Chalk up sucess of YV invasion to NR incompetence?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Chalk up sucess of YV invasion to NR incompetence?

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Think about it, sure the NR cuts back on their militay expenses cause there a happy little peace loving hippy government but lets look back. After their victory at the Battle of Endor they fight the Ssi-ruuvi an outside alien force. Later (not sure where in the timeframe) they fight the Nagai, and the Tof (sp?) and a couple more aliens that came from outside their borders. you'd think after so many attempts on their galaxy from unknown aliens they might at least wanna increase ship production enough to protect there borders. Do they? Of course not so here comes the YV, storming through NR territory with no problem. Why? Chalk it up to NR leaders incompetence. Had they learned from th past they might have had a better chance to defeat the YV. I feel sorry for the poor saps, think of what those Imps woulda done to the YV, tsk tsk NR, tsk tsk.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Wedge even said that if the people running the NR would have left the millitary alone then he would have been retired by now, or something like it.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Don't be so hard on the NR. The military tried its best to stop the YV. And this particular mess is the fault of those anti-Jedi politicians like Pwoe. BTW, has anyone else noticed that the EU is rather harsh on the politicians?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Lando says in the NJO that the reason Leia asked for the IR's help was because the NR's military was keeping the different member worlds from attacking each other.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

The Ssi-Ruuvi weren't extragalactic, just deep in the Outer Rim.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The problem with the NR was that they handed anything outside the Core and certain important Mid rim worlds to the Vong simply because they didnt want to move their assets away from protecting the core.

The vong walked in and didnt face a major battle for about a year or so.

The political system killed the NR - too many conflicting agendas and not enough care for the people.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

The problem comes with one name.....Borsk Fey'lya.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yeah and he did his best during the Thrawn Trilogy to see the NR burn - he puts himself first and foremost, that isnt the sort of person you want as leader.

Blasted Bothans , well they aint all bad I suppose.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

TheDarkling wrote:Yeah and he did his best during the Thrawn Trilogy to see the NR burn - he puts himself first and foremost, that isnt the sort of person you want as leader.

Blasted Bothans , well they aint all bad I suppose.
It's the politians in NR that are bad and in which the writers are conveying to us about our era of what they do.

It proves that those in a seat of power in the government may be appointed by the ppl but doesn't work for the ppl.. That our government is plague by the very same corrupt and greedy bastards which then may lead us to our downfall if they are not stopped..

Cyaround,
Jason
P.S.- Current political bastard.....Tom Daschle.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

If it the GE won the war between them & the NR,they would've been able to hold off the YV way easier.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

master_yoda: Yes I think the empire would have taken on the Vong alot easier however the people may cause trouble on the home front if they get crazy ideas of freedom.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Captain_Cyran wrote:The problem comes with one name.....Borsk Fey'lya.

Yeah, he had the mentality of: better first among the barbarians than second in Rome.
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Nova's opinion of Vector Prime

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--I HATED Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order) by R. A. Salvatore.
--In a fictional universe any idiot can make up something that is more powerful than anything previously existing. That is exactly what that D&D hack writer did in my opinion. Not to mention killing off Chewy! I never read another book in the series and sure as hell none of his other books.
Nova Andromeda
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Agreed. I was wondering where they dug RAS up after reading the first few chapters.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

I predicted it, I doubt anyone will agree though. As soon as I heard RAS was writing the Ep II novel, I said it would not be as good as the other four. It was pretty good, but it sure lacked.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I don't doubt you, but I never read the novelization.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

disagree

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I disagree with your estimation of Vector Prime.

I didn't get the sense that the Vong had any "better" technology than the Empire/Republic. In fact, I think Salvatore goes out of his way to make it look more or less equal. The Edge that the Vong had was surprise, the fact that they had agents and allies and intelligence services within the Republic, and had already worked out tactics and technology to use against the SW technology.

The Republic could have fought them off had there not been political saboteurs and such within the Republic. Even in the first novel, the Vong were halted for a time by a small task force (although granted, it involved the Jedi at Skywalker's behest).

Its too bad that Chewy died, but man, Salvatore's got cohones to kill of a main character like that. Previously, I think the biggest character that died in the EU was Crix freaking Madine, in Darksaber (crappy book).
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Its too bad that Chewy died, but man, Salvatore's got cohones to kill of a main character like that.

Yeah, at leat his death was dramatic.
His Divine Shadow

Re: disagree

Smiling Bandit wrote:IIts too bad that Chewy died, but man, Salvatore's got cohones to kill of a main character like that. Previously, I think the biggest character that died in the EU was Crix freaking Madine, in Darksaber (crappy book).
You don't really think that Salvatore came up with the idea of killing Chewie do you?
His Divine Shadow

Re: Nova's opinion of Vector Prime

Nova Andromeda wrote:--I HATED Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order) by R. A. Salvatore.
--In a fictional universe any idiot can make up something that is more powerful than anything previously existing. That is exactly what that D&D hack writer did in my opinion. Not to mention killing off Chewy! I never read another book in the series and sure as hell none of his other books.
More powerfull? Nah, thats just because the NR don't know what they are figtjing yet, or how to, but the Vong do.
They're not more advanced, infact their organic tech blows chunks, infact all organic tech blows chunks.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

And it's not just Chewy! Anakin! Anakin freaking Solo gets killed off! And that lousy goon Thracken gets put in charge of Corellia?!?!?!?

Where's my gun?!
JADAFETWA
His Divine Shadow

IG-88E wrote:And it's not just Chewy! Anakin! Anakin freaking Solo gets killed off!
Yes well it is done as to not to suffer from the same effects that all the other books did, I mean, there was no real worry the main characters would survive they couldn't die, now with this they have shown all bets are off, makes for a much more realistic reading experience.
IG-88E wrote:And that lousy goon Thracken gets put in charge of Corellia?!?!?!?
Who?
IG-88E wrote:Where's my gun?!
Here, *bang*
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Thracken, Han's cousin? Thracken Sal-Solo? He was in the Corellian Trilogy. In NJO, Anakin hesitated to use Centerpoint Station as a strategic weapon. Thracken grabbed the controls and ended up wiping out both a YV fleet and the Hapan fleet!

As to the gun, thanks...I needed that. *Pulls bullet out of head, reloads it. Now then, to business!
JADAFETWA
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

HMMMM hard headed.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Yeah, check this out!

Walks over to starship bulkhead, bangs head three or four times, comes back leaving huge dent.

Yah,...sheee?...Harddd headds...heehee...im goingg tttoo nap now....rights here...*falls unconcious*
JADAFETWA