Why didn't the Rebels land directly at the base at Endor?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Why didn't the Rebels land directly at the base at Endor?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

One thing I was just thinking about regarding the Rebel plan was why didn't they launch a direct assault out of the shuttle? Unless I'm missing something, it would seem to have been the most foolproof method of gaining access to the base. It would have also prevented the Empire from realizing something was up when the shuttle fails to land after gaining clearance. Does anyone know if the platform is connected to the main base or not?
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Re: Why didn't the Rebels land directly at the base at Endor

Post by The Original Nex »

Probably because they would have all been killed by imperial guards who were operating under the assumption that there would be a Rebel attack?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:One thing I was just thinking about regarding the Rebel plan was why didn't they launch a direct assault out of the shuttle? Unless I'm missing something, it would seem to have been the most foolproof method of gaining access to the base. It would have also prevented the Empire from realizing something was up when the shuttle fails to land after gaining clearance. Does anyone know if the platform is connected to the main base or not?
Did you miss stuff like AT-ATs and other heavy firepower protecting the bunker? Yeah, running into all that while making a direct drop is not going to be pleasant for the rebels.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:One thing I was just thinking about regarding the Rebel plan was why didn't they launch a direct assault out of the shuttle?
Well, there was at least an AT-AT, and a few hundreds or more Stormtroopers. I think that they could only try and have at least some Stormtroopers searching the forest for them while they attack or go kamikaze. And going kamikaze assume the enemy has not something like THIS or worse ready to shoot down the kamikaze.
SeaTrooper
Youngling

Post by SeaTrooper »

The Original Nex wrote:Probably because they would have all been killed by imperial guards who were operating under the assumption that there would be a Rebel attack?
Exactly. The whole purpose of the shield generator was to protect DSII, and would thus HAVE to be strongly garrisoned and defended. A better question would be how the Rebels expected to get anyway. With only a squad of commandoes, they were going in fully understanding that they were hugely outnumbered, but WEREN'T aware of the back door yet. Landing on the pad would have put them in the sights of the garrisons strongest and best planned defences, so I guess sneaking in was likely their only choice.
"Know Enough To Be Afraid" - Transylvania Polygnostic

The Royal Navy has not survived for so long by setting an example for others,
but by making an example of those others...