key to the character.